Code of Conduct

Default Flowers for Boys

Could you guys help me discover complex floral fragrances for men? I mean, those fragrances that were developed specifically for men, with a predominance of floral notes in their formulas.

Please do not list fragrances that have only one floral note. I need a bouquet. Also, please do not list fragrances where rose is dominant.

Which fragrances fulfill these requirements?
    Last edited by Antinous of Bithynia; 26th January 2011 at 11:50 PM.

Default Re: Flowers for Boys

Gold for Men by Amouage
    Luric for Men by Amouage
    Czech and Speake 88
    Kenzo Power
    Floris No 89
    Ungaro III
    Last edited by volley2; 27th January 2011 at 02:05 AM.

carons the third man

Just In Time by Parfums Prestige

DeepSilence

1+ Givenchy Insense

Dukes of Pall Mall Cotswold (Muguet/Jasmine) if you can find it.

Hammam Bouquet, by Penhaligon, seems a good choice. Released in the 1860s to commemorate the Turkish baths that were enjoying some vogue on the street of Mr. Penhaligon's perfumery. Some think it an Orientalist fragrance, but I respectfully dissent. The present formulation seems very British, turning neither eye toward the East.

I think it can ultimately be considered a dialectical bouquet of rose and lavender, each 'side' nuanced by other notes (the lavender by bergamot, and the rose by jasmine). Their interweaving is very interesting. At least, it keeps me entertained over the 5-6 hours it lasts.

The top notes really are beautiful, and prefigures everything to come apart from the very end. It starts off impeccably masculine - the lavender is reserved, and holds the rose in stalemate. It makes me think of Art Nouveau, to a lesser extent the Pre-Raphaelite. If the figures (particularly the angelical ones) in the borders designed by Edward Burne-Jones wore a scent, it might well be this one.

The heart notes are just a subtler extension of the top ones. One has to work a little more to work out what is producing the effect - but, when one does, one discovers it is the same mechanism.

After 6 hours, the rose wins, and lingers very faintly, with a frisson of powder, until the fragrance is no longer detectable. Not objectionable, by any means, but I think it a dissapointment after the complexity of the top and heart notes. Better for cool weather. It can be worn in the heat, but the notes blur a little.

I recommend it.
    Last edited by Merely; 27th January 2011 at 03:11 AM.

I really enjoy Odin 04 - Petrana. Iris, violet leaf, heliotrope, some light fruits, but not sweet. Perhaps not "made for a man", but easily enjoyed by one.

I'm going to have to check out Hammam Boquet now, that was an enchanting review above.

I'd be wary of C&S 88 and Lyric Man. Both are very good fragrances, high quality for sure, but both are fairly rose-dominant.

Blenheim Bouquet is a popular choice

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120208.html
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

I did not notice the prohibition on rose; apologies for such carelessness. Though I consider that Hammam Bouquet's rose is locked in a stalemate with its lavender, it is would nevertheless count as a dominant presence.

Nicolaï Patchouli Homme. My SOTD.

Forget about the name, it's just wrong. PH is a superb blend of Lavender, Turkish rose, Geranium Bourbon plus incense and wood notes.

----
    Last edited by Reminiscent; 27th January 2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: duplicate

There are many men's florals.

Ralph Lauren for Men has a wonderful light floral vibe.

+1 each for Richard James EDT (tuberose), Insense and Le Troisieme Homme.

The discontinued Crown Perfumery Sandringham has a lily of the valley note.

D. R. Harris Mayfair. Strong floral of jasmine, rose, orange blossom and musk. This is not for the shy! It has knockdown power of a .44 Magnum round!

Arsene Lupin Le Dandy by Guerlain. A wonderful, divine violet/leather! (Be warned, the wooden bottle is ugly.)

(I guess you don't want these two florals for men, as they contain rose:

Rose d'Homme by Parfums de Rosine is a rose blend with a little leather.

L'Artisan Parfumeur Voleur de Roses is a rose/patchouli for men.)

If you like florals, wear them--and with enjoyment and without apology! Don't pay attention to the gender label on the bottle. (Some of the greatest dandies--who were also bare-knuckles boxers, sword and pistol duelists, carriage drivers and great horsemen) wore Eau de Cologne and Eau de Jasmine.)

Many of us here on Basenotes wear what we like and ignore the gender label--it's all marketing, anyway.
    Last edited by Primrose; 27th January 2011 at 09:58 PM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Thanks so much, Primrose! I do have Joy de Patou, which is a delicious and delicate jasmine. I love it but I feel shy wearing it. I will try the ones you recommended.

Rose 31 by Le Labo is fab.

Does anyone know anything about Francis Kurkjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme? This has a rose note and sounds a bit like the Le Labo.

Another men's floral is Boucheron Pour Homme in the eau de parfum formula. It is floral/citrus and complex:

Top notes: orange, lavender, mandarin orange, basil, lemon verbena, bergamot and lemon

Middle notes: carnation, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley and rose

Base notes: sandalwood, tonka bean, amber, musk, benzoin, oakmoss, vetiver and incense.
    Last edited by Primrose; 27th January 2011 at 09:57 PM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Rose 31 by Le Labo is fab.

Does anyone know anything about Francis Kurkjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme? This has a rose note and sounds a bit like the Le Labo.
    I think Lumiere Noire PH is outstanding. I'm awaiting my sample of LL Rose 31, so I can't compare the two (it's been done on BN already anyway). I do know (opine) that LNPH is the classiest, most pleasant masculine floral I've sampled since starting this crazy hobby. 10/10 in my book. Didn't mention it earlier, as it is most definitely a rose-dominant composition. Def worth checking out IMO.

Off-Scenter

Leaving out the rose - prominent entries (Lyric, No. 88, Hammam Bouquet, Voleur de Roses, etc.) as per the original poster's request, I'd endorse Insensé, and nominate in addition The Third Man, Ténéré, Jardin du Nil, Czech & Speake Neroli, Fleur du Mâle, Magnolia Romana (unisex), and Padme Lotus (also unisex).

+1 to the old dog's suggestion for Magnolia Romana, & Fleur du Male.

Another one that I consider floral without it been a solifrore is Amouage Ciel.

Does L'Ombre Dans L'eau count for you?

Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme. 10/10