Code of Conduct

Default Is there such a thing as an incense chypre?

I love incense and I've developed a real fondness for chypres recently. So I've been wondering if there is such a thing as an incense chypre? Either now or in the past. (I'm sad enough to spend hours scouring EvilBay for a discontinued/vintage frag that I've never heard of before.)

Illuminate me, oh wise ones!
    x
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Default Re: Is there such a thing as an incense chypre?

Being a little new, wait for other responses, but i find my christmas present to fit the category : Infusion d'homme by Prada. Less flowery than d'Iris, yet feminine. There is this greenness.. and the incense. A bit on the sweet side just a bit. The development is short, some call it "rounded", projection good, no powerhouse, and lasting for most of the day.
    Vivre d’erreurs et de parfums.

Pour comprendre le bonheur, il faut le voir comme étant une récompense et jamais un but. (Antoine de St Exupéry).

I get quite a bit of an incense note with Ivoire de Balmain,even the current formulation.Vintage Halston may be worth tracking down,I seem to remember it being having more depth and sort of an "herbal incense" feel to it.It does still have its lavender,but the richness is gone;it's more herbal tea on me now.Still nice in it's current form but I could only recommend vintage for an incense-y feel.Can't wait to see what other suggestions you get on this one!
    The nose wants what it wants!

If there isn't such a category, there ought to be!

A few that come to my mind that might meet these criteria:

Paloma Picasso

Cabaret by Parfums Gres

Nina Ricci Deci Dela

Hey Wordbird,

The closest I can think of (and highly recommend!) is an aromatic chypre with an a-maaaaaa-zing incense accord.
    Preludio d'Oriente by Cale Fragranze d'Autore I think is EXACTLY what you have in mind!
    Click on the link to read my review from April.

Guerlain Djedi.

Rumba by Balenciaga strikes me as a fruity chypre with a touch of incense.

Blog Entries

The first things to come to mind for me were Molinard Pour Homme I, which is a chypre topped with myrrh, though it's fairly masculine. Also, what about Amouage? A lot of their early ones are basically classic-smelling floral chypres that incorporate frankincense.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Another vote for Rumba

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Hey Wordbird,

The closest I can think of (and highly recommend!) is an aromatic chypre with an a-maaaaaa-zing incense accord.
    Preludio d'Oriente by Cale Fragranze d'Autore I think is EXACTLY what you have in mind!
    Sounds good.

Oooh, thanks Dimi, I will be tracking a sample of THAT down!
    And thanks for the rest of the suggestions. I already own Ivoire and Cabaret, so I will get those babies out and enjoy them all over again. Plus I'll check those Amouage samples I have to see what I think. Until now I've been scared to dive into the Amouages in case I fall in love, but maybe it's time.
    And I'll track down Rumba and give that a try.

You know what? I think I might just go crazy and try layering incense over oakmoss. What the heck?
    Last edited by Wordbird; 28th December 2010 at 10:04 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I tested Amouage Memoir (woman) recently, and I thought--oriental chypre (not sure there is such a category)--but your phrase "incense chypre" would be a better description. It is gorgeous even though I don't like incense much.

Jubilation 25, although the incense isn't the main player.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Fendi by Fendi - imo, a more affordable version of Jubilation 25

Basenotes Institution

Jubilation 25, for sure! The feminine, not the XXV one. Probably not as much incense as you would like (it's not incense prominent), but it definitely could be classified as an incense chypre. Good stuff.

Basenotes Institution

I'm sure Gris Clair is not a chypre but the incense , lavender combo with musk is amazing to me . Something to try for the aromatic plus incense vibe.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Now not sure if incense but def oriental in feel Caron Alpona
    DONNA

I think Lyric Woman is pretty close... the extrait more than the EdP. Since you are in Switzerland and benefit hugely (as a buyer) from your strong currency, go online shopping in the UK ;-)

+1 Jubilation 25
    Also Maison Martin Margeila's Untitled. I have a few samples and I tried this yesterday and all I got was sweet galbanum, white smoke and moss. Beautiful.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Perles de Lalique - incense rose chypre
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

The old Odalisque by PDN was THE best incense chypre followed by Givenchy III edp. Unfortunately, Givenchy III is no longer in production, and Odalisque has changed so much that it is not recognizable. Good luck with your search. Incense & oakmoss are now on the "hit list", so it won't be easy.

Basenotes Institution

I forgot .........

+1 for Memoir Woman by Amouage . Described as a chypre and it's incensey.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Lancome's Magie Noir
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Blog Entries

I do think it is Djedi. (Also, I am starting to think that The Party in Manhattan is the closest thing to Djedi, but without the incense.)
    Another great scent, but it is mainly incense, is Messe di Minuit. It goes more towards vanilla, though.

Paco Rabanne La Nuit?

And even Soir de Lune -- if you can fight your way through around 8 hours of rose first

PS I find my ancient Ungaro Diva has an incense touch about it -- though it could be because it has 'turned', somewhat. Not unpleasant, though!
    Last edited by soirdelune; 10th January 2011 at 10:04 PM.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Nuit de Noel has a hint of church incense and I agree with Paloma Picasso, love both these scents.

Coincidentally, I am wearing Amouage Jubilation 25 today and that might make you happy indeed...

Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme

comme des garcons eau de parfum

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Hey Wordbird,

Thanks, Dimi, for giving me one more reason to freeze my credit card in a block of ice to prevent spending!

Wordbird, I'm right with you on loving the idea of incense chypre (even if it doesn't officially exist!). Another vote for Amouage Memoir Woman, though like Catnip_too I find it more oriental than incensey _per se_... But heartbreakingly gorgeous. And if you want more chypre than incense, Givenchy III is a fantastic choice. I also think Querelle by Parfumerie General might fit the bill, and Liz Zorn's Underworld. Also Tom Ford's Japon Noir. Finally, I'm all for layering your favorite CdG Incense Series selection with Liz Zorn's Oakmoss, or even JL Scherrer or Quarry's fave Nanadebary Green... Please keep us posted if you find something that makes you swoon!
    Last edited by ComDiva; 13th January 2011 at 08:50 PM.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Onda by Vero Kern. I like the parfum extrait version best. Onda is closely related to Djedi.

Sonoma Scent Studio Winter Woods is smokey and has oakmoss, not technically a chypre though.

Miss Balmain - lots of incense and a leathery chypre, of course.

Rumba - my all time fave. A very complex fragrance

Ysatis - prominant sandalwood note.

White diamonds - similar to Ysatis, but too sweet and rosy for me.

Aliage - beautifull myrrh, very fresh but hard to come by. I'm not even sure it's still made

Private Collection - Estee Lauder uses quality incense and coupled with the fresh aldehides and hesperidic notes. Very fresh and clean chypre

I often mix chypres with cold soapy and green aldehidic frags in summer to get the best of both worlds - powder and longevity from chypres and incense and fresh lemony feel from aldehides. I layer:

Sublime (Patou) + Miss Dior

First + Trussardi Donna

White linnen + Mitsouko

If you enjoy classic woody-floral chypres with a frankincense note, you may wish to try:

Shiseido Zen (original in black bottle)
    Estee Super Cologne (vintage; drydown is gorgeous)
    Ivoire (again, gorgeous woods + frankincense drydown)
    Magie Noir
    Babe by Faberge