Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Lyric or Memoir !? For young professional, to wear at work....

I was given a bottle of Amouage Lyric Man by my grlfnd for xmass.
    I have tried it on in the store and loved it. However this fragrance seems to disappear on me after only a couple of hours.

On the other hand Amouage Memoir Man, which I have also tried on, seems to last over 12 hours.

I am thinking to take the Lyric back to the shop and get a bottle of Memoir Man instead. I like this scent too
    and feel that perhaps it is more appropriate for a work environment.

What do you think. Am I giving up a great fragrance for a not so great one !!???????

I am new to the word of fragrances.
    For the last two years I have been only wearing fragrances from Etat libre d'orange...

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Last edited by Riccar; 29th December 2010 at 02:15 PM.

Default Re: Amouage Lyric or Memoir !? For young professional, to wear at work....

I like Lyric better honestly, but if i had to choose between these two i would wear Memoir at work.

Stefano

Default Re: Amouage Lyric or Memoir !? For young professional, to wear at work....

I find it odd that you're getting around 2 hrs from Lyric......has your girlfriend noticed this as well ? Anyways, for office I'd pass up on both and use either Reflection or Jubilation XXV.

Really it boils down on which you prefer and perceived value for money .... If you love the Lyric but have to reapply after a few hours then do that but obviously the bottle wont last as long . Surely that would be better than the Memoir which you dont love as much even if it does last longer on your skin ????

Two differend types of fragrance. For me it´s Memoir Man by far. I didn´t like Lyric at all. Like you I didn´t think it lasted and it smelled too girly for me.

I would keep the bottle of Lyric even if I hated it. A GF like yours is hard to find and with this lady, your enjoyable future in the world of fragrance is secure....i.e., if the bottle of Lyric is kept, that measure of respect will turn into Memoir, Jube XXV, Reflection, Opus IV, Epic, etc. etc. etc.

Yeah....I'd keep the Lyric. Even if she used my money to pay for it.

Lucky you!

Cheers,
    Daryl J.
    Last edited by Daryl J.; 27th December 2010 at 04:38 PM.

If you really like Lyric, then don't change it. If longevity is the problem, then spray again! =)

Just get yourself another bottle of memoir. a travel size or 50ml perhaps or even a tester bottle.

Well, your girlfriend is certainly starting you off with top-tier fragrances!
    About office wear: Unless you're in top management and/or own the company, I think I might shy away from Amouage scents at the office. 1) because they're too good, and 2) they make strong statements, and 3) they tend to be very, very strong, which not everbody may appreciate. Every work environment is different though, so if it works for you, go for it!
    Of the two you suggest, Memoir Man is for me the clear choice; much more masculine. I try not to think in clear masculine/feminine terms, but in this case the difference just shouts itself out. But better than either is Jubilation XXV -- one of the best scents ever, in my humble opinion.
    Take care,
    Michael

Another one to consider would be Epic Man. Unbeatable in terms of longevity and I have come around that it's suitable for office wear if used sparingly. No question about gender orientation either. This one is probably the most masculine Amouage to this date.

Memoir smells more professional. Lyric is too romantic and uplifting for work.

But then again, who cares. =)
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post

This.

Memoir is a little herbal, rooty, woody. Feels a little balmy too. Great for work, even in hot weather, it can work amazing. I think I really detect the basil, it seems to give the overall scent s greenish uplift...

Lyric is just a damn good Rose for any occasion.

Buy both if you can, they are like an insurance policy.

Both are so great. I myseft think Lyric is more special and unique, while Memoir is more enjoyable and manly. If you want an everyday scent to wear at work, you should pick Memoir .

Quote Originally Posted by MFJ View Post
    This.

Memoir is a little herbal, rooty, woody. Feels a little balmy too. Great for work, even in hot weather, it can work amazing. I think I really detect the basil, it seems to give the overall scent s greenish uplift...

Lyric is just a damn good Rose for any occasion.

Buy both if you can, they are like an insurance policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    Both are so great. I myseft think Lyric is more special and unique, while Memoir is more enjoyable and manly. If you want an everyday scent to wear at work, you should pick Memoir .
    Cant go wrong with these guys advice.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

A bit off topic, but does Memoir man have some similarities with L`Artisan Fou d`Absinthe??
    -Lyric is great stuff, and the compliments will hit you like thunder! Especially from the girls ;-)

Thumbs up Re: Amouage Lyric or Memoir !? For young professional, to wear at work....

