Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Boxes Mailed!-- 30 Roses to sample from 30 Roses & co.

Quote Originally Posted by claresauntie View Post
    I blind-grabbed for my first go and came up with Canabis Rose.
    ...I was crushed to find Canabis Rose started with a metallic anise note that briskly turned into a pile of sweet tobacco.
    ...I wasn't fast enough and the migraine is here.
    ...I took a hot and long shower and now am lying in the dark with No.19 (my "leave me alone comfort scent") and Basenotes.
    I never smelled rose, nor did I get the munchies. On the upside, there's PLENTY left in the tester for the rest of you!*jen
    Hi Claresauntie... I contributed the Cannabis Rose, and I wish I hadn't -- I feel really badly that it gave you a migraine! (no scent is worth that!)

This is the scent that started me on the perfume quest -- in 08 I read a Chandler Burr Scent Notes column in the NYT T Magazine, in which he praised this to the skies. I had never heard perfumes critically reviewed before, so this short article was a revelation to me. I remembered the perfume's name, and a year or so later when I came acrossit I bought a bottle -- I wore it quite a bit, until I discovered other fumes (and basenotes) and, I came to no longer love this scent. But, it never gave me headaches!

Sorry that happened to you!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Dear C Rose,

I'm thankful to you for the contribution-- no perfume can be right for everyone, and I'm sure some people will find mine to be straight-up stinkers!

C Rose, please don't feel bad! Please! I know about that article and Burr's rating and it contributed to why I wanted to smell it. I was bound and determined to try it, and tickled it was in the samples!! I don't regret trying it for a tiny moment, and don't even hold IT responsible for the migriane, much less you; it's just a quirk of my chemistry. I should have known better when I realized all I was getting was tobacco and should have dealt with it immediately.

Canabis Rose seems to be quite polarizing, but tons of people work well with it. It's my hope that the rest of the folks sampling find themselves totally disagreeing with me! I read a ton of reviews last night while I was wearing it (a habit when trying a new scent) and didn't see a single other report of it being so tobacco-y. In other words, "It's not you, it's me!"

Anyway, sincere thanks for adding it in! I really appreciate it. Really!

xoxo,
    *jen
    My Top 10*:
    1. Bois des Iles (Chanel)
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    4. Miss Dior - vintage (Dior)
    5. Jolie Madame (Balmain)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)
    9. L'Air du Desert Moracain (Tauer)
    10. Medici - Italian Splendor: Florence (DSH)
    *in no particular order because it's too hard!

Sampled LPdR Diabolo Rose and AG Rose Absolue today .I liked both DR reminds me of fresh cut roses fresh, green ,and rose sappy.Similar to YSL Paris and PW Tea Rose.This is a maybe if I can find it for a good price.
    RA made me think of warm humidity and rose soap=bubble bath.This was nice ,if not quite my style.
    I appreciate the opportunity to try these in a sample pass .Thanks 30roses &Co.!

Update:
    Andy Tauer: Une Rose Chypree
    I could write poetry about this scent! Well, if I were poetic, I could. Instead, let me just explain my experience. First: a little goes a LONG way. This is potent stuff. It opened with what seemed almost like a candied rose, but with that not-so-spicy cinnamon-sugar we used to sprinkle on toast when I was little. I started to smell a citrus - I guessed orange, but I'm clearly not good with citrus notes yet. It was clementine. Bergamot, which I *still* can't pick out, is also listed.

I was starting to imagine roses in a bowl of Fruit Loops (sans milk), but somehow it wasn't childish or foody. Definitely a "green" aspect I couldn't guess (notes say Bourbon geranium - I guess that's it). About 10 minutes in, the rose opens up fully, but still has a slight tangerine tinge.

Twenty minutes later, I started picking up some slightly-spicy woody nuances, and a half an hour after that: cinnamon + rose + vetiver, all undulating.

This has a definite vintage flavor and is neither bright nor brooding. It's amazingly grounded but light, somehow. I'd wear it anywhere, but with only a slight dab... Like I said: powerful! I'm going to get my own sample and decide if this is FBW.

NOTE: I stupidly dabbed this near a slight scratch on my hand, and it's itching like mad. If you have sensitive skin, you may want to consider that, though it's probably just me.

Edited to add: the drydown also features an amazing oakmoss and labdanum and vanilla and patchouli blend that make everything super creamy and velvety. I love this scent!
    My Top 10*:
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)

Paris (YSL)
    Opening: Powder spice rose and violet. Moments later: Gone!
    A few minutes after that: It's back. And a little orange spicy, maybe?
    The violet and rose are taking turns on the dancefloor. It's lovely and powerful (80's power all the way!)

I can't believe I've never tried this! The next bottle to cross my path at the right priice is MINE.

Far drydown is powdery rose. Lovely.

Creed Fleurs de Bulgarie
    The opening was, on me, sharp and astringent -yuck. Then, a tad bit of rose... Bergamot, a bit. That's the astringency, I guess. Maybe a bit salty.

It's like sniffing a rose from afar ... Very afar.

Honestly, this is like a vase of old roses that have wilted and are molding a tiny bit. There's a whiff of soapiness, but it's like... Dirty soap? Old rose soap!

Checking the notes, I suppose the ambergris is contributing the soapy scent (and that early salt)? If there indeed is musk here, it's one to which I'm anosmic.
    Two hours later: gone.
    My Top 10*:
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)

Blog Entries

Claresauntie, love reading your impressions, keep 'em comin'! Thanks!

Testing AG Rose Splendid- I think I am getting only hints of rose with this .The primary scent I am smelling is one of the best Lily-of-the-Valley scents I have ever tried .It reminds me of Avon's discontinued Pearls&Lace -but better.FBW with ancillaries.
    Literally on the other hand(back forearm)I am testing FM Une Rose-fresh patchouli/lotv maybe a whisper of rose -okay yeah rose coming through -not too shocked about note progression on this one Katie Puckric reviewed it on Youtube pretty well .This would be my definition of a transparant woodsy rose-unlike Cabaret by Gres.Definite like -probably FBW-may end up sharing a bottle of this with my Mom if I buy some.

Hey, ya'll... I'm sad to report I have caught the family cold. Drat! I have to put my sampling on hold while I huff eucalyptus and drink OJ! I was trying to move briskly, and maybe not take the whole 4 weeks, but I can't smell the scent I have on, though my hubby and daughter say it's definitely there. Boo!!
    My Top 10*:
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Oh, too bad! Hopefully your sense of smell will come back soon!

Wearing 3 sprays of Creed's Fleurs de The Rose Bulgarie today.I find this to be a "happy scent"for me-checked the notes later and citrus and bergamot are the topnotes with bulgarian rose in the heartnotes -no wonder! I will DEFINITELY be getting some of this.
    The people who praise Creed-they are right -at least with this one!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Bookwrymsmith,

Creed certainly created potential for confusion when they named two of their fragrances so similarly.

One is Fleurs de Bulgarie and the other is Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare
    One often sees the names merged in some way. "Fleur" vs. "Fleurs", "Bulgare" vs. "Bulgarie"-- what were they thinking??? LOL

Sampling SL Sa Majest'e La Rose-reminds me of apples -fbw.
    and Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria Rosa Magnifica-rose with ashes? no--it's lily-of-the-valley .It makes it almost seem like it wanted to be a classic chypre for a few minutes. FBW

I'm probably going to have 90% of the things tested on my to-buy list . Can you hear my checking account -I think it's crying.

Hi, ya'll! I'm still grossly ill, but the ability to smell is back. I've tried a few more roses and they're greatly cheering me!

Voluer de rose (L'Artisan Parfumeur)
    Patchiuli. Dry patchouli. On me a lot of the time, patchouli takes over all else. This is one of those times. It's a nice patchouli, though!

Rose Praline (Parfums de Rosine)
    Bergamot and rose when wet, which then becomes a ver linear caramel sugar-dipped rose. It's sweet, like a praline, but not teeth achingly so. I think that's because a faint, gentle tea note balances the sweetness. This is an excellent perfume and I will be getting a decant or sample and then, probably, a bottle.

Harrod's Rose (Bond No. 9)
    Perfume + a rose. A blast of sparkling perfume and a rose. It really smelled amusingly like an effervescent generic-but-nice perfume and a big rose to me! It made me giggle. That was only for a moment, then it became big white florals (tuberose, mainly) with a huge white rose in the middle! Not too-much tuberose, not too-much rose. Well-balanced. Really nice, but it reminds me of something (not Fracas) that I think I have...maybe the heart of Carolina Herrera?

Citizen Queen (Juliette Has a Gun)
    Attempt One:Opens with uber-quick aldehydes, and then totally disappears. WTH? Must be a musk I can't pick up. Hubby and eldest child can smell it. Eventually (5-8 minutes later) a soft violet-rose with a touch of powder lying over a base of a faint amber. Despite the very faint nature, I want to say I love this. I get more from sillage than up close; this is the first time I've encountered that as a fledgling purfumista-ita.

Second wearing: Aldehydes? Check.
    Missing minutes? Nope. Straight into a rose-tinged, creamy violet and iris. There may be a pinch of patchouli in the base, but only a little. I'm going to have to get my own sample to experiment with. For one thing, I saw a review that suggested the rose is more prominent when sprayed instead of dabbed. Also, I think I love this...or maybe I want to love this. That's not the same thing. Something is bugging me about this. Maybe I just want it to be... more? Have some oomph it doesn't currently have? More research needed.

Today I decided to catch up on some sampling .
    Randomly chosen ,I tried Citizen Queen and it's a NO . Don't think so.
    Opening reminded me of a blowing dryer vent and baby powder and is trying to push me into a headache. Dried down the Iris is showwing no rose though -but still this isn't resonating with me as a Must Have. Oh well -it had been on my To Try list (which often means a purchase).Thanks 30roses ! Sampling this just saved me $$$.
    Next: Fleurs de Bulgarie.

I'm done sampling! I'll be mailing the box to its next stop by the weekend. I've written up my thoughts and will post later today.
    My Top 10*:
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)

claresauntie - Citizen Queen is like that, she sort of sneaks up on you when you thought she went away, then she really gets under your skin! Lady Vengeance (did y'all sample that rosy one?) though a completely different sort of fragrance, does the same thing. They're both wonderful perfumes, and absolutely fb-worthy, imo (I just got my own LV, and CQ is next, hee!)
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Claresauntie,

Thank you for sticking to the schedule and communicating clearly!

