Code of Conduct

Default Do dads tell their growing boys about fragrance?

Forgive me, but when new members who are very young and starting to be interested in fragrances post that about themselves, in the back of my pea-sized brain I wonder, "have you thought to ask your dad?"

I guess they want to ask their starter questions here instead, or on the Just Starting Out board, but I can't help wondering if the father-to-son logic and expression of things men do still goes on. Shaving, tying a tie, and I dunno, putting on and picking a way to smell nice like a gentleman.

How about all of us? Did you get help from a dad or father figure back when? I didn't really, but I tried the old man's Royal Copenhagen on the not-too-sly.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do dads tell their growing boys about fragrance?

The relative anonymity of internet and the fraternal devotion to fragrance found here on Basenotes provides answers to questions regarding fragrance that might be less intimidating than talking to dear old dad. Most fathers have little real experience with fragrance so, it is good that Basenotes is here as a resource of fact and opinion. I think that like discussion about the birds and bees, fragrance is another difficult subject to befall fathers.

Blog Entries

Interesting thought. I took interest in my father's after-shaves, mostly when I learned about shaving from him, and thereafter when I discovered that I enjoyed the smell of better deodorant sticks like Brut and Old Spice. I've let my son learn about fragrance at his own pace and by his own likes and dislikes.

However, you make a very interesting point about the teaching thing. When I instructed my son in shaving, I passed on the virtue of a good after-shave balm. He seemed to pick up that habit, and he does fancy quality aftershave balms quite a bit, just as I fancied the splash bottles in my youth.

I've noticed his tastes in fragrance evolving lately. I was pleased to see him pick Rochas Man out of a lineup recently.

PS - I agree totally with N_Tesla. The internet offers a great way to pick up such knowledge - much better than the random locker room or one's own misguided friends!

Great thoughts there DustB.

My first experiences with Azzaro pour Homme, Eau Sauvage, & Pierre Cardin pour Monsieur were through my dad.

Both my kids have their own fragrances and just today I spent all morning sniffing away with my 10yo daughter.

It was interesting BTW how much she would gravitate towards the celebuscents. I showed her a few niche offerings; she smelled Secretions Magnifique and declared it "really bad". She found Messe de Minuit to be "interesting".

The staff at the department store found it amusing that a dad and his 10yo daughter were sniffing away the Britney Spears perfumes, but we had a great time

Blog Entries

jathanas; Wonderful that you spent such quality time with your daughter. It is times such as you described that your daughter will remember most vividly about her relationship with you.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post

My first experiences with Azzaro pour Homme, Eau Sauvage, & Pierre Cardin pour Monsieur were through my dad.

Both my kids have their own fragrances and just today I spent all morning sniffing away with my 10yo daughter.

It was interesting BTW how much she would gravitate towards the celebuscents. I showed her a few niche offerings; she smelled Secretions Magnifique and declared it "really bad". She found Messe de Minuit to be "interesting".

The staff at the department store found it amusing that a dad and his 10yo daughter were sniffing away the Britney Spears perfumes, but we had a great time

... and just today I spent all morning sniffing away with my 10yo daughter.

And, was it your experience that your daughter was free to wander the shelves and spritz away unimpeded, and yet Dad was pounced upon to see if he wanted any help?

And is this where I admit that Radiance isn't actually that bad? And that Midnight (or is it Midnight Fantasy?) is actually kind-of okay?

My dad didn't. He did talk to me about shaving, showing me how to do it and giving me advice, but I don't remember him ever talking to me about fragrances. That conspicuous and ever present bottle of Old Spice on the shelf was ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    The relative anonymity of internet and the fraternal devotion to fragrance found here on Basenotes provides answers to questions regarding fragrance that might be less intimidating than talking to dear old dad. Most fathers have little real experience with fragrance so, it is good that Basenotes is here as a resource of fact and opinion. I think that like discussion about the birds and bees, fragrance is another difficult subject to befall fathers.
    Well I can take a good point like that one. I'll have to agree with you, N_Tesla.

