Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default Lithuania launches its own national perfume

    The article is from the Natonal Post but you can google it and get the same article anywhere. I found the remark from Mindaugas Stongvilas, "an expert in emotional communication behind the project," a bit odd: “For Lithuanians to identify themselves with this perfume, we’ve added the smell of wood fires that can be associated with pagan rituals, as well as moss and wildflowers.” I've never associated Lithuania with anything Pagan, or anything at all for that matter, but it's an interesting comment nonetheless. The perfume was created by French perfumers Galimard.

    http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/01...#ixzz1ABg99ddS

    The notes actually intrigue me. I hope this has more national relevance than Perry Ellis' America does for us U.S. folks.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

    Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

  2. #2
    turquoisewater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,434
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Lithuania launches its own national perfume

    Wow, how very, very cool! My Lithuanian mother will be thrilled, too. Thanks, cbstarker. Definitely need to check this one out.

  3. #3
    adonis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Cali
    Posts
    3,515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Lithuania launches its own national perfume

    Quote Originally Posted by cbstarker View Post
    I found the remark from Mindaugas Stongvilas, "an expert in emotional communication behind the project," a bit odd: “For Lithuanians to identify themselves with this perfume, we’ve added the smell of wood fires that can be associated with pagan rituals, as well as moss and wildflowers.” I've never associated Lithuania with anything Pagan, or anything at all for that matter, but it's an interesting comment nonetheless.
    There's still a Pagan connection. Many Lithuanian names (first names especially) are based on the worship of nature during Pagan times. It wasn't until the late 14th century that the country adopted Catholicism. Even the name of the country is derived from the word "Rain".

    There are popular names constructed from the words for celestial bodies (Saulė for the Sun, Aušrinė for Venus), events of nature (Audra for the storm, Aušra for the dawn, Rasa for the dew, Vėjas for the wind, Aidas for the echo), plants (Linas/Lina for flax, Eglė for spruce), river names (Ūla, Vilija for River Neris). - Wikipedia
    Last edited by adonis; 5th January 2011 at 09:28 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Lithuania launches its own national perfume

    Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    There's still a Pagan connection. Many Lithuanian names (first names especially) are based on the worship of nature during Pagan times. It wasn't until the late 14th century that the country adopted Catholicism. Even the name of the country is derived from the word "Rain".

    There are popular names constructed from the words for celestial bodies (Saulė for the Sun, Aušrinė for Venus), events of nature (Audra for the storm, Aušra for the dawn, Rasa for the dew, Vėjas for the wind, Aidas for the echo), plants (Linas/Lina for flax, Eglė for spruce), river names (Ūla, Vilija for River Neris). - Wikipedia
    Fascinating! I had no idea and I find that very appealing, really. I realize there are pagan connections throughout all cultures - we just celebrated a couple here in the States didn't we? - but I never knew that Lithuania was still so deeply connected to their pagan roots - or can I even call them roots? I'll put it high on my list of Places to Go when my children grow up and I have time for traveling again. And I'll bring back a bottle of Lithuania as a souvenir, too! Thanks for the insight, Adonis.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

    Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

  5. #5

    Default Re: Lithuania launches its own national perfume

    Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    There's still a Pagan connection. Many Lithuanian names (first names especially) are based on the worship of nature during Pagan times. It wasn't until the late 14th century that the country adopted Catholicism. Even the name of the country is derived from the word "Rain".

    There are popular names constructed from the words for celestial bodies (Saulė for the Sun, Aušrinė for Venus), events of nature (Audra for the storm, Aušra for the dawn, Rasa for the dew, Vėjas for the wind, Aidas for the echo), plants (Linas/Lina for flax, Eglė for spruce), river names (Ūla, Vilija for River Neris). - Wikipedia
    Fascinating! I had no idea and I find that very appealing, really, and I love that the name is derived from "Rain." I realize there are pagan connections throughout all cultures - we just celebrated a couple here in the States didn't we? - but I never knew that Lithuania was still so deeply connected to their pagan roots - or can I even call them roots? I'll put it high on my list of Places to Go when my children grow up and I have time for traveling again. And I'll bring back a bottle of Lithuania as a souvenir, too! Thanks for the insight, Adonis.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

    Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

  6. #6
    SmellChaser
    scentsitivity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,357
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Lithuania launches its own national perfume

    I heard this on the radio yesterday and meant to post it.

    I think this is interesting. Hopefully it is a good fragrance. I would like to try it some day.

    Next we need a Latvia and an Estonia!

  7. #7
    pomander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North of Boston
    Posts
    999
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Lithuania launches its own national perfume

    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisewater View Post
    Wow, how very, very cool! My Lithuanian mother will be thrilled, too. Thanks, cbstarker. Definitely need to check this one out.
    Hi Turquoisewater - I just found another similarity between us. While you have a Lithuanian mother, my Dad was of Lithuanian heritage and his Dad came to the U.S. from Lithuania as a young man.

    I wonder what the perfume smells like. I feel that I must try it!

    Lisa
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

    "Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

  8. #8

    Default Re: Lithuania launches its own national perfume


  9. #9
    Moderator
    furrypine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oslo
    Posts
    1,894
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Lithuania launches its own national perfume

    Bumping the thread to ask if anyone has tried it by now?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •