Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1

    Default Your fragrance should match your personality!

    im starting to think that what fragrance you choose to wear should match the type of person you are. i hate to say this but shouldnt your fragrance be an accessory to your clothes and personality regardless if it's a masterpiece or not?

    i mean i might be insecure but i dont want to smell like an old man or a woman, no offence to old men or women. it seems like a lot of people here talk about certain fragrances as if there the best thing since pants with pockets and i think to myself "are u a 47 year old woman?"

    if your 25 and you smell like my grandmas purse because the fragrances reviews or reputation than thats on you but im not going to.

    edit: i no longer think this. thank you slushiex for that a-ha moment and grotola too. you guys are the real reason basenotes is still active.
    Last edited by Dixon Cider; 5th January 2011 at 06:31 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Your post title "Your fragrance should match your personality!" suggests that your actual post will be about personality and not age.

    You then make a statement but don't clarify how you're inviting comment.

    In a nutshell: "What's your point?"...

  3. #3

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    I think I get what you were trying to say Dixon and I agree to a point. You wouldn't normally associate powerful and peppery fragrances with a guy who chills on the beach and catches some rays, but then again, he might rule the night scene and such a scent would fit perfectly in that mood.. I think people are so multifaceted and so dimensional that different scents work for different aspects of a persons nature.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    The subject of fragrances are completely subjective, no doubt about that. What is interested to me is what elements people find themselves drawn to in fragrances. This might be conceived as creating a fragrance profile or a fragrance personality for yourself. Mine seems to be stuck in the 17th century. I guess that makes me an old man.
    - Expect the unexpected

  5. #5

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Your post title "Your fragrance should match your personality!" suggests that your actual post will be about personality and not age.

    You then make a statement but don't clarify how you're inviting comment.

    In a nutshell: "What's your point?"...
    the point is i believe your fragrance should match who you are regardless of its reputation. do you have an opinion on that?

  6. #6
    Neurosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I don't have the accent, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Thierry Mugler seems to fit my personality in general. Something about those fragrances are just ME.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dixon Cider View Post
    i mean i might be insecure but i dont want to smell like an old man or a woman, no offence to old men or women. it seems like a lot of people here talk about certain fragrances as if there the best thing since pants with pockets and i think to myself "are u a 47 year old woman?"
    This "old man/woman" concept depends only of YOU. It's all in YOUR brain.
    I think you associate some smells with a group of people, because in YOUR life you smelled those smells/notes on those specific people.
    If your mother wore Le Male (yeah I swear some women wear it) since its launching, maybe you would say it's a very feminine frag.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dixon Cider View Post
    the point is i believe your fragrance should match who you are regardless of its reputation. do you have an opinion on that?
    Yep, I do.

    I can see where you're coming from. There's an assumption on your behalf where a link occurs between a fragrance type and a demographic.

    I find that limiting.

    People should wear what they like, not what's prescribed.

    Cheers, J

  9. #9

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    ok i just used old men and women as an example but i mean the same could be said about a tough looking guy with a feminine fragrance. or anything with patchouli in it and someone with style, jk.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Yep, I do.

    I can see where you're coming from. There's an assumption on your behalf where a link occurs between a fragrance type and a demographic.

    I find that limiting.

    People should wear what they like, not what's prescribed.

    Cheers, J
    although limiting i think most people associate certain notes equally. for instance most people associate floral with feminine, no?
    Last edited by Dixon Cider; 5th January 2011 at 07:12 AM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dixon Cider View Post
    although limiting shared buy most likely the majority of current western civilization. for instance most people associate floral with feminine, no?
    Should I wear what most people think I should, or should I wear what I like? That is the question...
    Last edited by jathanas; 5th January 2011 at 03:33 AM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    It's not about reputation or reviews. You should wear what you enjoy.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    you can wear whatever you want but just because i like the smell of my grandmas purse that doesn't mean i want to smell like it
    Last edited by Dixon Cider; 5th January 2011 at 03:34 AM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    I don't let my decision making get to complicted....if it smells good, particularly on me, and it's within budget I buy. Sure, my mood certainly will influence what I may wear at the time.

    One of benefits of getting older is you tend to care less and less what others think, and more inclined to please yourself rather than looking for approval from others.

