Code of Conduct

Default Have you ever lost your sense of smell?

I recently had the cold-from-hell and couldn't smell anything for more than a week. Not my grapefruit shower gel, not my favorite vanilla caramel tea, and not my perfume.

Nowadays I am much more aware of scents around me, and I have to say, while in the grips of this stupid cold, that I was really worried that I would not be able to smell as well as I did before the cold. What would I do? How would I cope? How sad that I just had begun to hone my ability to pick out scents, and now it might be gone!

Happily, I am back to normal (well, normal for me which is probably not normal for the rest of the world ). My ability to smell is back, but I was really concerned for a while. Has this ever happened to you?
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Default Re: Have you ever lost your sense of smell?

Yup, last month during... A cold from hell, too.

Blog Entries

Yup, me too, same story. Interestingly, my receptors came back online at different rates, so frags smelled different during recovery. I also got super-sensitive to certain notes after recovering, too. So I think that recovery may be able to clean out the cobwebs a bit, in some way.

I recorded my experience after my recovery, in a blog post here.

That was an interesting blog, RP. Thanks for including it. It was so strange that I couldn't smell my SotD for days at a time - At. All. I kept wearing something, every day, in the hope that I could smell it. But I couldn't, until the cold decided to leave. Weird feeling, isn't it?

Blog Entries

Yes, it's a bit scary. I'm OK with it now, but it was actually a bit depressing the first time it happened, because I wasn't so sure it would end.

There's another thread going on here somewhere (maybe on the men's side) about plastic surgery on the nose. Supposedly there is some risk of anosmia. DON'T DO IT!!! Not worth the risk!! (JMO)

well since it's sometimes fairly cold here in Canada, i find it happens where some days i walk into a store to smell things and my nose is sort of 'frozen', so i really just can't smell much, plus with all the dry air and dust i'll get stuffed sinuses so... yeah, it just happens. and once i start sniffing and get almost nothing, i know it's pointless so i just go do something else. it seems like I have 'on' days where i can smell anything and 50 frags without getting plugged up, and other days where after a few i'm done for the day. but that's all part of the adventure
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I suffer from bronchical asthma since childhood. So I seem to catch colds alot which always well 99.9% of the time turn into either sinus or chest infections. The weird thing is, I have never lost my sense of smell!!!! I will get bad tastes in my mouth from the cold, sort of sour thing. But the nose still is able to fragrance.
    DONNA

I lose the ability to smell during a heavy cold, but apart from that I
    have never been unable to smell. I do find as I am getting older (50+)
    that my sense of smell is diminishing slightly, which is sad. I try not to
    overapply to compensate!

My poor husband has been totally anosmic for the past six years and has
    polyps in his nasal passages. They have been removed twice by surgery but return soon afterwards.
    He can only smell if he takes a strong course of steroids, which shrink the polyps, although
    he is reluctant to take these on a regular basis. Sadly he can't smell his "fragrant" wife at all.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Ooh, that's sad that your husband doesn't know how good you smell! I, too am getting (just a smidge) older and wondered if that might be the case for me, too. I seriously didn't pay much attention until the last year, though, so I am going to be more aware from now on.

I had this happen to me years ago.....One of those mega colds.....It's been a long time and I hope it never happens again!!!
    Gary

Blog Entries

I had that same cold last fall. I also lost my sense of smell for a few days. It was strange. I don't think I've ever had that happen before. Either that or I've never noticed it. It was pretty frightening. I guess the nasal tissues were just swollen and non-functional.

Blog Entries

I thought i did a few months back when i smelled my beloved opium i thought
    i couldn't smell it anymore it was with other perfumes also but i did'nt have a
    cold my mind was freaking out i'm i losing my scent isn't my inmunity can you explain?

Blog Entries

Could it be allergies?

Blog Entries

No i don't think it's allergies i think is when you smell the same scent
    for a while and get immune to it's strength

Blog Entries

Oh, I see what you mean. I think you do become accustomed to a scent. Even if it is a powerful one, you may not notice it after a while if you have worn it a long time.

A lot of the time I can't smell properly. I have a problem with my nose that requires surgery, but I've been postponing it because there is a very small risk it could cause permanent anosmia.
    Last edited by sean-dt; 14th January 2011 at 02:07 AM.

A couple of years ago I lost all sense of smell for a few days following a mild cold. It's the only time this has happened to me, and it was a weird experience. I couldn't smell anything at all and could only vaguely taste food. I barely sensed if it was salty, sour or sweet, but nothing else.

Truly depressing.