Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Default Boss Number One: Vintage EDT Natural Spray vs. Recent EDT

Hello all, I recently acquired a vintage bottle of Boss Number One from before it was even called Boss Number One! It's just called "BOSS" by Hugo Boss.

There are differences between this older bottle and the new, Boss Number One. The vintage opens more herbal, powerful, and abrasive, with the patchouli, lavender, oakmoss and sage in the forefront with not as much honey. To contrast, the newer version opens with heavy patchouli, honey, jasmine and bergamot. The newer version is also a bit more powdery. I notice that the newer version is actually a bit more urinous smelling than the vintage, although it's not so much a bother in either. The older version eventually dries down to the smoother jasmine/patchouli/sandalwood/moss base, with the honey becoming more prominent. I also notice that the vintage version is stronger and longer-lasting than the new one. It is actually a bit like Ténéré by Paco Rabanne - but only the vintage version.

I now prefer the vintage, and I am happy to have it. If you can find a bottle, get some. I think it's better than the recent version, although that is still a nice scent. Once again, it just says "BOSS" and "HUGO BOSS" underneath - no "BOSS NUMBER ONE".
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Default Re: Boss Number One: Vintage EDT Natural Spray vs. Recent EDT

I would look for one except that I like M. de Morabito better, because it seems to substitute vanilla for honey. Just a personal preference, obviously. However, I have no doubt that the quality of ingredients is better than in the new Boss #1, so I wouldn't mind sampling the vintage Boss out of curiosity.

Boss Number One is a scent that I had to give time.....The dry down was (is) great.....I do remember that first hour being a bit tough to handle for me.....The dry down was amazing!!!
    Gary

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Is this the one that is supposed to smell like apple pie or something? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm not familiar with most Hugo stuff.

Blog Entries

PuddleMonkey,

You're thinking of Boss Bottled (Boss No. 6). That one has a sweet, apple pie-like smell. Actually, it kind of smells like the 90's to me. Boss Number One is more of an 80's powerhouse, but I can understand people getting the names confused. Hugo Boss doesn't label his fragrances very well.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

ah, thanks for the info!

I just got a bottle of the vintage, and wore it today for the first time. I didn't find it to be more powerful than the new one, but it does seem a bit more natural and clearly more "transparent." I agree that the new one is more powdery, which I like, and also that may be more honey/urinous, which I think I could do without. However, the new one seems to have a more clear tobacco note, which I really like. So, at this point I'm not sure which I prefer. The vintage one might last a bit longer but at lower sillage; it's hard to tell with this one wearing. It might be a good idea to spray once to the chest with each, and see what that's like. I don't know if many newbies could tell the difference.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I just got a bottle of the vintage, and wore it today for the first time. I didn't find it to be more powerful than the new one, but it does seem a bit more natural and clearly more "transparent." I agree that the new one is more powdery, which I like, and also that may be more honey/urinous, which I think I could do without. However, the new one seems to have a more clear tobacco note, which I really like. So, at this point I'm not sure which I prefer. The vintage one might last a bit longer but at lower sillage; it's hard to tell with this one wearing. It might be a good idea to spray once to the chest with each, and see what that's like. I don't know if many newbies could tell the difference.
    Yeah. Actually, I find the vintage version to be somewhat similar to Aramis Havana, but sweeter.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

I received the trio yesterday (Current Number One, Vintage Hugo Boss and the Discontinued Hugo Boss Sport)
    I got the same feeling, the vintage slightly herbal, while the current is powdery (there are no powder in the vintage).
    The vintage is less sweet and have less honey.
    Also i got some hints of soap from the vintage, wich i dont find in the current. That was a great touch, wich gives me a much more clean vibe, and the possibility to use without worry in the warmer weather.
    In a blind test, if i asked, i would say that the current smell much more 80s or 70s than the vintage (for the powder honey).

Also, i find the vintage MUCH more stronger than the current. About twice strenght.

I loved the vintage, and unfortunatly my bottle is only 1.7oz, and leaked 30% at shipping (damn splash bottles), so now i own about 1oz of the vintage stuff. Will hunt for more, cause i liked a lot.

(rating/longevity)

Vintage: 5/5
    Current: 3.5/4
    Boss Sport: (not discussed here, just to compare) 4/4

Sorry my bad english and i love you all!

Tried both and wasn't a fan of either.

If you look on the back of the Vintage package there is Numbere One written. Funny as on the Current version its on the Front- And I have to agree the Vintage Version smells wonderfull! I had the shower Gel of Number One and loved the smell but the Current Edt wasnt smelling the same so i was wondering if there had been a refomulation and finished in buing a 50ml Splash bottle thats smell exactly the same as the shower gel, not urinous at all!

Im wearing the vintage today, hell its very very good.
    Very powerful, kinda animalic, but clean at the same time (slightly herbal and/or soapy) and so potent.

This seller have some vintages, for a veeery fair price
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSS-Hugo-Bo...item4156527f1b

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    Is this the one that is supposed to smell like apple pie or something? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm not familiar with most Hugo stuff.

That one is Boss Bottled.(Also called no.6 I think) pleasant apple pie version of something like Chanel Allure.
    I have the original Boss no.1 which I am very fond of, but unfortunately only a very small amount.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    ah, thanks for the info!

Sorry,already been answered. I should have read the whole thread first
    The link to the ebay seller looks good, might use it myself..

I wore this in high school - kind of thought it was a bit too old for my teenage age, but still pulled it off.

Can anyone recommend the new formulation ?

I like most of the classics.....Havana, VC&A PH, Tsar, Tuscany, Azzaro PH, Rive Gauche, Boss Bottled, Antaues etc.
    Is it worth a buy - I can get it for cheap, $40 for a 100 ml edt
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

I recently got a reformulated bottle of Boss Number One.
    I think it is certainly a quality fragrance, and I think anyone
    who likes patchouli-heavy fragrances will like this one, as that
    is what I primarily get out of it.

It reminds me strongly of a toned down Givenchy Gentleman.
    I'm not a fan of Givenchy Gentleman, but I like Boss Number 1.
    It's got a little bit of a urinous/animalic vibe at the beginning
    that gives it some flair, but that quickly tones down into a nice,
    masculine drydown.

At the prices it's being sold at now, I think the reformulated Boss Number One is
    a good buy. As usual, I'm sure the vintage is better if you can find it.