Code of Conduct

Default Do you find Perfect fragrances Boring?

OK, in real life, if something is (near) perfect, it is often boring. We often like a challenge and feel fulfilled after we tame it. Better yet, if it can never be totally tamed, our interest stays. Whereas if it's perfect/already done for you, you don't appreciate it.

So, in fragrances, I must say the same applies to me. Some scents that blew me away initially, which I adored dearly, soon became a little boring. It's like, OK I know it's perfect, now I want something different. So I go after other scents that are more rough, or challengingly complex, or even the ones I hate but still find interesting.

Anyone else do this?
    Last edited by karisuma; 4th January 2011 at 02:13 PM.

Default Re: Do you know some Perfect fragrances that are boring?

infusion de homme prada
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garšons man 2

Default Re: Do you find Perfect fragrances Boring?

I have never found any fragrance to be perfect and if I did would not bore me.

Would Jessica Alba be boring?
    Neither are really good fragrances.

I understand your point but in my brain, something boring just can't be perfect.
    If something really deserved to be called "perfect" (and I don't know if it's possible), it wouldn't be disturbing in ANY way.

But I have to say, when I entered the world of fragrances and discovered L'instant de Guerlain PH, I thought it could become "perfect" for me, but it didn't. I still enjoy it a lot but what I enjoy the most is the variety and the choice when it comes to choose which one I want to wear.
    So I can't have a "perfect scent", but maybe I could have a "perfect" collection, though

Blog Entries

I must be pickier than most because I think there are very few "perfect" scents (judging only by technical merit, perfect = long lasting, good-smelling, constantly changing but without any awkward phases, no off-notes, with a concentration that perfectly suits the ingredients, clever or unexpected juxtapositions that actually work, and all done without my own personal laundry list of bad notes that I consider cheapening or annoying).

As such, the very few scents that I'd consider perfect don't bore me, which I suppose is part of the definition of a perfect scent, as Scentational said. That being said, there are scents I consider technically perfect that I can't wear or just don't like (Musc Ravageur springs to mind), but they're certainly not boring.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

For me, in 98% of fragrances there is a little annoyance in some phase of the fragrance. Off-note or some other flaw, which I often only notice after several wearings. This obviously is not the only criterion of a great fragrance. It's rather something that separate the greatest ones from a big bunch of good fragrances. This could be said to be flawlessness or maybe technical perfection.

In a way I see what you are getting at, but I don't find perfect fragrances boring. The difference could be in the way we understand certain concepts. I'll explain. I'd say my absolute favourites are flawless and perfect for my nose. Then again, there are fragrances that are flawless but not perfect - these can be boring. I'm thinking for example about a fragrance that is lemon essential oil and nothing else - no flaws. My point is, that perfect fragrance has to have some positive attributes. It's not only lack of negative aspects, as it is with the word flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Would Jessica Alba be boring?
    Neither are really good fragrances.
    I would say she's extremely likely to be dull as dishwater.

Yes, I sometimes find perfect fragrances boring - or flawless, as Johnny Ludlow put it. There are fragrances I find beautiful, but not very compelling, and others that somehow grate a little in a way that makes me want to sniff it again, and again, and again. I'm far more likely to end up owning the fascinating fragrance than the beautiful one.

Sur la Plage

No.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have never found any fragrance to be perfect and if I did would not bore me.

This.
    Smellin good

I fully understand the OP's point and tend to agree - scents that just smell damn good but don't really have any odd twists or present any challenges do tend to be scents that I enjoy but don't wear so often.

A perfect example of the opposite - a beautiful but quirky scent is Opus III by Amouage. Opus III features an opening which is chaotic and smells vaguely like urine soaked hay, but it resolves quickly into something beautiful. At first I was repulsed by the opening but now find it to be an interesting challenge. I am sure though, that if the challenging phase lasted say, 15-30 minutes or more instead of the minute or two it does last, I wouldn't find it 'interestingly challenging' but instead just tiresome.

I also feel like I can't pin down Reflection Man despite wearing it probably 100 times in the last year. It behaves differently on me quite often, and I honestly can say I still don't fully understand the scent and that is a big part of why I love it so much. Its beauty transcends my ability to understand it logically, and that is a wonderful thing.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Who likes nice guys?
    I absolutely would want some sort of intrigue.
    I dislike gray, but I like black and white in balance.

Blog Entries

I find that if it doesn't make me have to think or go what in the hell is this?! Or have to sample it more, or when I wear it, I find something new every time, I find it boring. If it doesn't keep me guessing, I don't like it

Basenotes Institution

Is there anything perfect in this world ? Perfection is relative to me I guess. Anyway , I think I'd find the 'perfect ' scent completely fascinating and ask myself ...... "How did they do that ? " Over and over .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Last edited by Descartes; 26th March 2013 at 10:19 PM.

I do not find "perfect fragrances" boring. I do, however, classify a couple of fragrances in my wardrobe as "interesting". Those being R de Capucci and Breath of God. Of course, this is all subjective and one person's perfect could be another's "meh".

I read perfect as, vice-less here. like a polished, speckless marble sphere, or a kid who acts exactly as he's told.

I think I would like a perfect fragrance, but I'm not sure it exists, especially at the perfect price.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

No, because a great frag has to NOT be boring to me! LOL.

Do I find fragrances that are perfect for me boring ?
    Heck no.

In time, do I get bored with fragrances ?
    Yes, this does happen, it's human nature to seek, to discover something new, and if you have that feeling about a frag you used to love, stay a month away from it, then give it a try then and see if you are still bored
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I haven't smelled a perfect fragrance I don't think....not in perfumery at least. But to undercut the specific assertion....Imperfections do not equate to interest of intrigue for me.

The perfect fragrance is a cure for boredom!

I'm with the OP in that many scents that strike me initially as "perfect", whatever it means, tend to go blah after a while. Beauty, on the other hand, may be difficult to spot right away but to me, it is always imperfect in some way.