Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Tom Ford Amber Absolute

This was the first ever niche scent i purchased, blind by the way, and my initial impression..... huh??? sold immediately.

That was almost 2 years ago, and now my nose has developed and i think i kinda want to re-visit again. I remember it being heavy on the incense, reminiscent of the inside of a catholic church, I wore it only in the evening, and whilst wearing a button up shirt (i thought it was very classy given i didnt like it as much)

Im in the market for a classy, sophisticated evening scent, and i think Amber Absolute might be the one. Anyone else a fan?

Default Re: Tom Ford Amber Absolute

Amber Absolute is a bit of a misleading name, isn't it? It does have a healthy dose of incense. It's a great scent, just a bit mis-named. If it's Amber you want, try Amber Extreme; that is pure amber.

ur right, i read somewhere it smells like fresh blown out matches

Amber Absolute is an incense, amber, vanilla and wood accent mix. I find it to be a great evening fragrance. But because it can be poweful, I tend to wear at most 1-2 sprays. There is a distinct incence, and I find it to be very creamy and inviting. Great winter fragrance. Because the Private Blends are meant to be layered, I don't wear Amber Absolute alone normally. I like to mix it with Tobacco Vanille or Champaca Absolute. It gains more versatility when mixed.

Great scent which deserves a more creative name.

Smelled it at Niemans the other day, and didn't care for it at all.

Dependent

I'm a huge fan of ambers, and Tom Ford's I dare say, is one of the smoothest and well-balanced ambers to my average nose. Many ambers explode on me, and sometimes I like it to be booming. AA is the most well-behaved of my ambers.

I have been a fan of AA since it came out and always rely on it as a dark amber which suits me perfectly...I also love Ambre Extreme and cannot find any similarity between the two They are both pure liquid emotion for different feelings on different days... I wish the AE had a bit more sillage on me when I wear it. The one that wins from positive comments on the 'street' so to speak is AA by a long shot...anytime I go out I get compliments on it...

Quote Originally Posted by MFJ View Post
    I'm a huge fan of ambers, and Tom Ford's I dare say, is one of the smoothest and well-balanced ambers to my average nose. Many ambers explode on me, and sometimes I like it to be booming. AA is the most well-behaved of my ambers.
    Your not imagining this. AA is my #1 going out scent that exudes the complements so far with the class of people that I am around. Still to this day I dont understand how the Tom Ford line lasts as long as it does on me in the desert. Until I shower lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MFJ View Post
    Were you reading me mind when you pinned that....huh ;-)

Blog Entries

The first phase of Amber Absolute is certainly raw, woody & smokey with a good dose of incense, but after the first hour or so, it's a thick, sweet, deliciously comforting caramel-vanilla-amber. ln short, l don't think you can judge this one in one sniff, wait for the drydown! Along with Ambra Aurea by Profumum, this is one of the very best ambers l've tried, & has great projection & longevity. l'd say it's definitely worth revisiting. l got my 4ml sample off ebay.
    Last edited by teardrop; 3rd January 2011 at 10:04 AM.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I love it big time , I find it initially has a huge medicinal blast which I love but alas this is THE one the perfume hater creates the most fuss over so I dont wear it for a quiet life ..... unless of course I want to send out a message LOL

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    The first phase of Amber Absolute is certainly raw, woody & smokey with a good dose of incense, but after the first hour or so, it's a thick, sweet, deliciously comforting caramel-vanilla-amber. ln short, l don't think you can judge this one in one sniff, wait for the drydown! Along with Ambra Aurea by Profumum, this is one of the very best ambers l've tried, & has great projection & longevity. l'd say it's definitely worth revisiting. l got my 4ml sample off ebay.
    i think i will, but ebay has been scarce recently...

So i went to Selfridges today and tried it out.... Oh My Goodness! (im to cool to write OMG, lol) this one is killer, one of the best Private blends, i also tried Azure Lime (wack) and Japon Noir (interesting....) but I think AA will join Tobacco Vanille in my collection, superb fragrance. It goes to show how much my taste has changed over the last 2 years.

Blog Entries

Great news jlouismi, glad you love it!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Sur la Plage

I am a big fan.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I am a big fan.
    then it must be good! lol

Amber Absolute and Tobacco Vanille are two heavyweight champs that will remain undefeated for many years to come.

Amber Absolute is smooth and well blended, which I find is the case for most Tom Ford scents, but there isn't enough of a development for me.

I love it, good choice! enjoy it!

Love at first sniff

I like it but my amber references are Ambra Mediterennea by Profumi del Forte & Ambre Precieux by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier.
    for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

AA is very smooth and well balanced frag for anytime.
    LOOKING FOR DECANTS OF ANY O. Durbano, ANY Hilde Soliana, BOISE VANILLE, COLOGNE POUR LE SOIR, MUSC RAVEGEUR, AND ROSE 31 TO SWAP:.:wink

Basenotes Institution N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar

it's a fairly good choice though not one my top favorites from TF.

Love it, very rich, creamy, and long lasting. Perfect for winter and right next to Tobacco Vanille as the number 2 scent in the private blend line....

I agree! My notes on this one when I tested it were "Old, stony church."
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

One of the first Private Blends I bought.. still love it and wear often. Often layer it with Purple Patchouli.. for an intoxicating cocktail that always gets compliments.

It's being slowly phased out along with Bois Marocain. Apparently, production of the 250 ml flacons has stopped.
    Splits!

Creed GIT, Clive Christian 1872 & X For Men --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...-International

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    It's being slowly phased out along with Bois Marocain. Apparently, production of the 250 ml flacons has stopped.
    Are you saying Amber Absolute is being discontinued ?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Castro View Post
    Amber Absolute is an incense, amber, vanilla and wood accent mix. I find it to be a great evening fragrance. But because it can be poweful, I tend to wear at most 1-2 sprays. There is a distinct incence, and I find it to be very creamy and inviting. Great winter fragrance. Because the Private Blends are meant to be layered, I don't wear Amber Absolute alone normally. I like to mix it with Tobacco Vanille or Champaca Absolute. It gains more versatility when mixed.
    +1 i just recently got a 5ml sample of the some of the Tom Fords(Amber Absolute, Italian Cypress, Arabian Oud) when I went to purchase Original Santal from the local Neiman Marcus. I have been really hesitant to pull the trigger on Amber Absolute because out of the Private Blends I have tried Amber Absolute just really feels incomplete when Im wearing it. It is a very beautiful fragrance but it is really heavy on the vanilla and amber imo). Longevity is amazing though!! I may have to give it another few goes...