Code of Conduct

Default Is the market oversaturated?

I was in the fragrance department of Fenwicks yesterday and started to think about how much is out there at the moment. There seem to be flankers of flankers and every designer (however obscure) appears to want to bring out a fragrance. This would appear to impact on the quality of product which is why most of us stick with old favourites or dip into the niche market. With the exception of Dior Homme, I am struggling to think of any truly groundbreaking fragrances issued in recent years within the mainstream. Pehaps I was just having a bit of a jaded day....

Default Re: Is the market oversaturated?

Yes, spot on.
    Smellin good

I think it is to a certain extent! Just like the music market, but fragrance isn't as bad yet.

Next thing you know, they'll have DIY perfume kits and everybody will be bedroom perfumers just like there's an overabundance of bedroom music producers.

In the end, art is art and everybody is entitled to express it. It just makes it more difficult to find the gems.

Time to differentiate fragrance companies!

None of that insipid-1000-times-done-over boring releases!

There are more consumers today than there were a decade ago, also today it costs much less to cater to the demand than it did a decade ago. So obviously there were be plenty of choice. Whether that choice is quality or not rests with the end user.

The market may be a bit oversaturated, but further variety and diversity seems to always create new followers and new customer groups

90% of the stuff on sale is crap, anyway, and scent manufacturers know that. Only 5-10% of all the sents sell well. That's why the shelf huggers are replaced by new products every 6 months, hypes are created (on basenotes e.g.), and we get flankers without end.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis View Post
    90% of the stuff on sale is crap, anyway, and scent manufacturers know that. Only 5-10% of all the sents sell well. That's why the shelf huggers are replaced by new products every 6 months, hypes are created (on basenotes e.g.), and we get flankers without end.
    Yes! And the flankers (Not all the time, but in many cases) is a marketing attempt to milk every last drop of value from the already exhausted fragrance product.

Indeed it is so. Fahrenheit Aqua is an exeption, Fahrenheit Absolute too. I must stress out that there are few gems such as Ferragamo F and F Black, Lancome Hypnose Homme, Versace Pour Homme (oh boy chicks dig that one), CH Chic for men (oh boy, chicks dig that one too), Joop Thrill Man, JC Dirty English etc. So all in all, yes, the market is quite saturated but in all the masses of fragrances, great ones occour

As a beginner I can relate to this topic. I've sniffed about three frags per day since the beginning of the year at the two main department stores here. It occurred to me the other day that I hadn't as yet even made even eye contact with half of what is on offer.
    But I'm getting there

Spot on.

From 2000 until 2011 I can count on one hand the truly special releases amongst designers.
    M7
    Gucci PH
    TdH
    Dior Homme (even though I cant stand it)
    Rive Gauche PH

Not very good for 11 yrs worth.

Compare that vs the 80's or 70's.

Too much unoriginal junk.

Rompip,

You are right to include Gucci PH, M7 and TdH- all very original and revolutionary for their time but of these three only TdH seems to be going strong. Gucci PH and M7 seem to be being muscled out so that Gucci and YSL can introduce more bland scents to the market. Hermes appear to me to have real integrity and still support their old releases (Bel Ami and Equipage) in one form or other.

Totally over saturated, each new release desperately struggling to move from 1.3% market share to 1.5%.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

The fragrance market takes advantage of users' constant search for the promise of 'something new and different', although many new fragrances are hardly that.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Ultimately it's all just there in order to help you focus and define your preferences.

OK, this is just my opinion and I could be looking at this wrongly... so no need to sharpen the pike poles.

If the OP is about "man, there sure is a lot of shite in the marketplace now!" or "man, the menu is too farkin huge, i just can't decide!", I agree to an extent. Then again, thanks to BN specifically and similar relatvely recent sources of such info in general, I don't need nor desire to try everything that comes out. Others with much better noses that I, do so, critique, I read, and perhaps I get interested.

But, from a maketing viewpoint all one has to do is google the words 'mens fragrance market dynamics' or similar and there is plenty of info (notice I was careful not to write 'facts') most seeming to point in the same direction. Read up. British males have increased their purchases of celebrity frags by 2%! To get more out of the aging demographic, market penetration is the answer! So on and so forth. More celebrity frags and more flankers on the horizon seems logical. It's business, right? If the industry were chock full of philanthropic houses or houses that survived on artistic endowments, perhaps it would be different. Even the most adulated product, or more importantly the house that makes the most adulated product must survive the ultimate test: the maketplace.

Those frequenting BN probably constitute the smallest of upper tail slivers on a bell-shaped curve re market product familiarity and quality discrimination. Like it or not, the real money / market share is had catering to a much larger segment about 'the average', for what that may mean.

Industry marketing peeps, please correct my opinion if it is off base.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    The market may be a bit oversaturated, but further variety and diversity seems to always create new followers and new customer groups
    True

it is a big market, not sure if it is oversaturated yet. It seems very tied into the fortunes of Luxury Corporations, and consumer demand for products from those companies. I don't think that has reached its peak yet, maybe in a couple of years

and i guess the development of new scent compounds are currently being invested in, so we can continue to smell different things. But eventually that will run its course and fewer new smells will be produced

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    I think it is to a certain extent! Just like the music market, but fragrance isn't as bad yet.

Next thing you know, they'll have DIY perfume kits and everybody will be bedroom perfumers just like there's an overabundance of bedroom music producers.

In the end, art is art and everybody is entitled to express it. It just makes it more difficult to find the gems.
    True

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Not over saturated just overwhelming ! Theres space out there for eveyone but saying that I do seem to have a constant must try list that never seems to get any shorter .

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Not over saturated just overwhelming ! Theres space out there for eveyone but saying that I do seem to have a constant must try list that never seems to get any shorter .
    LOL! Don't tell my i-phone!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

I think it's just a phase in the industry development. Much like electronics, the shelf life or lifecycle of a fragrance product has grown shorter & shorter. The 'early adopters' will sample the latest. The 'late adopters' will wait until a fragrance has garnered significant no. of positive reviews before venturing out to purchase, sometimes blindly. The frag geeks may study the 'specs', gather feedback from experienced noses or 'early adopters', & then cherrypick a select group of fragrances based on personal preferences.
    Experience will somehow tell you which release to ignore & where to look for the gems.

Blame it on yourself

The western countries are just to rich, and love to consume crap.

There are so many "celebrity" perfumes out there, with no other goal then to earn money on a person fame. If consumers would stick to those perfume makers who show integrity and honesty in their products, the market would be completely different.

And this goes for the clothing industry too, and music, movies and......

Not only are there 1Million.....different fragrances, they spend so much money on the marketing of the product that the actual juice itself is irrelevant to a lot of these hype first and quality second companies. It's not only the designer fragrances that are the culprit as a lot of niche fragrances that are doing the same thing except they're upping the ante by charging $150.00 or more to just have the bottle itself and the elaborate packaging it comes in. It's robbery not art.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    It's robbery not art.
    Only if You are dependent. A free mind would dismiss all that new/revealing/get-laid nonsense. Of course the market is obersaturated by 990%. Because people in the industry don't know what You want and which could be 'good'. There are only few, Jicky, Shalimar, #5, Cool Water.

There are four big multinationals (IFF, Firmenich, Givaudan and Symrise) eagerly working in new aromachemicals in order to replace the ones that are becoming public due to the expiration of their patents. Thus, they are pressing industries to release new blends that are going to pay for reserach and development operations. Plus, add to this the fact that production costs are dropping. That is the reason why more scents is not synonimous of differentiation.

As long as you guys buy 100+ bottles, I wouldn't say the market is oversaturated.
    I would say undersaturated even!

I don't really care because I don't want to sample the usual "chemical mess" frags on the shelves at the local stores.

Yes indeed. I don`t even bother testing most of the new boring designer-stuff the companies are "pumping" out on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by joelarner View Post
    Is the market oversaturated?
    No. The market will absorb many more releases. And, has been noted, the market (consumption) is growing.

and every designer (however obscure) appears to want to bring out a fragrance.
    More evidence the market is not saturated - they enter the market anticipating a profit.

This would appear to impact on the quality of product which is why most of us stick with old favourites or dip into the niche market.
    Maybe, maybe not. There is an awful lot of 'back catalogue' (ie, great fragrances) to exhaust (ie still to find). Look at this thread on best discoveries of 2010:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/266...covery-of-2010

With the exception of Dior Homme, I am struggling to think of any truly groundbreaking fragrances issued in recent years within the mainstream. Perhaps I was just having a bit of a jaded day....
    This is a semi-regular question on the forums. Other posters have identified some good fragrances. And if I had time I'd search for some of those threads.

Here's one about 2010 releases - have you sampled them all?

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/267...orite-releases

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    No. The market will absorb many more releases. And, has been noted, the market (consumption) is growing.
    I think if we look from another perspective, say, the emerging middle-class in many developing nations, with the rise of income levels and demographics who are able to afford these products, then yes the market of consumption is definitely growing. Perhaps we shouldn't look at markets from a global perspective, rather from a regional or even sub-regional level e.g. certain fragrances marketed in certain regions of the world.

Good point you make!

Dr Rudi,

It is difficult to sample all the new releases but I am a regular visitor to the many large department stores in my area (one of which carries the whole Tom Ford Range, Armani Prive and Chanel Les Exclusifs) and try to sample as much as possible in the hope of finding another great scent. I stick with my point that I have not sampled anything recently which grabs me .

I find it quite sad that designers release fragrances now with what appears to be little quality control and a cynical attempt to get the consumer to part with his cash in exchange for a bottle which will be discontinued once the advertising budget is required for the next release. I know that I sound jaded but I love fragrances and still have that thrill when I find an obscure or new fragrance on my trips abroad. I just find the current crop tired and unadventurous. A good example of this would be Chanel Bleu which was widely anticipated (I love most of the Chanel line) but was a disappointment as it seemed to be geared towards satisfying everyone. I realise that this is business and you need to maximise your profits but where is the boldness of Antaeus or Egoiste.

My original point, I believe, was that the market appears oversaturated in the classic sense when there is a rush to bring products before demand diminishes and that in so doing the quality of the product is often sacrificed on the altar of profit. I think that I just wish that there were a few more risks being taken especially in such a buoyant market.

I realise that this is business and you need to maximise your profits but where is the boldness of Antaeus or Egoiste.
    I believe that Chanel needs good selling fragrances like Bleu to keep the great stuff like Antaeus/Egoiste/LesExclusifs on the market. Let's just hope their next release will be a classic again. Until then I'm having really great fun with Les Exclusifs. Just discovered this line this year. Got 2 bottles and at least 3 more on my wanted list, hehe.

to expand a bit more on what pluran said - i think it's good for us overall. there are over 50 patchouli based scents to try today, that really helps us to zero in on a patchouli scent of our liking. same with other.

i recently sampled Xerjoff scents. most of the scents from their shooting star series smells of really high quality versions of previously doen scents. im confused with the names as of now but i guess ill do a small note on it. the scent it has been inspired from however are Gucci Nobile, Nikos Sculpture, Polo explorer and likes. i think it's great coz they really come across as being made of high quality ingredients.

I say Yes for sure.....There are good things that come from this and bad things also......We take the good with the bad.....The key in all of this is to sample before making a purchase.....Gary

Philosophy of contemporary fragrance industry is so P&G:

World is growing rapidly.
    Tens of millions of people each year have (for the first time in life) enough money to buy fragrance / machine detergent / deodorant...
    Lets create as fast as we can!
    Lets create as many as possible!
    Lets advertise as much as technology allows as!

Cheers friends and don't believe the hype!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Not only are there 1Million.....different fragrances, they spend so much money on the marketing of the product that the actual juice itself is irrelevant to a lot of these hype first and quality second companies. It's not only the designer fragrances that are the culprit as a lot of niche fragrances that are doing the same thing except they're upping the ante by charging $150.00 or more to just have the bottle itself and the elaborate packaging it comes in. It's robbery not art.
    I feel like this needs a bump. Regarding the bottles fragrances come in, that's another death battle for market share. If only the fragrances were half as interesting as everything that is created around them.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    If only the fragrances were half as interesting as everything that is created around them.
    Excellently put

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    The key in all of this is to sample before making a purchase.....Gary
    Quote Originally Posted by Paninaro View Post

Cheers friends and don't believe the hype!
    Agreed. It's great that as discerning consumers we continue to ask ourselves.. is this full-bottle-worthy?

For example, its like this piece of fitness equipment. I personally will never buy it. Unbelievably some people do.

It's like a man going to the store to buy a shotgun, walking into an aisle filled with BB guns, and wondering if the market is over-saturated.

It has been for years. Which is exactly why I have such great respect for a house such as PdN.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....