Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tom Ford Amber Absolute

This was the first ever niche scent i purchased, blind by the way, and my initial impression..... huh??? sold immediately.

That was almost 2 years ago, and now my nose has developed and i think i kinda want to re-visit again. I remember it being heavy on the incense, reminiscent of the inside of a catholic church, I wore it only in the evening, and whilst wearing a button up shirt (i thought it was very classy given i didnt like it as much)

Im in the market for a classy, sophisticated evening scent, and i think Amber Absolute might be the one. Anyone else a fan?

Default Re: Tom Ford Amber Absolute

Amber Absolute is a bit of a misleading name, isn't it? It does have a healthy dose of incense. It's a great scent, just a bit mis-named. If it's Amber you want, try Amber Extreme; that is pure amber.

ur right, i read somewhere it smells like fresh blown out matches

Amber Absolute is an incense, amber, vanilla and wood accent mix. I find it to be a great evening fragrance. But because it can be poweful, I tend to wear at most 1-2 sprays. There is a distinct incence, and I find it to be very creamy and inviting. Great winter fragrance. Because the Private Blends are meant to be layered, I don't wear Amber Absolute alone normally. I like to mix it with Tobacco Vanille or Champaca Absolute. It gains more versatility when mixed.

Great scent which deserves a more creative name.

Smelled it at Niemans the other day, and didn't care for it at all.

Dependent

I'm a huge fan of ambers, and Tom Ford's I dare say, is one of the smoothest and well-balanced ambers to my average nose. Many ambers explode on me, and sometimes I like it to be booming. AA is the most well-behaved of my ambers.

I have been a fan of AA since it came out and always rely on it as a dark amber which suits me perfectly...I also love Ambre Extreme and cannot find any similarity between the two They are both pure liquid emotion for different feelings on different days... I wish the AE had a bit more sillage on me when I wear it. The one that wins from positive comments on the 'street' so to speak is AA by a long shot...anytime I go out I get compliments on it...

Quote Originally Posted by MFJ View Post
    I'm a huge fan of ambers, and Tom Ford's I dare say, is one of the smoothest and well-balanced ambers to my average nose. Many ambers explode on me, and sometimes I like it to be booming. AA is the most well-behaved of my ambers.
    Your not imagining this. AA is my #1 going out scent that exudes the complements so far with the class of people that I am around. Still to this day I dont understand how the Tom Ford line lasts as long as it does on me in the desert. Until I shower lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MFJ View Post
    Were you reading me mind when you pinned that....huh ;-)

Blog Entries

The first phase of Amber Absolute is certainly raw, woody & smokey with a good dose of incense, but after the first hour or so, it's a thick, sweet, deliciously comforting caramel-vanilla-amber. ln short, l don't think you can judge this one in one sniff, wait for the drydown! Along with Ambra Aurea by Profumum, this is one of the very best ambers l've tried, & has great projection & longevity. l'd say it's definitely worth revisiting. l got my 4ml sample off ebay.
    Last edited by teardrop; 3rd January 2011 at 11:04 AM.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I love it big time , I find it initially has a huge medicinal blast which I love but alas this is THE one the perfume hater creates the most fuss over so I dont wear it for a quiet life ..... unless of course I want to send out a message LOL

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    The first phase of Amber Absolute is certainly raw, woody & smokey with a good dose of incense, but after the first hour or so, it's a thick, sweet, deliciously comforting caramel-vanilla-amber. ln short, l don't think you can judge this one in one sniff, wait for the drydown! Along with Ambra Aurea by Profumum, this is one of the very best ambers l've tried, & has great projection & longevity. l'd say it's definitely worth revisiting. l got my 4ml sample off ebay.
    i think i will, but ebay has been scarce recently...

So i went to Selfridges today and tried it out.... Oh My Goodness! (im to cool to write OMG, lol) this one is killer, one of the best Private blends, i also tried Azure Lime (wack) and Japon Noir (interesting....) but I think AA will join Tobacco Vanille in my collection, superb fragrance. It goes to show how much my taste has changed over the last 2 years.

Blog Entries

Great news jlouismi, glad you love it!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Sur la Plage

I am a big fan.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I am a big fan.
    then it must be good! lol

Amber Absolute and Tobacco Vanille are two heavyweight champs that will remain undefeated for many years to come.

Amber Absolute is smooth and well blended, which I find is the case for most Tom Ford scents, but there isn't enough of a development for me.

I love it, good choice! enjoy it!

Love at first sniff

I like it but my amber references are Ambra Mediterennea by Profumi del Forte & Ambre Precieux by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier.

for swap/sale:

AA is very smooth and well balanced frag for anytime.
    LOOKING FOR DECANTS OF ANY O. Durbano, ANY Hilde Soliana, BOISE VANILLE, COLOGNE POUR LE SOIR, MUSC RAVEGEUR, AND ROSE 31 TO SWAP:.:wink

it's a fairly good choice though not one my top favorites from TF.

Love it, very rich, creamy, and long lasting. Perfect for winter and right next to Tobacco Vanille as the number 2 scent in the private blend line....

I agree! My notes on this one when I tested it were "Old, stony church."
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

One of the first Private Blends I bought.. still love it and wear often. Often layer it with Purple Patchouli.. for an intoxicating cocktail that always gets compliments.

It's being slowly phased out along with Bois Marocain. Apparently, production of the 250 ml flacons has stopped.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    It's being slowly phased out along with Bois Marocain. Apparently, production of the 250 ml flacons has stopped.
    Are you saying Amber Absolute is being discontinued ?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Castro View Post
    Amber Absolute is an incense, amber, vanilla and wood accent mix. I find it to be a great evening fragrance. But because it can be poweful, I tend to wear at most 1-2 sprays. There is a distinct incence, and I find it to be very creamy and inviting. Great winter fragrance. Because the Private Blends are meant to be layered, I don't wear Amber Absolute alone normally. I like to mix it with Tobacco Vanille or Champaca Absolute. It gains more versatility when mixed.
    +1 i just recently got a 5ml sample of the some of the Tom Fords(Amber Absolute, Italian Cypress, Arabian Oud) when I went to purchase Original Santal from the local Neiman Marcus. I have been really hesitant to pull the trigger on Amber Absolute because out of the Private Blends I have tried Amber Absolute just really feels incomplete when Im wearing it. It is a very beautiful fragrance but it is really heavy on the vanilla and amber imo). Longevity is amazing though!! I may have to give it another few goes...

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    Are you saying Amber Absolute is being discontinued ?
    Yes, it is being discontinued, or "retired" as TF calls it, this according to the reps at the Neiman's I shop at. When I purchased a 250 ml bottle two weeks ago, they had none left, none were being shipped from TF, and all NM stores around the country had about 15 in total. It's already sold out on Nordstrom's site as well. The claim is the juice is too expensive to make. I suspect that to be the case with AA, though I have to imagine Bois Marocain is due to poor sales.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

Yes, it is being discontinued, or "retired" as TF calls it, this according to the reps at the Neiman's I shop at. When I purchased a 250 ml bottle two weeks ago, they had none left, none were being shipped from TF, and all NM stores around the country had about 15 in total. It's already sold out on Nordstrom's site as well. The claim is the juice is too expensive to make. I suspect that to be the case with AA, though I have to imagine Bois Marocain is due to poor sales.
    It`s still shown at the Tom Ford web-site as a "hallmark Private blend fragrance". I don`t think it`s been discontinued..

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    It`s still shown at the Tom Ford web-site as a "hallmark Private blend fragrance". I don`t think it`s been discontinued..
    That's why I said slowly being phased out. As far as I know, 50 ml bottles are still being produced, but from what I've seen and heard, the 250's are no longer being produced. The TF rep showed me their national inventory list of AA. There was literally 15 or so 250 ml bottles remaining in Neiman's entire stock. She had to call 8 stores before finding one for me. It's been removed from Nordstrom's site as well in the 250 ml portion. All signs point to a slow removal of it from the line, or at least a reduction to 50 ml only, since the profit margin in those is higher. Perhaps Jabel could provide more info here.
    Splits!

That's why I said slowly being phased out. As far as I know, 50 ml bottles are still being produced, but from what I've seen and heard, the 250's are no longer being produced. The TF rep showed me their national inventory list of AA. There was literally 15 or so 250 ml bottles remaining in Neiman's entire stock. She had to call 8 stores before finding one for me. It's been removed from Nordstrom's site as well in the 250 ml portion. All signs point to a slow removal of it from the line, or at least a reduction to 50 ml only, since the profit margin in those is higher. Perhaps Jabel could provide more info here.

Hmm very interesting information, thank you for sharing. Maybe they will continue to make the 50ml for the foreseeable future and it was just the flacons they discontinued. Hopefully Tobacco Vanille doesn't go down the same road!!!

I'm hoping they cut it down to 50ml only instead of completely phasing it out..I love this stuff. This and Noir de Noir are my favorites from the line.

Damn... if this is going disco it would really suck. I am looking for my Amber scent and this one is on my list of next to sample. Everywhere I looked on Basenotes, Youtube and the fragrance community in general has nothing but positive stuff to say about this juice.

Ya I have no official word on this yet guys but will try and find out. I still have 250ml's but Bois Marocain is being retired from what I've been told.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    Great scent which deserves a more creative name.
    Nicely said, MikeNY.
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Jabel View Post
    Ya I have no official word on this yet guys but will try and find out. I still have 250ml's but Bois Marocain is being retired from what I've been told.
    Thanks, let us know what you find out. The TF rep here was quite certain in what she told me about both being retired.
    Splits!

Thanks, let us know what you find out. The TF rep here was quite certain in what she told me about both being retired.
    It's a huge possibility, TF Beauty has two Account Executives and mine has been pretty busy with launching the color line at Neimans so I see/speak with him maybe a few times a month and it's usually just about how our business is and what can be done to help improve it.

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    I'm hoping they cut it down to 50ml only instead of completely phasing it out..I love this stuff. This and Noir de Noir are my favorites from the line.
    Same. IMO Amber Absolute is one of the finest ambers on the market, and one of the best from the Private Blend line. One of my best blind buys as well. I'd be quite ticked if they full on discontinued it.

My favorite from the private line, with Tobacco Vanille.
    Outstanding longevity and sillage (12 hours later my girlfriend had to open the windows of the car, cause she didnt liked the scent and it continued to be strong)

I will be sad if it will be discontinued, looks like the betters from the line was discontinued (Moss Breches, Japon Noir now Amber Absolute)

One drop of this from a little sample vial lasts me the entire day easily and tends to off-put all human interaction within a 10ft radius. I decided to get 'back' my friend that gave it to me by putting just one little drop on his pillow whenever he sleeps over. He had no idea what was waiting for him one night; he couldn't sleep at all, and ever since it became a joke that whenever one does something to irritate the other, they get the Amber Absolute treatment

Just missed a split on this stuff!!!
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Apple Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Wonderful burned down house smell.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

I never used to like this, like you it was one of the first niche fragrances that I bought and I'm not afraid to say that I didn't get it! How wrong I was. Luxurious, sumptuous and very dark. Best used on a cold Winter evening, so perfect for the purpose that you stated.

Any update if Amber Absolute is on its way to being discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by luvinfragsguy View Post
    Any update if Amber Absolute is on its way to being discontinued?
    I'm still being told no but when I asked where to put Lavender Palm in the line up at the counter they said to pull the Amber tester and Decanter and put LP in it's place. . . . . .

I'm still being told no but when I asked where to put Lavender Palm in the line up at the counter they said to pull the Amber tester and Decanter and put LP in it's place. . . . . .
    Thanks for the info Jabel.

AA starts off strong, but shines after the first hour. I sprayed this on one morning and could still smell it the next. Amazing longevity. I do believe it can be improved with layering with something else.
    Last edited by mikesc; 12th February 2012 at 08:48 PM.

Sad news indeed..hopefully the hordes of AA fans worldwide get Tom Ford's attention with an "Occupy" type movement in honor of AA. Stuff like this makes me wish that fragrance had an endless shelf life so I could stock up. First Famous Dave's gets rid of their sweet jalapeno dipping sauce and now this...the world is not what it was.

AA is a great creation, and I hope TF will continue to make it available to its many fans.

Testing AA right now and I must say that this is great. But i personally dont think Id be able to rock this and wont feel comftorable wearing it as it feels like it should be worn someone older and with "experience" if you know what i mean. The incense burnt house smell is incredible though. Never smelt anything like this and perhaps will get this once i get a bit older but for now my focus is on getting a bottle of Tobacco vanille

What I was told recently by the TF rep at my store is that they're retiring only the 250 ml decanters of AA, presumably based on the cost to produce, and the profit margin is higher for the 50 ml bottles. When I was there last week, there was no 250, but a 50 on the counter.
    Splits!

What I was told recently by the TF rep at my store is that they're retiring only the 250 ml decanters of AA, presumably based on the cost to produce, and the profit margin is higher for the 50 ml bottles. When I was there last week, there was no 250, but a 50 on the counter.
    I hope this is true. I'd really hate to see TF AA go before I have a chance to sample it again.

Spoke to the Tom Ford sales rep in Selfridges, and he categorically stated that Amber Absolute was not being discontinues!

Quote Originally Posted by tyler-durden View Post
    Spoke to the Tom Ford sales rep in Selfridges, and he categorically stated that Amber Absolute was not being discontinues!
    Interesting. That is believable considering Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom still carry it.

Basenotes Member

Beautiful, beautiful scent. One of my favorite dry-downs, right alongside Tobacco Vanille

I just revisited this scent as it has finally gotten a bit cooler here in San Diego.

I remember when I first go my sample and the first image that popped in my head was "apres ski in a chalet in the Alps, with a warm fire burning in the background." Surprisingly, my first impression was right on.

As mentioned above, it opens with a raw, woody, smokey - "fire place" vibe. I don't get incense, because I get more dry wood fire smoke than incense. Although, to some that is the same thing, smoke = incense. Behind the apres ski vibe, there is a syrupy carmel amber base.

The most disappointing part of this scent is that you loose the raw, woody, smokey vibe after a few hours. Although the base is beautiful and comforting, the apres ski feel is what really draws me in and makes the scent sure unique to my nose.
    Top notes of... sweat, gasoline, motor oil; a heart of deer musk and gunpowder, resting on a base of sex and testosterone... Mandom.

Amber Absolute is hands down, the best modern interpretation of an amber fragrance on the market. It's almost flawless. I could do without the super smoky top and mid notes, but they counter the caramel sweetness quite well.

It also lasts like 36 hours! Great work by Christophe Laudamiel, the perfumer.

- - - Updated - - -

Amber Absolute is hands down, the best modern interpretation of an amber fragrance on the market. It's almost flawless. I could do without the super smoky top and mid notes, but they counter the caramel sweetness quite well.

It also lasts like 36 hours! Great work by Christophe Laudamiel, the perfumer.
    Sales thread here