Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Default New Fragrance: By Killian Incense Oud

From nstperfume.com:

Niche line Niche line By Kilian will launch Incense Oud in March. Incense Oud is the third fragrance in the Arabian Nights collection (see Pure Oud, Rose Oud). Two more fragrances, based on amber and musk, are still expected.

Incense, mystic perfume whose smoke was said to be one of the links between mortals and Gods, is combined with oud, giving birth to a fragrance that is mysterious and warm, yet stunningly modern.

With the creation of Incense Oud from the Arabian Nights collection, KILIAN invites us once again to discover the olfactive charms of the Middle East.

Incense Oud was developed by perfumer Sidonie Lancesseur, who also developed By Kilian Straight to Heaven and Cruel Intentions (both in the Black Masterpiece collection).

By Kilian Incense Oud will be available in 50 ml, $395

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Default Re: New Fragrance: By Killian Incense Oud

I'd sniff it

This is a must sniff for me. I love incense and I love oud.
    But I hope it's more than just a combination of frankincense and oud with a little myrrh thrown in.
    I wish they would have listed the notes.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I'm wearing it tonight

well?

$395 for 50ml? What's this world comming to?
    Let your nose be your pilot

$395! Forget the bottle. Pour a drop in my hand for $10!

I love the Killian line .... but ..... for the price didnt think either of the ouds were worth it

However since Im a bit of a U turn person , who knows I might end up loving them

That's more than I paid for my 2nd hand car....
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Wonder if they'll do the travel sprays for this one ... Always a good alternative ....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    Wonder if they'll do the travel sprays for this one ... Always a good alternative ....
    I enjoy the By Killian line, but they are too pricey for the full bottles. I have not fallen in love too deeply with any of them and the travel bottles are just enough for me.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I've only smelled one of them, can't remember which it was at the moment.

Back to Black! That's it... and I thought it was very well done.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    This is a must sniff for me. I love incense and I love oud.
    But I hope it's more than just a combination of frankincense and oud with a little myrrh thrown in.
    I wish they would have listed the notes.

My sentiments too!

There's a hint of rose and sandalwood in the background but the character of the fragrance is definitely not the compelling incense presence. Think nothing of the kind. A simplistic take on woodied church incense, a touch of myrrh (which imparts a little sweetness along with the faint dried rose petals' sense on the scent). Wears close to the skin and has a nano smidgen of agarwood (oud). The antitheses of what a Montale would have been in the incense/oud department. Now you smell, now you don't approach.

Post Re: New Fragrance: By Killian Incense Oud

Received e-mail today from Lucky Scent announcing that they are taking preorders and shipping February 1st.

From their site (copy/paste):

The Scoop

By Kilian’s third tale in the Arabian Nights collection – signed by Sidonie Lancesseur who composed the oud-themed Cruel Intentions as well as Straight to Heaven for the brand’s L’Oeuvre Noire series – boasts no actual oud in its list of materials. If Incense Oud lives up to the second half of its name, it is through the interplay between the woodiness of cedar, patchouli and sandalwood and the ambery, leathery accents of cistus labdanum and oakmoss. The incense, which makes up 25% of the formula, reads as a dark presence, its citrus facets magnified by geranium, methyl pamplemousse (a grapefruit-smelling material) and cardamom – the latter perhaps a subtle quote of the cardamom coffee popular in Arabic countries, its anisic facets combining with pink pepper to refresh the scent. Turkish rose oil, though highly dosed, is seamlessly worked into the blend as a counterpoint to the dark woody facets; a cocktail of musks permeate the scent with their soft animalic notes. Exceptionally smooth, polished and full-bodied, Incense Oud may just be the most darkly sensuous interpretation of its starring notes.

Incense Oud Notes

Guatemala cardamom, pink pepper, Turkish rose, Egyptian geranium, methyl pamplemousse, Virginia cedarwood, Indonesian patchouli, Indian papyrus, Somalia incense (oil and absolute), sandalwood, Macedonian oakmoss, Spanish cistus labdanum, musks.

I'm actually excited to try this new Incense Oud. It will be my first By Killian. I'll be going for the refills too, Primrose! They look rather nice, actually. I don't have space to clutter my shelves up with those presentations...(sigh)

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    I'm actually excited to try this new Incense Oud. It will be my first By Killian. I'll be going for the refills too, Primrose! They look rather nice, actually. I don't have space to clutter my shelves up with those presentations...(sigh)
    I don't think I have seen any of the Oud fragrances in the refills/travel sprays - yet.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I don't think I have seen any of the Oud fragrances in the refills/travel sprays - yet.
    does this count:
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...ollection.html

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    It does! Thanks.

I personally do not like the ones I have tried enough to buy them, at any price.

This is one time when knowing the perfumer behind a creation is a great boon. I've really disliked everything I've smelled from Sidonie Lanceusser, so I won't go out of my way to sample this.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Better to sticking to Montale Aouds

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    This is one time when knowing the perfumer behind a creation is a great boon. I've really disliked everything I've smelled from Sidonie Lanceusser, so I won't go out of my way to sample this.
    It seems there is conflicting information. According to The Scented Salamander, who double checked this with by Kilian press, this was done by Calice Becker. Bye bye, great boon.

So does methyl pamplemousse show up elsewhere?

Blog Entries

I would not consider paying $350 for 50ml, simply out of control.

Actually, it's $395, N_Tesla. I guess at that point though, the extra $45 shouldn't really matter.

I tend to fall for expensive fragrances, but I agree, $395 for 50ml is absolutely ridiculous!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Been wearing the sample I got for two days and it's gown on me. I can feel the cardamom after I read the pyramid and it looks it's more complex than I early thought. The price is still way beyond reasonable and c'mmon Kilian, who needs that packaging and the plate?

Quote Originally Posted by magnnum View Post
    $395 for 50ml? What's this world comming to?
    Yes, this is way out of my league.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

This one of the finest oud's I have sampled. Well done. But at this price it'll be decants from Perfumed Court for me.

Also in this niche line by Kilian there are no travel sprays or refills produced.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by fsface View Post
    This one of the finest oud's I have sampled. Well done. But at this price it'll be decants from Perfumed Court for me.

Also in this niche line by Kilian there are no travel sprays or refills produced.
    There are refills: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...ollection.html

fsface and killervavoom, please share some more detailed thoughts about this as you wear it more, if you wouldn't mind. I'm curious how weighty it is and if it is dense or light (I thought the original Pure Oud was very smooth and
    "clear"). How present is the incense and is it more smoky or resinous? Thanks!

edit: sorry killer_vavoom, I just read your original more lengthy post... much appreciated. I'm excited to try this. Of course any new thoughts are always welcome.
    Last edited by nthny; 28th January 2011 at 12:32 PM.

I sampled Incense Oud both yesterday and today. For me it's By Kilian's most boring release to date. It also seems unfinished. Very unbalanced to my nose. I guess it's just not for me. It does have excellent longevity and sillage.

According to Luckyscent, this doesn't even contain oud (I can't detect any), but then they apparently got the perfumer wrong as well.

I'm getting more rose than anything else. It's very wearable, and I like it, but not $400 much.

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    fsface and killervavoom, please share some more detailed thoughts about this as you wear it more, if you wouldn't mind. I'm curious how weighty it is and if it is dense or light (I thought the original Pure Oud was very smooth and
    "clear"). How present is the incense and is it more smoky or resinous? Thanks!

edit: sorry killer_vavoom, I just read your original more lengthy post... much appreciated. I'm excited to try this. Of course any new thoughts are always welcome.
    It's light-moderate, weight wise, dark but not overbearing. Good materials with the rose/cardmon/myrrh meshing extremely well. Pleasant and behaved, I'm sure there's someone out there who will think it their dream scent but I find it unexciting and devoid of anything I'd recognize as agarwood.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    So pay another $225 to get the atomiseur & bottle? I'll sell you one for half that Methinks they priced it much too high for the market to bear so they released the refill at a much lower price to get more attention and sales.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Indeed - it was only my good fortune that I have the actual presentation (for Cruel Intentions) gently used from somebody in the fragrance community. But heck those refills look pretty nice!

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    So pay another $225 to get the atomiseur & bottle? I'll sell you one for half that Methinks they priced it much too high for the market to bear so they released the refill at a much lower price to get more attention and sales.

Oh my frickin finger lickin goodness , anyone else spy this By Kilian Oud trilogy box set ? All 3 50ml bottles for a whopping £545 which I guess is a bargain compared to buying them all in the fancy boxes

http://www.harveynichols.com/beauty/...-gift-set.html

I found this quite pleasant, but wish it came in 100ml.

