Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Knize Ten

    17 17.89%
  • Chanel Cuir de Russie

    8 8.42%
  • Creed Royal English Leather

    9 9.47%
  • Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque

    4 4.21%
  • Guerlain Derby

    11 11.58%
  • Robert Piguet Bandit

    7 7.37%
  • Pascal Morabito Or Black

    8 8.42%
  • Caron Tabac Blond

    4 4.21%
  • Lancome Cuir de Lancome

    5 5.26%
  • Tom Ford Tuscan Leather

    22 23.16%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 68
  1. #1
    calero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Out of the choices below, which is your favorite leather fragrance?


    Maybe this can be kind of like a "Battle for the Heavyweight Title of Best Leather"....

  2. #2
    StylinLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    4,321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    They're aren't any choices below (yet- you may still be composing), but I'd say my overall favorite is TF Tuscan Leather. But it's close with that and Knize 10 or Royal English Leather.

    Tuscan Leather wears the loudest on me of the bunch. I also love Habit Rouge, but it's so well blended I don't think of it much as a leather scent.

  3. #3
    Banned

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    9,289
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    I dont see any choices either. Are you creating a poll?
    I know its a 2-step process.

    My top 3:

    Cuir de Russie - Guerlain
    XerJoff Homme - XerJoff
    Cuir - Mona di Orio

    EDITED TO ADD:
    Now I see your options, I choose Derby and Tabac Blond, though the latter is a little less 'leather' than some of the others to my nose. All in all a hard lineup to choose from. I was not at all enamoured with the modern Chanel CdR. Trying to pass that off as "Russian leather" is a bit of a lark. Russian leather has a distinctive odor profile thanks to the tanning process and oils used to treat the leather afterward, and the Chanel doesnt even come close!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 4th January 2011 at 05:05 AM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    I like variety and I have to be in the mood, no matter how much I "objectively" like it. Over the last several months, I've become a leather frag fan. I think that leather (or suede) often balances out a frag well, while at the same time adding an additional note that makes it more complex and dynamic. On the other hand, I find that wood or vetiver generally unbalances a frag while not making it more dynamic.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Dior Fahrenheit, Hermès Bel Ami and Estee Lauder Azurée.

  6. #6
    volley2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Posts
    5,335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    This is a tough one. I cannot just choose one. I'll just say, someday I would like to own:

    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Guerlain Derby
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Knize Ten

  7. #7
    calero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Perhaps we can draft up an ULTIMATE list of leather fragrances....

    @ subhuman --- I've never thought of Fahrenheit having a leathery accord. I haven't smelled it in years, perhaps I need to re-evaluate.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    C'est Magique

  9. #9

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    It was a tie between K10 and REL, although I voted K10. To be fair, I'm not familiar with most on the list, however.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

  10. #10
    calero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    It was a tie between K10 and REL, although I voted K10. To be fair, I'm not familiar with most on the list, however.
    They are so very similar but there is just something missing from REL that makes me pick the K10.

  11. #11
    gandhajala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    For me: Chanel, followed by Guerlain, Knize 10, Caron, Bandit. Haven't tried the others.
    Do love me some leather though.

  12. #12
    noggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dhahran
    Posts
    4,694
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    I voted for Creed REL, but it could've just as easily been one of the others.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Quote Originally Posted by calero
    @ subhuman --- I've never thought of Fahrenheit having a leathery accord. I haven't smelled it in years, perhaps I need to re-evaluate.
    Oh, yes. It smells like a warm leather jacket from the middle to the early drydown - incredibly sexy. And The Guide classifies it as a "woody leather", so it's not just me and my apparent ability to smell leather notes where no one else does. (It's there in Gucci Rush and Chanel Coco, I swear! And Dior Homme? So leathery! Why are you all looking at me like that?!)

  14. #14
    calero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Ahhh, Gucci Rush. I might have just one little spray left.

  15. #15
    Buzzlepuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    central Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,045
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    I picked OR Black because it was my favorite fragrance of the group - but it is definitely not my favorite leather. Leather is not a faovorite note of mine, but I like leather as a secondary aspect in the drydown of an interesting fragrance like Morabito Or Black. For lovers of leather fragrance I heartily recommend any of the new oud leather fragrances that have emerged. Oud works so wonderfully to create a leather note. The best oud leathers are: Christian Dior Leather Oud, Byredo Accord Oud and Bond No. 9 Harrod's Ltd. Edition (Oud).

  16. #16
    N_Tesla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Golden West
    Posts
    4,587
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    I voted for Cuir de Lancome. Great stuff at a bargain price.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oslo
    Posts
    6,685
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    I`m not a big fan of plain leather scents, but I like scents with a hint of leather, such as Parfumerie Generale Corps et Ames and Hermes Bel Ami.
    -I would very much like to test REL, but where can I get a sample? Creedboutique doesn`t ship to scandinavia, Luckyscent doesn`t carry REL, and I don`t think I can order a sample from Raffy..

  18. #18
    rickbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    São Paulo
    Posts
    2,272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    My favorite leathers are:
    Tabac Blond
    Cuir de Russie - Chanel
    Cuir de Russie - Creed

  19. #19
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    From your poll, Tuscan Leather.

    I also like Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  20. #20
    Ken_Russell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sibiu
    Posts
    17,616
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    From this list - a close competition between Knize Ten and Creed REL

  21. #21

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    For what i know:
    Tabac blonc
    Cuir mauresque
    Gomma

    I haven't smelled Scandal yet, the legendary leather :-)

  22. #22

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    My top 3 leathers in no particular order ...

    Helmut Lang - Cuiron
    Heeley - Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Mona di Orio - Cuir

  23. #23
    SoGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    1,380
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    My top 3 leathers in no particular order ...

    Helmut Lang - Cuiron
    Heeley - Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Mona di Orio - Cuir
    bump for these + none meet the Patou PH standard IMO

  24. #24
    MikeNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    1,103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    I'll always have a soft spot for REL. It was my first Creed and given to me by someone special. It's also a gorgeous, sexy scent.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,214
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    From that list, Derby - although I'm waiting on a sample to test Knize Ten, and God-and-Sorcery-of-Scent-willing, I will be winning a bottle of Xerjoff Homme soon!

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Szeged
    Posts
    2,291
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Although not on the list, Aigner Black Man.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    2,869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    I am a big fan of fragrances with leather accord(s) in the base. Yatagan and Aramis fit the bill just fine, as does R de Capucci!

  28. #28
    calero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Oh God, I forgot to add Cuiron!! >_<

  29. #29
    SmellChaser
    scentsitivity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,355
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    From your list, Derby. I think I like Montale's Aoud Leather best though.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    My favs?

    Cuir de Lancome
    Cuir Mauresque
    Cuir Ottoman
    Cabochard
    Jolie Madame
    Kelly Caleche EDT
    Derby
    Knize Ten
    Habit Rouge in all its forms
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  31. #31

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Cuir de Lancome was my first leather love.
    I also love Tabac Blond, Chanel CdR, PG Cuir d'Iris, PG Pschyotrope, Tuscan Leather, Dzing, Cuir Mauresque, Onda, Patchouli 24 and Idole de Lubin.
    I have and love Derby and Bandit, but they're much more chypre than leather to my nose.
    Errr...yeah I like my leather

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    2,403
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Cuir Ottoman and Dzing! (Neither are on the list, though.)

  33. #33
    calero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Tuscan Leather must be serious. Perhaps I need to go down the street to Neiman's and smell it.

  34. #34
    Weimar27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansdowne Pennsylvania
    Posts
    642
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Bandit is the dominatrix of all leather
    and her lovely younger and kittenish
    Sister Cabochard airer and clinical
    then the powerful B.D.S.M Tigress
    of Bandit it puts men in their place.

  35. #35

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    2,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    I wanted to vote but my beloved Xerjoff Homme wasn't listed.

  36. #36
    mtgprox05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Cuir Ottoman and Cuir d'Iris
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  37. #37
    pcrisp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Marion, Indiana
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    My favorite leather? Apparently I haven't found it yet! Let me slightly hijack this thread with my short rant.