    - regards
    Last edited by Diamondback; 5th January 2011 at 03:45 AM.
    FOR SALE CHEAP !!.....two blind buys that didn't work for me : 4.2oz CORDUROY by Zirh EDT and 3.4 oz CADILLAC EDT; both like new !

  15. #15

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dixon Cider View Post
    you can wear whatever you want but just because i like the smell of my grandmas purse that doesn't mean i want to smell like it
    But what if you wanted to smell like "grandma's purse"? Should peer group pressure prevent you from wearing it? Just sayin'...

  16. #16

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    IOne of benefits of getting older is you tend to care less and less what others think, and more inclined to please yourself rather than looking for approval from others.
    Indeed.
    (said with an evil smile while sniffing my ancient 40 year old self)
    I wonder which part of my personality and life experience (us old folks tend to have quite a bit of that) should match my fragrance choices. Maybe that's why manyof us amassed such huge collections

  17. #17

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    can you imagine a 16 year old school girl wearing 10 sprays of kouros on her first date? lmao

  18. #18
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & B˙zios
    Posts
    79,659

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    One of benefits of getting older is you tend to care less and less what others think, and more inclined to please yourself rather than looking for approval from others.
    Very true.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dixon Cider View Post
    can you imagine a 16 year old school girl wearing 10 sprays of kouros on her first date? lmao
    Not really. Maybe Yatagan.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    i know an old man that smells like piss and he could careless what people think. i give him major props tho

  21. #21

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Dixon, i understand what you are saying that fragrances sometime have certain vibes to it, and yes imo some frags do seem to fit more than others, but i feel also that, for the most part ANYONE can pull off almost every fragrance as long as they have the confidence too. Anyone can adapt to different auras also (if you get what i mean by auras).

    however all in all, who really cares? If you like a fragrances go wear it, go buy it, go smell it, do whatever you like with it. Old man or not, you like it wear it. Don't care too much about what others think. Sometimes, thats the best way to get attention anyway if you want something that will be memorable.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Quote Originally Posted by Slushiex3 View Post
    Dixon, i understand what you are saying that fragrances sometime have certain vibes to it, and yes imo some frags do seem to fit more than others, but i feel also that, for the most part ANYONE can pull off almost every fragrance as long as they have the confidence too. Anyone can adapt to different auras also (if you get what i mean by auras).

    however all in all, who really cares? If you like a fragrances go wear it, go buy it, go smell it, do whatever you like with it. Old man or not, you like it wear it. Don't care too much about what others think. Sometimes, thats the best way to get attention anyway if you want something that will be memorable.
    real talk i think you made the best point and i feel you on being adaptable. i knew you were from the bay, im high right now too and all that talk about auras and confidence made a lot of sense. much props cutthoat

  23. #23

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Dixon kid, STOP pigeonholing the world. Scratch those silly labels and wear what pleases you. Perfume aficionados don't give a flying squirrel what the other unknowing multitude think of their smell. You gotta lot to learn.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    Dixon kid, STOP pigeonholing the world. Scratch those silly labels and wear what pleases you. Perfume aficionados don't give a flying squirrel what the other unknowing multitude think of their smell. You gotta lot to learn.
    slushiex converted me i think, no need for name calling. u the one acting like a kid gramps

  25. #25

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dixon Cider View Post
    i know an old man that smells like piss and he could careless what people think. i give him major props tho
    I know a young man who obsessed over fragrances. I gave him....the name of a good therapist.
    FOR SALE CHEAP !!.....two blind buys that didn't work for me : 4.2oz CORDUROY by Zirh EDT and 3.4 oz CADILLAC EDT; both like new !

  26. #26

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I know a young man who obsessed over fragrances. I gave him....the name of a good therapist.
    i think most of us on basenotes obsess over fragrances, no?

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pennsyl-tuckey
    Posts
    1,748
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Of course we wear certain fragrances often because they "fit" us. A "signature" scent, one that fits us perfectly and compliments our personalities.

    However, the fragrance world is full of beautiful smells that are wonderful, and a fragrance connoisseur may not give a damn about the psychological or social aspects of the fragrance and just enjoy the fact that it smells wonderful, and they love being in possession of a bottle and being able to wear it.

    I love Encre Noire, but I don't think a bonfire of vetiver describes my personality. Why would I want to be described in a scent, other than, "you smell nice"?

