Code of Conduct

Default May have gotten a bunch of fake fragrances w/ pics (Allure Homme, Le Male, London, GIT etc)

Hi, This is my first post here on basentoes I hope I posted this in the right section.

As the title says I think I may have gotten a bunch of fake fragrances. I got into fragrances the summer of 2010, and I have bought the majority of my fragrances off of ebay, and none of these are newly bought. I bought them between July and September. I have just bought from sellers with 95%+ positive feedback, but just found out a few hours ago that one of the sellers this known for selling fakes.

Here are the fragrances I have bought. Unfortunately I don't have any of their boxes.

Chanel Allure Homme 1.7 oz
    Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male 2.5 oz
    Burberry London 3.3 oz
    Creed Green Irish Tweed 1 oz

Versace The Dreamer 3.4 oz
    Rochas Man 1.7 oz

The first four I am quite sure are fakes, and the two last Im not so sure are fakes.

I bought Allure Homme, Le Male and London from the same seller, the others are bought from other sellers.

Chanel Allure Homme 1.7 oz

On the last picture for the Allue Homme it is next to my Allure Homme Sport 1.7 oz, and you can clearly see that the number on the back has been grounded down. So im thinking this one has to be fake.

I have noticed that the Allure doesn't last very long (4-5 hours at best). I can only compare it to the Allure Homme Sport, and the sport last much longer.

Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male 2.5 oz

Burberry London 3.3 oz

As most of you can see I have removed the burberry material on the bottle. This is simply because it made me itch Hope this doesn't affect if you can tell if it is fake or not.

Creed Green Irish Tweed 1 oz

Now when it comes to these two I don't think they are fake, but I just want to check to be sure.

Versace The Dreamer 3.4 oz

Rochas Man 1.7 oz

Pictures aren't to great for the Rochas Man, but in the second picture you can see the numbers 9306 on the top left. These are serial numbers, which mean it's authentic, right?

Any help would be highly appreciated

Default Re: May have gotten a bunch of fake fragrances w/ pics (Allure Homme, Le Male, London, GIT etc)

Quote Originally Posted by eteled View Post
    you can clearly see that the number on the back has been grounded down. So im thinking this one has to be fake.
    Rather a sign for grey market, not for fakes. At least the Allure bottle is real, I'd say. Don't know about the content, of course.
    Last edited by warlord; 3rd January 2011 at 07:25 PM. Reason: addition

Default Re: May have gotten a bunch of fake fragrances w/ pics (Allure Homme, Le Male, London, GIT etc)

The sticker on your bottle of Versace The Dreamer has a different layout to mine which I bought in a fragrance store. Firstly though, mines is only the 50ml bottle whereas yours is the 100ml. However, the % VOL of mine is 83% compared to your 79% although it does say 79% VOL on my box...not too sure what thats all about. Comparing the two physical bottles, they are identical and the stem of your spritzer even bends the same direction as mine lol. Hope this is of some help!
    Creed Aventus lid wanted: please pm if you can help

Le Male has the word Gaultier engraved at the back?

But the bottles looks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by warlord View Post
    Rather a sign for grey market, not for fakes. At least the Allure bottle is real, I'd say. Don't know about the content, of course.
    If you know, could you explain why the numbers has been removed?

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Le Male has the word Gaultier engraved at the back?
    Yes it has.

Theres no exista a counterfeit wich last more than 2 hours, if it does, its legit (and also the bottles are too perfect to be counterfeits)

Blog Entries

Allure looks real. It's probably just old. Do you smell alcohol when you first spray it on? If so, it's not been taken care of properly.

Burberry looks real too.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

I suggest going to a department store and comparing the scents and their structure with those of their respective testers (and then even if it's the real juice there may be marginal differences due to age/variations between batches, but for the most part, deviation should be fairly obvious, particularly with respect to longevity and the drydown). Other things to consider are how well the sprayers work, where the labels/serial numbers are printed, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by eteled View Post
    If you know, could you explain why the numbers has been removed?
    Those numbers help the manufacturer to "track down" the products. They know which lot they sold to whom. For the alimentation of the grey market someone in the "regular" (authorized by the trade mark owner) supply chain usually has to break some contracts with his supplier (either by delivering to regions/countries/customers he is not authorized or by underselling). And for obvious reasons that someone is not interested in revealing his identity with those lot numbers.

Hi, I feel your pain. I bought a bottle from an Ebay New Perfume seller. The feedback was ok, so I thought I was safe. Not so, when I recieved my bottle, as soon as I sprayed it, I knew I had been taken. I compared it to a bottle that I had bought from Macys and the thing I noticed was the bottle from Ebay didn't have a "Lot Number" stamped on the bottom. So now, I rather be safe and buy at a perfume counter at the mall or something. If its a vintage bottle from a person (not a new perfume dealer) on Ebay, I feel somewhat safe there. But the New Perfume shops on Ebay just scare me, now.

If you don't have any other resource, Beauty Encounter sells samples. Maybe you could get some and compare.
    Last edited by rickie; 4th January 2011 at 06:49 PM. Reason: added another line

I never thought about them being fake until I found out that one of the sellers had negative feedback. I have only smelled samples of the fragrances and I can not detect any difference between the samples and the actual fragrances. Only thing I was worried about was the number on the Chanel allure homme, but warlord put me at ease about that.

I guess they are not fakes, judging from the feedback I have gotten here. Thank you everybody for helping me out.

It would have probably been a boon if they put something(anything) else in the Le Male bottle, but I'm glad it seems you got what you were hoping for.

I can't imagine there's a big market for counterfeit Dreamers and Rochas Mans out there. The fact that they both have relatively distinctive bottles (in the latter's case, very distinctive) which are difficult to replicate and aren't hugely popular in the mainstream market doesn't make them very attractive to would-be fakers, so I wouldn't worry about those ones at least.

they don't look fake though

Quote Originally Posted by jbr View Post
    I can't imagine there's a big market for counterfeit Dreamers and Rochas Mans out there. The fact that they both have relatively distinctive bottles (in the latter's case, very distinctive) which are difficult to replicate and aren't hugely popular in the mainstream market doesn't make them very attractive to would-be fakers, so I wouldn't worry about those ones at least.
    Yes, you got the point.
    I dont see a reason to do fakes of Rochas man, wich is so underrated.

Most fakes are of the larger size, usually 100 or 125 ml. Use toolhaus.org to look up seller feedback. If there is any hint of fake selling, avoid them. If they are new, avoid them. If they have 20 Le Male bottles starting at $1 each, avoid them. If they are selling the ones most commonly faked, avoid them. Hopefully, you get the idea. LOL.