Code of Conduct

Default Do you not wash your hands?

So I often read about where to spray your perfumes be it edc, edt, edp, etc.

On the neck, behind the ear, the back of the neck, the chest, the elbows, your arms.

And your wrist.

Whilst I understand the strategy of the pulse point on your wrist...

Don't you wash your hands during the day?

It would never occur to me to use my wrist as a place to spray a fragrance because a couple hours later it would be washed off.

I sometimes spray slightly above the wrists.

The amount of people - I should be specific and say men - who I witness who do not wash their hands after going to the washroom is always quite stunning to me and definitely disturbing.

Now Basenotes strikes me as a place where some very clean fold reside. People who are so interested and devoted to smelling great must surely wash their hands after doing their business.

Care to comment?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you not wash your hands?

What do you consider your wrist?

While anatomically the carpal bones are lower toward the hand, to me the "wrist" is the area above, i.e. further up the arm than, the bony protrusion that is the end of the ulna (on the back of your forearm, same side as your little finger.)

That is also where I wear my watch, and it is not a part I routinely wash after using the restroom, being more a part of my forearm than my hand. I don't spray perfume over my watch of course, but on the inside of the wrist, over the pulse, yes, sometimes. That is also not part of the hand, not used in toileting, therefore not dirty.

You make sense. I guess I wash around the wrist are too. But what you say is sensible. Maybe I am just overly fastidious - but I would generally was around that area too when I am washing my hands.

I wash my hands up to the elbow at least twice during the day, so I either reapply afterwards or spritz elsewhere.

Blog Entries

Well now when I'm cooking I do make a mess higher up the arm sometimes, and then I have to remove my watch and wash my forearms.

I never wear smelly on my arms anyway ....

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

My work requires repeated handwashing, sometimes 50-60 times a day. So, I do occasionally wrist apply fragrance but only on non-workdays where I can drop back to a more normal handwashing count.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Sur la Plage

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rescentment View Post
    So I often read about where to spray your perfumes be it edc, edt, edp, etc.

On the neck, behind the ear, the back of the neck, the chest, the elbows, your arms.

And your wrist.

Whilst I understand the strategy of the pulse point on your wrist...

Don't you wash your hands during the day?

It would never occur to me to use my wrist as a place to spray a fragrance because a couple hours later it would be washed off.

I sometimes spray slightly above the wrists.

The amount of people - I should be specific and say men - who I witness who do not wash their hands after going to the washroom is always quite stunning to me and definitely disturbing.

Now Basenotes strikes me as a place where some very clean fold reside. People who are so interested and devoted to smelling great must surely wash their hands after doing their business.

Care to comment?
    I always spray the back of my neck on each side.....In warmer weather I will spray the top of my fore*arm.....I must also agree with Your comment about Men who do not wash as they leave the restroom.....I am always shocked by this for sure.....I only spray the back of my hands when I sample a new sent!
    I used to spray the back of my hands and I had a real problem with dry skin and irritation.....The back of my hands would itch and drive me crazy.....Great topic!!!
    Gary

Wash my hands several times a day but routinely not as far up as where I apply my fragrance.

Blog Entries

There will never be another Seinfeld. Boo.
    Everyone is somebody's weirdo.

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    I wash my hands up to the elbow at least twice during the day, so I either reapply afterwards or spritz elsewhere.
    Are you a veterinarian? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by warlord View Post
    lol

My guess would be a practicing muslim.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    Ah yes, you might be right. Hope my comment was not taken as an offense.

I apply about 4 inches above the wrist for this exact reason, and I don't think sillage is significantly impacted.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I never apply to the wrist unless testing a sample
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Seinfeld Video
    Ha ha!

Good point... I, and many others, apply on the inside of our arms between the elbow and the wrist. This way you can still wash your hands and it will not wash you fragrance off.

If I wash my hands inevitably any fragrance applied on my wrist, unless well up toward my elbow, will fade. Then it's time to re-spray.

- regards
    FOR SALE CHEAP !!.....two blind buys that didn't work for me : 4.2oz CORDUROY by Zirh EDT and 3.4 oz CADILLAC EDT; both like new !

@Rescentment - yep hand washing is a fundamental part of hygiene. So, spraying on the wrist is a waste of time.

