Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Why Mouchoir de Monsieur?

The use of a cotton batiste hand rolled handkerchief is somewhat of a forgotten thing to most people. All Fragonistas should thus far be armed with them at all times liberally sprayed with the eau de toilette of preference. This discussion will involve alternate means of enjoying fine fragrance in one's personal daily habits. I can suggest very many that may not be as obvious to most as they have been to me. To wit: Anybody brave enough and equipped the appropriate ingredients should try this in the immediate, and comment on their appreciation/lack there of: In a tall tumbler, pour one shot of vodka. There in carefully put ONE DROP of Shalimar parfum. Mix with a spoon. Fill the glass with ice, then plain soda water: Drink.

deleted

Default Re: Why Mouchoir de Monsieur?

---
    Last edited by deleted; 7th January 2011 at 02:13 PM.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    carefully put ONE DROP of Shalimar parfum. Mix with a spoon. Fill the glass with ice, then plain soda water: Drink.
    wait, what?

It appears to me, having read so many fragrance reviews on basenotes, that few are those who are creative in their application of the juice, and with its' choice of concentration: One drop of perfume extract suspended in vodka or everclear can indeed make a sensational experience depending on which fragrance is chosen; Just one example--the usage of fragrant elixirs to stimulate the psyche is an underrated art to be sure: Notably, the scents of Lavender, Bergamot, "Menthe Crepue" (Mint) and rosemary are all cerebral awakeners that steady the thought process, allowing one to focus. Fragrances containing these, Mouchoir de Monsieur itself being an ironic example, seem to be made to perfume cotton handkerchiefs and linings: Spraying your handkerchief quite liberally with Mouchoir de Monsieur and then keeping it in your purse, breast pocket, or even in the back pocket of jeans, can allow for a kind of "secret weapon" in all circumstances, especially stressful and unpleasant ones: Any composition that contains large doses of lavender works beautifully for this application. The perfuming of linings of coats and jackets is another secret charm I would love to help others to discover. Stay tuned for point for point instructions on when, where, how much, and why.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Indeed. Follow these instructions to the letter, and you shall have an extraordinary drink. Most people don't stock "Everclear" in their liquor cabinets but it is better than plain vodka, or any vodka. Being straight grain alcohol it better diffuses the fragrant oils and minimizes the toxicity of the solvents inherent in the parfum. This works ONLY with parfum concentrations, and one need dispense precisely one drop into the shot of liquor, whichever it be, stir, add ice, then soda water: Garnish with some fresh parma violets or edible pansies if they are in season: Your guests won't believe how exquisite your secret house cocktail is. I used to serve these at parties in Paris, calling them "Flower Bombs" before Viktor and Rolf named their scent after them. This works with many of the sweet fragrances, like flower bomb, Joy or ones that contain quite a lot of violet: Shalimar is my pick because it is suave and very "gourmand." What not to try? Chypres are disasterous as oakmoss has an absolutely vile taste and anything too heavy weighted with musks or Coumarine: Think bright, feminine florals, or yummy gourmands like Angel which unveils a kind of mysterious white chocolate sensational surprise, tinged with the very unexpected taste of the etherial scents of flowers. Furthermore, bathing in fragrance, using only an eau de cologne concentration, while sipping one or two of these cocktails in preparation for a party can allow for a perfectly scented entrance: How to bathe in eau de cologne? Just ask.

deleted

---
    Last edited by deleted; 7th January 2011 at 02:13 PM.

deleted

---
    Last edited by deleted; 7th January 2011 at 02:12 PM.

Another long forgotten art: The fragrant inhalation, used medicinally for centuries: In Scandinavia they sell essential oils to inhale dropped atop a bowl of boiling water over which one holds the head, covering it with a towel. Fragrances do have curative properties. One, Comme des Garcons (Original) "is" a medicament. I have cured colds with it by dousing my chest with two sprays and lightly misting my pillow before going to bed: Not only does it have remarkable soporific qualities it regulates body temperature. In France the usage of suppositories is still a very common means of delivery of curative substances, virtually ignored in Norh America. Could the nose be just as effective, connecting as it does directly to the brain and thus affecting the entire body? Thank you Lovely Ash for reminding us all of more gentle times with your fabulously well chosen quote from "Picture."

We all can see that Our Lady Ash has impeccable manners, is lovely to behold, and has an innate sense of decorum that becomes her well, along with remarkable scruples and very high moral standards. Ash knows that I, MDM, am a devout fan, and she puts up with my excesses because she is charitable, patient, and a loyal friend. Some of us, though, just have no self control. It really only takes about 120ml of eau de cologne to bathe in it, emerging fresh as a daisy, and one tiny wee drop of precious Guerlain extract? not a damnable indulgence. Were Ash to allow for it I would explain how soaking the filters of Turkish Blend cigarettes in Robert Piguet's "Bandit," letting them air-dry, then leaving them out on a table at parties can provide for a very sultry atmosphere indeed, as opposed to the usual suffocating ones with that dreadful smell of cheap prison cigarettes like malboros wafting about....

i'm enjoying this. :)

deleted

---
    Last edited by deleted; 7th January 2011 at 02:12 PM.

oh wow. now thats an interesting idea.

did anyone from the party get food poisoning yet? coz if im not mistaken, most modern perfumes these days may contain synthetic stuff that may or may not be harmful. It's not a risk im willing to take.

But shalimar flavoured cocktails!! now thats nice! next i want l'instant PH flavoured bonbons.

Along with the release of Guerlain's Cologne du Parfumeur I remember reading that they made a drink (cocktail) with similar ingredients to the fragrance for guests to enjoy at its launch party at La Maison.

Guerlain also made (and might still make?) some extremely potent and tenacious bath oils - Shalimar being one of them I've seen on eBay. I've not experienced these vintage beauties, though some who have tried them have said they have the same strength as the extrait/parfum.

Well, to our friend Joey, and to all of you, I direct this observation. All substances that produce heightened senses of pleasure and euphoria are inherently poisonous: If you had access to the complete list of substances contained in most all common cigarettes, they share an astounding array of precisely the same fixatives and essences found and commonly used in modern perfumery. Self medicating is nothing more or less than purposely ingesting literal poison to entice a kind of trouble in the brain system that allows for pleasure to increase whilst pain subsides. Obvious examples of this would be Opium or even simple Codeine. Smoking a cigarette whose filter has been dipped in Robert Piguet's "Bandit" is merely smoking a cigarette that is just slightly more deadly than one that is not, but a whole lot more fun. Drinking a shot of "Everclear" is about as healthy as drinking the same amount of Isopropyl, and it will make you just as sick, except the illness is perceived as a kind of euphoria. Perfume's molecular structures that float in the air are all poisonous: Every one. There isn't one that isn't: That is precisely why we fall into a swoon over certain compositions,whilst others make us gag: "Mitsouko" does this to me--I simply can't breathe it in it's so noxious to my senses. Shalimar, on the other hand, I can quite literally drink, and find it sensual and intoxicating. Robert Piguet's "Bandit" I would never wear but it gives out a hell of a head buzz if you smoke the dried remnants of it: Once and for all know each and everyone of you, all fragrance is inherently poisonous, even when used properly, and that's precisely why it captivates us the way it does. If you drink 30ml of Shalimar parfum you might be in accident emergency before you know it. If you ingest one drop of it immersed in Everclear, guaranteed, the Everclear will hurt you more than the Shalimar, but it will make you feel a whole lot better!

Well, to our friend Joey, and to all of you, I direct this observation. All substances that produce heightened senses of pleasure and euphoria are inherently poisonous: If you had access to the complete list of substances contained in most all common cigarettes, they share an astounding array of precisely the same fixatives and essences found and commonly used in modern perfumery. Self medicating is nothing more or less than purposely ingesting literal poison to entice a kind of trouble in the brain system that allows for pleasure to increase whilst pain subsides. Obvious examples of this would be Opium or even simple Codeine. Smoking a cigarette whose filter has been dipped in Robert Piguet's "Bandit" is merely smoking a cigarette that is just slightly more deadly than one that is not, but a whole lot more fun. Drinking a shot of "Everclear" is about as healthy as drinking the same amount of Isopropyl, and it will make you just as sick, except the illness is perceived as a kind of euphoria. Perfume's molecular structures that float in the air are all poisonous: Every one. There isn't one that isn't: That is precisely why we fall into a swoon over certain compositions,whilst others make us gag: "Mitsouko" does this to me--I simply can't breathe it in it's so noxious to my senses. Shalimar, on the other hand, I can quite literally drink, and find it sensual and intoxicating. Robert Piguet's "Bandit" I would never wear but it gives out a hell of a head buzz if you smoke the dried remnants of it: Once and for all know each and everyone of you, all fragrance is inherently poisonous, even when used properly, and that's precisely why it captivates us the way it does. If you drink 30ml of Shalimar parfum you might be in accident emergency before you know it. If you ingest one drop of it immersed in Everclear, guaranteed, the Everclear will hurt you more than the Shalimar, but it will make you feel a whole lot better!
    interesting. hmm.

im gonna try and make Heritage pudding! would love to taste that.

No sense in trying to make anything out of an eau de toilette other than a fresh handkerchief or an attractive lilt of scent that follows you about. Eau de Toilette is useless for making pudding or for anything that one would ingest, very effective, though, as a refresher for the body and the mind. Food Quality Essential Oils, which you may be able to obtain, are what is required to make your Heritage Pudding: Study the composition, and attempt to re-create it with these oils, then use the resultant mixture very sparingly in a basic pudding recipe, suspending no more than one drop into the creme or the creme anglaise.

No sense in trying to make anything out of an eau de toilette other than a fresh handkerchief or an attractive lilt of scent that follows you about. Eau de Toilette is useless for making pudding or for anything that one would ingest, very effective, though, as a refresher for the body and the mind. Food Quality Essential Oils, which you may be able to obtain, are what is required to make your Heritage Pudding: Study the composition, and attempt to re-create it with these oils, then use the resultant mixture very sparingly in a basic pudding recipe, suspending no more than one drop into the creme or the creme anglaise.
    what if i add edt+ edp? I have both.

however recreating the same using essential oils would be close to impossible, dont you think?

nope. won't work. Re-creating a "sketch" of something like Heritage is not as difficult as it sounds, you just need to make sure you're using good oils and remember that you work in 3's: 3 times more flight note quantity, 2 times more heart note quantity, and 1 unit of each basenote quantity as a rule of thumb, which will provide a sketch that you can then tweak by sniffing it: Example, assuming there were a very linear fragrance who's pyramid ran thus: Top note, Lavender Middle note, Vanilla Base Note, White Musk, to sketch this out, you'd combine 3 drops lavender, 2 drops vanilla, 1 drop white musk. By smelling it you'd suss out immediately that the white musk "took over," so you'd add another drop or two of vanilla, working backwards. At that point, in sniffing, you will find that you have lost your flight entirely, so you would then add about 5 drops of lavender, which would give you a pretty god oil version of this fragrance, but not replicate it. This mixture you can use to make cup cakes or whatever provided you use the smallest amount of it--1 drop is all it takes--and verify that you are not including the seriously dangerous oils like cinnamon bark oil which is labeled "fatal if ingested" Most good essential oil resources will label their oils if they are seriously poisonous.

EVERYBODY READING THIS: to achieve any kind of pleasant effect in the alternative usage of fragrance in igestables, keep in mind that "parfum" is the only thing to use, and to be used in extreme moderation, as in one drop at the most, and if that doesn't work it just means the composition is lacking in natural components, and the experiment should not be tweaked by adding more because that just becomes seriously dangerous. Anyone attempting to use Eau de Toilette or Eau de Parfum will just waste their time and their product: If you've ever got a bit of cologne in your mouth you'll know what I mean: the taste is inherently vile due to the high alcohol content and bumped up fixatives in what is called "fragrance" or "parfum" in the ingredients list, all of which taste a bit like gasoline.

On a less dangerous note, does anyone out there know that perfuming natural fibers such as cotton and linen is a fantastic was to enjoy them all day long, without the adverse effects of your body chemistry? People who long to wear a fragrance that just doesn't suit their skin can feel very safe spraying it other places than on their body: The tick is to know which fibers will co-operate with the fragrance. In general, silk, cotton and linen linings accept any eau de toilette beautifully, as do suede, leather, calf skin and most all tanned exotic skins provided they are not sealed water-repellent, which exotic skins often are: The best tanned skin to use as a delivery method for your favorite eau de toilette is pig suede--notably gloves: Spraying the inside of unlined kid or pig suede gloves is a remarkable way to use fragrance. Spraying the leather lined interior of your handbag, equally delicious. Those of you who try this will note that even highly evolving perfumes become somewhat linear in this application. Your hair, your beard, another fantastic place to spritz. Health buffs out there, the previous habits are much kinder to the body than the usual spray on the pulse points, which then absorb all of the poisons and solvents in even the best fragrant compositions straight into the blood stream. The current mania of the EU to destroy the perfume industry is "about" Science finally realizing that perfume is poison: It's not for as much that we'll stop using it, though. Thoughts?

im allergic to one of my favourite scents, Egoiste, so it goes on my shirt, mostly. Sillage sacrificed, but it still smells good

Joey--what exactly happens that you know you're allergic to Egoiste? I ask because I feel as though I may have developed an allergy toward Jo Malone's Amber Lavender Bath Oil--something I've used everyday for years--and in the recent past I started developing a kind of rash around my shoulder area--no derm could figure what it was--and then I ran out of Jo malone: Mysteriously, the itchy rash went away.

Joey--what exactly happens that you know you're allergic to Egoiste? I ask because I feel as though I may have developed an allergy toward Jo Malone's Amber Lavender Bath Oil--something I've used everyday for years--and in the recent past I started developing a kind of rash around my shoulder area--no derm could figure what it was--and then I ran out of Jo malone: Mysteriously, the itchy rash went away.
    Approx 6-7 hours after spraying, spots that have been sprayed become red and extremely itchy. Nowhere else but places that have been applied. Several other scents give me the same problem namely Chanel Pour Monsieur and L'heure bleue vintage 80s' EDT -- but not as bad as Egoiste does

All, take note. A superb description of an allergic reaction to an eau de toilette. My oil allergy was less obvious: I developed over time a scratchy area around the top of my shoulders and at the base of my neck--with red patches on the top of my chest and under my arms--all very itchy. Thanks Joey! MDM

Blog Entries

So, drink Shalimar extrait?

I wonder what kind of adverse effects might arise from drinking Jicky....
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

The best time to take a perfumed bath is after giving a good drubbing to an unruly young man, in defence of his sister and mother.

Afterwards, reach for that eau de jasmin and Macassar oil before donning your clean linen and exquisitely tailored clothes.

I know that some perfumes were made with potable alcohol, and have heard of women touching perfumes on a finger with their tongues.
    Last edited by Primrose; 20th December 2010 at 11:35 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Indeed: Excellent advice. Jicky tastes absolutely vile. It makes for a truly unappealing aroma in a glass, and even used per the shalimar recipe upstairs, it's disgusting. Rare are the fragrances that can be toyed with in this manner without being repulsive. It is very true that in times past certain perfumes, then made with vinegar, were used on the tongue. Be absolutely certain one and all that any application of fragrance of any kind, including the finest, will not be pleasant on the tongue, and not remotely effective against halitosis. rubbing "parfum" on the nostrils is a very effective way to disguise certain kinds of halitosis, but sometimes just makes it worse.

On a less dangerous note, does anyone out there know that perfuming natural fibers such as cotton and linen is a fantastic was to enjoy them all day long, without the adverse effects of your body chemistry? ...
    I sometimes use a sprinkle of my vintage Guerlain extraits on sheer or linen curtains so that the scent can be carried through the house when doors and windows are opened on opposite sides of a room - usually before we entertain. Often they will continue to imbue the air with perfume for several weeks. I also had a tip some years ago, from a friend who was the recipient of a 15ml extrait of Chanel No.5... something she felt she couldn't possibly wear herself but enjoyed the scent of... instead, she added just two drops to her vacuum cleaner bag, and filled her home with this fabulous perfume every time she hoovered. I have tried this with Creed's Fleurs de Bulgarie in EDP form, which also worked wonderfully.

I am enjoying reading these insights offered my Le Mouchoir de Monsieur. Thank you!

There you have it: Finally a great suggestion--the vaporizing of unwanted perfumes that are pleasant but not wearable on one's lace or voile curtains, and in the hoover bag. It's amazing just how well fragrances hold up on fibers. Even though certain houses seem to be shrugging the old fashioned litmus papers in favour of viscose/rayon blend bits of satin ribbon, I personally find that the only fibers that truly "hold" the fragrance without disrupting it are the plant based fibers of cotton, linen, ramie, even hemp: For some reason the animal based ones, wool, cashmere and camel or mohair seem to not want to "grab" the scent, which makes sense considering these are made from animal fur, which, by nature, repels. Of all the fibers I feel the "fausses soies" of rayon, polyester, viscose, etc to be the least welcoming to scent: Some may even deteriorate with consistent re-application. I've witnessed this in some of my overcoats lined in heavy satin, whilst the fur one I have, which is lined in silk charmeuse, has held up much better. Sheer draperies are usually polyester or rayon, but may obviously be used since they are not so close to the wearer and will act as a means of delivery for our true outer-outer shell: The home! Some excellent advice all the way from Perth--way way down under. Thank you, Sorcerer of Scent: You clearly merit your exalted title. Further tips will be equally appreciated. MDM

I concur, cotton, linen and sheer lace curtains hold the scent more effectively. Its best they be somewhat diaphanous to allow the air to pass through them, and carry the scent through the room.
    I also agree that cashmere, wool and mohair tend to not retail perfume as well. This might be because of natural oils in the strands of hair that repel.

I am intrigued by these Shalimar extrait cocktails! What an enchanting idea!

Oh yes, but proceed with caution! when I say "1 drop" I mean quite literally 1 drop--and a tiny one at that--the idea is to infuse the liquor without making it too poisonous! I'm afraid I should have never mentioned this at all. Now that I've had "a taste" of basenotes etiquette, I was clearly out of line. To all and everyone: Don't Drink Your Perfume EVER under any circumstances and don't dip your filters in Robert Piguet's "Bandit" Make like Nancy Reagan and "Just Say No!" MDM

"Just Say No!"
    All you did was point out alternative means of enjoying your perfumes, and speak from your own experience.
    As adults I'm sure we are all armed with the good sense to determine whether doing such a thing would appeal to us, or in fact, whether we ought to at all.

I assure you that your insights were in no way opposed to BN etiquette.

Indeed, MDM... your suggestions were made with caveats already... the only thing I can see you have somewhat "bent" was the English language rule. As much as I like to read French (and then go get it translated on google so I can *mostly* understand it... that my dear Monsieur is all you have done that could be considered a breaking of the rules.

Please continue with your entertaining and enlightening tidbits of information!
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

On a less dangerous note, does anyone out there know that perfuming natural fibers such as cotton and linen is a fantastic was to enjoy them all day long, without the adverse effects of your body chemistry? People who long to wear a fragrance that just doesn't suit their skin can feel very safe spraying it other places than on their body: The tick is to know which fibers will co-operate with the fragrance. In general, silk, cotton and linen linings accept any eau de toilette beautifully, as do suede, leather, calf skin and most all tanned exotic skins provided they are not sealed water-repellent, which exotic skins often are: The best tanned skin to use as a delivery method for your favorite eau de toilette is pig suede--notably gloves: Spraying the inside of unlined kid or pig suede gloves is a remarkable way to use fragrance. Spraying the leather lined interior of your handbag, equally delicious. Those of you who try this will note that even highly evolving perfumes become somewhat linear in this application. Your hair, your beard, another fantastic place to spritz. Health buffs out there, the previous habits are much kinder to the body than the usual spray on the pulse points, which then absorb all of the poisons and solvents in even the best fragrant compositions straight into the blood stream. The current mania of the EU to destroy the perfume industry is "about" Science finally realizing that perfume is poison: It's not for as much that we'll stop using it, though. Thoughts?
    Perfumed gloves? I thought I was the only person doing this! ROTFL! In truth, the scent sprayed on my pulse points perfume the cuffs of my frock coat as well as my turned-back shirt cuffs.

As for perfumes as toxic solvents (alcohol), I will probably die in a duel, of strong drink, cigar-smoking, or in debtors prison long before that happens.

BTW, the cold snap in Europe is upon us, and in the USA. If one has a fur hand muff (many nice faux ones to be had nowadays), one can spray both gloves and in the interior of the hand muff.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hillaire

I love all of these suggestions, and find nothing at all off-putting.

I like to perfume my hands and fingers before I smoke; It infuses the smoke with aroma that I can taste, and it's a powerfully evocative way of enjoying fragrance for me. My favorite ciggarette-enhancing fragrances are Amouage Gold and EL Knowing.

My grandmother used to spray her tongue with her perfume before she went out. I have tried that, too. But it is awful.

deleted

---
    Last edited by deleted; 7th January 2011 at 02:15 PM.

Ah Ha! Now we've rounded up some players! I knew you were out there! So let's hear it from you now: What's the inside scoop on truly decadent usage? Readers! They don't make the 1500ml bee bottles for just anyone, now do they? Take heed from us now--and all of you make a resolution to start liberally spraying your hand rolled cotton batiste hankies and spritizing your unlined pig suede gloves! Treat the interior of your calf lined hand bag to a weekly shower of heavenly mist! pump away at your voile curtains and reserve only the best very special treatment for your bed! When we traverse our doorsteps let's make ourselves true torch-carriers of exquisite molecular compositional clouds that sing--and tell stories! Everywhere we go, let others see us, and inhale us! God put us here, and made us this way for a reason: The world will be more enchanting with every molecule we unleash. To wit: Sorcerer of Scent--I've just come from dispensing two drops of "Tabac Blond" extract into my hoover: Without even having turned it on, the entire Pantry where it's stored now smells exactly like a Gentleman's Club! (my household helper asked if I smelled "gas") To your atomizers, friends! Let's make the world a kinder place: Go! Do it now--dig in your drawers: How many bottles are languishing there forgotten? Now: any takers on my very precise instructions on how to bathe in eau de cologne?

deleted

---
    Last edited by deleted; 7th January 2011 at 02:15 PM.

Loungeboy? We're waiting. We know you have insights. Divulge. MDM

Yes, Ash: I'm waiting for the question: MDM, how ever does one bathe effectively in Eau de Cologne? So, you see, not having been asked, I'm just waiting for the right gutsy buck who'll dare. In the interim, I suppose I shall just have to address the perfume as tongue refresher question: This comes from the French perfumed alcohols that came in about 30 flavours at one point, and now have become difficult to find even in the "menthe," the one that seems to have survived. Visitors in France should go to any "Pharmacie" and ask for a bottle of "Alcohol de Menthe." This is a superb tongue refresher, delivered straight up by droplets or on by imbibing a sugar cube with it. It also can give you a very nice buzz. I remember it in "Violette," "Rose" and "Iris," but research suggests there was every version imaginable readily available at one point in time. Can we bring that back? (Fresh Breath, Clear Head. Alcohol de menthe: 1000 proof, sure fire, pure fire!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    As adults
    Ever the optimist, Dmitri

I like the Shalimar infusion idea. I am now even more intrigued in applying this to L'Heure Bleue . . .

I blame the time difference and an incredibly busy Holiday week for my late arrival to this wonderful thread.
    What a breath of fresh air!
    I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of a Basenotes thread that covered so much territory. Curtains, handkerchiefs, cocktails...suppositories. Oh my!
    Such informative and imaginative ideas.
    For my part, my horribly unpredictable respiratory system has caused me to always carry a handkerchief and lately I have been scenting them unimaginatively enough with MOUCHOIR DE MONSIEUR. What a joy it has become. JICKY works equally as well.
    Coincidentally I was just reading about Molinard's HABANITA first being released as a fragrance for cigarettes. Lo and behold I come here to read of cigarettes fragranced with BANDIT. In another thread, our friend Le MDM speaks of sponge baths with Caron.
    These things are certainly not things I am familiar with, but the discussion of which are simply fascinating to me. Dreaming of such voluptuous uses of scent will be better than dreaming of sugar plums!

And might I add drinking perfume is just a little too "Kitty Dukakis" for me but my mind is open.

Now: any takers on my very precise instructions on how to bathe in eau de cologne?
    I'll bite! Divulge please. Eau de Cologne, and Eau de Toilette too I presume, n'est-ce pas? This sounds like something I want to hear!!!
    Last edited by mrclmind; 21st December 2010 at 05:40 AM.

In a tall tumbler, pour one shot of vodka. There in carefully put ONE DROP of Shalimar parfum. Mix with a spoon. Fill the glass with ice, then plain soda water: Drink.
    I can't tell you how many times I have heard about things so similar to this being shared at AA meetings in Newport Beach (my partner is in the program, and we really do hear it all from those meetings).

Ah, yes: the crowd thickens--the party begins! The big numbers are here at last. Now for the real confessions, Royal bain de....ooops, sorry, Royal Bath of Champagne may sound decadent but decadence has no boundaries when the mind is freed by a good few too many drops of pure alcohol de menthe, a long and languid drag off of a dunhill red soaked in "Bandit," and the fantasies run wild, taking over, to finally become realities. Every great moment of our lives first took root in a dream: You woke up in a bath tub full of Eau du Coq? Now, how ever did that happen? MDM

But you still haven't answered my question. Give the instructions for bathing in EDC, s'il vous plaît. Merci!

I am not sure that I want to drink my Shalimar, even though it is my favorite perfume at the moment. However, I do keep the rosewater in the kitchen, and put it in all sorts of things, like dessert.

One of my friends gets rosewater saffron ice cream at Mashti Malones in Los Angeles, and I so want to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by loungeboy View Post
    and might i add drinking perfume is just a little too "kitty dukakis" for me but my mind is open.
    rotfl

xxxxx
    Last edited by mrclmind; 21st December 2010 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    i'm enjoying this.
    So am I.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Ever the optimist, Dmitri

I like the Shalimar infusion idea. I am now even more intrigued in applying this to L'Heure Bleue . . .
    I was thinking the same thing. Will try it and report back.

Lets hear it LMDM, you have a captive audience... lets bathe...

As an aside, I was wearing Caron Tabac Blond as my scent du jour yesterday. I couldnt imagine a nicer thing to perfume your home with. And for only 2 drops, I will also give this a try.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Ingesting applied (or indigenous for that matter) scent is probably as old as sentient sex itself.

Consider the lovers, tongues and lips eagerly exploring with abandon fragrant surfaces, creases, nooks and crannies of each other's delightfully scented body. Eating, in effect, deliciously perfumed minute epithelial bits and pieces of the one they hold close.

Simply the act of smelling fragrance wafting from another carries with it the possibility any particular volume of such air also includes miniscule desquamated epithelial cells drenched with some divine scent or other and those precious tidbits saved from an inglorious ending in some forgotten corner dust bunny.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

And remember that Eau de Cologne was first used also internally as a medicament and a mouthwash, and was thought to prevent plague? Something else I like to do is apply fragrance liberally to the underside of my umbrella to make walks in the rain exceptionally nice.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 21st December 2010 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    And remember that Eau de Cologne was first used also internally as a medicament and a mouthwash, and was thought to prevent plague? Something else I like to do is apply fragrance liberally to the underside of my umbrella to make walks in the rain exceptionally nice.
    I'd imagine Givenchy Gentleman would be a great scent to do that with!!

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
    I'd imagine Givenchy Gentleman would be a great scent to do that with!!
    I'm assuming you mean under the umbrella, not as a mouthwash...

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I'm assuming you mean under the umbrella, not as a mouthwash...
    yes i meant the umbrella.

I'll use it as a mouthwash when i need a vacation in the hospital.