Folks thanks very, very much for all the replies ! I am keeping the Lyric. And, picking up an extra bottle of Memoir Man.
    Also thanks to the passion of the people in this forum, I am rapidly becoming a fragrance enthusiast.

Daryl J., great insight about my lady and the situation. Funny you picked on it ...

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    A bit off topic, but does Memoir man have some similarities with L`Artisan Fou d`Absinthe??
    -Lyric is great stuff, and the compliments will hit you like thunder! Especially from the girls ;-)
    I have FdA and Memoir Man. Both are greenish, but I do not find anything strikingly similar between them. Memoir Man is a whole lot more satisfying than the FdA.

IMO, the best Amouage for the office is Dia Man.

Dia is very very good isn't it and in an office setting superb. It never rises to be too much, altogether too often an 8 a.m. office problem.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    IMO, the best Amouage for the office is Dia Man.
    Glorious ain't it? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
    I would keep the bottle of Lyric even if I hated it. A GF like yours is hard to find and with this lady, your enjoyable future in the world of fragrance is secure....i.e., if the bottle of Lyric is kept, that measure of respect will turn into Memoir, Jube XXV, Reflection, Opus IV, Epic, etc. etc. etc.

Yeah....I'd keep the Lyric. Even if she used my money to pay for it.

Lucky you!

Cheers,
    Daryl J.
    Folks, thanks very, very much for all the replies ! I am keeping the Lyric. And, picking up an extra bottle of Memoir Man.
    Also thanks to the passion of the people in this forum, I am rapidly becoming a fragrance enthusiast.

Daryl J., great insight about my lady and the situation. Funny you picked up on it ... Cheers

BTW: Is it on purpose that Amouage has misspelled their latest creation? Memory in French is actually spelled mémoire and not memoir...

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    BTW: Is it on purpose that Amouage has misspelled their latest creation? Memory in French is actually spelled mémoire and not memoir...
    I think that memoir is an english word which derives from the french term ´memoire`or plural ´memoires´.

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post

Lyric's right on the edge of wearable to me...a bit too rosey. I certainly wouldn't see it as good work scent. If you like it and can rock it, great for dating and going out. But not a good work scent imo.

Daryl J. is right- tread carefully if a woman has given you such a pricey and personal gift. If she loves it on you- wear it around her a lot.

I love and own both, however, Lyric is about pure pleasure, the Rose, Angelica, and lime accords are very unusual for a men's frag, almost entering the women's realm. very exotic, perhaps too much for office wear, longevity is awesome on me, try using a milder soap, and unscented body lotion before applying. Memoir is more modern, a streamline Oriental, not something I would expect from Amouage, you could wear this to the office only during winter months, not summer or spring, the mint, absinthe, basil, pine accords are gorgeous, then the scent begins to smolder and get smokier, then the frankinsence kicks in, mellowing the whole thing out. you might want to also try Epic, not my favorite, but I think this one would be best for the office. I love Amouage, but to me these are scents that are not made for everyday wear, it's kind of a waste.

Memoir Man by far. I'm starting to find it satisfying and I'd like to think you could wear it year around. No?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I own and love both - I don't even know which I'd rank above the other (they are competing for spot #2, just behind Amouage Reflection in #1). I think Lyric is in some ways a more beautiful scent - sheer and unapologetic beauty for beauty's sake - while Memoir is more conceptually artistic and satisfying in an intellectual manner (although it smells darn good, too!). I'd say Memoir is more suitable for the office. I also agree with the Dia suggestion. I'm not the biggest fan of Dia but I do think its character and projection make it suitable for the office. My most frequently worn Amouage is Reflection Man, and, applied lightly (1 spray, misted), it works great in an office setting.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

how many sprays of Lyric do you use and the longevity you guys get? And yes, Lyric is more for a summer night/romantic occasion for me than for work.

to me its a skin scent but given this is not an Epic or Jubilation which is loud and spicy, it seems pretty transparent. I go with around 6, sometimes 8. Is it too much?

Other references GIT I use 4, Musc Ravageur 2-3, Gucci Pour Homme II 4 sprays.

Sorry, wrong thread.

I get very good longevity from Lyric, if its only lasting 2 hours on you, you must be applying it too close to your nose and are getting fatigued. I think Lyric is pretty versatile and I'd wear it anywhere, but depending on the work situation I might want something a little more "formal" for work.