Code of Conduct
    AromiErotici

Default Oud Cuir d'Arabie, Cuir de Russie or Cuir Ottoman ?

If you were going to add a leather to your wardrobe and already have Morabito's Or Black, which one of these would you choose?

Since I've sampled them and apparently liked all of them enough to narrow it down, I can't seem to decide on one......and one is all I am going to add.

I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say about adding another great leather to reach for instead of always grabbing Or Black.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oud Cuir d'Arabie, Cuir de Russie or Cuir Ottoman ?

Are you referring to the Chanel Cuir de Russi Aromi?

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Are you referring to the Chanel Cuir de Russi Aromi?
    Yea Dimi. My bad.

Oud Cuir d'Arabie

Off-Scenter

Wow. Apples, oranges, and pears, if you ask me. I've never been all that impressed by Cuir Ottoman myself, so it would not be among my recommendations. I happen to own bottles of Cuir de Russie, Oud Cuir d'Arabie and Or Black. Both the Chanel and the Montale are more animalic than the Morabito, but otherwise I think they're polar opposites in terms of "temperment." The question is, do you want the plush, indulgent luxury of the Chanel, or the bad boy/biker/S&M vibe of the Montale? To some extent, I perceive Cuir de Russie as further removed from Or Black in mood than is Oud Cuir d'Arabie, so if range of expression in your leathers is important to you , I might advocate for the Chanel. Come to think of it, the Chanel is probably a bit more versatile/wearable than the Montale, unless, like me, you're unafraid of being a bit outrageous in your olfactory attire. (Carnal Flower, anyone? )

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Scenter View Post
    Wow. Apples, oranges, and pears, if you ask me. I've never been all that impressed by Cuir Ottoman myself, so it would not be among my recommendations. I happen to own bottles of Cuir de Russie, Oud Cuir d'Arabie and Or Black. Both the Chanel and the Montale are more animalic than the Morabito, but otherwise I think they're polar opposites in terms of "temperment." The question is, do you want the plush, indulgent luxury of the Chanel, or the bad boy/biker/S&M vibe of the Montale? To some extent, I perceive Cuir de Russie as further removed from Or Black in mood than is Oud Cuir d'Arabie, so if range of expression in your leathers is important to you , I might advocate for the Chanel. Come to think of it, the Chanel is probably a bit more versatile/wearable than the Montale, unless, like me, you're unafraid of being a bit outrageous in your olfactory attire. (Carnal Flower, anyone? )
    I agree with you that the Chanel and Montale are more animalic than Morabito and that the Montale is closer in temperment to Or Black than the others.

The Chanel has the inherent smoothness associated with that house and to me is in no way similar to either the Montale, PdE or the Morabito.

It's not so much that I'm looking for a more plush leather than the Or Black I already have. I'm soliciting opinions on what would be the best choice to add alongside the Morabito as a leather choice if it were up to you and could only add one. I like all three from multiple sampling wears, but full wearings are not feasible unless I buy one and call it good.

Post Thanks / Like

Oud Cuir d'Arabie

Cuir de Russie is a great composition, amazing to smell, but it starts to feel extremely feminine (meaning it becomes annoying to me) in a short period of time. I rarely wear it anymore, and it's actually more of an iris floral with a leather accent. As well, the new stuff isn't nearly as good as what it was just ten years ago.
    Last edited by pluran; 1st January 2011 at 10:10 PM.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    It's not so much that I'm looking for a more plush leather than the Or Black I already have. I'm soliciting opinions on what would be the best choice to add alongside the Morabito as a leather choice if it were up to you and could only add one. I like all three from multiple sampling wears, but full wearings are not feasible unless I buy one and call it good.
    I'd still go with the Chanel. I wind up wearing it much more often than Oud Cuir d'Arabie. The only other tipping point I can think of is whether you already have an oudh-based scent in your collection. If not, then the Montale has that aspect to offer. Look there I go, equivocating again...

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Oud Cuir d'Arabie

Cuir de Russie is a great composition, amazing to smell, but it starts to feel extremely feminine in a short period of time. I rarely wear it, and it's actually more of an iris floral with a leather accent. As well, the new stuff isn't nearly as good as what it was just ten years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Off-Scenter View Post
    I'd still go with the Chanel. I wind up wearing it much more often than Oud Cuir d'Arabie. The only other tipping point I can think of is whether you already have an oudh-based scent in your collection. If not, then the Montale has that aspect to offer. Look there I go, equivocating again...
    No worries Andrew. Both you and pluran bring up good points and that's the reason for the thread. It will no doubt help me decide.

As for having aoud already in my rotation, the answer is no in spite of vintage M7 that is on the way. I don't consider that one a legitimate oud dominant scent. JMO.
    I have never felt the love for the aoud in Montale's line, but I loved Oud Cuir d'Arabie.

I may be forced to choose one bottle and then get 10ml. decants of the other 2.

Post Thanks / Like

I own all three. They all have there place, depending on my mood. If I was considering a new leather, I would seriously investigate Puredistance "M." This new Leather Chypre is 5 star quality. My thoughts elsewhere here on Basenotes.

Off-Scenter

I have never felt the love for the aoud in Montale's line, but I loved Oud Cuir d'Arabie.
    Possibly because it's one of the few that's not completely dominated by rose...?

Post Thanks / Like

Cuir Ottoman! hands down!

Post Thanks / Like

I would pick Chanel's CdR over the other two, vintage if possible.

Cuir Ottoman is a very nice and smooth leather with a wonderful drydown, but it has a somewhat indistinct character. Excellent addition to a leather collection, but not essential. Oud Cuir d'Arabie is too raw and oudy for me (I should resniff this though, it's been a while).

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Cuir d'Arabie

I was recently wowed by this one and I can't wait to own a decant of this. The last strong/strange fragrance to really grab me this way was Fumidus by Profumum.

Aromi, I am such a lover of leather scents that I would buy all eventually. I know this is not a help to you...

I just picked up Cuir Mauresque.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Aromi, I am such a lover of leather scents that I would buy all eventually. I know this is not a help to you...

I just picked up Cuir Mauresque.
    You're killing me over here Primrose......

You're killing me over here Primrose......
    Aromi, never talk perfume to a bunch of perfume nuts...they'll give you the answers you don't want to hear!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Cuir de russie