    I have samples of the following (and probably many more I am forgetting about, I'm not at home to look through my vials) that supposedly are leather or have a lot of leather in them:
    Cuir Ottoman, Cuir d'Iris, Knize Ten, Royal English Leather, Cuir Mauresque, Helmut Lang Cuiron, Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur, Mona di Orio Cuir, Cuir Codoba, Mark Birley Charles Street, Odori Cuoio, Nasomatto Duro, Lonestar Memories, and then a bunch of scents that have "leather" as an ingredient.

    OK, my background..... I love leather stuff and leather smells. I have SUVs from Acura and BMW that both have leather seats, I enjoy my soft leather couch, leather chair in the bedroom, I have an old leather jacket, softball glove, wallet, shoes, belts, etc. All of these real leather products smell like...... you guessed it.... LEATHER. All of the colognes that I have mentioned above smelled absolutely NOTHING like "real" leather products smell. What the heck is the deal? Obviously, I have tried my best to find something that actually captures the smell of real leather, but apparently these manufacturers have a common idea that is much different than what the real thing smells like. Almost all of the scents listed above have a similarly unique smell that is being classified as "leather" but sadly, they aren't what I'm looking for. In fact, most are pretty bad stinkers to me because I was hoping for a legit leather smell. The exceptions for this stinkiness are Charles Street (very good scent, but not much leather going on) and Mona di Orio Cuir (I have mentioned before that this is very interesting, but smells like a wet burnt down house, so stinker in a different way). I was also lead to believe that Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia was the scent of a vintage race car (I'm picturing the old leather seat, leather wrapped steering wheel or maybe wooden, and surrounded by an aluminum or stainless steel chassis) Well, nope... it's a vintage race car with you standing by the back tire during a burnout and being splattered with rich fuel and oil exhaust fumes out of the tail pipe. I actually laughed when I first tried it. Interesting for sure.

    Probably the closest thing to a warm leather smell that I really like is John Varvatos original.

    So back to the topic at hand.... anyone have a favorite leather that actually smells like a real leather couch or maybe a leather chair sitting next to a fireplace with some leather bound books? I have several from the poll above that I need to check out, maybe one of them will be the "holy grail".

  38. #38

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    2,869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Have you ever tried Jules by Dior? Has a nice "leather jacket" dry down it is reported.

  39. #39

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Quote Originally Posted by pcrisp View Post
    My favorite leather? Apparently I haven't found it yet! Let me slightly hijack this thread with my short rant.

    I have samples of the following (and probably many more I am forgetting about, I'm not at home to look through my vials) that supposedly are leather or have a lot of leather in them:
    Cuir Ottoman, Cuir d'Iris, Knize Ten, Royal English Leather, Cuir Mauresque, Helmut Lang Cuiron, Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur, Mona di Orio Cuir, Cuir Codoba, Mark Birley Charles Street, Odori Cuoio, Nasomatto Duro, Lonestar Memories, and then a bunch of scents that have "leather" as an ingredient.

    OK, my background..... I love leather stuff and leather smells. I have SUVs from Acura and BMW that both have leather seats, I enjoy my soft leather couch, leather chair in the bedroom, I have an old leather jacket, softball glove, wallet, shoes, belts, etc. All of these real leather products smell like...... you guessed it.... LEATHER. All of the colognes that I have mentioned above smelled absolutely NOTHING like "real" leather products smell. What the heck is the deal? Obviously, I have tried my best to find something that actually captures the smell of real leather, but apparently these manufacturers have a common idea that is much different than what the real thing smells like. Almost all of the scents listed above have a similarly unique smell that is being classified as "leather" but sadly, they aren't what I'm looking for. In fact, most are pretty bad stinkers to me because I was hoping for a legit leather smell. The exceptions for this stinkiness are Charles Street (very good scent, but not much leather going on) and Mona di Orio Cuir (I have mentioned before that this is very interesting, but smells like a wet burnt down house, so stinker in a different way). I was also lead to believe that Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia was the scent of a vintage race car (I'm picturing the old leather seat, leather wrapped steering wheel or maybe wooden, and surrounded by an aluminum or stainless steel chassis) Well, nope... it's a vintage race car with you standing by the back tire during a burnout and being splattered with rich fuel and oil exhaust fumes out of the tail pipe. I actually laughed when I first tried it. Interesting for sure.

    Probably the closest thing to a warm leather smell that I really like is John Varvatos original.