Evangeline, we didn't try her but I'll get a sample when I get my personal sample of Citizen Queen. I already have a passionate love for Calamity J. I might be becoming a Juliette Has a Gun fangirl.
    My Top 10*:
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)

I really appreciate the opportunity to join in this sample circle! Had you asked me a year ago, I would have said I wasn't a fan of rose scents. I'm learning so much about perfume, my sense of smell, my preferences, and my sense of (perfume) style. I was open-minded, and I'm glad I was, because I fell for quite a few of these fragrances! And although I doubt (but won't promise) I'll become a collector of straight-up rose soliflores, I will certainly prick up my ears (and nose) at the mention of rose-dominant scents.

Thanks, all! I can't wait to hear others' impressions as the boxes move forward.

In case you're curious, my notes and impressions are here: http://thisblogreallystinksperfume.b...e-reviews.html

As soon as I can get to the post office, I'll let you know.

Thanks again, 30 Roses!!

xoxo,
    *jen
    My Top 10*:
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I love your blog! Great detailed reviews-- thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Oh ..Whoops! Forgot to post here ! I mailed the package off to Warum Friday the Post Office said it should get there around Tuesday.

Hi all - if there is a backup spot available for the second box, I'd be interested. Thank you!

I'm loving reading these sample groups. I will have to join one someday, but even without being on the list I feel like I'm in on the action, getting to read your progress. Thanks 30Roses!!

P.S. A big Shout out to Juliette Has a Gun. Their sampling is great. The price was pretty good for a sample of each, and they're generous samples. Then you can use the price of them toward a FB. Good way to try each of these, and I fell for LV and CQ. Got my fb of CQ, working toward one of LV.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL View Post
    Hi all - if there is a backup spot available for the second box, I'd be interested. Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL View Post
    Yes, that is what I offered you on your other thread. Two boxes, two backup members (chouquette is the other).

These were small vials and there may not be a lot of juice left after 5 people have tested them, but probably enough to help you determine whether you want to obtain another sample to test further.

Please send me your address by PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elizrj View Post
    I'm loving reading these sample groups. I will have to join one someday, but even without being on the list I feel like I'm in on the action, getting to read your progress. Thanks 30Roses!!
    Absolutely join us when we have another one! I'm playing with ideas for the next group.

The package is on the move.

That is not a euphamism.

xoxo,
    *jen
    My Top 10*:
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)

Oh,you're funny,naughty girl!Jen,I'd like to second the thanks from 30 Roses-you got right down to sampling and entertained us with your thoughtful and sometimes hilarious impressions!Hope I find a few new loves,too!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Blog Entries

I got the roses here, everything packed beautifully and in perfect shape, thanks, Bookwyrmsmith! Uh-oh, I am going to be very busy this month!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

My goodness, you are busy, between that and the Penhaligon's! Is this too much? Do you want to change the order?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    My goodness, you are busy, between that and the Penhaligon's! Is this too much? Do you want to change the order?
    You know, this might actually be a good idea!
    I will be glad to mail to Catnip_too and then she back to me?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Warum is snowed under, having gotten the Penhaligon's and roses samples at the same time. It's just too many samples in too short a time, to do them justice.

She is going to ship the box to catnip_too, skipping her turn for now. She will get the box after bogsc, so she'll be #5 in the shipping order. I'm altering the original post to reflect this change of shipping order.

The roses are here,along with just about the cutest card I've ever seen(with roses on it,of course)!Jen,did you make this?If so,I like your style!I must try this-will probably just make a mess!
    On topic,I will start smelling the roses in a little while!

Yes, yes of course I made the card! OK, I'm totally lying, but I did personally *purchase* the card.
    xoxo,
    *jen
    My Top 10*:
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)

Oh,good-I don't have to feel so bad about my pathetic crafting skills,then!This card would be a great project for crafters but mine would probably have more glue globs than dainty little flowers!

I've started off the day with La Rose Jacqueminot-so pretty and romantic,what a shame it's no longer available(aside from e-bay and I saw some of the asking prices-WOW!).I guess I'm here to lament this one,rather than to review.I would have had to pay to sample this if not for our sampling group and I'm so grateful for the chance to wear it,especially for free!This is just the sort of thing that comes to mind for me when I think of "elegant" and "lady-like".Just beautiful.

Blog Entries

The box is on the way to catnip_too! At the post office they told me it should arrive on Monday.

Hi, I just wanted to let everyone know that I received the samples today. Thank you, Warum, for mailing the package to me!

And, once again, thank you, 30 Roses, for organizing everything and for allowing us to sample all these wonderful fragrances. I am swamped in the next couple of days, so I'll start posting my impressions shortly after that. I'm looking forward to the experience.

Oh, wow! I managed to look into the box more closely. This is a rose lover's dream come true!

Where should I start? Here are some impressions of the fragrances I sampled the last couple of days:

L'Ombre Dans L'Eau:
    I was curious about this one, as I had never tried it before, but I'd seen it mentioned here and there. Hmm, this feels rather chypre, very dry, almost austere and even bitter. It's all about green folliage, and a lot of it. I am sure the rose is somewhere there, hiding amidst the stems and branches, but it was rather overwhelmed and humbled by the green notes. Interesting... I wonder how I'd feel about it in hottest and most humid days of the summer. Right now, it is too dry for me.

Rosine Diabolo Rose
    I used my own sample of this (which I had neglected so far), so I was able to apply liberally. This is so Rosine! It is another take on a green rose, but to my nose, much more palatable than L'Ombre Dans. The name is hardly accurate because there is nothing diabolical about this fragrance. It is really tame and tries to please. It starts off very green and herby. I grow mint in my garden, so I was able to recognize the mint in the opening immediately. The green notes turn slightly darker, more intense on my skin as the fragrance develops. Interestingly, I could perceive the rose better after 6 hours of applying. It is a very pleasant fragrance, and it reminded me of Rose Praline, which I used to wear last summer, but it is greener. It is only slighlty sweet. Hmm, I wouldn't mind having a larger quantity of this in the summer. It is fresh and mouth-watering.

AG Splendide
    Yet another fresh, greenish rose. The green notes are not as deep as in Diabolo Rose, and they are certainly not so dry as in the first one. This starts as a gentle, very natural rose. As it develops, sweet notes become more apparent on the skin. In fact, the dry-down reminded me very much of Rosine's Rose Praline (I applied some of both on both wrists at the same time), but it seems to me that Rose Praline would have stronger sillage and has more depth. I applied very sparingly, though, so I could be wrong. I feel the rose quite clearly.

AG Rose Absolue Eau
    Definitely soliflore. This, compared to AG Splendide, is a more high-pitched rose, less sweet. In fact, it is difficult to discern any other notes. It smells like a certain type of Bulgarian rose oil. It is similar to Serge Lutens Sa Majeste La Rose, but in the latter, there is something that just bothers me. I am really curious about the original AG Rose Absolue. I imagine it would be softer and richer.

Serge Lutens Sa Majeste la Rose
    Yes, something in there is really bothering me. I don't think I could wear it. It could be the type of musk used.

I'll keep sniffing and will post later...

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Catnip,

The reason Diabolo Rose is called that is that it is based on a French soft drink called a Diabolo, which is lemonade with a bit of mint syrup. Hence, Diabolo Rose is a Diabolo (lemon + mint) + rose.

I make my own "Diabolo" in the summer. I buy Bigelow peppermint tea (which is solely mint, no tea.) Recipe:

1. Take one peppermint bag and steep it in 1/2 cup boiling water. Set aside to cool.

2. Take 2 lemons and slice thinly, rind and all. Place slices in 2 L. pitcher or bowl, alternating slices with with 1 cup sugar and/or sweetener.

3. Use a potato masher to mash the sugar/lemon mixture for about 5 minutes, which releases the juice and lemon oil from the rinds.

4. Add cold water, stir to dissolve the sugar and strain the lemonade. Repeat several times to get all the juice from the spent rinds.

5 Add the peppermint tea and top off with ice. Enjoy!

This makes sense. Thanks for the recipe! I must try it. (Diabolo Rose is not really lemony to me, and the mint is mostly in the beginning, but, yes, it is refreshing.)

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

That is interesting, catnip-- I get the mint for hours, and a definite lemon note. Different skins...

The reason Diabolo Rose is called that is that it is based on a French soft drink called a Diabolo, which is lemonade with a bit of mint syrup. Hence, Diabolo Rose is a Diabolo (lemon + mint) + rose.
    THAT'S what it is!!I was thinking Mint Julep sprinkled with rose petals,minus the alcohol,which I guess would defeat the purpose of a julep!I was amazed at the longevity of the citrus and especially the mint notes and the way they stayed so fresh throughout this scent's development.Different skin types at play on this one,it sounds.I loved it and I also was very impressed with Praline Rose-roses and chocolate!Easy win with me -I'm a chocoholic so I couldn't miss the cocoa powder note here.These are both so well done that I will definitely be doing more Rosine sampling.

I have worked my way through the Goutals,as well and I love the sweetly delicate nature of all of these.These are the first scents I have tried from this house-I'm just guessing this airy delicacy is a house signature?I like them all,with Ce Soir Ou Jamais being my favorite of these-I love its deep,overripe Damask Rose.Like an end of season rose just left on the bush to decay-this rose isn't there yet but has been left long enough for its outer petals to darken and dry.And Quel Amour!-extra points to this one for being a playful and fun fruity floral without being sugary or childish.I love a good berry-rose scent and this one is probably now one of my favorites for that type of rose.

I have also learned that I need to do some DSH sampling-American Beauty has such a pure,clear rose note!That's an accomplishment,what with all that patchouli competing for my attention,too!I like patchouli but I have to confess it wears me down after wearing it awhile.My skin projects it like crazy and unless it's very well-blended,almost hidden,it just overwhelms me.Having said that,I still really enjoyed American Beauty's development.This is a very special fragrance for someone out there and I'm sure upon more sampling I could find a DSH scent that's more "me".I do like her style.
    More on our roses later!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 3rd March 2011 at 07:36 PM.

Okay, I was able to reflect some more on the weekend.

Evelyn C & E
    This is the truest to Bulgarian rose oil I’ve smelled. I have a few vintage Bulgarian rose oil vials, and the rose in them is bright and lively.

Yet, interestingly, the smell of the actual Bulgarian rose, the flower itself, used in the production of the oil (which I had the fortune to smell last year) is really soft and pink, without any sharpness—if anything, it is closer to Montale Roses Musk, though I've never come across a perfume that smells exactly like it. Well, Evelyn is a sparkling, vivacious rose, which feels very natural. I like it, and I think I can wear it in the summer.

Frederic Malle Une Rose
    I am not good at distinguishing the different types of roses, but it seems that the Turkish rose listed here is similar to Bulgarian rose oil. At any rate, this is a high-octave rose. It also a rose with its greenish thorns preserved. I like patchouli, but I don’t really sense it here. The vetiver, however, is more obvious to me in the base, and it manages to lend a touch of playfulness and spark to create composition that may feel sharp otherwise. I don’t think I can wear it often, but I feel drawn to it nevertheless.

Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    Oh, it is just the opposite of the thorny, unyielding demands of Une Rose. It does start off like an old-fashioned lipstick. Une Rose doesn’t have any powdery quality, to my nose. Being powdery, however, is such an inherent property of Lipstick Rose. It is rather true to its name (in fact, it vaguely reminded me of some of L’Oreal lipsticks I tried years ago), but, of course, it is much sweeter. The effect is a soft, fairly sweet, powdery fragrance. I even found the sweet, rosy powder in the dry-down reminiscent of Keiko Mecheri’s Loukhoum.

JHG Citizen Queen
    I had already sampled Midnight Oud and Lady Vengeance and found them somewhat simplistic and hastily done, so I approached Citizen Queen with apprehension. I was pleasantly surprised, however, as this is a fairly complex and intriguing fragrance. The leather emerges immediately, too. It has just the right amount of sweetness, without becoming sticky or fruity. As the fragrance develops, it becomes softer. Yes, certainly, there is rose in there (rich and mature—not a pale pink bud), but Citizen Queen seems keen on telling another story. I couldn’t find incense listed in the official notes, but I thought I felt some. The scent itself is somewhat dry and moderately dark.

I thought about the name of the fragrance, and I couldn’t find a lot of explanations of the Internet. A “Citizen Queen” seems to be an oxymoron, but, well, if this is a queen, she must have just come back from hunting, riding her own horse, displaying all of the horse’s fine leather accouterments.

I am also just reading a fascinating novel by Michelle Moran—Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution —so a citizen queen could be any of the women finding themselves on the Parisian streets during these times of patriotic excitement, but also terror. She is standing close to a smoking fire, perhaps also close to saddled horses, and her rose perfume is mingling with the smell of slightly smoky leather.

Or my imagination might conjure up Josephine, Napoleon’s first wife, whose name was actually Rose de Beauharnais before she married the Corsican officer. She was a mere “citizen,” as was everyone else who wanted to survive at this time, when she married the future emperor, yet she found herself living in Marie Antoinette’s rooms and, practically, functioned as queen when her husband reached the crest of his powers.

Or, for that matter, it could stand for any daring, confident woman.

After a couple of hours, for some reason, it reminded me of Narciso Rodriguez for Her.

It's been a lot of fun. I'll try a few more this coming week.
    Last edited by catnip_too; 7th March 2011 at 03:49 AM.

Here are some more impressions:

Tea Rose
    I was very curious about this one and was even tempted to buy it blind. I’ve read many comments describing it as the quintessential rose and naming it a most realistic rose (if not the most realistic). Yes, it is pretty realistic, though I’d never smelled a rose with such an intense aroma. It is a rather heady. The bergamot in the beginning is giving it a green undertone. Whenever I smell a rose fragrance, I can typically envision its color: It may be pink, or red, or yellow. Here, though, the rose could be any color. I can picture the petals, perfectly shaped, and the flower itself perfectly arranged and displayed. It is a showy rose.

From such a traditional rose scent, I’m moving on to much more abstract, barely-there roses:

Harrods Rose
    Hmm, is this really about rose? Nevertheless, this is a very nice, soft, white-flower scent. I can actually feel the tuberose much better than the rose. There is a curious, slightly spicy note in the very beginning. It could be the narcissus. I have to investigate this particular flower better. Overall, this smells sophisticated and just a bit retro—in a very good way. It seems very appropriate for spring.

L’Artisan Voleur de Roses
    Yes, I agree with Claresauntie. This is straight patch on me. I like patchouli, in general, but I wish the rose had more presence here.

American Beauty
    Quick impressions: Dark, even pungent opening. Is this what some may call a Gothic rose? It’s fairly dry. It softens gradually, but remains dark and brooding. The earthy patchouli in the dry-down is intensified by the labdanum and orris root. Turns out orris root and labdanum don’t work well for me in a combination.

I’m looking forward to trying some of the rest.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm enjoying reading your(and others') impressions, catnip_too!

