Code of Conduct

Default How often do you get bored with a scent?

Well I just foolishly sort of barked at a new member because in a way he wondered if he would get bored with a scent he likes and was thinking of buying because somewhere he'd read that other people got bored of it. He was trying to weigh the risk of possibly getting bored with the scent with whether it would end up being a bargain.

I really don't think there's a way to know if anyone will become bored with their fragrance or if he or she will come to love it greater, but all the same I thought it might be helpful for this new member and any other members who read this to think about getting bored with scents if any of us interested could relate how often it happens to us that we get bored of a scent we purchase and try living with. So...how often have you all become bored with a scent you once liked, purchased, and wore around?

In my case it hasn't happened very often. Of course I'm a bit of a special case because I can switch scents every morning and thus don't much run the risk of getting bored with a scent. Or at least I can do something about it the next morning if I do. That luxury isn't available to many who read here, though.

There are scents I'm sick of half way through a day, and there are scents I sniff at stores and know I'd find them boring if I were to wear them. I guess that comes with experience, and when I say about a scent that I'd become bored with it I think what I'm really saying is that I don't like it, don't find it stands out to me enough, and that really I don't like it in the first place. But there's a good question in asking about how we become bored with scents and, as I would now like to ask, how often it happens to those of us with long experiences with lots of scents.

In truth I think in my case it happens seldom, maybe one in fifty might eventually bring me that response since because I don't buy scents that don't interest me.

On the other hand I've had several periods in my life when I've worn one single scent every day for a year or two and never gotten tired of it. Just the opposite in fact, because smelling it on me always made me feel like it was right and perfect on me, and like it was how I should naturally smell and present myself.

So my experience says that familiarity brings comfort and greater delight in a scent I like. That's happened for me more often than getting bored of a scent.

I wonder how my fellow Basenoters of all experiences look at the issue.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Default Re: How often do you get bored with a scent?

cliff notes?

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    cliff notes?
    Your point is?

Never get bored with any of the fragrances in my massive collection.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

You take things a little too serious sometimes and you seem extra sensitive tonight. So I'm just gonna leave you be.

You take things a little too serious sometimes and you seem extra sensitive tonight. So I'm just gonna leave you be.
    Well you did say something, PuddleMonkey, and I did want to know what point you wanted to make. Maybe this thread's question isn't for you if you're not interested in it.

I usually rotate between my fragrances so I rarely get bored with a scent. I sometimes spray something I want to smell before I go to sleep even. haha. Like last night I wanted to smell Armani Code since I haven't used it in awhile, so i sprayed it on and sniffed it before i went to sleep.

Good thread DustB. For me it's not so much getting bored with any scent but that I want to be able to enjoy all of my scents in my wardrobe. So I often wear a scent once or twice and then switch. Lately, I've been on a kick where I wear something maybe 4 or 5 times.
    I'm like you. If I get bored with a scent then it means I probably don't even like it much.

I rarely wear the same scent two or more days in a row. The exception would be over the past two years-- there were patches where I would go maybe a few weeks wearing the same scent everyday-- and the scents that I wore repeatedly were Terre D'Hermes, Prada Infusion D'Homme, Varvatos Vintage, Creed Bois de Cedrat, Gucci Pour Homme II, Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme and Bleu de Chanel. So the pattern I see is that the scents that I found that got better over repeated wearings were actually mostly mainstream designer, non-challenging sorts of scents that would be considered "plain Janes" by Basenotes standards.

A scent like Bleu de Chanel, which most aficionados would find bland-- and I didn't see anything special about it when I bought it-- became more toothsome and satisfying when I allowed it to become a part of my persona by wearing it several days straight. I find the "boring" scents become less boring the more I wear them, paradoxically!

What a good thread and a nice response by Indie_Guy.

I too get bored with most of my fragrances easily. The exceptions, meaning frags I can wear for a whole week, are the more "user-friendly" juices in my collection:

Riverside Drive
    Neroli Portofino
    L'Humaniste
    Infusion d'Homme
    Green Irish Tweed / Chez Bond

Hardly ever. But whenever that happens, the boredom usually also passes sooner or later and before I know it, the scent in question is back in rotation again.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Never get bored with any of the fragrances in my massive collection.
    Me, too. It ain't possible.

But I know I wouldn't like wearing the same thing all the time.

Im not sure about getting bored , sometimes , usually when I get something new I will wear it endlessly for weeks on end then maybe tire of it and move on to something else . Only to return to said fragrance a while later and think to myself this is great I should wear it more often !

Sur la Plage

I never wear the same thing that often - so don't get bored with them.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Like petruccijc I rotate all the time so thankfully never get struck by ennui. Familiarity never breeds contempt. Nothing gives me greater pleasure than pulling the trigger on an old favourite.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 22nd December 2010 at 03:52 PM.

Never , After 30 min I can barely smell the fragrance unless when I put my nose against the point of aplication on my skin (I do it many times through the day to smell the frag, sometimes I take whiffs but it's rare. And my rotation actually have a wide range too

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    ...So my experience says that familiarity brings comfort and greater delight in a scent I like.....
    This about sums it up for me.

The idea of a frag i still own becoming boring to me is difficult to wrap my mind around. If i didn't like it, i wouldn't own it. If i like it, i would only appreciate it the more over time. Perhaps the idea applies more to those who predominantly acquire samples.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

AromiErotici

I have more juice than I could ever wear in multiple lifetimes.....partly for wardrobe-collection purposes and partly for variety. I can't say I get bored, but I can say that some don't get as much attention as others.

All I know is that it keeps growing......and I'm always wearing something.....

It happens every once in a while but I'm always faithful to my loved ones. Getting sick sometimes makes me uncomfortable wearing certain scents. I get bored with ambers in general but I always come back to them.

Funny thing you should mention this topic today! I used to love Ambre de Gallimard more than all the ambers including Ambre Sultan. Today morning I wore it but in two hours I grew quite uncomfortable with it.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I have more juice than I could ever wear in multiple lifetimes.....partly for wardrobe-collection purposes and partly for variety. I can't say I get bored, but I can say that some don't get as much attention as others.

All I know is that it keeps growing......and I'm always wearing something.....
    The same with me. With the exception of a week long wearing of Aramis Havana last year in a fit of pique for it's being ousted from BlueSoul's March Madness Tournament (I admit it was no sacrifice doing so), a several day wearing of a particularly intriguing fragrance is about the most consecutive wears for any of my wardrobe. I have yet to become bored with anything I wear.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I have concluded that on any given day, there are scents in my wardbrobe that would be a wrong choice. I can't do these scent-synch events and I usually can't choose my SOTD till I am standing in front of my wardbrobe.

It isn't a question of boredom for me, but what captivates me on that day. Today is a Tam Dao day for me. If I chose Ambre Sultan or Eau du Coq today, it just wouldn't have worked out. Not sure why, but it is what it is.

If I forced myself to wear a scent that was wrong for the day repeatedly, it would give me unpleasant olfactory memories and it may end up gathering dust (figuratelively speaking) for a good long while.

Great thread! I seldom get bored with a fragrance as well unless it is when I've made a purchase mistake like Versace Eau Fraiche. Most everything in my collection I love equally and the question for me every morning is that, I know each fragrance smells great but as Sensitivity put it, which one today will fulfill my mood.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I got bored of this thread after a few replies....

Maybe his will help..... nah, it didn't.
    Last edited by Pipsta; 22nd December 2010 at 03:00 PM.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

I don't get bored with a scent per se. For me, wearing a scent is more like doing a research project, after I've discovered all I can about it, I then move on to a new topic/fragrance. Of course, over time I usually revisit a fragrance with fresh eyes/nose and discover facets that I wasn't prepared to notice on my first go round.

Never bored here, in fact sometimes I wish there were 5 of me so I could spend more time with each scent in my collection. There are so many to try and sample and wear and not enough days in the year for me.

I usually have 2 on a day one at work and one after work when I change clothes, usually I keep the scent on clothes and wrists so I can scrub it off later on if it's still there. I still find myself wanting more time to spend with each scent getting to know it better.

Definitely not bored.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I know what you mean, DustB. There will be days when I'd wear the same fragrance every day for a week thinking how well it suits me and then I just stop wearing it, not necessarily out of boredom but rather out of fear that it might wear out its welcome and places itself out of rotation. There are also days when I'd switch my SotD halfway through the day (I usually carry a couple of travel sprays). That's why I seldom like fragrances that lasts longer than 7 hours.

@Pipsta. Omg, LMAO! Tks for that pic - the facial expression on the little one is PRICELESS!

I guess I'm one of the outliers...

I feel that unless the scent is one of your very best 5 star scents, you will ultimately get bored with the fragrance. This doesn't apply to those with large collections because those individuals simply do not wear any scent frequently enough to get bored. Speaking for myself, I would estimate that half of my ~15 bottle collection I really enjoy, and will continue to enjoy for the foreseeable future. The others seem to be in a constant state of flux. That is why I plan on adding to my collection slowly and carefully with the hopes that this will reduce the odds of boredom...

PS: I also think this is why I don't wear my favorite fragrance, unless it's for a special occasion. I think I'm subconsciously trying to make sure I never get bored with it...

I think subtle degradation of a fragrance may change an interesting scent to a dull one without the wearer being able to clue in to why. It smells good, but the sparkle is gone.

One of the thing that the original post has me thinking about with some nostalgia is the years when I wore Z-14 most days and it never occurred to me to get bored of it. Partly because I didn't notice it, or at least not in the same way I know how to read a frag these days. But it was comforting, in a way. A part of getting dressed.
    Yeah, I do get...something. Bored might be too strong but maybe distracted by the idea that I might have worn something else.
    So on the one hand I notice so much more in food and drink and the garden than I used to, and on the other I'm sometimes nostalgic for my naive nose.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

There was a period when I first got into fragrance and looking back it makes me smile. It was before I knew about Basenotes and I wore two fragrances exclusively: Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte and Rocabar. I probably wore each of them 170+ times a year for a couple of years. Never got bored. Where do they stand now? I still own both. Rocabar, I wear about 12 times a year now. I think I will do so for the rest of my life. Eau d'Orange Verte on the other hand sits on the shelf and won't be replaced. Boredom? Not exactly. Just that there are other citruses that are more satisfying to me.

cliff notes?
    lol! That was sooo wrong. lol

It happens quite a bit too me. I'll buy something, and then fall out of love with it. I can think of almost a dozen scents that I bought and either gave away or swapped becuase I just grew out of like with. dior Homme, Mesmerize, Lacoste Pour Homme, my Lancome Hypnose (use to be my favorite, but now I don't really reach for it), DKNY Be Delicious for men, Burberry London, Bogart Pour Homme...just so many. Now, I just sample, resample, and resample again, and make sure I absolutely love the fragrance before I pull the trigger on it!

It´s not so much a case of getting bored. In my case it´s my all-time top fragrances being continually overtaken. Just when I am convinced that I have finally found the ultimate fragrance, "my" fragrance, something comes along which tops it. My top five list has changed totally over the last five years, and not because of new fragrances, but with older discontinued fragrances that I have newly discovered.

Yes, I get bored of fragrances and stop wearing them. These include Encre Noire, GIT, Original Vetiver, Tuscany, Polo,.....

I just wear what I like.

I have ADD in real life, and it has afflicted me in my fragrance interests as well. I've yet to find anything that can hold my interest indefinitely, it just isn't out there. Most of the times the love comes back after an extended period without use.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I guess I'm one of the outliers...

I feel that unless the scent is one of your very best 5 star scents, you will ultimately get bored with the fragrance. This doesn't apply to those with large collections because those individuals simply do not wear any scent frequently enough to get bored. Speaking for myself, I would estimate that half of my ~15 bottle collection I really enjoy, and will continue to enjoy for the foreseeable future. The others seem to be in a constant state of flux. That is why I plan on adding to my collection slowly and carefully with the hopes that this will reduce the odds of boredom...

PS: I also think this is why I don't wear my favorite fragrance, unless it's for a special occasion. I think I'm subconsciously trying to make sure I never get bored with it...
    This is kind of how l feel. l've recently fallen in love with Samsara & feel like it's made for me, but l won't wear it every day just in case l get bored with it. Besides, my other frags need love & attention, too! l've only ever got bored if l've worn something every day for more than a few days. But then, like many of you, there were years before l got seriously into fragrance when l wore the same thing for months on end, & it never occurred to me to get bored. l think that for many of us, once we start seriously trying lots of different frags, our attention span gets shorter!

By the way, excuse my ignorance, but curiosity has got the better of me; what does "cliff notes" mean? l don't get it! *scratches head*
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I never wear the same thing that often - so don't get bored with them.
    Ditto

Basenotes Institution

Great thread C.

I attribute getting bored with fragrances one of the main reasons why I found Basenotes. I just couldn't seem to find other fragrances (or people to discuss these fragrances) that excited me enough, without the internet and this site.

Now, like many have mentioned above, I have way more fragrances than I can possibly wear in one lifetime (and the samples keep piling up). Almost the opposite of boredom = overstimulation.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post

By the way, excuse my ignorance, but curiosity has got the better of me; what does "cliff notes" mean? l don't get it! *scratches head*
    Here ya go!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CliffsNotes

I believe I follow the same pattern as any other sensate habit (food, music, art, intellectual pursuits, games, etc...yeah the NSFW kind too); I will wear a certain set of fragrances for, say, 6 months, then less or none of one, a new one enters the set, then back to an old one. Maybe its seasonal. There seems to be ones that never go away, others that I wear 3 times a year.

Blog Entries

Thanks KMF! l still don't get the connection with this thread, but l guess it's an American "in-joke", right?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Thanks KMF! l still don't get the connection with this thread, but l guess it's an American "in-joke", right?
    He was basically saying that the original post was too long and was looking for a quick summary.

Blog Entries

He was basically saying that the original post was too long and was looking for a quick summary.
    Oh l see!! Funny guy. Thanks for bothering to explain that KMF, bless you!