Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paul Sebastian by Paul Sebastian

I was shopping online over at Scentiments and stumbled upon one of my favorite fragrances: Paul Sebastian. I couldn't help but notice that there were over 620 reviews online about this cologne on Scentiments. That is a wicked amount of reviews. This fragrance has somewhat of a cult following but it doesn't seem to get much play over here on Basenotes. What is that?

To me, the longevity and sillage is some of the best I have ever experienced. PS comes across classy and refined to my nose.

Thoughts about Paul Sebastian?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Paul Sebastian by Paul Sebastian

I have it. I like it. It's a bit overly potent these days and it has more than a little similarity to Old Spice. It's a bit of an 80s powerhouse that never made the cut to be considered that much of a classic.

Some Basenoters, especially younger Basenoters are not that into the Old Spice kinda vibe.

It's nicer than it gets credit for being. Some of that due to the fact it's pretty cheap and easily obtainable. I got mine at CVS for $28.

Post Thanks / Like

I like it, but I would not call home about it.
    Good value for its price.
    ButI like Casual from PS much better

Was given it as a gift and passed it on as quickly as I received it.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a nice enough scent. A bit overused back in the day, so I have a hard time wanting to wear it. For a younger person who doesn't remember smelling it on everyone, it might work well. It was almost as ubiquitous as Aqua di Gio for a time back in the early '80s.

There are more than a few "men's" frags that are structured the same way. There is clear citrus on top, there are florals (jasmine, iris, and/or heliotrope, perhaps another, such as carnation) and spices, there is an animalic note, and the base is amber/vanilla with sandalwood (not the "good stuff" of course), patchouli, and possibly a couple others, like leather or oakmoss. The base is rather creamy in these kinds of frags. What I've found is that some come across as a synthetic blob whereas others are much better (like vintage Chaps). If I sampled PS it would a long time ago, and I don't have a recollection of it. However, because I have a few of these frags now (ones I consider quite good), I don't have a need to sample it (got too many bottles now anyway LOL). One big problem these days is the difference between vintage and new formulations. The new stuff is usually bad in more than one way, and unless I know it is not I don't even bother trying to sample it or obtain a sample vial.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I find it to be one of the worst fragrances ever created in the history of perfumery.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

It's a nice smell on the right person, but like Polo and Drakkar, it's too easily identified and it's had its day. But, hey, it had a great run. I always associate it with a Lexus car salesman my in-laws were dealing with back in the day.

Only good for the mature set (no offense intended) these days.

fountain

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I find it to be one of the worst fragrances ever created in the history of perfumery.

i second your emotion totally, even though i still have loads to learn as far as the history of perfumery is concerned.

Post Thanks / Like

I love PS. I wasn't impressed with it when I first sampled it, but after wearing it - WHOA! It's got sillage and longevity like few others do, and I find it to be perfectly blended. It's like Old Spice times 100, with a lot more spice. A superpowerful powerhouse for sure.

And yes, I do remember smelling this in the air a lot back in the late 70s/early 80s. I specifically remember my doctor wearing this one, or something just like it.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't reach for PS very often, but I really enjoy it every time I wear it. Maybe it appeals to me more now because I am in the over 50 crowd (since it does not seem youthful to me at all). I find it to be formal as opposed to casual, and the longevity and projection/sillage place it firmly in the powerhouse camp. I think it's a great fragrance which deserves more airtime.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree 100% with the Old Spice references. I like this alot yet can distinctly remember but last reaching for it in the fall of '08 for a suit & tie affair. Memorable obviously, but I don't reach for it. Must be the TMBS (too many bottles syndrome).

fountain

ps camp powderhouse, more like

you mean this one?

if so, thatīs a good and potent stuff - reminds me very much of Brut mixed with Lagerfeld Classic. I wouldnīt call it 80s as it seems a little older to me - Iīd guess early 70s if I didnīt know it was introduced in 1979

would like to try VSOP also...

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like

I find it too similar to Giorgio, which I prefer.

Love this scent it can be addictive during the fall. Very spicy floral like Opium just wish they would upgrade the bottle the cap pulls the sprayer off

fountain

ps i dislike to the point i would not give it to a worst enemy.

It directly improves on Old Spice IMO. It smells better and projects farther.

Post Thanks / Like

I really dig this one...I am going to get a bottle soon. The trick with this one is to mist lightly and walk through. To me it smells like a subdued aramis, more sweet, less bite. It's def what some would call an old man frag(in fact my best friends dad who is also my dentist lays this on thick).

It smells classic and classy if applied correctly. I agree that it's in vain of old spice, brut, tabac and aramis.
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron