Code of Conduct

Default New Santa Maria Novella fragrances - Porcellana and Ottone - anyone tried these?

I was at the SMN shop in London recently and saw the bottles on display, but because they look a bit different from standard SMN bottles I stupidly assumed they were home fragrances and ignored them. Has anyone else sniffed these yet?

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...o_celebra.html

1612 Porcellana takes its inspiration from the Far East. Its reportdely delicate composition opens on notes of jasmine and white flowers and develops a heart of star anise, cardamom and galbanum before drying down to a base of cedar wood.

1612 Ottone goes to the West instead of the East and is inspired by Northern Europe. The head notes are rose, bergamot, petitgrain leading to a heart of oregano, cinnamon, clove and pepper before finishing its course with sandalwood, cedar wood and incense.

Default Re: New Santa Maria Novella fragrances - Porcellana and Ottone - anyone tried these?

I own them both. The composition style is very classic, good raw materials. Porcellana is a powdery floral juice, feminine and delicate in an innocent youthful way. Ottone is a kind of aromatic green-woody fragrance with a bit of 80's edge on the vein of the old Acquascutum of London edt.

Default Re: New Santa Maria Novella fragrances - Porcellana and Ottone - anyone tried these?

Ottone sounds like something I've got to have!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Ottone sounds like something I've got to have!
    Ditto

Allegedly, Porcellana and Ottone are limited edition releases and will/may be discontinued in 2012 (when the 400th anniversary festivities come to an end). Porcellana is designated for women, while Ottone is designated for men (hence there being two releases).

Porcellana is, as Magnifiscent mentioned, a powdery floral but smells exactly as the name implies - like porcelain! Personally, I was pleasantly surprised and, while I'm not sure if it's for me, the composition is both evocative and impressive.

As for Ottone, I was less enamoured with it. It starts out a bit unsure of itself and, for the large part, is a woody-aromatic with a dull citrus top. But the drydown consists of incense, so it may appeal to incense lovers more.

Ottone is a retro men's fragrance to be sure. The notes set you up for something exotic, but it's in fact something very classic, of a sort I am not into wearing. To sum it up in a few words, Ottone is a stinky fougere!

I'm amused to recall seeing TV commercials as a child for a product called "Porcellana", a cream to hide age spots! Porcellana is lovely, the packaging gives away its true inspiration, without a doubt, in my mind, which would be, in a few words, Armani Prive Pierre de Lune! The opening is a bit warmer than the Armani, and I felt as though I might veer in an Italian direction when it comes time to replace my bottle of PdL. However, as the fragrance settles down, it ends up basically a weaker version of Pierre de Lune.

I'm afraid none of the new releases of SMN over the past few years have grabbed me. Besides which they've taken to messing with some of their best formulae

Ottone is absolutely amazing. A classic, solidly crafted, fougere with citrus, woods, amber and a persistent frankincense note. Rich, completely satisfying and incredibly long lasting. It's a very limited edition to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the founding of the house. If you buy it you'll automatically have access to a list of upcoming exclusive events that SMN is setting up to celebrate in 2012 the anniversary of the house.

Porcellana is a clean floral and white musk composition of less interest IMO

Challenging price tag!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Have a friend who just picked these two up. Will ask him to try them although I don't expect much.