The question them becomes where to apply:

Chandler Burr says:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/225...March-GQ-%28US

Where and How to Apply
    1. The tops of your forearms - and skip your wrists.
    2. On either side of your neck.
    3. A shot inside your T-shirt and down your back.

Dior say:

http://www.dior.com/beauty/int/en/fr...fragrance.html

PERFUME
    Perfume, also referred to as perfume extract, enjoys long-lasting hold. It is the most powerful and purest type of perfume.
    A delicate trace of perfume on the skin is enough: on the neck, inside the wrists, décolleté and even behind the knees. These pulse points allow the fragrance to open further.

EAU DE PARFUM
    Eau de parfum has a high perfume content and comes in two forms: bottle or spray.
    From a bottle, dab the fragrance onto the skin. Or spray the fragrance into the air and walk into it.

EAU DE TOILETTE
    Eau de toilette is lighter and can be used more generously than an eau de parfum.
    It is generally used in the morning: spray the eau de toilette around you and lightly spritz it into your hair for lasting hold.

Roja Dove says:

http://www.instylemag.com.au/Article...with-Roja-Dove

"An eau de toilette or eau de parfum should be applied all over the body with a little scent applied to the wrists, the inside of the elbow, and the hollow of the collar-bone. Once you have applied it use the body cream or lotion to 'lock' the fragrance in place. Always use the cream last as the alcohol in the fragrance will damage it and it will not be so effective."

I generally apply 2 sprays to my chest and one to the back of my neck/head for better sillage. Depending on the scent, I might spray one the top of my forearm and press it against my other forearm to apply scent there. I wash my hands throughout the day, mainly because I deal with people and cosmetics so I find I must be clean at all times.

As mentioned by the great Katie Pucrick, she mentioned the topic of spraying pulse points because they are "warmer." She responded with "I think I'm warm everywhere."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post

EAU DE TOILETTE
    Eau de toilette is lighter and can be used more generously than an eau de parfum.
    It is generally used in the morning: spray the eau de toilette around you and lightly spritz it into your hair for lasting hold.
    Does anybody use this technique?

I have never heard it before..seems a bit odd to me!

I spray fragrance into my air depending on the scent. Problem is, the alcohol will dry your hair out so you have to be careful. Otherwise, the oils in your hair capture and hold scent nicely.

it's actually one of the oldest methods of using fragrances.
    wearing it on beard or hair.

Hmmm..interesting.

I don't normally sport a beard and I wear product in my hair which will undoubtedly affect the scent in some way but I will try this technique out, see if it works for me!

I spray my hair too.
    Evenstar

I use the inside of my wrists to transfer fragrance to my neck, the crooks of my arms and other places. Generally I like having fragrance on the inside of my wrists, as a nice, easily accessible place to smell it myself, and many more tenacious fragrances don't disappear completely until after several hand washes; but, yes, of course it gets washed off rather fast.

I spray it in my hair too, lasts all day and gives nice sillage.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Oh boy don't get me started on washing hands. Having OCD, I wash my hands far more times during the day than the average person. Spraying my wrists would essentially be pointless for me.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I dont spray hands/arms anymore

Two of the places I spray are the backs of the upper forearms. I don't bother with the wrists and don't have a problem washing hands.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Oh boy don't get me started on washing hands. Having OCD, I wash my hands far more times during the day than the average person. Spraying my wrists would essentially be pointless for me.
    You don't need OCD to wash hands a lot-- you just need to be the family food-preparer, aware of all the bacterial contamination of raw meat, eggs, on the surface of fruits (I scrub cantaloupes before slicing them due to proven risk of salmonella), germs on the fridge door handle (it's the second most germy thing in the kitchen, the sink being the worst-- and there are more bacteria in the average sink than in the average toilet bowl) etc. It may seem excessive but we never get food poisoning.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    Yes.

Ah yes, you might be right. Hope my comment was not taken as an offense.
    Not at all. I lol-ed actually, as I have some friends working in veterinary and animal husbandry, so I got what you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by TMA View Post
    Does anybody use this technique?

I have never heard it before..seems a bit odd to me!
    I sometimes spritz to my back from above the head, and some get into my hair.