    So back to the topic at hand.... anyone have a favorite leather that actually smells like a real leather couch or maybe a leather chair sitting next to a fireplace with some leather bound books? I have several from the poll above that I need to check out, maybe one of them will be the "holy grail".
    Luca Turin compares Chanel Cuir de Russie to the backseat of his stepfather's Bentley.

    I find Cuir de Lancome, Cuir Pleine Fleur and Cuir Ottoman more like a tack room, rich with horse equipage.
    Last edited by Primrose; 6th January 2011 at 04:18 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  40. #40
    Hob Dobson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,107
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Quote Originally Posted by pcrisp View Post
    OK, my background..... I love leather stuff and leather smells. I have SUVs from Acura and BMW that both have leather seats, I enjoy my soft leather couch, leather chair in the bedroom, I have an old leather jacket, softball glove, wallet, shoes, belts, etc. All of these real leather products smell like...... you guessed it.... LEATHER.
    Why would you expect fragrances from the 1920s, like Knize Ten or Chanel's Cuir de Russie, to smell like modern leather tanned with metallic salts instead of the birch tar and orris used to tan and de-scent the Russian leather in vogue a century ago? Or for English Leather and Cuir Ottoman to smell more like a modern car seat than a tack room?

    As I understand it, "leather" in perfumery is supposed to be an abstract reminder of well-kept leathers, not a reproduction of the tannery, and I think that's where you can get lost in making the comparisons. Beyond making that initial allusion, it's likely no accident that reviewers smell shoe polish in Knize Ten - boots traditionally do require polishing ... or that an Hermes leather scent smells suspiciously like a finished handbag loaded with appropriate cosmetics.

  41. #41
    digger51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,128
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    On the Cheap English Leather

  42. #42
    pcrisp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Marion, Indiana
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hob Dobson View Post
    Why would you expect fragrances from the 1920s, like Knize Ten or Chanel's Cuir de Russie, to smell like modern leather tanned with metallic salts instead of the birch tar and orris used to tan and de-scent the Russian leather in vogue a century ago? Or for English Leather and Cuir Ottoman to smell more like a modern car seat than a tack room?

    As I understand it, "leather" in perfumery is supposed to be an abstract reminder of well-kept leathers, not a reproduction of the tannery, and I think that's where you can get lost in making the comparisons. Beyond making that initial allusion, it's likely no accident that reviewers smell shoe polish in Knize Ten - boots traditionally do require polishing ... or that an Hermes leather scent smells suspiciously like a finished handbag loaded with appropriate cosmetics.
    Maybe it was wishful thinking to find something that smells like "current" leather? haha

    I've been in tack rooms too. It would be great if any of these gave that impression, but they do not, at least not to me.

    Rephrasing my question. Does anyone know of anything that smells like "contemporary" fine leather?

  43. #43
    paolo74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ROMA
    Posts
    275
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    nothing in this list.
    The best leather frag is Versace Homme.

  44. #44
    DeepSilence
    Guest

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    I didn't try none of them.

    Halston Z-14
    Bvlgari Black

  45. #45

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Quote Originally Posted by pcrisp View Post
    So back to the topic at hand.... anyone have a favorite leather that actually smells like a real leather couch or maybe a leather chair sitting next to a fireplace with some leather bound books? I have several from the poll above that I need to check out, maybe one of them will be the "holy grail".
    I'm surprised you didn't find PG Cuir d'Iris and Cuir Ottoman to smell like real leather. Before I had sampled those two, I had given up on finding the fragrance that actually smells like leather. Bandit...nope. Knize Ten...nope...Derby...nope...Tabac Blond...nope. Those are all wonderful fragrant interpretations of leather. But when I sampled Cd'I and CO, I was floored. It actually smelt like brand new expensive shoes. Cd'I being more leather and CO more suede.

  46. #46
    jshin100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    47
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    I'm looking for more leather scents and glad I stumbled upon this poll!... I have some homework to do!

  47. #47
    pcrisp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Marion, Indiana
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'll have pull out the sample to test d'Iris again and see if I have a new appreciation for it. It's probably been 6 months since I last tried it. Thanks!

