Code of Conduct

Default Gucci Envy: Am I the only guy...

...who wants to wear this? Not the men's version, but Envy for Women? My wife has a bottle, and every time I catch a whiff on her or from the nozzle (which I sniff quite regularly), I think, damn! This would smell great on me! I love green frags, and this one is just so big and cheery. You'd have to have the upbeat attitude to pull it off, which means there are only certain days I could get away with it, as I can be quite laconic and reserved at times. That said, I think this is just a fantastic frag, and very reasonably priced. The only thing stopping me is that it is one of my wife's favorites; she wears it often and has a small wardrobe, so it's something of a signature. I don't want to intrude on her turf. Any of you guys wear this?

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Banned

Default Re: Gucci Envy: Am I the only guy...

It might not smell the same on you as it does her. Her pheromones will have a different effect on the smell as yours would.

I don't wear Envy, but I'm chiming in regarding your comment about intruding on your wife's turf. Believe me, I can sympathize. My wife is a huge perfume nut too, and there are certain perfumes that she regards as HERS. These are scents that seem to define her in both her eyes and mine. Those are off limits for me! I think she'd feel like I was interfering on her enjoyment of those perfumes if I started wearing them. I can't blame her. They make her feel very feminine, and she'd feel weird if I started wearing some of them. Just like if she started wearing Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme or Quorum.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

My wife used to wear this at one time and liked it. I personally would never wear it.

Interesting and thought provoking. I love Envy for men but I personally wouldn't wear the feminine juice. Though I like to keep an open mind about these things. If there is a fragrance that works for you, be it male or female, I say go for it. There are no boundaries to this.
    La vita Ŕ breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought this for a girlfriend when it was new. It was way before BN and I really loved it. This thread makes me want to retry it and if memory serves me right I┤d wear it in a heartbeat!
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

I like Envy too - though i wouldn't call it cheery (Luca Turin correctly calls it "repressed anger").

In general, I think green florals are perfect for men too, from Christalle, Chanel no. 19, to Temps d'une fete, Futur, and so on.

cacio

i love this fragrance and i think a man can definitely wear this . yes..repressed anger is definitely a good way to described this. i say wear it and be happy

I've got to check it out. It sounds fantastic from this thread alone.

Otherwise, T, see if you can check out Balmain's Vent Vert, a fantastic bold super green thing which your description of Envy reminded me of. I gave my bottle of it away to a female cousin. Now I think I have to get another.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

L.T. also describes wearing No. 19 as "knowing what it means to be soulless." T.S. describes Cristalle as having a "bitchy, slant-eyed effect". So, take all that for what it's worth... I don't have an issue with a man wearing pretty much anything, but I think you should ask your wife if she would mind. Sisley's Eau de Campagne might be worth a sniff as well.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Nope. You're not alone. I had those exact same thoughts when I tried it off the shelf ~2 years ago. imho Envy > Envy for Men.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I like Envy too - though i wouldn't call it cheery (Luca Turin correctly calls it "repressed anger").
    Repressed anger? Hey, that's me! I may try wearing it one of these days, maybe just for the evening to get a feel for how it does on my skin.

Glad to hear I'm not alone in having this urge, and yeah, the thing stopping me is not the feminine label, just my wife's love for it. I'll ask her what she thinks, but she tends to not be so open-minded about scents and gender. We're working on that... ;-)

DustB, I will definitely sample Vent Vert, too. I appreciate the recommendation.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Since we're quoting, here's LT's full sentence on Envy: "However, it [that is, panel testing] did constrain the woman inside Envy to be at once seraphic and suburban, complete with the sort of suppressed anger that such a creature would feel at being reincarnated as a florist in Eastern New Jersey". To be clear, LT gives 5 star (the max) to Envy, ie a "masterpiece" grade. Funny prose aside, I agree with him that green notes often give a chilly, angry character to a perfume.

Talking about LT, LT claims that Vent Vert, once a masterpiece, has been defaced beyond recognition. Here are the first and last sentences of his review: "I am sorry to report that Vent Vert is dead. [...] Worst still, the underlying structure [of the current version] is now a trashy green chypre in the loathsome Eau du Soir mold." I haven't smelled either version, but I assume one should then avoid blind purchases.

cacio

Wear it! I have a few green scents: Envy, Diorella, Cristalle, No. 19, and Eau de Campagne - and so far Envy has come out in the lead for me.

I do wear one of my wife's signature frags, but I don't advertise the fact and I keep my own bottle. She's never seemed to notice.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

I worn it a few days ago and really can┤t stand the green-flowery and spicy vibe , It was enough cloying and just to set the record straight, I usually wear and enjoy several femenin fragances ...
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garšons man 2