Code of Conduct

Default What should I wear to impress older, sophisticated men?

I'm only 24 so "older" is 25 and above but let's put the target age at late 20's to late 30's. Here are the ones I have:

Alien (2005)
    Thierry Mugler

Allure Eau de Parfum (1999)
    Chanel

Ankh (2008)
    Scents of Time

Cool Water Woman (1996)
    Davidoff

Eau du Soir (1990)
    Sisley

Endymion (2003)
    Penhaligon's

L'Instant de Guerlain (2003)
    Guerlain

Magie Noire (1978)
    Lancôme

Maya (2008)
    Scents of Time

Parfum Sacré (1990) - I have the Intense version
    Caron

Trésor (new) (1990)
    Lancôme

I also have samples and decants of over 20 fragrances, most of which have frankincense and myrrh. They include Amouage Jubilation XXV, Baccarat Les Larmes Sacree de Thebes and Amouage Memoir. I've also just bought Annayake Miyako.

I met a 38-year-old man who said he hated Chanel no. 5. Obviously he isn't a fragrance enthusiast but he made me think that I should wear fragrances that are crowd-pleasers and stay away from things like Magie Noire.
    Last edited by Venutian; 19th December 2010 at 05:41 AM.

Default Re: What should I wear to impress older, sophisticated men?

Do you live in LA by any chance?

Whatever smells kind of like cookies - Endymion I'd say.

The sexiest thing I've smelled on a woman is Silver Mountain Water. Makes me want to do this:

Last edited by adonis; 19th December 2010 at 02:34 AM.

Oh no, I live in England, near London. :P Haha

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by Venutian View Post
    Oh no, I live in England, near London.
    I'm sorry to hear that, my condolences.

teehee

I'd go with the Guerlain

Angel for women I think would really be appealing.

I'll just get on The Tube. See you in 400 hours.

Stop by Harrod's sometime and try a spritz of SMW.

I'm perhaps too old to render judgement for the audience you're targeting but honestly my perspective is anything smells great on a 24-year-old woman. Just about anything smells great on women in general. It's like icing on the cake. I can't imagine what you would wear that they wouldn't like.

Angel is heart stopping to a lot of men, but I suppose it does take a certain attitude to wear it as a woman. I have to give Alien a sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I'm perhaps too old to render judgement for the audience you're targeting but honestly my perspective is anything smells great on a 24-year-old woman. Just about anything smells great on women in general. It's like icing on the cake. I can't imagine what you would wear that they wouldn't like.

Angel is heart stopping to a lot of men, but I suppose it does take a certain attitude to wear it as a woman. I have to give Alien a sniff.
    Alien to me is not that great, there is a fecal note in it that drives me away. Angel though is excellent, I can only imagine what it would smell like mixed with vintage tabarome.

Thanks for the suggestions and jests. :P

I got complimented on Endymion yesterday but it was by another woman. XD

A few questions:

Isn't Silver Mountain Water a men's fragrance or is there a women's version I didn't know about?

Doesn't Angel smell too...common and generic now since it's been emulated a lot?

What is it about these two fragrances that men like so much?

I would suggest Eau du Soir.

Thanks for the suggestions and jests. :P

I got complimented on Endymion yesterday but it was by another woman. XD

A few questions:

Isn't Silver Mountain Water a men's fragrance or is there a women's version I didn't know about?

Doesn't Angel smell too...common and generic now since it's been emulated a lot?

What is it about these two fragrances that men like so much?
    Silver mountain water is unisex, J Lo supposedly wears it. Angel is a great scent because it is an oriental and oriental scents to me are sexy for some odd reason.

Am I to understand you are looking for a "boxer-briefs dropper"??

SIGN ME UP!

Creed SMW and MI are being suggested, and while great scents, I wouldn't give "extra credit" to a woman that wears what I wear. Not that it wou;d be a strike against but if we are splitting hairs here, I rather something undeniably feminine on my ladies.....
    Last edited by Force of One; 19th December 2010 at 04:40 AM.

Silver Mountain Water and Millesime Imperial by Creed are both unisex scents. My wife wears my MI quite often, and it is terrific on her. I keep trying to get her to wear SMW, but she hasn't yet.

Not sure if I'd call this a solid recommendation for you, by my wife accidentally sprayed on some of my Tabarome Millesime, mistaking it for Millesime Imperial, and she rocked it. You might give it a sample, although it's definitely more masculine.

SMW is Unisex. I think it's far more on the feminine side. Alpine landscapes, Julie Andrews singing "The Sound of Music"...

You saw the vid posted above For me, it just makes me ravenous. Had a bottle, not my thing, but when a GF started wearing it...wow. Of course you should try and test and try again and test again. Harrods should have samples of it as well.
    Last edited by adonis; 19th December 2010 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    Silver mountain water is unisex, J Lo supposedly wears it. Angel is a great scent because it is an oriental and oriental scents to me are sexy for some odd reason.
    Well, I'm intrigued by SMW now. Will take a sniff of it next time I'm in the local store that carries Creed. I still don't really see the appeal of Angel, though. It's too recognisable, everybody wears it and it smells kind of girly to me.

Force of One: yeah, if those boxer briefs belong to the kind of guy I'm looking for!

Wow, what is it with guys and Creed? I don't see this kind of Creed worship in the female's section. So SMW, Millisime Imperial and Millisime Tabarome - okay, got it. Will test them in the store.

Speaking only for myself, I'd be tremendously impressed by Ankh. Subtle, mysterious and grounded incense notes. Not mainstream.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Well, I'm intrigued by SMW now. Will take a sniff of it next time I'm in the local store that carries Creed. I still don't really see the appeal of Angel, though. It's too recognisable, everybody wears it and it smells kind of girly to me.

Force of One: yeah, if those boxer briefs belong to the kind of guy I'm looking for!
    They have a lot of floral scents many are more mature scents for women, I think they have a lot of nice timeless scents for men and that is why I love the company so much and the quality of the scents.

Wow, what is it with guys and Creed? I don't see this kind of Creed worship in the female's section. So SMW, Millisime Imperial and Millisime Tabarome - okay, got it. Will test them in the store.
    I was just going off of what I have in my wardrobe that my wife wears, or should wear. Couldn't really think of anything else, although I bet Baladin would smell great on her, too.

And I totally didn't see that you were only looking for recommendations from your own wardrobe until now. The only one I have experience with is Endymion....never thought to offer any to my wife, but it just might work! I'm 35, and personally like on a woman anything out of the ordinary that isn't bubblegummy sweet and/or floral. I'm not a fan of a lot of "old-school" women's scents. Besides Shalimar, of course.

Angel for Woman is as repulsive as A*Men. My wife had a large bottle of it 10 yrs ago and I refused to be in the same room as her when she wore it. This is when we were dating. She moved in and the bottle didn't come with her. She was 24 at the time. If I smelled this on a stranger passing by I would ask them what the f*#@ their problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC View Post
    If I smelled this on a stranger passing by I would ask them what the f*#@ their problem is.

The fragrances I most like on women don't include anything by Thierry Mugler, they're way too sweet and I don't find them remotely sexy.

Out of the fragrances listed I'd say the Sisley.

However, others I love on women include:

Coco Mademoiselle - feminine, pretty yet sexy
    Malabah by Penhaligon's - my favourite fragrance on a woman by a long way.
    Gucci by Gucci
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Flowerbomb by Viktor and Rolf
    West Side by Bond no 9
    Attrape Coeur by Guerlain
    Agent Provocateur
    Lady Vengeance by Juliette Has a Gun
    Cuir Beluga by Guerlain

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Wow, what is it with guys and Creed?
    This is the unofficial Creed forum.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    This is the unofficial Creed forum.
    Tell me about it...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Narciso Rodriguez for Her.

Try the Chanel Les Exclusifs - particularly Coromandel and Beige for cooler weather, Gardenia, 28 La Pausa and Bel Respiro for warmer weather.

Frederic Malle Carnal Flower should drop any guy's pants.

Also try the Tom Ford Private Blends (called so in the hope they will generate blending of the privates) - I smelled Tobacco Vanille on a French SA recently and it was incredible.

Sorry to go all niche - I'm not a niche snob at all, they're just ones that spring to mind.
    Good luck.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

don't spend your money on creed. they are overpriced and generally bad.

you would impress me if you would make a decision of your own and come up with something that is distinctive, interesting, smells really good, and fits your person like a glove.

i can't give your much personal recommendations without knowing who you are. all i can say is, pick something that you really love (don't settle for less!) and not something you think you should wear!

Chinatown - Bond # 9.

I don't like Chanel #5 as well.

Looking at your pick, anything will impress me!!

LOL, kidding

Try Bal a Versailles, the most sensual scent of the world!

Basenotes Plus

Hi, Venutian. I happen to be a 39 year old guy dating a 20-something woman. But we both LOVE Chanel fragrances!
    If your guy doesn't enjoy No.5 perhaps he'd prefer some of the newer stuff from Chanel Les Exclusifs like 28 La Pausa or 31 rue Cambon?

I've never tried any Scents of Time but from your list (incl decants), I'd say go with Jubilation XXV.

I'm only 24 so "older" is 25 and above but let's put the target age at late 20's to late 30's. Here are the ones I have:

Alien (2005)
    Thierry Mugler

Allure Eau de Parfum (1999)
    Chanel

Ankh (2008)
    Scents of Time

Cool Water Woman (1996)
    Davidoff

Eau du Soir (1990)
    Sisley

Endymion (2003)
    Penhaligon's

L'Instant de Guerlain (2003)
    Guerlain

Magie Noire (1978)
    Lancôme

Maya (2008)
    Scents of Time

Parfum Sacré (1990) - I have the Intense version
    Caron

Trésor (new) (1990)
    Lancôme

I also have samples and decants of over 20 fragrances, most of which have frankincense and myrrh. They include Amouage Jubilation XXV, Baccarat Les Larmes Sacree de Thebes and Amouage Memoir. I've also just bought Annayake Miyako.

I met a 38-year-old man who said he hated Chanel no. 5. Obviously he isn't a fragrance enthusiast but he made me think that I should wear fragrances that are crowd-pleasers and stay away from things like Magie Noire.
    this

It's nice to meet you too! ;P

Angel, in theory, is a great fragrance, but the reality is: you'll smell like someone who hasn't shopped in 20 years! I also think N° 5 is really too demanding/medicinal/abstract and sends out a weird message. Creed's unisex fragrances fare much better on men. I like the idea of a younger woman and an older man entwined in the scent of a warm oriental; something that gives you a nice glow. My suggestions are: Bvlgari Black, Coco Mademoiselle or perhaps, Hermes Eau de Merveilles.

if those boxer briefs belong to the kind of guy I'm looking for!
    describe this guy to us. what characteristics are you attracted to? for example, should he be an outdoors kind of guy, intellectual or smart but simple, is he manly/macho or does he have a feminine side, adventurous, does he need to have a strong sense of humor, etc, just the most essential things for you. and equally important, what's his taste and style like?

Quote Originally Posted by shadidahs View Post
    this
    i agree with you point. showing some legs and wearing sexy clothes can't be beaten when it comes to grabbing attention. don't like her style, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Try the Chanel Les Exclusifs - particularly Coromandel and Beige for cooler weather, Gardenia, 28 La Pausa and Bel Respiro for warmer weather.

Frederic Malle Carnal Flower should drop any guy's pants.

Also try the Tom Ford Private Blends (called so in the hope they will generate blending of the privates) - I smelled Tobacco Vanille on a French SA recently and it was incredible.

Sorry to go all niche - I'm not a niche snob at all, they're just ones that spring to mind.
    Good luck.

Ged
    carnal flower is really nice for a lady, fracas as well, those are some great tuberose scents, arabian wood by tom ford is nice as well.

if and when it matters, it depends on the setting.
    for example angel & heels in the supermarket would be a no no for me.