Code of Conduct

Default Hanae Mori HM - a gourmand hater's gourmand

Just picked up a bottle of the eau de parfum at a massive discount ($18 Canadian for 30 ml), after smelling it in Sephora last week and rather liking it in spite of its reputation as one of the first gourmand fragrances for men. Gourmands generally do nothing for me, and there are many I actively loathe. But what makes HM more than just a gourmand is its tart mossiness, soft base woods, and restrained sweetness. The EDP is downright chypre-like in its first few minutes, as long as your definition of a chypre is rather broad. But the moss is there (honest!), and it's lovely. There is a chocolate note, but it's so well-blended with the citrus, florals, woods, vanilla, and incense that it doesn't particularly stand out unless you're looking for it.

I was pleasantly surprised by my sniff of the eau de toilette (which skips much of the lemon/lavender/moss opening and gets to the chocolate faster than the EDP), but stumbling upon the eau de parfum was my best fragrance discovery of 2010. I can see wearing HM just about anywhere, and in any season - it's low-maintenance and well-mannered, but without being boring or generic. (The closest scent I can compare it to is Dior Homme, which is actually drier and more floral. HM truly does smell unique, especially in the realm of designer scents.) If you haven't smelled it yet due to its gourmand reputation, I would heartily recommend a test sniff. It's a cut above the rest.

Default Re: Hanae Mori HM - a gourmand hater's gourmand

Happy for you that you liked it. I bought the EDP blind and hated it. it was a bit too feminine for me and i didn't like the combo citrus-choco. Enjoy your fragrance

+1 for Hanae Mori HM. Sadly I have the EDT version but I have tested the EDP, which I prefer because of the stronger citrus/lavender note in the opening. Beautiful fragrance IMO.

I purchased the edt a few years back because a SA told me itll last long (i didnt know better and was looking for something because nothing lasted on me) and i loved it! I wanna try the edp, im sure id like it too

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    Just picked up a bottle of the eau de parfum at a massive discount ($18 Canadian for 30 ml), after smelling it in Sephora last week and rather liking it in spite of its reputation as one of the first gourmand fragrances for men. Gourmands generally do nothing for me, and there are many I actively loathe. But what makes HM more than just a gourmand is its tart mossiness, soft base woods, and restrained sweetness. The EDP is downright chypre-like in its first few minutes, as long as your definition of a chypre is rather broad. But the moss is there (honest!), and it's lovely. There is a chocolate note, but it's so well-blended with the citrus, florals, woods, vanilla, and incense that it doesn't particularly stand out unless you're looking for it.

I was pleasantly surprised by my sniff of the eau de toilette (which skips much of the lemon/lavender/moss opening and gets to the chocolate faster than the EDP), but stumbling upon the eau de parfum was my best fragrance discovery of 2010. I can see wearing HM just about anywhere, and in any season - it's low-maintenance and well-mannered, but without being boring or generic. (The closest scent I can compare it to is Dior Homme, which is actually drier and more floral. HM truly does smell unique, especially in the realm of designer scents.) If you haven't smelled it yet due to its gourmand reputation, I would heartily recommend a test sniff. It's a cut above the rest.
    I agree with you 100%. It is the most refined gentlemens gourmand IMO. I guess Canucks have very good taste.

Cheers Rex
    Remember when life gives you lemons make lemonade, also find someone whose life gave them vodka. Have a party!

Have both versions but prefer the EDP for its longevity on my skin.

I just bought the EDT last week at Ross (1.7 oz - 19.99) I get a sweet candy like yet somehow zesty at the same time - mostly lemon opening (lots of fresh greens too). Lasts a good while before it turns into a very very subtle creamy chocolaty dry down that sits very close to my skin. Unisex fragrance from beginning to end imo.

Blog Entries

I bought it for the rose note...or thats atleast what made me make the decision to buy it. I wear it more than most of my fragrances and it's simply nice. I just wish the rose note was more prominent

When I first smelled this in stores, I smelled something in it that reminded me exactly of Angel for women. I think it may have been patchouli but I'm still not sure. Certainly a unique fragrance, but sadly it has fallen out of my rotation. This is why I am currently selling it.

This struck me as a very pleasant scent, but too feminine for my personal tastes.

i like it too

It smells too much like a middle age woman's perfume for me. I typically enjoy super masculine scents.

I find the EDT too sweet for my nose. I suppose the EDP is even sweeter?

I find the sweetness of the EDT and EDP to be about equal, and neither is too sweet for me (and I'm someone who complains about almost all modern men's fragrances being too sweet). But if I had to choose, I'd say the EDT, with its shorter lemon/lavender accord and less pronounced woods and moss, may be considered slightly sweeter by default.

I also find it beautiful. The EDP sure is strong.

Hated it, it smelled so chemically bad.

I think it's one of the best scents ever. Extremely refined.

Quote Originally Posted by Force of One View Post
    This struck me as a very pleasant scent, but too feminine for my personal tastes.
    this

although the dry down is very nice