Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Tom Ford Amber Absolute

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    Are you saying Amber Absolute is being discontinued ?
    Yes, it is being discontinued, or "retired" as TF calls it, this according to the reps at the Neiman's I shop at. When I purchased a 250 ml bottle two weeks ago, they had none left, none were being shipped from TF, and all NM stores around the country had about 15 in total. It's already sold out on Nordstrom's site as well. The claim is the juice is too expensive to make. I suspect that to be the case with AA, though I have to imagine Bois Marocain is due to poor sales.
    Splits!

Creed GIT, Clive Christian 1872 & X For Men --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...-International

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    Yes, it is being discontinued, or "retired" as TF calls it, this according to the reps at the Neiman's I shop at. When I purchased a 250 ml bottle two weeks ago, they had none left, none were being shipped from TF, and all NM stores around the country had about 15 in total. It's already sold out on Nordstrom's site as well. The claim is the juice is too expensive to make. I suspect that to be the case with AA, though I have to imagine Bois Marocain is due to poor sales.
    It`s still shown at the Tom Ford web-site as a "hallmark Private blend fragrance". I don`t think it`s been discontinued..

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    It`s still shown at the Tom Ford web-site as a "hallmark Private blend fragrance". I don`t think it`s been discontinued..
    That's why I said slowly being phased out. As far as I know, 50 ml bottles are still being produced, but from what I've seen and heard, the 250's are no longer being produced. The TF rep showed me their national inventory list of AA. There was literally 15 or so 250 ml bottles remaining in Neiman's entire stock. She had to call 8 stores before finding one for me. It's been removed from Nordstrom's site as well in the 250 ml portion. All signs point to a slow removal of it from the line, or at least a reduction to 50 ml only, since the profit margin in those is higher. Perhaps Jabel could provide more info here.
    Splits!

Creed GIT, Clive Christian 1872 & X For Men --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...-International

That's why I said slowly being phased out. As far as I know, 50 ml bottles are still being produced, but from what I've seen and heard, the 250's are no longer being produced. The TF rep showed me their national inventory list of AA. There was literally 15 or so 250 ml bottles remaining in Neiman's entire stock. She had to call 8 stores before finding one for me. It's been removed from Nordstrom's site as well in the 250 ml portion. All signs point to a slow removal of it from the line, or at least a reduction to 50 ml only, since the profit margin in those is higher. Perhaps Jabel could provide more info here.

Hmm very interesting information, thank you for sharing. Maybe they will continue to make the 50ml for the foreseeable future and it was just the flacons they discontinued. Hopefully Tobacco Vanille doesn't go down the same road!!!

I'm hoping they cut it down to 50ml only instead of completely phasing it out..I love this stuff. This and Noir de Noir are my favorites from the line.

Damn... if this is going disco it would really suck. I am looking for my Amber scent and this one is on my list of next to sample. Everywhere I looked on Basenotes, Youtube and the fragrance community in general has nothing but positive stuff to say about this juice.

Ya I have no official word on this yet guys but will try and find out. I still have 250ml's but Bois Marocain is being retired from what I've been told.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    Great scent which deserves a more creative name.
    Nicely said, MikeNY.
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Jabel View Post
    Ya I have no official word on this yet guys but will try and find out. I still have 250ml's but Bois Marocain is being retired from what I've been told.
    Thanks, let us know what you find out. The TF rep here was quite certain in what she told me about both being retired.
    Splits!

Thanks, let us know what you find out. The TF rep here was quite certain in what she told me about both being retired.
    It's a huge possibility, TF Beauty has two Account Executives and mine has been pretty busy with launching the color line at Neimans so I see/speak with him maybe a few times a month and it's usually just about how our business is and what can be done to help improve it.

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    I'm hoping they cut it down to 50ml only instead of completely phasing it out..I love this stuff. This and Noir de Noir are my favorites from the line.
    Same. IMO Amber Absolute is one of the finest ambers on the market, and one of the best from the Private Blend line. One of my best blind buys as well. I'd be quite ticked if they full on discontinued it.

