Code of Conduct

Default Crown Perfumery, building up a nice collection

Hi folks, this is for the Crown fans out there!

Slowly, I'm building up a collection of this house's wonderful scents. Here's a photo of what I have so far:

From left, Clive Christian Number 1, Crown Fougère, Crown Sandringham, Crown Imperial, Crown Park Royal, Crown Eau de Russe, Clive Christian X.

I'm definitely interested in hearing from other Basenoters who have Crown scents.

Tom

Default Re: Crown Perfumery, building up a nice collection

Well, the bottles look regal, but I've yet to hear anything about this line. I've heard of Clive Christian though?

That's a nice collection, Tom. As you know, I have several Crowns and enjoy them, they were good value.
    The short story on Crown is that it was an old British company, contemporary with Penhaligons and Geo. F. Trumper. Their fortunes fell and the name and bottle design were bought by Clive Christian. However, the Anglo-Germany company Anglia also offers revamped versions of Crown Perfumery scents. I've never been able to compare Crown vs. Anglia, but I have a feeling that the Anglia are much weaker and less pleasing.
    There is a discussion social group for Crown here on Basenotes, check the group section. :-)
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Crown got their start as corset makers for small-busted women...and I venture to say some well-heeled men. (Men wore corsets well through the 19th century, with the heyday in the 1830s and 1840s.) I am not making this up!

A look at Prince Albert Victor shows his slender and elegant figure. His grandfather, Prince Albert, the consort of Queen Victoria, was know for his small waist, much admired at the time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pr...2818_-1881.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pr...lbert-1842.jpg

Yes, the Anglia company has taken up the old scents as OdyM states.

Thomas, thank you for checking back in.

I enjoy Sandringham and Park Royal, with a greater love for Sandringham.

Here is the link to the history:

http://www.basenotes.net/columnists/...tes-apr03.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 5th January 2011 at 03:56 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Crown was a good one. I would try to get Town & Country--it's a richer version of Blenheim Bouquet.

I have Sandringham and love it. Clive Christian based 1872 for men on Sandringham to a large extent and THAT BIG price tag on it.
    I have both and love them dearly but won't but 1872 for that price agin.

Recently in London, I was cajoled by an eager SA into trying the Clive Christians and, honestly, I find them to be no more than sub-par contemporary perfumes, with far too many conventional synthetics to justify their price. Pure sales gimmickry, none of the quality of a good Guerlain, Malle, Different Company, or to remain in Britain, neither the daring to do old-fashioned good, like Grossmith, or the oil quality of Essentially Me, or quality modern-retro, like the two oustanding Burberrys, Brit and London.

However, I heartily congratuialte you on your collection of Crowns, which are a nice example of how you can revive old formulas with a quality orientation (and go bust in the process ). I am a proud owner of Town& Country, Spiced Limes, Eau de Quinine, and Fougère (a dozen vials). I can't wear Sandringham any longer (allergic reaction - cough), the synthetic muguet gets me, and I could never warm up to Park Royal and Marquis. Marechal Original is a beautiful rose, Eau de Russe I recall as being delightful and I have yet to try Buckingham. Ah yes, Sumare is a very well executed, though not overly exciting, spicy oriental. The feminines I am not acquainted with.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Park Royal (1929)
    by Anglia Perfumery (orig. by Crown Perfumery)

I've got this one and enjoy it for the clove/nutmeg (similar to Dunhill's Edition and Halston's Catalyst in that regard). Another post re lime had me visit their site (well, the Anglia site) and I've got 9 samples coming.

I too have a hge collection of the crown scents. I have every one of them but the one I am most proud to own is Marquis. I own 4 of the last bottles (i belive on earth)

The simply has to be one of the best green scents ever created. i absolutly love this scent. Crown fougere as well as sandringham are also quite lovely. In general I find the line so well made with quality materials and great longevity. You can smell the history in the line.

I own Eau de Russe and Crown Ess Bouquet. About seven years ago bottles of Crown went for £1.50 for 50mls, that is what I paid for mine. I bought a few and gave away only really loving the Eau de Russe and Ess Bouquet, I even have back up bottles as they where so cheap to buy.
    DONNA

I love all the Crowns I have ever tried and take great pride in all of them I own.
    I love Jasmine.

Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.
    Regards,
    Jani

"It is easy to find something to die for. What do you have to live for?"
    The First One.

I have Sandringham, my fav, and also Crown Park Royal. Crown Bouquet and Malabar are less complex and very floral.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Great collection, Tom. Those bottles just look class.

If anyone has anything to say of Buckingham, please let me ( and all of us know). There are 3 reviews in the directory, but would like to hear anyone elses thoughts ( Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread )
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !