Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What percentage of your wardrobe is finite?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10%

13 22.81%
  • 20%

13 22.81%
  • 30%

6 10.53%
  • 40%

3 5.26%
  • 50%

6 10.53%
  • 60%

16 28.07%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default What percentage of your wardrobe is discontinued, limited edition, or pre-reformulated?

It's pretty sobering to look at your wardrobe lineup and consider what is or could become extinct. Some companies aren't very big, and when their primary nose goes, so may the company itself. Reformulations are an ongoing concern, and limited editions intended to temporarily drive up company sales can actually drive us consumers insane.

Looking at my core wardrobe of 18, I count 5 scents currently discontinued (Aubepine-Acacia, Fig Leaf & Cassis, Dior Lily, VIP Room, Guerlain With Love), 1 pre-reformulation which I prefer (Nanadebary Green), and 1 with an uncertain lifespan (Dark Amber & Ginger Lily was supposed to be LE, but I think it might be kept in circulation).

That means 6 out of 18 are limited treasures. How stable is your stable of scents?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: What percentage of your wardrobe is discontinued, limited edition, or pre-reformulated?

I get awfully sad about my never-to-be-renewed fragrances. I eke them out, wear them very sparingly, and dread the day when the bottles are empty completely. I've got 2 bottles of Le Dix left, 2 bottles of Black Cashmir, a dodgy bottle of Monsoon, and have recently joyously found an outlet selling my ANCIENT but much-loved Yardley Chique (not the eau to toilette, the concentrate), a very citrusy chypre that I adored when I was in my late teens and still wear. I hunt them down and I stash them, but I know that one day I will have to say goodbye to them forever.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Default Re: What percentage of your wardrobe is discontinued, limited edition, or pre-reformulated?

I can't look. I don't need to become totally depressed.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Blog Entries

My stable is fairly stable. Fortunately for me, my big loves don't seem to be in immediate danger. Of my collection of 25, Theorema is completely gone. That one bums me out the most. Molinard de Molinard & Mitsouko are vintage, and Joy might be (it's in the little black bottle with red stopper; are those still made?) ; then there are my two Avons, Imari (vintage) and Lahana (discontinued.) I do enjoy having all six of these, but Theorema is the only one I'd consider replacing once I'm out.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 19th December 2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Cannot count!!

As near as I can tell, about 35% are discontinued entirely, or the current formulation is not one I'd want.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

50% for me.

I've always realized that the perfumes I love tend to be discontinued and reformulated, but I never actually added this up before and even I am shocked at that figure.

However, I am a limited edition myself, and with 54 years under my belt, will not live long enough to use up everything I own, so I plan to keep using them at whatever pace I please. No holding back for me!
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 19th December 2010 at 07:26 PM.

60% plus for me. I find the hunt and challenge of obtaining vintages and pre-reformulated, discontinued, HTF fragrances thrilling - albeit somewhat anxiety provoking seeing as how I love to wear each and every one.

Blog Entries

I find it necessary to hoard some fragrances due to the constant reformulations and discontinuation of the fragrance industry.

I am still madly buying vintage chypres & anything with green notes. I just scored some old Alliage (not Aliage with one "l"), Gucci Envy parfum and some vintage Givenchy III edp. I have bottles of Y, Cuir de Lancome, Paloma Picasso edt (not edp) and the original Scherrer stashed away. I thought that my last bottle of Diorella was a bit depressing until I smelled the newest reformulation. I still hold memorial services for the original Odalisque. I told my daughter that if anything happens to me in the next few years, don't think I'm crazy for hoarding perfume. And don't sell any of it for 10cents at a yard sale!

I just realized the other day that in 2010 I didn't buy one single bottle of any scent that is in production in that version. All bottles have been old versions or discontinued scents. (Got some new scents as decants, though, and many samples).
    More than 60% in my collection are discontinued/reformulated ones. Not sure I would have had as many bottles, if it wasnt for my urge to "save" them in case I might not find them again. (And I actually look forward to a little less retro from me in 2011.)

I did a quick count. Sad
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

I did a quick scan and only seem to have two bottles that are current formulation of anything ... so that's 90%? Maybe more. I have a few discontinued frags too.
    Considering I don't have a terribly big collection I find that horrible - daunting.

The two are Mitsouko edp and Jasmin Noir btw - I have vintage Mistouko too but I actually prefer the current formulation so I'm in no rush to stock up. JN might have changed too - the bottle is over two years old. *sigh*

This thread is not funny.
    He isn't poor because he lacks money but because everything he wants is unobtainable ...

My name is KaL - EL - EL - L - L - L ! D:

I'm a relatively new collector and I have found these last couple of years I have also been on the lookout for older Guerlains and paying special attention when it comes to any contemporary scents I like carrying an IFRA target . . . it was sad to see PdN having to reformulate some to comply.

Mine are very, very stable. The only two that i worried about were Cuir de Lancome and Feminite du Bois. I have plenty of Cuir, also plenty of FdB - and could probably do with the newer FdB, although I've not smelled it.

When they are gone, they are gone to me. I'll move on. But, I also probably won't run out of anything

Blog Entries

Between 30 and 40%, depending on how you count. My two bottles of Donna Karan Chaos are both pre-discontinuation, I have vintage/pre-reformulation versions only of Shalimar, Bal á Versailles, L'Air du Temps, Ma Griffe, Youth Dew, L'Aimant, N°5, Dior-Dior, Eau Sauvage, Fracas and Feminité du Bois. I own both vintage and current Bandit, and I'm not sure how Messe de Minuit is faring today.

Less stable than I though, in other words, but the only things that really worry me are the new Feminité du Bois and Bandit.

0%

I cant even participate at the pool!

=[

I don't list my vintage stuff here in my wardrobe. Counting the bottles in rotation my vintage share may be 30-40 %, but also taking into account the back-ups and hoarded stuff, it is definitely 50 %. Alas voted for 50 %.

Only the Byzance, Bvlgari, Insolence,Youth Dew, Jicky & L'Heure Bleue extrait is not reformulated/discontinued(but I suspect the latter two- from the '60s & 80s respectively are different from the current formulation as well).

Oh yeah, CK Eternity & Chanel Bois des Iles too. Not sure about Ombre Rose.

So for my wardrobe, the % of reformulated, discontinued & limited edition runs about 95%.

I try not to focus on vintage, although I dearly love the ones I have. Too frustrating!
    It's better for me to focus on the big talent pool that's out there now, and enjoy some of the great new frags as they release. Otherwise, I tend to think about my "lack", which is silly. I have around 400 bottles, and most of them excellent, old AND new.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

I've listed mine as 50%. It's a good guess, and it includes decants as well as full bottles.

I've spent time and money stocking up on niche, older formulations, dicontinued frags including great classics of the past, and backups of any that might be under threat of reformulation. I'm worried about Serge Lutens' and Annick Goutal frags, for example. I have long had a backup for Black Cashmere, so both my 100 ml bottles of that are the original formulation. I've recently bought more stock of the old Opium.

My BN wardrobe is out of date but I'd like to update it soon.

The mainstream scent market, the kind of thing that can be bought in high street outlets like Boots, has virtually nothing to offer me anymore. I don't buy those scents even as gifts for others. They are a waste of time for me. I'd rather take a chance on a blind buy of something more interesting from online sources than waste my money on the high street.
    Reformulation without information is fraud. Call the police.

I can't do a straightforward count either since so many of my bottles are redundant - I have everything I need to back-up backed-up several times over! But I'd say probably over half of the fragrances I own are no longer available in their original form ...maybe 60%. But at least I won't be - shouldn't be - running out of anything.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

What a good poll -- thanks, Quarry!

I tend to be discontinue-phobic, and have often not allowed myself to seek out vintage stuff out of fear of falling in love with what I cannot (without great difficulty) have. That sounds pretty depressing, now that I think of it…

There is a larger life-lesson here – one that I appear not to be learning very well

I love what 30 Roses said about our own "limited edition"-ness – very wise and well said!

Im triyng to find my first vintage, wich will be Opium Pour Femme EDT.
    Later i will try EDP, when i get the edt.

Since I stocked up I too decided not to skimp on anything above 50ml. I am still careful with anything difficult to replace, or very expensive such vintage Mitsouko extrait. That sort of thing is for special occasions.

I don,t want my stock to turn bad on me, even if it does sit in a cool dark place.
    Reformulation without information is fraud. Call the police.

Given the IFRA's determined swath of destruction, I generally assume that _nothing_ will ever be available for a repurchase. That is, a fragrance with the same name may be, but it probably won't be the same fragrance. The fragrance industry is busily ensuring that loyalty to a product will cease to be even a consideration. I hope that they're happy with the consequences.

But if I amble through my wardrobe to find scents that I know for a fact to be discontinued or already reformulated out of recognition, the figure's about 15%. I'd guess that in a year or two it's going to be more like thirty percent, as I gradually (I hope) get my hands on some of the vintage scents that I really want and as (sadly) perfume companies discontinue and merrily destroy more scents.

I can safely say 10-20%.....Gary

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phthalo View Post
    I tend to be discontinue-phobic, and have often not allowed myself to seek out vintage stuff out of fear of falling in love with what I cannot (without great difficulty) have. That sounds pretty depressing, now that I think of it…

There is a larger life-lesson here – one that I appear not to be learning very well
    It is interesting, how our fume collections mirror, in one way or another, our outlooks on life, and what we value.

I am guesstimating at 40% . I think -could very likely be much higher.
    Currently wearing: Walk On Air by Kate Spade

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I can't do a straightforward count either since so many of my bottles are redundant - I have everything I need to back-up backed-up several times over! But I'd say probably over half of the fragrances I own are no longer available in their original form ...maybe 60%. But at least I won't be - shouldn't be - running out of anything.
    same here

A very high percentage, but I have a knack for instant nostalgia. If it's discontinued, I need it. The thought of me using up all I have is preposterous and I am not concerned, just saddened. I'm not even saddened for myself as much as sad for the loss of many splendid scents.

A lot of the scents I love are not readily replaceable and if they were I probably wouldn't have as many bottles as I do.

To be perfectly honest, there are many lovely new fragrances I enjoy and would like to buy/wear but unlike the Billy Joel song the past IS something that gets in my way. The old fragrances and the thrill of the chase keep me from enjoying new creations as much as I otherwise would. And the new popular offerings of today will probably be looked back at with wistful longing for better days when they too are reformulated or discontinued.
    Last edited by Zibeline; 21st December 2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: added