    Why would I want to be described and predictable at all? People knowing you and loving you is one thing, but people KNOWING you, a very shallow, one-dimension person? Just one fragrance? That "Stetson" man? Part of the excitement in this fragrance hobby that brings us all together on this site, I think, is smelling new fragrances, and striking gold on a good one. It may not be your spouse, but it could happily become a new friend.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

    Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

    PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

  28. #28

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    i retract my previous statement anyone can pull off ALMOST anything.
    Last edited by Dixon Cider; 5th January 2011 at 06:34 AM.

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pennsyl-tuckey
    Posts
    1,748
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dixon Cider View Post
    i retract my previous statement anyone can pull off ALMOST anything.
    You don't have to say that dude. I didn't mean to brow-beat you, and I'm sorry for the reception you've got for making this thread, but it's not like you were totally wrong - it's just a matter of taking criticism and thinking more open-minded.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

    Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

    PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

  30. #30

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    I think there's a distinction, too, between wearing a fragrance as communication, versus wearing it for your own pleasure. People often wear clothes as communication--they're concerned about others' reaction to the clothes. On the other hand, they usually eat food for their own pleasure. (Or, if they sometimes worry about what "message" their food choices send at a restaurant, they'll at least choose food for their own pleasure at home.)

    For me, fragrance is more like food than clothes. I usually choose fragrance because I like to smell it. I sometimes choose fragrance as a sort of costume or mood-builder, like children playing dressup or a person who wears his lucky socks. Only rarely do I choose fragrance based on the impression that it will give others.

  31. #31
    Neurosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I don't have the accent, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    I think its all societal bias, girls wear flowery stuff, guys wear nothing or stuff so light it doesn't matter. On Basenotes we ignore these "standards", but that does not change the fact they exist. Sorry, we're an extreme minority, and there is NO chance of us changing anything. I do see a movement towards guys wearing fragrances, but I don't see it being like Eastern cultures where perfumes are 10% of the atmosphere (I wish it was like that )

  32. #32
    Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,479

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Personally, I use scents as an accessory though there are times I wear them just to indulge my whims. If fragrances are to match our personality, I think many fragrance houses will go out of business. New fragrance purchases will only be made by those with personality disorders, lol. Perhaps we should wear fragrances that match our guts?

    But I do agree that certain scents wear better on certain people but not others. Why don't you tell us which fragrance best describes your personality? Btw age is not = personality.

  33. #33

    Default Re: Your fragrance should match your personality!

    Everything I wear, everything I like, everything I'm trying out expresses my personality. That's because I like the smell(s), so whatever I'm wearing--and liking I guess--matches my personality.

    So unless one wears things one dislikes (lucky we are that one doesn't need to) I take it as a truism that a fragrance matches a personality. And matches a personality rather than a purse. One has to think of it as an expression of what the wearer likes and feels about his/her aura, not a matching of judgmental or preconceived pigeon holes. I don't mean to beat a dead horse or inflame anything with the harsh words "judgmental" and "preconceived" in the last sentence, I just use them to help us think about the way things are thought about.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  34. #34

    Default

    Most personalities have different facets, and different perfumes to suit them (if the person likes). Then there are the personality traits we WANT to project; strength calls for one scent, frivolity another, a third for sexy time.

    Probably we all have some scents that are unlikely to suit us in any facet (there is nothing about me that speaks to Pink Sugar!). For the OP, that may be vintage or floral scents, for others the scents like Dad wore, still others foody gourmand nose snacks.
    To each his and her own, but in the end yes, personality and perfume are tied together.
    My Top 10*:
    1. Bois des Iles (Chanel)
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    4. Miss Dior - vintage (Dior)
    5. Jolie Madame (Balmain)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)
    9. L'Air du Desert Moracain (Tauer)
    10. Medici - Italian Splendor: Florence (DSH)
    *in no particular order because it's too hard!

Similar Threads

  1. personality fragrance
    By Zgb in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 8th October 2010, 03:08 PM
  2. On fragrance, personality and...a dominatrix.
    By LedByMyNose in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 26th August 2008, 04:02 AM
  3. Match a scent to my personality
    By ohmyamoose in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11th December 2007, 01:15 AM
  4. If fragrance expresses a personality....
    By kewart in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 22nd March 2006, 11:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •