Code of Conduct

Question Monsoon (Original blue bottle 1990's) equivalent?

In the 90's my wife (then girlfriend) had some Monsoon EDT. We both loved the smell of this fragrance. Sadly Cote stopped making it in the late 90's.

This December to my surprise I discovered that they have brought it back. Its in a different bottle but I bought some as a Christmas gift anyway. However upon opening it today (Xmas day) we were saddened to find the new perfume does not have the same fragrance (smell) as the original.

The original was in a blue bottle with a cap that resembled a 'walnut whip', whereas the new Monsoon is in a pink bottle.

While there is absolutly nothing wrong with the new Monsoon fragrance / smell (its just different) I would really like to find something that is similar to the original Monsoon smell.

After trawling the web Ive found a few posts suggesting Sliver Rain by La Prairie or Hugo Boss Pure Purple.

I'd be willing to spend quite a bit of money if I could find a similar perfume (Silver Rain is quite expensive) and I'm posting on here in the hope someone out there knows of a similar fragrance to the original Monsoon from the 90's that came in the blue bottle with the funny brown cap.

In hope
    Makum.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Monsoon (Original blue bottle 1990's) equivalent?

Hi makum & welcome to basenotes! l too owned a bottle of the original Monsoon & loved it! These reformulations can be a b***h! l would like to be able to answer your question, but l will be watching this thread with interest to see what answers you get. l would say the only fragrance that has come close (in my experience) is Ghost by Ghost. lt has a similar spicy, rosy incense feel, although it's not quite as intense. Might be worth a try. Good luck in your search, & do please tell us if you find anything!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hi Teardrop, thanks for the info.

Ive just checked Ghost on the web and there is a few different types, but the one thats just called Ghost has notes of frankincense, which I think I remember reading was in the original Monsoon. Cant be 100% sure though. Im going to try to find an old web review of Monsoon to see what was in it.

As you say, hopefully one of the experts out there will be able to help

Blog Entries

You're welcome! Yes l meant the one that's just called Ghost. l haven't tried the flankers except for Ghost Captivating, which isn't in the directory, & it's not remotely like the original Ghost.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Yes I remember the original Monsoon bottle. I never owned it but remember thinking it smelt quite like Star,Moon and Stars by Lagerfield. It is still around so you could try giving that one a sniff.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Yes I remember the original Monsoon bottle. I never owned it but remember thinking it smelt quite like Star,Moon and Stars by Lagerfield. It is still around so you could try giving that one a sniff.
    While of course l respect donna's opinion, l have to disagree. l own a bottle of Sun Moon Stars & find it much more fruity than Monsoon, & it lacks that deep incense that Monsoon had.

Thanks for the suggestion Donna, I remember Monsoon did have a incense tone to it just like Teardrop states, but Ive added it on my 'sniff list' anyway. So far I have included Silver Rain by La Paris, Estee Lauder Beyond Paradise & Hugo Boss Pure purple (all suggested on other sites), Ghost by Ghost and Sun, Moon & Stars by Lagerfield.

I've still got a hunch it had frankincense in it, but I dont know what that smells of. Could that be the 'incense' tone I wonder? If so only Ghost has this in it out of the above.

Lets see if we get any more suggestions.
    I never knew perfume was this complex (and this coming from someone who works in the drink distilling industry too haha).

I have discovered that Monsoon was sold in Europe under the name "Wild Lagoon" by Coty.

Sadly also not made any more.

Ive been researching on how to get this perfume and contacted a perfumer asking the question is it possible to recreate a discontinued perfume. here is the reply I received...

Hi *Name withheld*

The short answer is yes – we can recreate the perfume for you. The longer answer is a little more complicated in that:

a) It will not be an exact copy – it will be close, maybe very close, but never exact.

b) It may have been discontinued on safety grounds. Depending upon the safety issue we may have to ask you to acknowledge that there may be issues if you use it (e.g. skin irritancy issues) or we may have to modify the formulation (if there are carcinogenic factors involved)

c) It is going to be expensive to copy – there will be a one-charge to cover the lab time of £800 + VAT.

d) There will then be a charge per bottle that we make for you. If the formulation is an average cost, making up the perfume will be around £30 per 100ml bottle. If it contains very expensive ingredients it could cost more, and we won’t know until we have analysed the perfume. By that stage you would be committed to paying for the lab time.

e) Lead time will be about 10 weeks.

f) We would need a sample of the perfume to copy.

If this is of interest, then please let me know.

All the best

*Name withheld*

Perfumer
    Now given that a part used 30 mil bottle sells on ebay for an average of £30 to £40 I am beginning to think it might be worth my while getting this done.

One question springs to mind. The above perfumer is in the UK. I reckon a Moroccan perfumer would recreate it in 30 mins and sell me it for a lot less. I just need a Moroccan perfumer contact now!

Anyone know of any (safe) foreign cheap perfumers?

Blog Entries

makum, did you read this part? "there will be a one-charge to cover the lab time of £800 + VAT" YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!

Also; "We would need a sample of the perfume to copy".

Are you sure it isn't worth you just getting a bottle off ebay? £30-40 really isn't expensive compared to other vintage fumes or even modern designer ones.

Alternatively, the offer of a bottle split or decant still stands!

I did read that. Im thinking of maybe selling the stuff to all them lot on the facebook page. I know id have to sell a fair few bottles to recoup my outlay haha.

Hi, I have recently been on a mission to try and find it, I did see a bottle on ebay for £50.00, however, I bought a bottle of Idylle by Guerlain and what I can remember it is almost identical. I also got a FCUK gift set at Christmas and the body spray is very similar too.

I am getting(expecting) monsoon from a swap,new...when i get this i will inform you what my impression will be
    Never smelled original,though!
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Just got back from Tenerife and while we were there we managed to get a spray of Silver Rain in one of the perfume shops. When its fresh on it smells nothing like Monsoon, however once we were 5 paces out the store we got a waft of..... MONSOON!!!.

Once its settled on the skin it is just like Monsoon. The exact same smell !

Only problem is its £70 a 30mil bottle.

Blog Entries

l recently tried Silver Rain while on holiday in Greece, prompted by this thread, & l have to say l'm puzzled by the comparisons with Monsoon. l don't find them in any way similar; SR was overwhelmingly fruity on me, to the point of being cloying, & didn't give me any of the spicy incense that Monsoon does. And yes, it's not cheap, such a shame because that bottle is gorgeous!
    Still, it's all in the nose of the beholder, l guess...