Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances that give you olfactory fatigue..

My sotd today was Rochas Man. I put it on about 10 minutes before leaving this morning, and when I stepped out the door, I couldn't really smell it. RM has done this to me before. As much as I wanted to go back and re-apply, I told myself not to... there's a good possibility I'm experiencing the obvious olfactory fatigue. Sure enough, I was, because the scent came back to life 20 minutes later.

Rochas Man is up there on the top of my list for olfactory fatigue devils. What are yours?

Default Re: Fragrances that give you olfactory fatigue..

After I put on Bvlgari Jasmin Noir, I can smell it very strongly, then 10~15 minutes later I can't smell anything. I have to bury my nose in my skin to even get the slightest whiff. I'm not sure if its just heavy Olfactory Fatigue or if I maybe can't smell some of the musk or something in the base. Weird.
    I'm not your toy.

Almost everything, but Le Male and 1 Million most. I really cant smell it, but the others compliment me and smell it 2m away from me, 4 hours after i used.

On El is giving me almost instant olfactory fatigue, after 20 minutes at most, I can hardly smell anything

Don't seem to have this occur to me at all with any fragrance.

Rochas man and Rive Gauche

I recall having trouble with Bleu de Chanel once the citrus starts to die down.

Bvlgari Blv & Chanel Platinum Egoïste

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    On El is giving me almost instant olfactory fatigue, after 20 minutes at most, I can hardly smell anything
    By the looks of the reviews on this, it seems to be a flaw within the fragrance, since the longevity issue looks to me unanimous. Although, thank you for opening my eyes to this one, it looks pretty interesting.

Almost all of them.

I've tried Marc Jacobs Bang! twice while in Dillards. Both times after an hour, I could smell much of anything.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Most of them.

I work around this by not spraying on the neck anymore. Lets me enjoy the fragrance a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Almost all of them.
    +1

Most of my frags are undetectable to me after a couple of hours if I overdo it or if I spray too close to the nose...

Most, although I suspect the ones with a lot of alcohol or synthetic ingredients are the major offenders.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Aventus does that to me, but it doesn't help that I'm constantly trying to shove it up my nose. The worst for me is probably Cristiano Fissore Cashmere For Men, smells divine but fries my senses in about 2.3 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    Aventus does that to me, but it doesn't help that I'm constantly trying to shove it up my nose. The worst for me is probably Cristiano Fissore Cashmere For Men, smells divine but fries my senses in about 2.3 seconds.
    Gucci Pour Homme is supposed to smell like Cristiano Fissore Cashmere For Men, but stronger.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Gucci Pour Homme is supposed to smell like Cristiano Fissore Cashmere For Men, but stronger.
    Nooooooooooooo, I get no similarity. I have Gucci PH and honestly think it's overrated. I think both have patchouli and pink pepper, but overall I find them very different.

Its funny that you mentioned Rochas Man because since I started wearing it almost daily to work, I hardly smell it... Today I am wearing Rochas on skin and sweater that I wore when I tested Bleu De Chanel few weeks ago (dont ask me why I wear same sweater after couple of weeks!) and I smell Bleu more than Rochas.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

For me it's Amouages Dia Man no matter how many sprays I apply after a short while I cannot smell anything. It's a ghost of a fragrance and one I'm sure the invisible man probably wears.lol

Givenchy Pour Homme. I cant smell it on myself after like 15 minutes but everyone else compliments me on it like waaay into the day

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Don't seem to have this occur to me at all with any fragrance.
    Me neither.

Last edited by Descartes; 15th February 2012 at 06:21 AM.

definitely egoiste platinum.

I'm new to fragrances and I wasn't aware of the term olfactory fatigue before having read it on a post here on BN. I bought my One Million a few months back and I was SO disappointed with it because I thought it didn't last. That day, thinking it didn't agree with my body chemistry (as well as too excited about my new purchase), I probably sprayed it on me 25 times within a 12 hour period. I guess I had a "cloud" around me that extended 15 feet away. )

Basenotes Institution

The Amouage attars. One only needs to apply a tiny bit - if you apply more than a drop or two, you can experience instant olfactory fatigue.

I apply my Homage with the end of a toothpick, dipped in the oil. This lasts for hours and hours.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by jerichodeg View Post
    I'm new to fragrances and I wasn't aware of the term olfactory fatigue before having read it on a post here on BN. I bought my One Million a few months back and I was SO disappointed with it because I thought it didn't last. That day, thinking it didn't agree with my body chemistry (as well as too excited about my new purchase), I probably sprayed it on me 25 times within a 12 hour period. I guess I had a "cloud" around me that extended 15 feet away. )

Very bad!

Have fun killing everyone around you.

It actually was fun to see the other guy in the elevator struggle to maintain a polite smile. LOL
    Last edited by jerichodeg; 18th January 2011 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The Amouage attars. One only needs to apply a tiny bit - if you apply more than a drop or two, you can experience instant olfactory fatigue.

I apply my Homage with the end of a toothpick, dipped in the oil. This lasts for hours and hours.
    I have a feeling your Homage will last for centuries if used this way!

Aventus, Rochas man and Chergui they all come and go for me. Worst is probably Aventus after 5 minutes I am lucky to get whiffs unless I spray something ELSE in the room besides me. My jacket smells pretty amazing now, it has permanent drydown going on.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Pretty much everything if you apply too heavily or keep smelling yourself!

Jesus tap dancing Christ! I'm surprised I couldn't smell you here in the UK!

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Jesus tap dancing Christ! I'm surprised I couldn't smell you here in the UK!
    LOL! I couldn't help it. Come on, I'm sure you get excited with new fragrance purchases too, right? Your hand firmly holding a full bottle, fingers pressed against an unfamiliar spritzer.... You talk to the bottle, and say"Youre mine. All 100ml of you". Then you forget to consider that other people need to BREATHE AIR, but what the hell, my frag is new. hahaha.

P.S.oh yeah, I forgot to mention I live in a tropical country. That might be the reason why I couldn't detect it, but then again, it really might just be olfactory fatigue.

Issey L'eau
    M7

To an extent Epic Man too but I can live with that more than M7, which has very harsh oud in it so I don't really like it.
    Almost every fragrance can give you olfactory fatigue but with the likes of M7 my nose almost aches!

I'm getting this with Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree - I apply four sprays and after I just cannot smell anything well just a whiff here and there. Though people say they can smell it strongly near me but I cannot detect it. Weird when that happens you have to resist applying several sprays.lol

I'm finding Quorum can. Vintage Tsar does it big time if over applied!

Aventus for me as well! I do try to smell my wrists a lot where I spray it so that doesn't help, but I hope others can smell it if I can't at least. Any strategies on avoiding olfactory fatigue?