Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Plum by Mary Greenwell

This is a bit of a sleeper release it seems - only available in the UK and at House of Fraser !Ok ......maybe it's not a sleeper but I am outta the loop .
    I was doing a bit of internet trolling and found a few of reviews for it.
    http://www.thescentcritic.com/2010/1...ary-greenwell/
    http://www.nstperfume.com/2010/10/28...new-fragrance/
    http://www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/expert...m-perfume.aspx
    http://museinwoodenshoes.wordpress.c...reenwell-plum/

Notes of : - peach, blackcurrant, plum, bergamot and lemon. Harmonious heart notes of Gardenia, tuberose, orange flower absolute, rose absolute and jasmine absolute. Followed by delicious Dry down of Precious Woods, Sandalwood, Oakmoss, Patchouli, Amber, and White Musks. ( Thank you for the notes ,Now Smell This www.nstperfume.com )

It's by Mary Greenwell a make up artist but what intrigues me is that it is a 'real' chypre apparently.
    Has anyone in the UK tried it ?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Default Re: Plum by Mary Greenwell

Yes, infact I have a sample. Coughs, and says well actually I have not tried it on the skin yet. On the spill I sprayed it was quite a powerhouse and very fruity. I look at the sample which I have had since November!!!! Keep saying you should try it and see how it develops on the skin. I am a not a big fruity fan and this was very very fruity on the spill.

OK, I went and put some on. Starts very floral sweet gardenia, jasmine with fruit. Then develops a cough mixture type note which is staying(I actually like the cough mixture vibe). So on me I am getting a warm cough mixture(this is the patchouli which is standing out), with stewed fruit mainly peach and underlaying sweetness. If I put my nose to my wrist and inhale deeply I do get floral notes, but that is the only way.

Honestly this to me is not a chypre, well not a classic what we on Basenotes would consider a chypre. Its a modern fragrance fruity and truth be told not outstanding or different. It is rich and heady, dread to think of spraying this on the skin, light hand for it.

I wouldn't buy it.
    Last edited by donna255; 19th December 2010 at 08:09 AM.
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution

Thanks Donna! I appreciate it ! This one really went under the radar - for me anyway. I'm a little disappointed that it's really not that chypre like . Sounds a little like Poison by Dior. May try this one when I hit the UK next year.

I have a bottle of this and I love it. Surprisingly, I don't get any fruit, just lots of aldehydes and a gorgeous "perfumey-ness" that's been missing from a lot of recent perfume releases.

Oddly, I also find it doesn't last as well as a traditional Chypre on the skin, but this is a very good example of a modern perfume release that hasn't been designed purely to attract "pink princesses".

Highly recommended from here.

Another fan here.

It is a proper, grown up perfume. I don't mind the fruit when it is well done, which I think is the case here. I think I will invest in a bottle soon.

It has just been released in the UK on Mary's own website see here: http://www.marygreenwell.com, and the frangrance states, "A classic chypre with a memorable twist. Top notes of plum, blackcurrant, peach, bergamot and lemon blend with notes of Gardenia, Tuberose Abolute, Orange Flower Absolute, Rose Absolute and Jasmine Absolute and a base of precious woods, Sandalwood, Oakmoss, Patchouli, Amber and White Musk"

Is it available at the US-based web-discounters? Are there samples available yet? If somebody has a little bit to share (1-3ml), please PM me to arrange a swap -- I will try to accomodate your tates. Please? I will ship everywhere.

I tried this in House of Fraser the other day- lovely, intensely fruity and rich to me. I didn't get any chypre but it was nice all the same. Pricey though, for what it is

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Is it available at the US-based web-discounters? Are there samples available yet? If somebody has a little bit to share (1-3ml), please PM me to arrange a swap -- I will try to accomodate your tates. Please? I will ship everywhere.
    Twolf sweets - send me your address - I'll send you my sample !

Thank you, Mimi.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs H View Post
    I tried this in House of Fraser the other day- lovely, intensely fruity and rich to me. I didn't get any chypre but it was nice all the same. Pricey though, for what it is
    Yikes! 90 for a bottle. And the 7.5 ml purse spray is 25. Does it have that stewed fruit thing that Serge Lutens is a master of?

Not as high quality stewed fruit as Serge.
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution

Re .the stewed fruit - I agree with Donna ,who was the kind one who sent me a sample earlier this year when I was dying to try it .

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Not as high quality stewed fruit as Serge.
    Ah thank you Donna, my lemmings are calming down. If she can't stew the fruits properly I'm not gonna shoot for even a sample

You can find this at The Crushed Violet in Lexington, Kentucky. www.thecrushedviolet.com
    Last edited by helenvanpattersonpatton; 13th May 2012 at 01:39 PM.

Thank you, helen.

Actually, I will wear some this coming week -- seems the weather will be permitting -- from Mimi's sample. I already know who will be sniffing it next after I am through.

You're welcome! :-)

Hello, I'm wearing this today, glad to see this thread.
    Wasn't sure at first because I'm not a fruity fan but I was sent a sample and it's cold and grey today so thought I would give it a try.
    Yes its very ripe plum - I thought it should be purple in colour! It's almost like peeling a plum skin back and squeezing it over some plush flowers.
    It almost got a bit boozy but then yes a little bit of Mitsouko seeped out. A fruity chypre?

Anyway, its pretty sophiscated and grown up - not for younger fruity fans I'd say.
    xxx
    I always ask myself... 'Could you wear it with a hangover?'

Finally tried Mary Greenwell's "Plum" on skin today - the everlasting but pleasant paper spill test originally made me somewhat wary! - and compared with "Mon Parfum Cherie par Camille" on the other wrist.

The "MPCPC" edt is classic "old school" lady's perfume - with muted, musty, indistinguishable scents all together. (This is not a criticism: with "proper" perfume, I find it hard to single out individual notes.) On fabric, where my sleeve got spritzed, there's a pleasing herbal-minty quality coming through now, six hours after application.

"Plum" is, by comparison, brighter, warmer, with mouth-wateringly ripe or stewed fruit, settling into soft faintly-vanilla woods cosiness, to my nose. On fabric, again, the fruits last longer and are softer now (six hours after application).

I think "Plum" is one to try on skin and to re-try; it might well be a scent that grows on patient people, and it definitely works on fabric.
    ("MPCPC" is one where I'll look to test the edp.)