Ah, the enormous bee bottles. 500ml. 1000ml. 1500ml. It is a well documented fact that Napoleon made use of one 1000ml bottle of Eau Imperiale per day. Sound unlikely? Hardly. Le Mouchoir de Monsieur knows something about living for months on end in tiny student quarters under frigid cold and torpid heat; Student quarters without bathing facilities on site, save for a bidet and a tiny triangular sink. Only the irony of time past could clarify how these tiny cell like dwellings were the luxury units, where cramped parties were had on the cheap with red wine, baguettes, a jar of Nutella, and a spoon. Less fortunate boys bunked in rooms roughly the same size, 4 to a chamber. "Les Bains-Douches," as they were called, were housed in a separate building entirely, and accessed by walking across a courtyard and then through a cavernous dark, drippy enfilade of lapidary mausoleum-like rooms, with cold wet floors and musty recesses: It was whispered that strange goings on were to be witnessed in the gloomiest reaches of the bath house. Bemused initiates eagerly watched as, innocently, the young unknowing newbies would saunter in for the first time, dob kit in tow expecting a quick bath, only to find certain elder boys lurking about like wolves, looking libidinous and threatening. Amid the sounds of running water and thunderous blowing steam there were distant groans and blood curdling shrieks heard echoing in certain undefined distances along with incessant sounds of dripping, and bare feet slapping against the hard cold floors of tile and stone. In the bleak darkening months of autumn and winter when the first year boarders arrived, one of the first, and most important of all things learned, was how to avoid "les Bains-Douches." Not bathing at all would always be the first attempt: Valiant efforts and sundry gestures trying to keep up appearances during lessons equipped behind the scenes only with a bidet and wash basin the size of a soup bowl went just so far, and it was usually only about two weeks in before the dreaded Bath House had to be faced, come what may: Scalps began to itch, skin would crawl: Crusts would appear in the small of the back, behind the knees and neck. With the terrifying prospect of a yawning, ominous, dank and foreboding bath house filled with domineering bullies and lingering outcasts fast approaching, and the sweat-drenched nightmares it brought along with it of unspeakable acts of boyhood brutality, humiliation and tortures so hideous they could scarcely be imagined, what an oasis-like
    heavenly vision was that contained in the very first enormous care package sent to me by my tender Mother, whose letters brought tears to my eyes, whose picture I carried everywhere in the pocket of my gray worsted uniform jacket: One enormous ground glass stoppered Bee Bottle of 1000ml of Eau du Coq, and a bushy, squiggly, golden-hued dead sea sponge. MDM
    Last edited by le mouchoir de monsieur; 22nd December 2010 at 05:41 AM.

What a moving and compelling story Le Mouchoir de Monsieur!
    I read it with much interest and indeed some trepidation... I think many of us have found ourselves in similar situations where the prospect of bathing is practically non-existant. For me, it was whilst serving in the Greek Navy in the mid 90's, when at sea, our daily fresh water consumption/usage was rationed (between 380 men) to 3/4 of a plastic disposable coffee cup per person per day. When at sea for weeks on end, bathing was practically impossible, so we made our own means. A small face-washer dampened with sea-water was effective, but not ideal, as the salt would collect over time, and dry out the skin. Our meagre fresh water ration was usually reserved for drinking and/or washing ones teeth once a day. There was nothing nearly as sinister as the showering horrors you write of, but it does go to show how resourceful one can be when faced with adversity. In a pinch, I had a scented deodorant stick (YSL Opium PH, as I recall), which I shaved pieces from and added to a small portion of sea water to form a soapy paste. Somehow, the saltiness in the water was diminished by the deodorant product, and it could be applied to underarms / crotch / neck etc without a substantial salty buildup. I would then take a small strip of cloth and dip it sparingly in my fresh water to sponge clean.
    The situation was not ideal, but it worked for me, and I remained well scented and feeling reasonably fresh. I can't say the same for everyone else... weeks at sea can bring the worst out in people. Many smelled both fetid and foul.

I wonder... does the aroma of 'Eau du Coq' remain in your olfactory memory as a verdant spring of freshness, or rather a scent associated with the drudgery and unpleasantness of finding yourself in such circumstances?
    That was most definitely a very timely and I imagine, much appreciated gift!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 22nd December 2010 at 12:02 PM.