Code of Conduct

Default Am I wrong to consider selling LDDM?

As you know, I dithered over choosing a Chanel Exclusif and had liked both Coromandel and Sycomore. Got the Coromandel, 200ml size thank you, and wore Tauer's L'Air du Desert Morocain the other day. I noticed that it was much louder in projection and actually wore long like Coromandel, probably smelling louder than the Coromandel all throughout the work day. However, it still smells smokey and cedary and not as much of that aridness I used to experience when I first got it. Most people though liked the Sycomore when they smelled me and I dont have a vetiver fragrance (I have AdParma Colonia and GIT other than these two).

So, a crazy thought came into my head, sell my almost 90% bottle of LDDM to fund the Sycomore. Should I talk myself into it or out of it? As far as a balance in what I have, I am thinking Coromandel is my fall/winter into spring, and Colonia is spring into early fall and GIT is year round. Tauer would be a fall into late winter and Sycomore could be year round?

Or is it just the thought of having something 'new' in my cabinet what is so appealing that I would sell something just to have the newness factor? I dont regret selling my Piper Nigrum, but I did buy it, sell it, bought it, sold it, and bought and sold it a third time over a space of three to four years I am guessing. In the long run, it was too pungent, too loud at first.

Default Re: Am I wrong to consider selling LDDM?

Hahaha! You may have a buyer. PM me.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Gents and readers, I think it's important for members trying to unload scents and members asking to buy scents to use the marketplace forums. That's where the site has expressly set up a place for such exchanges.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

+"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

I do that sort of thing (sell to buy ones I like) but - no offense - you seem like you could be a LOT more indecisive. Buiying and selling the same fragrance multiple times like you said you had.

Why not decant 10-20ml, sell the LDDM at 70% (some people may even prefer the lower price to acquire) and then use the proceeds to buy the 75mL Sycomore? That way you will have both at your disposal, even if only an occassional wear (sounds like that might be the case anyways, even if you kept it)

Personally I liked LDDM, but in no way loved it. Based on this and a somewhat limited wearing opportunity, I wouldn't think twice about unloading it.

I'd get the Sycamore if you have the chance.

I'd keep LDDM. And buy the 75ml of Sycomore. But if you sell LDDM, you might also have another buyer. hahahaha. But I am not in the US.

You seem like someone who should focus on buying decants, and not full bottles.

No, you should get rid of it. In this year's BN March Madness LDDM came on strong at the end in a very odd and suspicious "internet hype" manner that eventually turned into a gushy plea for votes. Still grossed out that someone tried to play the basenoters so obviously. Ditch it now.

You are wrong in the sense of letting go a masterpiece. You are right in the sense of letting someone else enjoy that juice.

Keep a 10 or 15 ml. decant of LADDM for yourself and sell the rest of the bottle. Use the money to go towards Sycomore or another vetiver scent that plays a similar game for a lower price. Such as the vetiver from Goutal, Givenchy, Tom Ford, or Frederic Malle (Bois d' Orage) etc.

I never thought about keeping a decant, sure I could do that and were it sporadically. Yes, that makes sense, but then again, I go back and forth between wanting to simply my selection or choices, but then again, having variety. I hate to see things just sit, and then the dichotomous side of me says, get the value size (like Coromandel, the 200ml) and get a lower price per ml for it and stock up. I have done the bought and sold routine just as well with Millisime Imperial.

Maybe my nose has changed. It seems that yes, the GIT from 5 years ago was different than what I have now, and the same with Imperial (I dont get as much melon in the newer stuff and thus, I dont like it as much). It seems to be more pronounced when I use something like Piper Nigrum only in cold weather - store it away in March, pull it back out in October and wow, this does not seem the same as when I wore it last fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Keep a 10 or 15 ml. decant of LADDM for yourself and sell the rest of the bottle. Use the money to go towards Sycomore or another vetiver scent that plays a similar game for a lower price. Such as the vetiver from Goutal, Givenchy, Tom Ford, or Frederic Malle (Bois d' Orage) etc.
    I have had trouble liking Vetiver. Comme des Garcons was nice, no staying power. Vetiver Extraordinaire, too much chocolate. Creeds Original Vetiver- well, just soap. Guerlain's was pungent earth on me (when I got gifted a bottle by some former basenoter who got banned years ago) and Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford, well it lasted but was not appealing. Wife did like Sycomore.

It's hard to know what to advise here. I love Piper Nigrum and have never understood all the love for LDDM. but your buy-sell-re-buy-re-sell history makes me agree that you should do more sampling and less FB buying. As far as vetivers, get some samples of the Givenchy, Lorenzo Villoresi's, Encre Noir, Querelle, and a few others and get a firmer sense of what you like.

What are you going to do, Finsfan?
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I'm interested, too.

I lived with Acqua di Parma Colonia, GIT & Crabtree & Evelyn Santal Mysore for about 10 years so I think I can see where you're coming from here. If you don't wear LADDM then let it go, I guess, altho I think this one, in the funky old bottle, is quite a nice 'collector's item' if you can wait a bit before committing to something else

Between it and the Chanel exclusifs, LDDM is the superior scent, imo. I say keep it.

LDDM is a bit hard to wear
    I also suggest keeping a 20ml decant and selling the rest
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Dust, I have no idea. Wife likes how it smells while in the bottle - the old bottle by the way. She rarely says that about any of my colognes or samples, even Sycomore. Yet when I get home at the end of the day, she likes how Sycomore smells and is only so-so about LDDM.

Hasupk, I can see where one can say that LDDM is difficult to wear. I do have a half bottle of the LDDM and then the full back up so I guess I could keep the LDDM and wear it occassionally, which given how often I do that, means it would last this year and then all of next year. Then again, if I want to envelope myself with a scent on the drive to work each morning, that is the scent I would choose. At times, there is a certain semblance of what I imagine desert air would smell like, with a sort of Turkish bazaar vibe going. Other times, I think this is just cedar.

Wore it today, I am keeping my half full bottle and getting Sycomore

Some vetivers on me are soapy (Creed Original) and some harsh (Guerlain Vetiver, the Lalique one) and some are so chocolate (Vetiver Extraordinarre). CDG Vettiveru is nice but watery and not long lasting. Wife liked the Sycomore and so did I. Nice price point, 75ml for $110, so not bad. Open to other suggestions
    Last edited by finsfan; 31st December 2010 at 03:41 PM.

Sold it and ordered 100 ML of Sycomore. Tempted to order the 200ml but I go overboard.

Does it come in 100ml bottle? From what I know it's 200ml and now 75ml??

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    You are wrong in the sense of letting go a masterpiece. You are right in the sense of letting someone else enjoy that juice.
    Absolutely. I would not have sold it.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Dependent

If I didn't rotate my incense and ambers so regularly, I'd convince you to sell it to me. Mine's in that gawdy older DIY-looking 100ml bottle (same as the BN directory image I think), and I sure would prefer that nice blue bottle (I'm assuming yours is).

So I guess my point would be: You don't have to sell it. Skip a couple of suppers and you'll afford the Chanel, which wouldn't be going anywhere soon. It's exclusive, not limited edition. Hehe...

I'll bet you've repurchased within 2 years.

LDDM is good, but a Chanel Exclusif is probably better

Sycomore is a good choice as it is a fine fragrance that you can wear year-round and just might be a HG for vetiver.