  48. #48
    Flaconneur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,193
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Even though it is similar, I can't in good conscious vote for Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather. Clive Christian's "C" has so much more depth and complexity. It is so rich and luscious. Clive Christian "C" is who I unofficially vote for.
    - Expect the unexpected

  49. #49

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Quote Originally Posted by pcrisp View Post
    I'll have pull out the sample to test d'Iris again and see if I have a new appreciation for it. It's probably been 6 months since I last tried it. Thanks!
    Oh please do sample it again! A lot of times with frags, I'm usually perplexed and go wth are they talking about? But get an aha moment only after another BN'er has pointed it out to me. You're most welcome

  50. #50
    SoGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    1,380
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Quote Originally Posted by pcrisp View Post
    Does anyone know of anything that smells like "contemporary" fine leather?
    It's what we're all looking for .... I am at least. So far there isn't much that even comes close.

  51. #51

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Tuscan Leather and my favorite Cuiron.

  52. #52

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Several goodies on that list. It's missing Creed Cuir de Russie, which is deadly serious leather (see Fugazi's review - he's right about that). And SL's Daim Blond, which is suede - another category entirely, perhaps, but a favorite when I want leather.

  53. #53

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Royal English Leather.
    Want to run with the big dogs stop pooping like a puppy!

  54. #54
    sarıpatates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    2,463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    I thought Parfum d'Habit would be included in a heavyweight leather fisticuffs

  55. #55
    calero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Cuir Ottoman--- worth the $75? Or should I buy Cuir Mauresque???

  56. #56

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    Cuir Ottoman--- worth the $75? Or should I buy Cuir Mauresque???
    Cuir Ottoman.

  57. #57
    pcrisp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Marion, Indiana
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well, I tried d'Iris again. It's still not doing anything for me. Nothing close to what I want in a "leather" but it also has that similar scent that all of these have that I just don't like. I also tried my Cuir Mauresque sample on the other arm tonight. It too has this weird note like all the others. I have thought hard about it and finally came up with what it smells like. I'm picturing the scent of melted band-aids. Weird? Yes, but that's what it smells like. As always, to each their own and that's what makes this a great hobby!

  58. #58
    calero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Added Cuir Ottoman to the shopping cart. Still contemplating.......

  59. #59

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Sometimes it's easier to say which one is not a fav for me, and that would be SL Cuir Mauresque (there's something in it that reminds me of the smell of the fake gummy type worms used for fishing) but I do enjoy the peachy "suede" Daim Blond a lot. I can't weigh in because I haven't smelled Cuir de Russie nor Tabac Blond (I know) so I don't feel good about voting (though I do love TF Tuscan Leather). All that said, my favorite leather so far, one I simply can't get enough of, is Etat Libre d'Orange Rien. It's intoxicating. It really does smell like a head shop, and I love it.

  60. #60

    Default Re: Which is your favorite LEATHER?

    Quote Originally Posted by pcrisp View Post
    Well, I tried d'Iris again. It's still not doing anything for me. Nothing close to what I want in a "leather" but it also has that similar scent that all of these have that I just don't like. I also tried my Cuir Mauresque sample on the other arm tonight. It too has this weird note like all the others. I have thought hard about it and finally came up with what it smells like. I'm picturing the scent of melted band-aids. Weird? Yes, but that's what it smells like. As always, to each their own and that's what makes this a great hobby!
    It's always great to hear other people's intakes on one of your favorites and as you said, to each their own
    I wonder if it's the iris in Cd'I and CM that doesn't go along with you. I find iris plays an integral role in leather fragrances because iris root is buttery and slightly leathery in its own right. Try to find a leather with little or no iris and then see it that floats your boat. My suggestions would include Dzing, Onda, Idole and Pschyotrope (weird jasmine, vinyl patent leather; AMAZING!)

Similar Threads

  1. Etat Libre d'Orange: Leather, leather, everywhere
    By Kevin Guyer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 13th July 2011, 11:27 PM
  2. Favorite leather scent?
    By socalwoman in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 6th January 2011, 06:19 PM
  3. Leather in Miss Boucheron? Just how much leather?
    By Primrose in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13th October 2010, 11:41 PM
  4. Aigner In Leather vs. Royal English Leather
    By the_good_life in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 24th July 2006, 09:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •