Code of Conduct

Default CDG Kyoto = Timbuktu's basenotes

Does anyone here get the uncanny resemblance between Kyoto and Timbuktu? I have been a huge fan of Timbuktu ever since its release and have gone through several bottles. This summer I purchased all five of the CDG incense series but I truly loved four with Kyoto pretty much an impulse buy. When I first wore it, all I got Timbuktu. Then I wore Timbuktu the next day and I understood that it's a much more complicated scent with its notorious sulfuric, green mango topnotes. However, when it dries down, all I'm left with is Kyoto. I think the roasted coffee note in Kyoto differentiates it from Timbuktu slightly, but really...do I really need both?

Default Re: CDG Kyoto = Timbuktu's basenotes

I don`t know about Timbuktu, but Kyoto smells very similar to Loewe 7, although Kyoto doesn't last on my skin. Now I am very interested in smelling Timbuktu...

Oh dear. I was looking forward to trying Kyoto but now I'm worried. I really want to like Timbuktu. I really do. But once I get past the sulfuric (which my nose reads as bleach bathroom cleaner) green mango notes in the opening, my skin eats Timbuktu. So all I get is pain and no pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by migjurado View Post
    I don`t know about Timbuktu, but Kyoto smells very similar to Loewe 7, although Kyoto doesn't last on my skin. Now I am very interested in smelling Timbuktu...
    I remember trying the Loewe and liking it very much and thinking it was pretty serious for a designer frag. I think you would love Timbuktu. Timbuktu is actually one of the longest lasting fragrances I have ever tried and lingers in the most mysterious way. It will leave a mark...where ever you go. It diffuses in the most beautiful way. Similar to Teint de Neige in its diffusive aspect. On some days, I wake up, go downstairs to have breakfast and I can still smell Timbuktu in the air hours after my brother has applied it. I even remember reading Turin commenting on its diffusing properties.

Quote Originally Posted by bogsc View Post
    Oh dear. I was looking forward to trying Kyoto but now I'm worried. I really want to like Timbuktu. I really do. But once I get past the sulfuric (which my nose reads as bleach bathroom cleaner) green mango notes in the opening, my skin eats Timbuktu. So all I get is pain and no pleasure.
    You should really try Timbuktu on your clothes as some people can't wear perfume because of their dry skin. As I stated above, Timbuktu has an excellent lingering quality that will satisfy you even when sprayed on clothes. Kyoto is like a simpler version of Timbuktu, which you might really like or love because it doesn't have those mango topnotes which you despise. I find Kyoto to be equally as diffusive on skin or clothes but just slightly less lasting.

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post

You should really try Timbuktu on your clothes as some people can't wear perfume because of their dry skin. As I stated above, Timbuktu has an excellent lingering quality that will satisfy you even when sprayed on clothes. Kyoto is like a simpler version of Timbuktu, which you might really like or love because it doesn't have those mango topnotes which you despise. I find Kyoto to be equally as diffusive on skin or clothes but just slightly less lasting.
    Great idea. I'm going over to my fave perfume shop this week and will spray Timbuktu on a washable sweater. (Did that with Amouage Opus IV on Friday and was swooning through the next day.) The sample of Timbuktu I have is down to just a few drops now 'cause I kept trying it on my skin thinking it would work for me since it sounds so amazing. You've convinced me that I need to be a bit more creative in terms of finding a way to wear it. I generally don't have problems with my skin eating perfumes...though come to think of it, that does seem to be a bit more of a problem in winter when my skin does tend to be drier. Timbuktu was particularly notable because I was dying to get to the glorious dry down I kept hearing about it but it just disappeared...poof...after the blast of bleach cleaner. Maybe my nose just shut off as a defense mechanism because it really thought it was smelling bleach?

Basenotes Institution

I don't smell the similarities. Well, I mean they both have incense. But I don't make the olfactory connection between the two.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I have and love both but have never found them similar.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Yes, you are right, I guess. The very drydown of both is similar. There's a faint lingering vetiver note in Timbuktu that's not there in Kyoto, nonetheless. The cardamom in Timbuktu rules the top and middle notes. Unfortunately, my nose gets used to Timbuktu quickly and I don't feel its sillage much about an hour into wearing it.