I showed her a few niche offerings; she smelled Secretions Magnifique and declared it "really bad". She found Messe de Minuit to be "interesting".

Great reviews and a great scene, Jathanas!

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    My dad didn't. He did talk to me about shaving, showing me how to do it and giving me advice, but I don't remember him ever talking to me about fragrances. That conspicuous and ever present bottle of Old Spice on the shelf was ignored.
    My experience too. I got the lessons about shaving, but that never went into smell as part of grooming either.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    "have you thought to ask your dad?" ... Shaving, tying a tie, and I dunno, putting on and picking a way to smell nice like a gentleman. .
    Interesting topic.
    To mis-quote Dylan: The times they have a changed.
    It's sad, but for many young persons today, having a present father is an entirely alien concept. They therefore have to seek alternative sources of information.

I was / am lucky to have a wonderful father, but to be honest, growing up, he was more interest in teaching me the differences between Australopithecus afarensis and africanus than inducting me into how best to match a perfume to an occasion.

Mine did.
    I am.
    My young son's newest: a sample of Silver Man and Memoir Man from ParfumsRaffy with many thanks to them, it made his day. Oh...and a sample of Reflection Woman and some Bois 1920 for my girl.

Yeah my dad didn't really do anything with fragrances. He sought to teach me more about how important work and a good education is. Well those things, and also a couple rants here and there about how much taxes have gone up over the years. He's closer to a mountain man than a business man, if that makes sense. I feel that I actually prefer that though, because then I know that everything I enjoy today and everything I'm interested in, is just what I'm meant to. I sort of found my own way. He only taught me the fundamentals, so that now all of my creativity is fostered by things I've picked up on my own. There's something really enjoyable about that for me.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    jathanas; Wonderful that you spent such quality time with your daughter. It is times such as you described that your daughter will remember most vividly about her relationship with you.
    Thanks tesla. It was a great timed for both of us

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    And, was it your experience that your daughter was free to wander the shelves and spritz away unimpeded, and yet Dad was pounced upon to see if he wanted any help?

And is this where I admit that Radiance isn't actually that bad? And that Midnight (or is it Midnight Fantasy?) is actually kind-of okay?
    They did pounce. If I admit to liking Radiance will you guys still talk to me?

My dad doesn't wear cologne. Don't really know why, but I always ask him to give a mark from 1 to 10 to some fragrances I'm testing.

So far only : A Taste of Heaven By Kilian and Creed Original Santal got 10 from him.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I am telling my growing boy (8 y/o) about fragrances!
    He has no alternative!

My Dad just doesn't like the idea of wearing them, so at one point he just unloaded his collection of gifts (5 or so bottles) on to me. It kick-started my love for fragrances.
    Call me George, my Mum does!
    Looking for bottles/large decants: A&F Fierce, Hollister Jake, Platinum Egoiste, L'instant de Guerlain. PM me

I was always interested in smelly stuff. My dad was an old spice splasher and that was the smell of him. He didn't say much about it, just splashed it on every day after shaving.
    With my own sons: I have made the older one his own perfume from mysore sandalwood, rose and frankincense. He also has some baby blue jeans and some Eau de Cologne (R&G). The younger one gets some lavender water from time to time but so far is not as interested....
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    My dad didn't. He did talk to me about shaving, showing me how to do it and giving me advice
    This is my dad, too. I don't think he has worn any kind of fragrance since I can remember.

Several male relatives and male friends of the family did occasionally bring up the topic of frags long before I started wearing them, but the best part about this was actually not said in words. Since most of them simply owned very exquisite fragrance wardrobes, including vintage formulations of Antaeus, Knize Ten, Eau Sauvage, Azzaro PH and more, so whenever they wore some of these frags or whenever I visited their homes- where their fragrances were displayed quite liberally and visibly- I said to myself: "This is exactly what I will own when I grow up"

Regarding my dad, there is a slightly different story: not long ago, he used to be totally fragrance free and only thought frags were limited strictly to scented deodorants and after shave lotions. However, since I started to give him several presents consisting of frags, he now started, in his mid-late fifties, to become increasingly fascinated and interested about frags

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

My son grew up without sniffing anything on dad except whatever soap mom had placed in the bathroom and whatever canned shaving cream and scented deodorant/anti-perspirant his dad had bought without much thought. Now in his 40s he does not wear any cologne nor does he have any desire to do so.

My own father occasionally used Old Spice aftershave (I believe).
    There are three kinds of people in this world: those who understand math and those who don't (four out of three people surveyed agree with this).

I grew up with 3 stepfathers between the age of 10 and 21, and none of them were positive role models.
    *One* made me slightly aware of fragrance though, and that was by grabbing me by the collar and hissing "if you touch this effing bottle of Tsar, I'll cut your hand off".

I wonder if this prohibition actually had some impact on why I adore fragrances so much as an adult?! Lol!

My Dad never really talked about fragrances as I was growing up... indirectly though, he did have an influence on my love of fragrance and grooming as a gentleman should. I always remember watching him shave and and like others, splash on some old spice or whatever was popular at the time. My grandfather was a barber. I remember getting my hair cut... and the smell of talcum in the air... like most of us, fond memories are often brought on by fragrances of course! Whether I've had an influence on my 17 year old son when it comes to fragrance I'm not sure. I do know that he seems to appreciate a good smelling cologne and does use fragrance as part of his grooming. He does have 3-4 of his own bottles. As far as my fragrance hobby goes... my wife and children have always humoured me with my fragrance obessions!! Bless them!!
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

AromiErotici

Fragrance wasn't even a thought when I was growing up. My father did however have a few bottles of Mennen, Old Spice,Brut, Aqua Velva and English Leather at any given time that I was able to smell when he wasn't around.

I was a boy in the 1960's and masculine fragrances were basically drugstore items then. Even though scent was never talked about, him having the usual fare of the day allowed me to discover that there was stuff available to make you smell good.

Sometimes it's fun discovering things all by yourself.

My dad hated perfumes although he wore them. He's had this allergy since he was a kid.
    Everybody in my family talked about perfume. It's something very customery in this part of the world. It grows with you and you grow with it.

With my Dad, he took no interest in scents. But he did teach me all about shaving and hygeine. He used Mennen, etc. He's a great dad and 69 now.

I've tried to get him into scents and bought/gave him several, but to my mom's chagrin, he never wears it! My Mom loves nice perfumes.

I'm teaching my 14 year-old all about it and he has an ever expanding collection, but he is more reserved than me in his enthusiasm. But he does wear cologne every day! I bought him Big Pony #1 for Christmas and it really suits him (Aqua di Gio like aquatic).

Blog Entries

My dad actually gets bad headaches due to fragrances, so they've always been taboo. Same thing with both my parents actually. My house does not smell like most houses, with the traces of Yankee Candle throughout, clothes are washed with unscented detergent...overall its pretty boring minus the fact that there's usually some great smelling food around.

My interest in fragrances came from the advice of a friend, that cologne DOES help with the ladies: its better than smelling funky!

Digression: Thinking of it right now, I ALWAYS loved smells. I remember being very young and being able to identify the origin of hand-me-down clothes that family friends would give to us. They all had their own unique smell, and I loved picking it out...I'm starting to think I was meant to discover this hobby lol

So back on topic, I see my own interest in fragrances as a way to fill the void of non-odor. I was always intrigued by candle stores, but never could go in because of my families scent issues. I ended up getting an American Eagle cologne, and liked it, but it wasn't my thing. Then I got Vurt Green from PacSun...and now I'm debating whether or not to buy Chergui. I feel like I would've actually had a lesser interest in fragrances if I was more exposed to them in general; or perhaps an even greater one. Maybe I love gourmands because it, food, was the ONLY thing I smelled as a child. Who knows, time to go smell stuff!

It was never discussed, nor was the birds and bees lol. These are something I discovered on my own. When I very young, Dad gifted me with a perfumer's alchemy set to make your own. Also, dad wore some here and there and a best friend on mine's dad wore it and this fueled my interest in fragrance, smelling good, and gave me a sense of elegance and significance.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Dad never told me anything about fragrance nor did he seem much interested in it, but there was always a small assortment of brut, old spice, wind drift, timberline, canoe, etc. on the top of his bureau. The ways of our family, it was community property for me and my two brothers and, at that, we never cared much about it until girls entered the picture in high school.

My son is in high school and is stuck on the axe and old spice sports sprays that are popular with his group. Sure, he overapplies and everyone in the house gives him shite for it. I let it go. He knows I'm into this as a hobby and, in time, when he's interested to know more about it, he'll start asking questions. THEN is when I'll give him as much as he wants to know.

My father never spoke to me about fragrance.

Sur la Plage

No.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I did!!! It's part of grooming if You ask me. Washing, brushing ones teeth, combing ones hair.....Some dads don't wear cologne so the answer from their Sons would be no!!!
    I was and still am a fragrance lover.....I never went out or go out without spraying something.....My Son wanted to be like Dad and that's how it started!!!
    My Son is one of us here at Basenotes!!! He is also a fragrance nut like all of us!!! I do think I trained Him well if I may say so!!!
    Gary

My Dad never taught me about fragrances, but did teach me about grooming, and that left definite scent memories: having him rub lavender-scented hair oil into my scalp before parting my hair with a comb (hey, it was the '60s!). I also remember his Yardley shaving soaps in their wood bowls.

Actually, I gave him his first real bottle of cologne (Polo Green) in the early '80s, and he was loyal to it until he died.

As for my kids, I sometimes spray a bit of eau de cologne (ITB Italienne) on my son (5), who likes it, and have passed on some samples (KM Peau de Peche, DC Osmanthus) to my daughter (9) who also likes them, but is too young to use them, really.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Basenotes Plus

Nope. My dad never had the chance; he was killed in an industrial accident when I was 7. The only thing I was interested in then was getting through school without getting bullied by the older boys.

jathanas, you described the exact scene whenever I & my 11-yr old daughter go shopping. We'd be sniffing around the fragrance counters and picking out favorites... Great fun,isn't it?!

I might as well have asked my father about lipstick

My father is very utilitarian & was more concerned with making certain I knew how to rebuild a small engine than teaching me the gentlemanly arts. To this day he owns one perfume that's only worn on special occasions & would have bristle brushes protruding from his nostrils if it weren't for his wife's grooming. To his nose the notes of motor oil, black powder & the vapors from smelted lead is an exquisite perfume.

I grew up with 2 moms....one of 'em loved fragrances and bought me my first while in high school. Britsh Sterling. I loved it back then.
    I don't see any reason a father should discuss fragrances with his sons and daughters.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

A father should teach his son about a lot of things. Some are little graces, how to tie a tie or open a bottle of wine. Some are important for life in our society, such as how to manage your money. Some may be important such as how to safely handle and shoot a gun or how to start a fire.

The appreciation of a fine cocktail instead of gulping tequila shooters from the well.

The appreciation of good music, good art. Sports. The outdoors.

With regard to fragrances, my father informed me women select and gift fragrances to men. The receiving man is obliged to wear it and be happy. If you knew my family, you would recognize this information as genius.
    Last edited by dukecity; 8th January 2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: grammar

My father reeks of Newport cigs and Hugo Boss lol Didn't learn much from him there!

I'm 16, and my father never really told me about fragrances like where to spray how many sprays etc. Now he is going into my closet and using my fragrances, but I don't care. He keeps his fragrances in the bathroom drawer and some of them are so old they have fully evaporated. Every once in awhile he pulls one out and tells me it is a great frag...the latest one was Jako by Lagerfield, it wasn't to bad.
    There is nothing better than getting compliments on how good you smell!

"We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News

Quote Originally Posted by sean-dt View Post
    I might as well have asked my father about lipstick
    Ha ha, yeah I think this would be the experience of many father/sons, thankfully times have changed. My boys (4 yr old twins and a 3 yr old) are already well-versed in my fragrance obsessions, and will frequently comment on grown-ups frags, if they're wearing some, always with the line "Mmm, you smell beautiful!"

Over Christmas, my wife asked one of the twins if he would like to try some of Mummy's new perfume from Santa, so all through Boxing Day he was revelling in the joy of his first ever scent - Caldey Island Lavender. What a way to start! Not that I think we'll be getting them into the habit so young, but it was very cute to witness.

I frequently raided my Dad's bathroom cabinet as a teenager, and still do, and this Christmas I bought he and I matching Azzaro pour homme (well, it was a 2-for-1 offer, what could I do?) - he loves it, and was delighted to have a "proper masculine" fragrance, as he described it, after 20 years of wishy-washy aquatics I guess. He bought me Hypnose, which was.....OK.

I'll have to get him on Basenotes! But yes, I can't wait for the day when my kids are teenagers and we can go scent-hunting together...presuming they're still speaking to me by then, of course
    "Plastic people look the same" - Ray Davies

Blog Entries

Whenever my dad took me to the mall when I was still in my single digits we'd walk into Hecht's or Lord & Taylor or whatever department store was nearby and he'd try out a cologne and I'd follow him and spray a cologne on my arm.

My brother is 10 years older than me, and graduated high school when I was 9 years old. He joined the military and left for basic training shortly after and left all his old colognes here and a lot of my experimentation with fragrance began there too.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

My dad didn't, but I remember him having a few, including an old bottle of Corvette in the car shaped bottle! I had a step-dad that wore Joop!, Obsession, Polo Green, and Drakkar Noir, among others. That actually did pique my interests and he actually gave me the Polo Green and DN. I ended up selling them at a yard sale at one point and now regret it. All good though, because he sucked and I'd just as soon repurchase them.

As for me - we don't have kids yet, but when we do, you bet your britches they'll be fine smelling kids! They might even get a dab of Le Labo's Ambrette that's meant for babies now and then.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Blog Entries

Na, no dad around and the eventual stepdad wasn't much in line for shaving. A trim every couple of days and that was it.
    I did receive a bottle of cologne from him, I think, but that was after I had already fiddled around with Axe After shaves and I dont think he woulda been able to tell the difference.

It's something I'm actually lookin forward to already. Talk to my kids about perfume. Teach them to ride a bike. Just being a good dad I guess.
    Smellin good

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Nope. My dad never had the chance; he was killed in an industrial accident when I was 7. The only thing I was interested in then was getting through school without getting bullied by the older boys.

jathanas, you described the exact scene whenever I & my 11-yr old daughter go shopping. We'd be sniffing around the fragrance counters and picking out favorites... Great fun,isn't it?!
    sorry to learn about your father Diamondflame.

As for sniffing away with our little women, it's great! I love the purity and honesty of their opinions

Great thread DustB!

Growing up my Dad always wore either Aramis or Grey Flannel. I have each in my wardrobe now, and while I don't wear them much, I always wear those on the anniversary of his death just a couple years ago. Funny that you mentioned Royal Copenhagen, as I also found a bottle of that in his cabinet, but don't recall it from my younger days.

As for my kids you bet I am sharing all I can. My teenage boy now wears Fierce, and seems like he likes Bulgari Aqua. My 12 year old daughter seems to be catching the "bug" and with my assistance is going through a heavy sampling phase. And now my 9 year old son always likes to check my SOTD. On special occasions, he'll wear a spritz or two - always GIT! Wife thinks we're all crazy, but we're having some good times!