Code of Conduct

Default Violets and Roses

Hi all,

I'm new here and have just started to take a more "active" interest in my fragrances... meaning make more well educated purchases. I'd really like to fall in love with a scent and make it my signature.

I am searching for a rose soliflore that smells like a true rose. I'm thinking really fresh, like a rose after a light rainshower.

I'm also searching for a violet. I adore the smell of my Guerlain Meteorites powder and I know they had released a perfume version of it, but I'm hesitant to buy off of ebay...
    Is there anything still in production that is similar, perhaps even nicer?

I'd like to avoid the "mainstream", very department store ones if possible... looking for something special, but not impossible to attain! Thank you!

Default Re: Violets and Roses

Welcome to Basenotes, Chouquette! My favorite rose soliflore is Velvet Rose by Sonoma Scent Studio. To me, it smells like a freshly-opened rose covered with morning dew. SSS also has a very nice violet fragrance, but I still don't think I've found the perfect violet soliflore. I do adore Stephen Jones by Comme des Garcons, which is an amazing violet, but not a soliflore.

I'm sure you will get many other great recommendations here!

Blog Entries

Welcome to Basenotes chouquette-- you are doing well to already have your wardrobe up for us to see!

I see on your wish list Creed FdTRB-- that is a realistic rose.
    Frédéric Malle Une Rose is an intensely realistic and potent rose.

Some other roses:
    Yardley English Rose and Woods of Windsor True Rose, both inexpensive at ShopLondons.com)
    • Some like C&E Evelyn Rose-- it is a fresh, peachy rose, but be sure to get the edp as the edt is gone from skin in 15 minutes flat.
    Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau is Bulgarian rose with black current leaves and a tomato stem note.

• For realism and freshness, it is hard to top Annick Goutal Rose Absolue. This came out many years ago as an edp but in 2010 Goutal released a limited edition 100 ml bottle of an "Eau Parfumée" version of Rose Absolue. They may sound the same but do not confuse the two-- the eau de parfum is long lasting, while the eau parfumée is quite light. I'm seeing a number of 100 ml bottles on eBay of AG Rose Absolue being listed as edp, but I will bet most if not all of them are actually the eau parfumée. Buyer beware-- ask questions before buying.

As far as violets, Les Météorites has not been discontinued so long that you should worry about its having spoiled. Since you love the powderiness of that violet, I say go ahead and order a bottle off eBay. Just choose a seller with excellent feedback and you should be fine.

Other lovely violets include:
    • Annick Goutal La Violette (a very sweet violet with a spicy rose note);
    • Santa Maria Novella Violetta and Borsari Violetta di Parma are both straightforward violets, see Luckyscent.com and Aedes.com;
    • Berdoues Violettes de Toulouse (a sweet violet with raspberry note--see Beautycafe.com)
    • Serge Lutens Bois de Violette is a splendid and woody (and pricey!) violet (Aedes.com, Barney's etc.)

Then of course there is the classic YSL Paris, rose with violet!

Others will come on with more suggestions. There is no shortage of rose or violet fragrances.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 6th January 2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: typo

I think Bulgari's Rose Essentielle is modern and really good.

In addition to the one mentioned above, Rosine is a whole line devoted to roses, most of them very natural smelling and of various intensities. I don't know where you live, but if you find a store that has them, you can smell your way through.

cacio

Hi all,
    Thank you all for the warm welcome and all of the suggestions! I took notes and headed to Neiman Marcus and Barney's amidst the holiday chaos to see what I could get ahold of to try.
    And of course the two I ended up falling in LOVE with were Fleur de The Rose Bulgare by Creed and Guerlain's Apres L'Ondee... both of which were out of stock! Interestingly, the salesperson said someone apparently called all around the US and tried to buy up every single bottle of FdTRB, which is why they're out of stock.
    While at NM I did sample Rose Absolue by Annick Goutal, the Jo Malone Rose... didn't fall in love with those. I've discovered I gravitate towards softer, greener fragrances.

