Code of Conduct

Thread: Memoir Woman

Post Thanks / Like

Question Memoir Woman

I love Memoir Man and own a bottle. Is Memoir Woman similar in that one thinks incensy/woody?
    Part of what I'd like to do for Mrs. J. is to provide more higher end fragrances and this one has caught my attention.

Thanks in advance.
    Daryl J.

Default Re: Memoir Woman

Daryl, it is somewhat similar but it has a strong grapey jasmine note throughout, and the absinthe is toned way way down. It's not really green at all in the opening, to my nose, but instead has a sweet shot of juicy mandarin, some spices (cardamom I think), and a bit of wormwood just providing a smooth/dark aromatic facet. From the initial blast onward the grapey jasmine is strongly present, and it slowly fades to allow the incense and smoke of the dry down to make themselves known, but I find it far less smokey, woody, or leathery than the dry down of Memoir Man. It is instead smoother, darker, sweeter, and far less dry than Man's dry down. I think the structure of the scent is interesting, and the idea is perfect, but I'm not entirely happy about the execution. The florals feel a bit too much and even a bit synthetic to my nose, and they persist a bit too long and the dry down (imo) would be better if it was a bit smokier, darker and drier. That may just be a preference thing though - to me it feels like they picked all the right notes but I'd rework the percentages slightly to make the dry down contrast more in texture and feel with what came before it. I know many others love it just as it is, though.

I will say that Memoir Woman is overall far louder and more extroverted than the comparatively introverted Memoir Man. I just think Memoir Man is more artistic and actually has more depth and contrast, even if it is not so outspoken. Memoir Woman seems more interesting at first sniff because it lays all of its charms out on the table immediately, but Memoir Man rewards the careful and observant wearer with more depth and nuance. Still, I think Woman is a good scent and it does pair very well with Man.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! That's far better than what I'd hoped to learn.

The grapey jasmine element is quite similar to that in the original Poison for Women. I remember when I first smelled Memoir Woman, Poison immediately came to mind. Their dry downs are quite different, though.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Sculpture on Memoir Woman. I do love my bottle but I've got to be in the mood for it . I find its longevity excellent on my skin like most Amouages. I think it's best Mrs. J sample this first though .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

To me it's gothic tuberose with a synthetic woody background. Quite disgusting!

Post Thanks / Like

I think they complement each other beautifully, Memoir Woman introduces some light into the pair, and I'd echo sos that this one opens up where Man sort of steps back quietly after a while. . . just tread softly I don't presume to understand how the floral accord works in this, I did get a feeling of tuberose, something narcotic in there - it's complex and unusual to me - quite lovely.