I think it is ok... but not nearly as good as Rose Oud IMO. It reminded me of Epic Man a little, but Incense Oud is softer, gentler and easier to wear. Like Rose Oud, the blending is good and it is hard to tell where one note leaves off and the other begins. The incense note is most prominent, the other notes support it in a gentle, ethereal way. Oud is not really discernible in this frag.

hednic, I believe 100 mL refills are available.

I see they have 50ml refills on Luckyscent now for $175... I like this scent, but it has no actual oud in it which is puzzling, and it's pretty light. Can't decide if I really want any or not. I did love Pure Oud and Rose Oud.

Oh I tried this at a store today and I loved it straight away. I had an inkling it was pricy - I'm glad I didn't ask the sales assistant the price then and there, I would have totally lost my composure!
    It sort of reminded me of GDG Avignon, I guess it has several of the same notes. At five times the price, it's making avignon look more and more like a bargain!

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    I see they have 50ml refills on Luckyscent now for $175... I like this scent, but it has no actual oud in it which is puzzling, and it's pretty light. Can't decide if I really want any or not. I did love Pure Oud and Rose Oud.
    I am seriously thinking about getting the 50ml refill. I love this perfume, but I would not pay for the small atomizer. It wears soft, but has plenty of sillage and lasts for hours on my skin. I love the smoothness of the incense. As much as I love Avignon, it is more "in your face".
    Evenstar

I really liked it and found it enticing! for the money though; very steep. If you like Cardinal you may find this a nice compliment...different but similar genre...

I still think it's great. On the refills yes they were planning to make them but they weren't actually available until a few weeks ago. ANYONE (in USA) WANT TO SPLIT A REFILL BOTTLE 50/50 WITH ME, send me a PM. You can even have the bottle itself and the magic gold funnel.

Incense and oud together! Sounded fantastic but then I tried it...A huge rose note and some incense on a sweet and opulent oud base. Affected mannerism at ridicolous prices or, if you prefer, an insolent and unnecessary opulence ostentation.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Tried it today. I actually liked it. It has a few elements in common with Noir de Noir, but it's definitely a bit darker. I liked it more than I ever expected I would. Don't know that I'd spring for a bottle, as the prices are quite inflated even at By Killian's standards. I received a couple of compliments even.

AromiErotici

I hope to sample it pretty soon. I can't say I was impressed with Pure Oud, so hopefully I'll fare better with this one. So far, it sounds pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I hope to sample it pretty soon. I can't say I was impressed with Pure Oud, so hopefully I'll fare better with this one. So far, it sounds pretty good.
    I didn't care for Pure Oud either. This one is more resinous, with a bit of sweetness and some rose absolute notes....

I finally got a sample of this through the mail this morning an in my stupid (sleepy eyed) clumsiness managed to drop the vial on the kitchen floor! One smashed bottle. Gutted to say the least. I did mange to get the faintest residual squirt from the remains though. Very nice too! I'll try again and next time open carefully over a carpeted surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat2112 View Post
    I finally got a sample of this through the mail this morning an in my stupid (sleepy eyed) clumsiness managed to drop the vial on the kitchen floor! One smashed bottle. Gutted to say the least. I did mange to get the faintest residual squirt from the remains though. Very nice too! I'll try again and next time open carefully over a carpeted surface.
    Welcome to Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I haven't had a chance to try Pure Oud (or Rose Oud), so I'd love to hear your thoughts and comparison when you try this.

My first thought upon trying Incense Oud was that I need to revisit CdG's incense line, especially Avignon and Kyoto. I love the subtlety of this, but I can't convince myself it's worth the price of admission.

Quote Originally Posted by Indaco View Post
    I haven't had a chance to try Pure Oud (or Rose Oud), so I'd love to hear your thoughts and comparison when you try this.

My first thought upon trying Incense Oud was that I need to revisit CdG's incense line, especially Avignon and Kyoto. I love the subtlety of this, but I can't convince myself it's worth the price of admission.
    That's interesting! I had only one spray and it was pretty powerful. It was definitely nothing at all like CdG's incense line IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    That's interesting! I had only one spray and it was pretty powerful. It was definitely nothing at all like CdG's incense line IMO.
    It could've seemed more subdued than I expected because I used two sprays on a relatively cool day. I'll give it another try soon.