Then at Barney's I did manage to pick up a few I liked. I sampled Une Rose by Frederic Malle... very true to description, but a bit too potent for me. Very lovely nonetheless! I took home a sample and want to give it another try.
    Tried Bois de Violette by Serge Lutens and I loved it, but just not for me -- just too woody, but also took home a sample to see if it would grow on me.
    So I ended up coming out with Serge Lutens Sa Majeste La Rose which I adore! Very beautiful and lasts literally all day on me!
    I also picked up L'artisan Parfumeur's Verte Violette. I like this very much, but lacks a certain complexity and sophistication somehow. This is just to hold me over on my violet cravings until I get my hands on Apres l'Ondee.

I'm also ordering Borsari's Violetta di Parma since it's quite cheap from overstock.com to try out. And once the holiday madness dies down, hopefully the shops will restock with my two loves. I am also curious about Penhaligon's Violetta but I don't know of any places in my area that carry Penhaligon's.
    I also tried looking for YSL Paris at my local Macy's and Nordstrom and they said that it was discontinued; however, I saw that Bergdorf's online still carry it. Considering ordering one as well as I did manage to try a leftover tester they had. Will report back with updates.

Thank you all again!

The new Arsene Lupin Le Dandy by Guerlain has a wonderful violet and leather. You can also go to Insolence by Guerlain.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Favourite roses in that category are Sa majeste la rose and L'ombre dans l'eau. Favourite violet is Midnight Violet. Ormonde Jayne Woman is also a scent I would concider a Violet scent, that is another favourite.

Attrape Coeur by Guerlain
    Rose Barbare by Guerlain

I know it's listed as a men's scent, but for "rose after a rain shower" do check out Lyric Man by Amouage.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    In addition to the one mentioned above, Rosine is a whole line devoted to roses, most of them very natural smelling and of various intensities. I don't know where you live, but if you find a store that has them, you can smell your way through.

cacio
    I have to second this suggestion! Les Parfums de Rosine makes a line of perfumes that are all based on roses. They sell a sample set that is very worthwhile; it costs only $20 including international shipping and includes generous sized samples of every one of their fragrances (I forget whether they are 1.5 ml 2 ml samples but they are large enough to get a sense of the perfume.) I got this set a few years ago and fell in love with Diabolo Rose.. It took 11 days to arrive from France.

Here is the link to the samples page; other pages have the descriptions of each scent:
    http://www.les-parfums-de-rosine.com...php?id_prod=67

There is anther Rosine, Eau Fraiche de Rosine, which is being offered for $25/15 ml on the Sniffapalooza Sneak Sniff page (http://www.sniffapalooza.com/forum/cartplog.php ---must be logged in to view). Read description of this fragrance here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26129306.html

Also, have you heard of The Perfumed Court? These ladies sell samples and small decants of a very wide assortment of perfumes, including hard to find and discontinued ones. They aren't cheap, but if one cannot find samples through other channels, they are a good source.

Thank you all once again for the feedback! I appreciate it and am definitely compiling a list to guide me on my journey

Am ordering the Rosines sample set as we speak.
    Excited to try all of these out.

I can now say I've added Apres L'Ondee to my collection, and will hopefully soon have FdTRB (fingers crossed!) thanks to 30 Roses

I'm really kicking myself now for not taking advantage when I lived in France... *sigh*

I have been eyeing The Perfumed Court but have yet to take the plunge, but it would be interesting to sample some that are really truly hard to find. Any recs in particular on some truly rare ones?

Hmmm as for violets, thoughts, anyone, on Yardley's April Violets?

I'm still eyeing the Meteorites EDT on ebay... I wonder if there is anything similar to Meteorites, if not even better?

Montale Highness Rose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chouquette View Post
    Hmmm as for violets, thoughts, anyone, on Yardley's April Violets?
    I had this back in the 1970s. I recall it as a straightforward violet, okay, but not spectacular. I read on Fragrantica that Yardley reintroduced it in 2010 because the old bottles on eBay were selling for so much. It definitely has its fans. But I haven't seen any on eBay USA; UK sellers have it. I wonder whether the newly released bottles are the same formulation as the old?

I saw them on ebay for a very reasonable price. Might order a bottle just to see.

As an update, received Borsari's Violetta di Parma and it stinks on me. Fortunately it was an inexpensive blind buy.
    Still waiting on a sample of Violetta from Penhaligon's and the Rosine's samples. So far FdTRB is my ideal rose, but locking down a full bottle is turning out into quite a chase! The search continues though, but it's been fun discovering new scents... and just when I think I've found something I adore, I find something that surprises me and I love even more!