Over the weekend, I was able to try some more samples. Some of my earlier comments were about fresh realistic roses, roses whose petals were still sparkling with dew (this was Evelyn for me and Rose Splendide, for example, as well as the pert, but rather opinionated FM Une Rose.)

The last ones I tried were more of an important accent in the composition, rather than the clearly dominating presence.

I had tried Coriandre before but had no memory of it. I immediately thought, “Chypre!” when I smell it, and, indeed, it is darkly green. Is this how coriander smells? I don’t know, but it is complex, spicy, and perfume-y, in the best sense of the word. The rose has a rather abstract quality, and the patchouli is wonderful as it develops. This is an evening fragrance. The dry-down strongly reminded me of Guerlain Rose Barbare, with its earthy patchouli and tart rose.

I wish I had discovered Cannabis Rose when I was obsessed with patchouli. The patchouli here is surprisingly smooth. It is curiously bitter and sweet at the time. The rose is sweet, almost thick after an hour of application. This is a great rose-patchouli combination. It does make me think of roses and chocolate. It is also a bit too masculine for me.

I feel fortunate that I was able to try the rare Rose of Kali. What an exotic name for an exotic fragrance! It is very similar in mood to Cannabis Rose as it also very rich, smooth, and chocolaty, although the chocolate is not exactly literal for me. I like both benzoin and agarwood, and they are both prominent here. There is a touch of spice that I cannot identify, but I like it. I cannot feel the pear at all if it’s there.

I am grateful for the opportunity to try these classic, niche, or rare rose scents. Some new favorites have emerged, and I’d like to get more of them: the fresh, mouth-watering Diabolo Rose and the romantic Rose Splendide. Others have piqued my curiosity and I know I’d have to investigate them better—Rose of Kali, for example, or Citizen Queen. I was reminded of some great classic aldehydic beauties, like Ungaru Diva (thank you, Bookwyrsmith, for including it).
    Last edited by catnip_too; 16th March 2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: spelling

I’ll be ready to send the package to the next person in the end of this week (most likely on Thursday or Friday). For the person next in line: Could you please p.m. me your address?

Many heartfelt thanks again to 30 Roses, who organized everything, and who was generous with both her time and samples! It was my first participation in a sample group, and I truly enjoyed it.

P.S. I am including two small samples of JO Ta'if and a larger one of Hermessence Rose Ikebana. I am sorry I couldn't get organized to send these in the very beginning, but there were too many things going at that time.
    Last edited by catnip_too; 15th March 2011 at 01:40 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

catnip_too, thank you for your generosity as well-- and all who post their views. Time is precious, and the time spent posting your impressions is a gift to all who read these threads, perhaps in the hope of finding a new fragrance to love. This thread alone has had over 2700 views. That is a lot of people interested in learning about rose perfumes!
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 15th March 2011 at 02:33 PM.

Blog Entries

hello 30 roses did anyone filled for room 5 yet?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Hi Weimar27-- I think you mean the Malone samples, and no, no one yet. It is possible there won't be anyone else interested in trying those.

Time is precious, and the time spent posting your impressions is a gift to all who read these threads, perhaps in the hope of finding a new fragrance to love.
    It is hard to make time for everything in life but I find posting heightens the educational experience when participating in these groups.Emily Dickinson said(and I may not be verbatim here)"How can I know what I think until I read what I've written?"It does help to process all these perfumes!And I love it when a discussion ensues because of a post.

I'm closing in on these roses,wearing Voleur De Roses right now and have only the Diptyque left to go.There are quite a few rosy-patchouli types in this box and this is my least favorite of these.The patchouli is much more medicinal in this one;all the others are more creamy.For this sort of thing,I(still)like American Beauty best and prefer both Rose of Kali and Cannabis Rose to Voleur de Roses.I haven't found anything I would consider a bad scent here,other than I especially didn't care for Harrod's Rose.I didn't get a lot of rose with it;it was mainly tuberose and musk on me.Just not for me.

I loved Coriandre and I hoped I would,for a very silly reason-it was released the year I was born!I do remember this one;an older sister of one of my childhood playmates always had this and no other perfume on her dresser.It smelled fantastic on her and I loved being at their house when she was getting ready to go out so I could smell it freshly sprayed.It happily worked for me,too-rosy green chypres are my favorite sort of chypre,I think.This stayed fairly linear on me,which was fine-some things just don't need to be complicated.There are a lot of notes here,none of which override or outshine the others,so in that respect it is a complex scent.I'll be tracking down some vintage Coriandre.

Citizen Queen has gained yet another fan,I can see a lot of people falling for it.The suede note is very modern yet this scent has a bit of retro floating around in there,too!I swear I pick up a little nod to Chanel No.5's aldehydes-not just like them but it did remind me of Chanel in that sense quite a bit.It also has a cool,crisp iris note running through it and the way the iris is handled reminds me a little of another floral aldehyde I like very much:Iris Poudre.I think this is more wearable as an anytime,anywhere fragrance than either of those two,though.Really enjoyed sampling this and I'm glad to know there's a house out there doing this type of scent so well.

And finally,I have tried my first Creeds!Didn't know what to expect based on the threads here;I had noted some time back that I would like to try Fleur de The Rose Bulgare,in spite of the price.I have long wanted a pretty,happy tea rose scent for warm weather but never seemed to really enjoy any tea roses I tried.I had my Goldilocks moment with this one-it is just right!LOVE the sharp bergamot opening and this really is one of the most gorgeous rose notes I've smelled.It's a pink rose that never loses it fresh green notes,yet becomes velvety and slightly spicy.The amber base is the perfect counterpoint to the sharper notes and it is all so well blended.Not too soapy,too powdery,too linear,too complicated,too sharp nor too soft.It just isn't "too much" or "not enough" of anything.Love it!Thanks to 30 Roses for the opportunity to purchase a reasonable amount of this fragrance at a fair price!I don't know what I'll do after this if it is truly being discontinued.
    'Til next time!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 16th March 2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: sp

I can completely relate to PerfumedLady's perception of Fleur de The Rose Bulgare (I, too, had purchased a decant from 30 Roses before I received the package). It feels just right: Just the right touch of green, just the right touch of airiness, just the right touch of almost acquatic roses. It is a very versatile and easy to wear fragrance. I tried a small sample for the first time last summer and fell in love.

On another note, I wanted to let you know that I mailed the package today to Tourbillion. It should reach her in 2-3 business day.

Catnip_too,it does sound like we experience FdTRB in much the same way!Thanks for sharing that,and for all of your excellent reviews.I've enjoyed sampling these at the same time as you-I agree with so many of your impressions and our loves/likes from these boxes are eerily similar!In particular,I thought you really nailed it with Lipstick Rose and Une Rose.I didn't sample those this time as I just did recently in Roses' Malle floral pass.I fell in love with Une Rose at that time and even though it sounds as though I'm more addicted to it than you are,you explained perfectly why I love it so.And Lipstick Rose is just pure,bottled fun!

The box is on its way to Al Gae as of this morning.I did end up enjoying L'Ombre dans L'Eau very much.I did get quite a lot of rose with this one,along with greenery done in Diptyque's fantastically fresh and cool way.I like this house very much and for those interested,they do have a couple of other scents(of those I've tried)with rose as the dominant floral:Eau Lente and Vetyverio.Eau Lente is a spice bomb on a very resinous base;rose is the only floral I'm able to pick up in it.Vetyverio is another green rose,this time with vetiver(of course!)and I believe I also detect a little iris.

I'm very grateful for the chance to try every one of these fragrances,THANK YOU to everyone who donated roses and to 30 Roses for being so generous with her own wardrobe.I found a lot(too many) of fragrances that I would consider purchasing and the ones that weren't for me still offered me a priceless learning opportunity.I feel as if I've just gotten a very detailed crash course in roses!I really can't thank you all enough.
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 18th March 2011 at 02:26 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I have just ordered a bottle of Pacifica Persian Rose after having sampled the solid, received from someone on Perfume of Life. Here is the Pacifica page for the product line:

http://www.pacificaperfume.com/fragrance/persian-rose

And the description of the notes found on the page for the spray:

"Fun, fresh and fantastic, Pacifica Spray Perfume is made with natural denatured alcohol and Pacifica's signature fragrance blends with essential and natural oils. Classic and elegant with Bulgarian rose, subtle violet, myrrh and delicate fruit."

I find this a lemony rose, very pleasant and easy to wear.

I got the package yesterday. Wore Praline Rose today; why isn't it in the directory? Anyway, my boyfriend likes that one, but he usually likes white flowers.

*The real Tourbillion (cat) is also enjoying this; she is sniffing the box and the plastic wrap intently.

Tourbillion, I am glad you received it! Thank you for letting all us know.

I have to tell you now that one of my cats also found the box very interesting. He kept sniffing it any time I took it out, trying to stick his nose in it. My other cat didn't care.

Good morning ladies! I arrived home from a very long Monday at work to find that the sample box had arrived! I sprayed on a bit of Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare as I drifted to sleep. Very rosy, that's about all the further I got!

Today I'm wearing Sa Majesté la Rose to work. Which is something I'd have never done a year ago. Very nice and green, kind of walking a line between bright green and lightly powdery floral. I know powdery is a funny word, not actually descriptive of anything, but it's an impression I get from a lot of florals; I actually search for dry, crisp florals, and am uncomfortable in more powdery fragrances. That's when I feel I'm starting to veer into overly feminine territory. Sa Majeste walks the line nicely, it's a little powdery, but no so much that I'm turned off!

I'll do my best to leave impressions as I go. I'll probably experience notes and combinations I'm not familiar with - you might get a lot of "it smells rosy", but the impressions will improve as the month progresses. Looking forward to this!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm bumping this in the hope of some reviews.

Hey everybody! I've been very short on time lately, but have been wallowing in the Roses. Looks like I've got about a week left with this box, and I'm halfway through the samples. I'm clearly not going to get to all of them, although I'm starting dual samples in the evening - we'll see how far we get. I've made peace with letting a few of these go...

Since I've been short on time (and I'm laaazy), I'm copying and pasting a bit here from a PM to my pal PerfumedLady. So, hope you don't mind the repetition amiga...

Some highlights have been Voleur de Roses, American Beauty, and somewhat surprisingly, Sa Majeste la Rose. It kind of reminded me of Blenheim Bouquet in the usage of green notes with the rose, and the slight powder edge, but I felt like it really subtly walked a line between being a powdery rose and a green fresh rose.

Voleur was nice, you're right about the play of patchouli and rose, the patch really "butches" out the note, not so much as to be overly masculine but certainly enough to be comfortably worn by a man.

I found American Beauty to be quite stunning, I actually "mmm'd" out loud upon smelling the top notes. Spicy! bit of rose, then the spice recedes enough for the rose to become the star, but not waiting long to fold the patchouli seamlessly into the mix, some of the residual spices still lingering. My only complaint was longevity, but my skin was kind of eating up scents for a few days there, so I'm hoping there's enough to try once more. Although this one seems hard to find, perhaps I shouldn't try to love it too much...

Others I've tried so far: Cannabis Rose. I did find this to be a nice patchouli, sweet and woody, a bit earthy, but the rose was conspicuously absent. Just me? A few other reviewers had similar experiences...

I didn't hate Harrod's Rose, but it didn't do a whole lot for me. A fairly flowery presentation of a fairly realistic rose, bit of generic fruit on top, nothing special...

However I didn't care much for Paris. I cared for it so little, I'm not even going to waste my time describing it...

I found True Rose to be quite reminiscent of Elisabethan Rose - very straightforward, um, true, rose note, very little else, not too much greenery, certainly too powdery for me to wear. But nice to smell...

Tea Rose (perfumer's workshop) was quite nice as well. Actually I'm having a hard time remembering exactly what I think of it. Should have been taking better notes...
    Edit: I haven't tried True Rose yet, I tried Tea Rose. So, the description above for True Rose is actually for Tea Rose. Which, I've discovered, is quite close to a rose bush we've got in the yard.

And most recently I tried out La Rose Jacqueminot. Color me impressed. Fruity, juicy rose up top, sticks around for quite a while, and then the musky, fading floral drydown was downright sexy. Traditional, sure, but was this really created in 1906? Awesome. Not for me, but I'd love to give this as a gift. Which appears semi-impossible. Oh well!

--End copy and paste. Since I wrote that I've tried a few more (in rough chronological order):

Evelyn - I should have taken better notes here too. I recall Evelyn as a slightly fruity, quite powdery rose. I think I put this one on in the evening and kind of lost interest (the powdery vibe can do that to me), so can't vouch for the dry-down... There, that's probably the least descriptive review I've ever done...

Diabolo Rose - I thought this was nice, but didn't strike me as anything spectacular. The green opening was nice, you get a little rose in there but it's still nice, fresh, a little bracing. I get the peppermint... Then in the heart I get into the familiar rose-white floral, powdery rose note, strong. I think we know where I go from here...

Citizen Queen - I wanted to like this one, I like the aesthetic of Juliette has a Gun, and it looked promising. Rose? Yes. Iris? Present. Leather? Always. Looking forward to telling people I'm wearing "Citizen Queen"? Uh... Anyway, didn't have to worry about that last part - I like rose, and I like iris, but the interplay between the two of them make for a bit of a powdery mess on me. And with the immortelle, I get a vibe of a soft powdery rose on a bed of candied patchouli. I know, there's no patch in there, but it reminded me of a sweet patchouli I smelled in a recent essential oil smelling binge. I think this would be drop-dead sexy on the right lady, and could be pulled off by some of the more adventuresome dudes here, but not quite for me.

Une Rose Chyprée - I really liked the leather in the drydown. The opening kind of turned me off, blindingly strong and "old-lady-ish" to me (no offense of course!), but as it dried down, the rose is subtle, more of a dried, potpourri rose with a bit of spice, on a very nice leather note. Definitely unisex in the drydown, just depends on how you like your leather.

And I think we're about caught up. I'll be sure to get this puppy in the mail right around 4/21. I'm still definitely going to try Une Rose and Rose of Kali, and then see what else my blind grab method can get through in the next week. I had to take a few days off in the middle - man cannot live on Rose alone!

Oh, and I'm seriously thinking about looking into getting some American Beauty, and will likely sample Sa Majeste and Velour a bit more. Great sampling so far!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Al, wow! You do come through with reviews, I have to hand it to you!

But don't send the box on without trying them all! Just write about the ones you like the best-- or don't write any more reviews at all, if it gets in the way of testing the scents.

The main idea is to try them, for your own sake. The reviews (much as we like to read them) matter far less.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gae View Post
    Since I've been short on time (and I'm laaazy), I'm copying and pasting a bit here from a PM to my pal PerfumedLady. So, hope you don't mind the repetition amiga...
    No,I don't mind at all,amigo!I was thinking your impressions(especially about American Beauty)were just too good to be read by me alone.I love the new reviews,too!

Ladies,don't let Al fool you-he's lying about being lazy!He's super busy as he is an insane workaholic but when he does find time to gather his thoughts on fragrance,those thoughts are well worth waiting for!Nice job,Al!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 15th April 2011 at 05:03 PM.