I guess all our noses work differently and that's what so interesting here. Timbuktu is much more vetiver than incense whereas Kyoto is like the incense right out of Timbuktu. Odd, but that's what I perceive. I have to do a wearing of both again soon!

I don't smell any similarities between the two. They share incense but are totally different scents.

Edit: Just noticed MikeP made the same conclusions.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Kyoto is similar to C Lacroix Tumulte ..in the sense, it really does smell similar in terms of it's overall signature perfume. i know exactly what you mean by the similarities between Timbuktu and Kyoto...however, like some pointed out...it just similar accords and not the signature* Kyoto smell..

* what the heck is signature Kyoto smell...? the smell that makes it ink blue if we were to refer a color..

p.s. nice to have you back buddy.

Don't yet know about Timbuktu, however to me...

CDG Kyoto = Vaseline Men Body & Face, and Hand Lotion (top/midnotes)

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Kyoto is similar to C Lacroix Tumulte ..in the sense, it really does smell similar in terms of it's overall signature perfume. i know exactly what you mean by the similarities between Timbuktu and Kyoto...however, like some pointed out...it just similar accords and not the signature* Kyoto smell..

* what the heck is signature Kyoto smell...? the smell that makes it ink blue if we were to refer a color..

p.s. nice to have you back buddy.
    Hmmm..I haven't smelt Tumulte. I have seen it however in discounters locally. I'm glad you get me when I say that they share definite uncanny similarities!
    Glad to be back buddy, glaaaad to be back And I'm back with a vengeance!

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Don't yet know about Timbuktu, however to me...

CDG Kyoto = Vaseline Men Body & Face, and Hand Lotion (top/midnotes)
    Wow that really intrigues me when body lotions are similar to fragrances. I remember buying the Beeswax Hair Wax from The Body Shop and finding out it smelt exactly like Body Kouros!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Hmmm..I haven't smelt Tumulte. I have seen it however in discounters locally. I'm glad you get me when I say that they share definite uncanny similarities!
    Glad to be back buddy, glaaaad to be back And I'm back with a vengeance!
    Tumulte is VERY close to Kyoto. IMO, it's pointless to own both. I prefer the CdG. But the Tumulte has a prettier bottle.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

You do have a point. I have both fragrances in the house and I do detect a note of simularity between them. I can definately relate to your comments. However if I had to choose, I'd go with Timbuktu. Kyoto is just a little bit too strong and rough for me. Timbuktu is much gentler on my nose, and one I always wear when on holiday in places more exotic and warmer than home. Kyoto is a cool weather scent for me.

Glad I'm not the only one noticing the similarities...

I see some similarities either but, the closest thing to Kyoto is Turquoise by Herve Domar

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

IMO not similar.

To me the similarity between Kyoto and Timbuktu is very strong. In fact, the main reason I don't yet own a bottle of Timbuktu is that I already have Kyoto. I agree that they're not copies of each other, but the overall accord is the same. When I smell what I think is one of them on someone out and about, I can never say which it is. But this isn't terribly surprising to me, as they're both from Duchaufour.

Kyoto is my favorite in the CDG series. Hard to imagine anything any better, so guess I've got to try Timbuktu.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I don't smell the similarities. Well, I mean they both have incense. But I don't make the olfactory connection between the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    I have and love both but have never found them similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I don't smell any similarities between the two. They share incense but are totally different scents.

Edit: Just noticed MikeP made the same conclusions.
    +1

I smelled these side-by-side not that long ago, and didn't get the similarity at all (though they may have a common element)
    Granted, I've had Timbuktu for a long time and am VERY familiar with it, though I didn't give Kyoto a full wearing or smell it in the drydown phase.

I find the entire CdG incense series to be kind of boring (the names are more interesting than the smells), with the exception of 'Artek Standard', which is pale and linear (and has a boring name), but somehow 'fresher' and 'brighter' than its cousins in the little black bottles. YMMV.

tbh i dont get timbuktu, and Kyoto is amazing, I need a full bottle of this juice

The incense note. Yes somewhat.

for swap/sale: