Code of Conduct
    In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Default Someone needs to tell Pierre it isn't a race

Did I read that right, Montale has released 69 perfumes in 2 years? How is this even possible? Is there any quality control?

Discuss

Default Re: Someone needs to tell Pierre it isn't a race

Pierre stole ideas from other perfumers and made dozen variations from one theme (i don't think when can exactly call that 69 creations when the differences are sometimes slightly perceptibles...)

Montale is the BPAL of Niche.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Montale is the Porsche 911 of perfumes.
    Current top 5
    1. Creed Vintage Tabarme
    2. Maison Francis Kurkdjian Absolue pour le Soir
    3. Comme des Garons 8 88
    4. Montale Black Musk
    5. Profumum Antico Caruso

AromiErotici

I am still waiting for the release of Pink Double Aoud light.

Actually, Montale Parfums has been around since 2001 and (not including discontinuations and the extraits) has released roughly 80 fragrances to date (77 of which are available at the Paris store).

And, yes, I've smelt nearly all of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    And, yes, I've smelt nearly all of them...
    even boise vanille?

if you like that one your sniffer is clearly broke

AromiErotici

I cannot seem to appreciate nuances with Montale's aoud dominant themes. I don't dislike their releases, but I guess my nose is so ingrained with western conventionalism that they are too similar for my taste.

I thought red vetiver was pretty good

Montale is one of my all time favorite niche houses. Keep them coming Pierre!

Yes, keep them coming, because perhaps then I will finally smell one that I like ! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Yes, keep them coming, because perhaps then I will finally smell one that I like ! LOL.
    lol!

Raffy sent me a bunch of samples with my Creed order. Two of them are Montale's, Amber & Spices and Aoud Forest, I'll probably try A&S tonight.

The same thing now applies (at least to some degree) to almost every perfume house, even Chanel and Guerlain.

Most "....niche fragrance series, are just an already identifiable generic variant of the niche genre
    .....insubstantial variants in an age in which insubstantial variants are the norm and "instant classics."

Even with the new technology, a great perfume still usually takes years to make. That's why there are so few of them. In their lifetime, most of the best perfumers didn't even produce as many fragrances as the average niche company now puts out in a few years. Creating an exceptional basenote accord in itself still takes two years or more.

As scentemental (not scent-e-mental) wrote:

".....like most niche fragrance series released since "niche" coalesced into an aspirational category--is pleasant enough, and some fragrances in the series have very beguiling top and heart notes, but the basenotes finishes are always unremarkable, mostly not very costly musk aromachemicals finished with very little craft and very simplistically. It's easy to fashion captivating top notes and heart notes, but the true test of craft in any fragrance is the quality, complexity, heft, and, most importantly, the captivating, charming, mesmeric, persistent quiddity of the basenote accord...."

In order to find true mastery in fragrances, you usually have to look at things produced before the early 90's.
    Last edited by pluran; 25th December 2010 at 03:04 AM.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    The same thing now applies (at least to some degree) to almost every perfume house, even Chanel and Guerlain.

Most "....niche fragrance series, are just an already identifiable generic variant of the niche genre
    .....insubstantial variants in an age in which insubstantial variants are the norm and "instant classics."

Even with the new technology, a great perfume usually still takes years to make. That's why there are so few of them.
    Well said. The past year I have been sampling quite a bit of niche. I have found 6 out of hundreds that I wish to add to the drobe this coming year.......yet......in spite of the numerous classic designers I already own, there's still more of them I desire to add.

".....like most niche fragrance series released since "niche" coalesced into an aspirational category--is pleasant enough, and some fragrances in the series have very beguiling top and heart notes, but the basenotes finishes are always unremarkable, mostly not very costly musk aromachemicals finished with very little craft and very simplistically. It's easy to fashion captivating top notes and heart notes, but the true test of craft in any fragrance is the quality, complexity, heft, and, most importantly, the captivating, charming, mesmeric, persistent quiddity of the basenote accord...."
    Agreed, I'm disgusted with most bases. Especially the standard vanilla/tonka bullsh!t found in so many releases. Cookie cutter crap!

Wild Aoud is quite literally the best thing I've smelled. I love it so much I almost can't bear to put it on because I'm worried about only having 50mL

Really digging Red Vetvyer too and am wearing it pretty often.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

I wished they would label their glass sample vials. Now I can't tell which is what as they have fallen out of the cards.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I love this house and Montale's creations do transport me to another place and time whether they end up being "star performers" for me or not (I own three only). Some I absolutely adore but can't pull off (too feminine, too animalic, etc.) but that doesn't take anything away from the beauty of those creations. The point is that all of this is subjective and personal.
    Like many other artists, he happens to be prolific and may create numerous works in a short period of time. We don't have to like or appreciate all of them. One only needs to think of painters or graphic artists who are admired by all and had many "sketches" among few other "masterpieces." The prints were still numbered and sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I wished they would label their glass sample vials. Now I can't tell which is what as they have fallen out of the cards.
    I agree with you.

Maybe Montale is trying the monkey axiom: get enough monkeys in a room on typewriters and they'll eventually come up with War and Peace.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Maybe Montale is trying the monkey axiom: get enough monkeys in a room on typewriters and they'll eventually come up with War and Peace.
    lol

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

If all we had were 10 new releases a year, what would we discuss here? I do admit that visiting the Montale store is quite an over-whelming experience.

I once invited Pierre over to my shack... smoked some bongs and got interested in a mathematical formula generator that I was working on for my thesis. His curiosity piqued and his pockets overflowing with cash, me and the formula generator parted for a princely sum...and it has been making Pierre happy ever since with some of the most random perfume names and promiscuous output since Elvis Presley albums..
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    I love this house and Montale's creations do transport me to another place and time whether they end up being "star performers" for me or not (I own three only). Some I absolutely adore but can't pull off (too feminine, too animalic, etc.) but that doesn't take anything away from the beauty of those creations. The point is that all of this is subjective and personal.
    Like many other artists, he happens to be prolific and may create numerous works in a short period of time. We don't have to like or appreciate all of them. One only needs to think of painters or graphic artists who are admired by all and had many "sketches" among few other "masterpieces." The prints were still numbered and sold.
    Yes, let's remember that Claude Monet has painted about 250 or so of the Water Lilies in his days... Clearly, there is still room to go for Pierre.

Its a bit redundant really. Black, Red and White are enough !
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Its a busted mess. Enough with the Aoud and tin cans. Get creative and have a new offering.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Those bottles are annoying, I don't like any bottle that doesn't allow me to see the juice.

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

I just wish Montale had better European distribution.
    Seems crazy that a French company will have stockists in the US, but chooses not to make its product available across la manche.

On the flip side, this isn't 1925 anymore. Perfumers have access to all sorts of technology to assess and analyze perfume formulas in record time thus being able to pump out fragrances faster than ever. Sure innovation still requires deep hard work and the industry has become more commercial but we can't ignore the rapidly improving technology and new materials being made available in record time.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by jzzbassman View Post
    Wild Aoud is quite literally the best thing I've smelled. I love it so much I almost can't bear to put it on because I'm worried about only having 50mL
    How's that Wild Aoud treating you nearly a year later? It's definitely still in my top five although I don't wear it a ton. I'm still confused on what it is I love about it so much.

Pierre's about to hit 80 fragrances btw

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    How's that Wild Aoud treating you nearly a year later? It's definitely still in my top five although I don't wear it a ton. I'm still confused on what it is I love about it so much.

Pierre's about to hit 80 fragrances btw
    Still my top. I can't figure it out either LOL. Something in it is just so imminently wearable and addictive at the same time. There are times I think I may like Black Aoud or Aoud Lime even more, but I can tire of them both. I never seem to tire of the Wild Aoud.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

Aoud Lime huh? I don't think I've tried this one. I found Black Aoud to be heavy on the rose, too heavy for me.

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    hahahaha, great!!

Did I read that right, Montale has released 69 perfumes in 2 years? How is this even possible? Is there any quality control?
    well, considering the redundancy of smells of most of Montales, in fact, It would be less than 69

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Montale is one of my all time favorite niche houses. Keep them coming Pierre!
    I second that Hednic!

Discuss
    Since you are asking the question, I take it you haven't smelled most of them?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

"Celine, cmon, gimme that Aoud Flower Vanille.
    Thanks.
    Now, I will add some some woods.
    Hmm, still strong, so we will release it under the name:
    Aoud Lake"

Discuss
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    Pierre stole ideas from other perfumers and made dozen variations from one theme (i don't think when can exactly call that 69 creations when the differences are sometimes slightly perceptibles...)

I was about to say what Mon-Petit but instead of saying stole I would say sought encouragement from.
    Plus a lot of them are variations of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza View Post
    Montale is the Porsche 911 of perfumes.
    Ohh noooo you didnt (in middle aged black lady tone)!
    Last edited by hedonist222; 10th October 2011 at 12:39 PM.

for swap/sale:

As scentemental (not scent-e-mental) wrote:

In order to find true mastery in fragrances, you usually have to look at things produced before the early 90's.

Agreed, I'm disgusted with most bases. Especially the standard vanilla/tonka bullsh!t found in so many releases. Cookie cutter crap!
    Yes both are very true.

Or sandalwood & patchouli or amber and moss.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Prolly because customers walk in and require SA assistance. I say this because they were filling online customer orders right there in the boutique. Cardboard boxes and cello tape and everything right there in front of the customer.

Thats what I've reiterated a good amount of times on the forum.

This organization has no class lacks class.

I passed by the Montale flagship boutique in Place Vendome and the interior was crappy. Not minimalist which would be fine. It was made to look classy but wasnt. Sort of gaudy.
    The SAs were wearing tattered (well worn) clothes and even went as far as to insult Frederic Malle perfumes when I mentioned im on my way there by saying "his perfumes are not good and dont last" or something like that.
    There was a lady in the office above that was screaming over her lungs on the phone about some international order while I a customer was in the store.
    The stands they use to promote their products here in the UAE are trashy too. Its a display with the sides covered in fake alligator leather and it looks really fake.
    Either use real alligator or dont use any sort of leather if you cant afford it. Plain wood would have been ok but using fake alligator just looks terrible.

To me they are trying to force feed their prestige onto customers.
    At a glance everything looks nice. Wooden interiors, glass, flowers.
    But when you take a proper look you'll see its overkill.

And here is where they were filling dozens and dozens of bottles for online customers!

Sweat shop or flagship boutique at Place Vendome?

I have nothing against Montale but it irks me that he is trying to represent himself as a prestigious high end boutique such as Bvlgari or Hermes when the material and visual aids he uses is of terrible quality. Its insulting to me.

for swap/sale:

A fellow basenoter has selflessly sent me a lot of montale samples, and i'm quite impressed with the quality of some of the non-aoud line. Patchouli Leaves, Boisee Vainille and Red Vetyver deserve a full bottle purchase IMO.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somehow, I still haven't managed to smell even one Montale yet. Does anyone know where I can test even a fraction of his almost 80 fragrances in the SF Bay Area?

hedonist222, thanks for the pics. Very interesting to see their base of operations.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    Somehow, I still haven't managed to smell even one Montale yet. Does anyone know where I can test even a fraction of his almost 80 fragrances in the SF Bay Area?

hedonist222, thanks for the pics. Very interesting to see their base of operations.
    Your welcome but those aren't my pictures. Found them on the net. Someone left them unattended.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    Patchouli Leaves, Boisee Vainille and Red Vetyver deserve a full bottle purchase IMO.
    surely you kid, there's no way anyone can wear BV.

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

From the few I've tried, I'd say Montale is like the Frank Zappa of perfumerie... sometimes very good, sometimes quirky, but only tolerable in small doses.

IMO Montales has a very discontinuous standard. He ranges from outstanding compositions a-la Aoud Musk, Aoud Cuir D'Arabie, Original Aoud to total craps like Vetiver De Sables, Ginger Musk or Boise Vanille. The oud overkill bought him to saturate the market with tones of microvariations on the main theme that are, let's face it, unnecessary and otrageously redundant. Said that, we can't deny he also delivered some nice/very nice/fantastic compositions (the aforementioned ones plus Red Aoud, Black Musk, Musk to Musk, Blue Amber, Patchouli Leaves, Aoud Lime...).

For what concernes Black Aoud, I'm with PuddleMonkey. It's really too heavy on the rose. A great fragrance but rose (when it's so prominent) it's like kryptonite to me.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    The oud overkill bought him to saturate the market with tones of microvariations on the main theme that are, let's face it, unnecessary and otrageously redundant.
    Most definitely.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

For what concernes Black Aoud. Its really too heavy on the rose.
    I dont particularly feel a 'problem' the rose in BA.
    I just cant stand the overdose of a nuclear-synthetic and inflated kind of Aoud here.

IMO Montales has a very discontinuous standard. He ranges from outstanding compositions a-la Aoud Musk, Aoud Cuir D'Arabie, Original Aoud to total craps like Vetiver De Sables, Ginger Musk or Boise Vanille. The oud overkill bought him to saturate the market with tones of microvariations on the main theme that are, let's face it, unnecessary and otrageously redundant. Said that, we can't deny he also delivered some nice/very nice/fantastic compositions (the aforementioned ones plus Red Aoud, Black Musk, Musk to Musk, Blue Amber, Patchouli Leaves, Aoud Lime...).

For what concernes Black Aoud, I'm with PuddleMonkey. It's really too heavy on the rose. A great fragrance but rose (when it's so prominent) it's like kryptonite to me.
    That much intensity of rose is great for me. I was avoiding Black Aoud for a long time because I had issues with the mediocre (if being generous) quality used. I somehow got over it and now enjoy Black Aoud.

Im similar to you in Jasmine and white flowers. Anything prominent makes me sick.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    That much intensity of rose is great for me. I was avoiding Black Aoud for a long time because I had issues with the mediocre (if being generous) quality used.
    LoL , I think we had a similar feeling/thought here!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    LoL , I think we had a similar feeling/thought here!!
    I just read your post in the email notification and laughter LOL. Same opinion. Great minds...

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    I dont particularly feel a 'problem' the rose in BA.
    I just cant stand the overdose of a nuclear-synthetic and inflated kind of Aoud here.
    No problems with nuclear synthetic assaults here. I'm into cdg's LOL Anyway when it comes to rose/oud there's nothing better than Aoud Cuir D'Arabie in the Montale's range, IMO.
    Last edited by alfarom; 13th October 2011 at 09:48 AM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Sweat shop or flagship boutique at Place Vendome?

I have nothing against Montale but it irks me that he is trying to represent himself as a prestigious high end boutique such as Bvlgari or Hermes when the material and visual aids he uses is of terrible quality. Its insulting to me.
    nice call out considering your new findings, too bad it got moved to the other forum. I'll link it below in hopes of more views...

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289...pany-disbanded

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

Redundancy and excessive amounts of product - unique to Montale? But even if it was who cares? If a house has fragrances you like buy them. If not don't.