Code of Conduct

Default Strenght and speed scent?

Some background:
    For some 18 months I've been experiencing diminishing returns in my training efforts. Now, whilst it is understandable that as I'm fast approaching fifty, brute strength is surely leaking away with age. No question about that. However, I did push my squat to new level just this spring and it is pull and bench that I'm struggling with. So, I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet! Rather I’m aiming to put more focus into food, rest etc. + make sure that when training I will train with all I can give and have fun whilst doing it!

Hence, I'm looking for scent that is synonym to brute force and speed. Think Spoto, Lilly, Captain Kirk, Bolton and the late great laconic Saarelainen. Flash, Thor and King Conan for those who might like comic character pointers

This is not and should not be gym scent! I stand by my opinion that scents and gym don't really mix. Rather this is scent to use during the day in those days when heavy training session awaits, looming in the horizon. This is the scent that gently but with no room for error reminds me during the day that I will face the challenge with all the power and speed that I can muster, and ultimately prevail.

Power and speed being universal the origin of the brand or house does not play role here.

As ever, I'm grateful for all pointers and opinions, the short list will be short and there can't be many samples from which I'm aiming to make final choice.

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Strenght and speed scent?

Almost Transparent Blue. It will lighten your mood and inspire you to greater heights. Gotta have some fun along the way :-)

Great job with your training, and not giving up in spite of "diminishing returns." (for my fellow Americans: many Europeans use the term "training" the way we say "working out" or "bodybuilding.").

I'd say Polo (green) might be the scent for you. Hyper-masculine, will make you feel like the manly man you are, and push yourself to new heights (or weights )
    Also highly recommend Van Cleef and Arpels Pour Homme.
    Last edited by bigsteve; 14th September 2014 at 02:49 PM.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Oajan by Parfums de Marly perhaps
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

For some reason Himalaya comes to mind,
    My frag list top ten (which changes pretty regular!)
    1- Creed Royal Oud
    2- Armani Prive Oud Royal
    3- Acqua di Parma Oud concentree
    4- Bvlgari Man in Black
    5- Amouage Fate Man
    6- Nasomatto Duro
    7- Jean Paul DuPont Oud d'or
    8- Ormonde Jayne Nawab of Oudh
    9- Geurlain HOMME IDEAL
    10- Shay&blue Oud Alif

(Yes, I'm an Oud addict!)

Sung Homme comes to mind.
    Ultra potent 80s powerhouse, but with some citrusy freshness in it.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Brut

Some ideas:
    Kouros, even in its reformulated state, recalls locker room and men who are washing after their workout.
    Bandit, and s&m leather, has an invigorating green blast together with dark black leather
    Rien is the ultimate butch perfume, an animalic leather. However, this one is so powerful (and the new Intense version reportedly even more so) that if you put it in the morning, it'll still be there when you go to the gym.

cacio

+1 to Polo Green and VC&A Pour Homme.

Aventus

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Some ideas:
    Kouros, even in its reformulated state, recalls locker room and men who are washing after their workout.
    Bandit, and s&m leather, has an invigorating green blast together with dark black leather
    Rien is the ultimate butch perfume, an animalic leather. However, this one is so powerful (and the new Intense version reportedly even more so) that if you put it in the morning, it'll still be there when you go to the gym.

cacio
    +1 kouros ( current version), 1 spray. I wore it on a hike yesterday and it was heavenly.

Crown spiced limes
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Azzaro Pour Homme is what you're looking for.

For some reason, thinking about Loewe para Hombre, Gucci Nobile.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Aventus
    Yes, it's not nicknamed "mighty" Aventus for nothing!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

+1 Kouros by YSL
    Lapidus Pour Homme
    A*Men by Mugler
    Yatagan by Caron
    Mechant Loup by L'Artisan
    Eau des Iles by MPG
    Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens

Thank you everyone for your valuable feedback!
    Based on recommendations made and some personal guesswork I've just ordered a set of samples.
    Short list was somewhat longer than expected, mainly due to the fact that I managed to score all from same source.

So, I'll be testing these in the coming weeks once my package arrives:
    Caron Yatagan
    Van Cleef Pour Homme
    Parfums de Marly Arabian Breed Oujan
    Creed Aventus
    Mazzolari Lui
    Sentifique Testosterone
    MDCI Invasion Barbare

Some initial comments:
    Aventus: Would be surprised if this really is what I meant. However, it is recommended for everything and by everyone it seems, so it should be tried out

Invasion Barbare: Not expecting bulls eye here, but for this use case a scent with this name just has to be included

Oujan: The fact that it is labeled for both males and females makes me somewhat suspicious keeping in mind what it is that I'm looking for. On the other hand Hednic rarely seems to miss the mark so click click goes the mouse..

As always I'll let you know what the end result will be

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

Dior- Leather Oud

Songe d'un Boise d'Ete - Some say it is a bit of a gentrified Leather Oud.

I was going to suggest TdH Parfum, as I find the woods and the crystalline citrus to be very energising, but it doesn't quite seem to match with some of your comments.
    Just say no to oniomania.

+1 to Polo Green and VC&A Pour Homme.

and I would add Santos Concentree by Cartier

Sartorial - a classy upscale version of Brut

TF Oud Wood

Esencia Loewe

Creed Spice and Wood

Basically whatever gets you in the mood. I lift as well and commend you on your goals!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Plus

Great choice with Van Cleef and Arpels PH. I love to sweat in that..

Default Strenght and speed scent?

Interim report time I guess. Since I did not really make a shortlist, but rather a longlist of candinates I have to prune the list somehow.

For better or worse, I decided to randomly match pairs by using them once or twice in days heavy training is in cards.

1st pair turned out to be Testosterone and Oujan.

Oujan is a great scent. There is something 1 Million like in the opening but in about 45 min. the spices and honey take over. A beaty that makes me think of Christmas, juleglögs in the stable with horses and hounds aplenty, steak and onions and Kara ben Nemsi.
    Sadly this is not for steeling oneself for back breaking effort, Mickey D and Converses and smile thru pain.

Testosterone on the otherhand is clearly in the ballpark. Masculine, low and linear. A bit like Detroit Diesel at idle. It sits there, reminds you of the task ahead but does not burst to the front when actually lifting - very good. It does give some backbone but does make me want to charge ahead and tear down the gym.

Anyway, out of these two Testosterone is clear winner and has earned a spot in the next round

-Mark

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mark_Trail; 27th September 2014 at 03:37 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

^
    Can't get this opened in edit-mode for some reason.
    Anyway, my sentence about Testosterone should say does NOT make me want to charge ahead and tear up the gym

-Mark

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

So, my lonely dialog continues.. Round two was Yatagan and VC&A Pour Homme.

Yatagan is about power. Dirty leahter, musk, oriental spices. Staying power aplenty but does not burst forward when training. The issue here is that to me Yatagan's power is political/business power not physical strength and speed. This is PM Urquhart, Blake Carrington and JR Ewing, not King Conan or Flash. I should get a bottle of this but use it for certain type of work related situations, not for preparing for gym.

VC&A Pour Homme is interesting. My sample sprayer is somewhat sticky making smooth applying hard. In any case this loses badly for ice that I normally use after shower, not so good. Scent itself is amazingly clean lavendar and soap. Unfortunately my daughters - without prompting- noted soon after my arrival that the room smells of our local grocery shop. This particular shop is spitting clean and shiny, maybe there just is too much soap in here. So I guess, this will not become a permanent number.

In summary out of this pair I'm dropping both, Yatagan will enter the to buy list but for different use and Pour Homme will stay in sample shelf for now

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

Round three: Invasion Barbare and Lui

IB is a beaty that really has misleading name. More than barbarians this nice masculine lavender and vanilla driven scent takes my mind to gentleman farmers and philosofers. Family afternoons and strolls. This should be a keeper but not for moving inhuman amounts of weight, but rather for calm, controlled existence.

Lui, whilst being more of a horse trader, hands-on animal farmer scent speaks of pure power. Opening is manure, burned rubber and something piercing. Drydown turns this into more gentle maybe even likable beast. So this hits the ballpark and will make 2nd round. My main question here is, even if this feels like it could increase my bar speed, do I like this? Also this seems like a scent where the amount has to be just right or you end up turning neighbourhood into a hazard zone and either it vanishes from skin or causes major fatique quite fast.

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

Strength? Speed? Dior Fahrenheit is waiting for you! Preferably vintage but the modern version is not bad.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the update. I'll look forward to hearing more..

Montale Dark Aoud

This scent puts me in a 'don't mess with me' state of mind and I find that I can lift more when I am on the pissed-off side of the fence

Cheers