My favorite from the private line, with Tobacco Vanille.
    Outstanding longevity and sillage (12 hours later my girlfriend had to open the windows of the car, cause she didnt liked the scent and it continued to be strong)

I will be sad if it will be discontinued, looks like the betters from the line was discontinued (Moss Breches, Japon Noir now Amber Absolute)

One drop of this from a little sample vial lasts me the entire day easily and tends to off-put all human interaction within a 10ft radius. I decided to get 'back' my friend that gave it to me by putting just one little drop on his pillow whenever he sleeps over. He had no idea what was waiting for him one night; he couldn't sleep at all, and ever since it became a joke that whenever one does something to irritate the other, they get the Amber Absolute treatment

Just missed a split on this stuff!!!
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Tonka Imperiale
    3. Dior Homme
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Oud Wood
    6. Ambre Nuit
    7. L'air Du Desert Marocain
    8. Noir de Noir
    9. Apple Brandy
    10.Straight to Heaven

Wonderful burned down house smell.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

I never used to like this, like you it was one of the first niche fragrances that I bought and I'm not afraid to say that I didn't get it! How wrong I was. Luxurious, sumptuous and very dark. Best used on a cold Winter evening, so perfect for the purpose that you stated.

Any update if Amber Absolute is on its way to being discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by luvinfragsguy View Post
    Any update if Amber Absolute is on its way to being discontinued?
    I'm still being told no but when I asked where to put Lavender Palm in the line up at the counter they said to pull the Amber tester and Decanter and put LP in it's place. . . . . .

I'm still being told no but when I asked where to put Lavender Palm in the line up at the counter they said to pull the Amber tester and Decanter and put LP in it's place. . . . . .
    Thanks for the info Jabel.

AA starts off strong, but shines after the first hour. I sprayed this on one morning and could still smell it the next. Amazing longevity. I do believe it can be improved with layering with something else.
    Last edited by mikesc; 12th February 2012 at 07:48 PM.

Sad news indeed..hopefully the hordes of AA fans worldwide get Tom Ford's attention with an "Occupy" type movement in honor of AA. Stuff like this makes me wish that fragrance had an endless shelf life so I could stock up. First Famous Dave's gets rid of their sweet jalapeno dipping sauce and now this...the world is not what it was.

AA is a great creation, and I hope TF will continue to make it available to its many fans.

Testing AA right now and I must say that this is great. But i personally dont think Id be able to rock this and wont feel comftorable wearing it as it feels like it should be worn someone older and with "experience" if you know what i mean. The incense burnt house smell is incredible though. Never smelt anything like this and perhaps will get this once i get a bit older but for now my focus is on getting a bottle of Tobacco vanille

What I was told recently by the TF rep at my store is that they're retiring only the 250 ml decanters of AA, presumably based on the cost to produce, and the profit margin is higher for the 50 ml bottles. When I was there last week, there was no 250, but a 50 on the counter.
    Splits!

What I was told recently by the TF rep at my store is that they're retiring only the 250 ml decanters of AA, presumably based on the cost to produce, and the profit margin is higher for the 50 ml bottles. When I was there last week, there was no 250, but a 50 on the counter.
    I hope this is true. I'd really hate to see TF AA go before I have a chance to sample it again.

Spoke to the Tom Ford sales rep in Selfridges, and he categorically stated that Amber Absolute was not being discontinues!

Quote Originally Posted by tyler-durden View Post
    Spoke to the Tom Ford sales rep in Selfridges, and he categorically stated that Amber Absolute was not being discontinues!
    Interesting. That is believable considering Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom still carry it.

Basenotes Member

Beautiful, beautiful scent. One of my favorite dry-downs, right alongside Tobacco Vanille

I just revisited this scent as it has finally gotten a bit cooler here in San Diego.

I remember when I first go my sample and the first image that popped in my head was "apres ski in a chalet in the Alps, with a warm fire burning in the background." Surprisingly, my first impression was right on.

As mentioned above, it opens with a raw, woody, smokey - "fire place" vibe. I don't get incense, because I get more dry wood fire smoke than incense. Although, to some that is the same thing, smoke = incense. Behind the apres ski vibe, there is a syrupy carmel amber base.

The most disappointing part of this scent is that you loose the raw, woody, smokey vibe after a few hours. Although the base is beautiful and comforting, the apres ski feel is what really draws me in and makes the scent sure unique to my nose.
    Top notes of... sweat, gasoline, motor oil; a heart of deer musk and gunpowder, resting on a base of sex and testosterone... Mandom.

Amber Absolute is hands down, the best modern interpretation of an amber fragrance on the market. It's almost flawless. I could do without the super smoky top and mid notes, but they counter the caramel sweetness quite well.

It also lasts like 36 hours! Great work by Christophe Laudamiel, the perfumer.

- - - Updated - - -

Amber Absolute is hands down, the best modern interpretation of an amber fragrance on the market. It's almost flawless. I could do without the super smoky top and mid notes, but they counter the caramel sweetness quite well.

It also lasts like 36 hours! Great work by Christophe Laudamiel, the perfumer.
    Sales thread here