Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Why is Acqua Di Gio so popular??

No, im not bashing Acqua Di Gio at all. As a matter of fact, i think its a very good fragrance, and as i am sitting thinking about what aquatic to add to my 'drobe, im still considering it.

But why is it more popular then other fresh fragrances like Allure Homme Sport, Issey Miyake, Bvlgari Aqua?

Why is Acqua Di Gio the king of populaarity and not those other safe fresh smells??
    My Current Fab Four Fragrances:
    1) La Nuit De L'homme
    2) Valentino Uomo Intense
    3) Pure Malt
    4) Le Male

Default Re: Why is Acqua Di Gio so popular??

I think it's a FAR better scent than most in here would have you believe. Despite all the bitching and carping, it remains wildly successful for one reason and one reason alone....it's incredibly pleasant and well made.

Personally I have longevity and sillage issues with it, but I do think it's a beautiful scent.

Dependent

You can sticky this answer: Because many people like it.

Yes it is that simple.

I don't know, peer pressure maybe? Boys feel like that need to smell like other boys? I wear it, but I don't care why. You don't need to over think. Try to approach this as a hobby, not a means to an end.

yeah guys im completely aware that its a great, pleasant scent. but is it really THAT much better then fragrances like chanel allure homme sport, l'eau d'issey, bvlgari aqua, ect that it is SO much more popular then those ffragrancs??
    1) La Nuit De L'homme
    3) Pure Malt
    4) Le Male

Dependent

double post again, bloody hell.
    Last edited by MFJ; 22nd December 2010 at 10:15 PM.

Armani must give out some good-ass goodies or x-mas presents
    to salespersons all over the world, 'cause you cannot enter a
    perfumerie, and not get this juice suggested!

I dunno, I find it below average ... boring! But, safe!

Dependent

yeah guys im completely aware that its a great, pleasant scent. but is it really THAT much better then fragrances like chanel allure homme sport, l'eau d'issey, bvlgari aqua, ect that it is SO much more popular then those ffragrancs??
    Well, if it is apparent to you...

I dunno but i definitely think it's a better fragrance than acqva, issey and allure sport

It's essentially a modern take on a classic formula. In that regard, it takes some traditional elements and makes them suitable for younger palate, enabling it to reach a broader market. Same approach is taken by movie studios when they look for "four quadrant" movies. It was also pretty contrary to a lot of the earlier mainstream scents in the decade, as well as the one before, and from what I would say, helped push the movement towards fresher scents. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery, after all. The only scent I can think of, off hand, prior to its release that would be vaguely similar would be Calvin Klein's Escape.
    The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

I don't know because I've never smelled it. Perhaps I smelled it on someone wearing it, but I wouldn't know for sure because I've never actually smelled it.

Maybe I should.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Armani must give out some good-ass goodies or x-mas presents
    to salespersons all over the world, 'cause you cannot enter a
    perfumerie, and not get this juice suggested!
    So true!

Quote Originally Posted by buzzley View Post
    I don't know because I've never smelled it. Perhaps I smelled it on someone wearing it, but I wouldn't know for sure because I've never actually smelled it.
    Freshly cut melon at a cafe near the beach.

Herd mentality ?

The Armani name has/had more "CACHET" than those other ones mentioned here, and it went from there.

Plus it smells nice!

Dependent

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Herd mentality ?
    Yes. They has a smell.

This was actually my first cologne ever in 1996 from my mom. At that time aquatics were very popular and haven't smelled anything like Aqua Di Gio. It was a really different aquatic. The fresh citrus and fruity scents were teamed with strong, musky and woody elements. The girls really really loved it. I was the only one in highschool that had it in 1996! Other kids were wearing stuff like Polo Sport, Eternity, and Cool Water at the time. Which I also had that that time

Chanel Allure Sport - 2004
    Issey Miyake - 1994
    Bvlgari Aqua -2005

Simple: Girls like it. Most guys don't care about fragrance and will wear *anything* that they think girls will like. *Anything*
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Simple: Girls like it. Most guys don't care about fragrance and will wear *anything* that they think girls will like. *Anything*
    yes i know that, but do girls really like it more then they like aluure homme sport and issey?? thats my point
    1) La Nuit De L'homme
    3) Pure Malt
    4) Le Male

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    yes i know that, but do girls really like it more then they like aluure homme sport and issey?? thats my point
    I haven't re-purchased it because I wanted to try many other fragrances. I have so many fresh aquatics. D&G Light Blue and Versace Eau Fraiche for example. But to answer your question.... the girls love it. I can recognize instantly when someone is wearing it. It's to popular son.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistawho View Post
    I haven't re-purchased it because I wanted to try many other fragrances. I have so many fresh aquatics. D&G Light Blue and Versace Eau Fraiche for example. But to answer your question.... the girls love it. I can recognize instantly when someone is wearing it. It's to popular son.

yeah. how do u like Eau Fraiche?? Im really considering getting it
    1) La Nuit De L'homme
    3) Pure Malt
    4) Le Male

Yes, that is what girls have told me in the past. But they also like Issey and other things like Armani Code, just not as much. Never heard anyone mention Allure Homme Sport or Allure Homme Sport Cologne.

I suspect that most girls look at the brand first before deciding what to like and imprint that positive brand association when they smell it (look at A&F Fierce). Apparently they prefer their boys in Armani. It is the same way that most girls would rather have a $300 gift from Tiffany's rather than a $500 gift from Kay Jewelers. It really isn't about the intrinsic quality or the value of the thing, but its social value/cache/what have you.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

yeah. how do u like Eau Fraiche?? Im really considering getting it
    It's also very good. Girls like that one too. It's a very popular fragrance. The reason why I bought Versace Eau Fraiche was because my girlfriend at the time loved it. She really liked the fresh citrusly type fragrances.

Jonny, do you watch reviews on youtube? I really recommend you watch and subscribe to many of the main reviewers out there! the youtube fragrance community is pretty awesome.

deleted

---
    Last edited by deleted; 13th January 2011 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistawho View Post
    It's also very good. Girls like that one too. It's a very popular fragrance. The reason why I bought Versace Eau Fraiche was because my girlfriend at the time loved it. She really liked the fresh citrusly type fragrances.

Jonny, do you watch reviews on youtube? I really recommend you watch and subscribe to many of the main reviewers out there! the youtube fragrance community is pretty awesome.
    yea dude im a youtube fragrance review junkie. im suscribed to all of em
    1) La Nuit De L'homme
    3) Pure Malt
    4) Le Male

Luca Turin said something like everyone likes citrus notes. I actually don't, but apparently just about everyone else does, so that's another possibility with these kinds of frags.

Because it smells great!!! I've said this many times over the years.....Americans want a scent that smells good right now.....They do not want something that will smell good an hour or 2 or 3 hours from now.....They want it to smell good now.....and they want it to smell good at the end of the day!!! Gio does this.....and it does this very good.....I have no problems with this lasting on my skin.....and the biggest part of the USA must not have this problem either.....As much as many hate this here at Basnotes.....It's very hard to argue the numbers.....numbers and dollars don't lie.....not for 14 years!!!
    Gary

just because it's more popular doesnt mean it's better. i personally like chanel allure homme sport alot better than adg

like i said, im not hating on it at all. i actually really rteally really like it, and im considering getting it again. i was just curious as to why THIS particularly is more popular then a fragrance like, Eau Fraiche, for example
    1) La Nuit De L'homme
    3) Pure Malt
    4) Le Male

because ADG layers well with any fragrance say 1 million for example ... Acqua di million.
    Looking to purchase - Aventus any size or participate in a split

The smell, the brand, the price and the availability work together to make it tough to beat.