Code of Conduct

Default Terre DíHermes, Pure Malt, 1 Mill- Safe blind buys?

I honestly hate venturing into department stores- SIMPLY LOATH THEM, but I know it's usually the best place to try out the latest and greatest fragrances. I've lucked up with sampling some scents at Ulta (really like going there; they leave you alone to sample!) But Ulta is so limited sometimes with the selections they have. So basenoters, would you say the three listed above are safe blind buys or could you suggest something else? I'm a fan of A*Man and love scents that are warm like that if that helps.

Default Re: Terre DíHermes, Pure Malt, 1 Mill- Safe blind buys?

Buy 1 Million blind? Hell no! It's so super strong and projects so massively that you've GOT to know that you like the stuff. Seriously, more than a couple of sprays and you could clear a room.

I'd advice that you order samples/decants at theperfumedcourt instead of blind buying the fragrances you mentioned.

To answer your question -- All three are not safe blind buys. Terre D'Hermes could end up smelling like an orange dish washing liquid to you; 1 Million is one of the cloyingly sweetest fragrances out there; on the other hand, since you like A*Men, most likely you'll like Pure Malt.

No way on Terra D'Hermes

Thank God for basenotes! Lol Didn't know 1 Million was so strong. Will seek out samples!

No way on 1 Million. It's truly horrible, IMHO. TDH is one of my all-time faves. I have never tried Pure Malt, but I would like to.

If you like the A Men then you will most definitely like the Pure Malt. 1 Million, I'm sorry, it's just tacky I think. Terre D'Hermes can do no wrong if you ask me.

IMO - all three are fine. Pure Malt and Terre D'Hermes are my preferred.

There is no such thing as a safe blind buy!

Is there a Sephora near you? Usually a good place to sample. I wouldn't recommend blind buying 1 Million. I thought I would like it from all my research but ended up not liking it. Pure Malt would be safe if you like boozy notes. Has similar dry down to A*Men but not as strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
    There is no such thing as a safe blind buy!
    Not safe, but inoffensive scents are hard to hate, I mean they're not really great, but get the job done.

Nothing is 100% safe for blind buy. But from the three, I'd choose anytime Terre d'Hermes.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

You can't go wrong with Terre d'Hermes and Pure Malt but try One Million before buying.

Sur la Plage

No, No and No.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

TdH is the safest, but still is loathed by many. PM is a rather ugly scent IMO ; more whiskey barrel dregs than it is A-men. 1 Million is just too strong. Sample first.

In my opinion TDH is pretty safe if you lake fresh scents. But...if you live in Chicago area I suggest to try it first, because is not cheap.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentrť d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only Pure Malt is a little bit safe.

Pure malt: maybe
    One million: No
    Terre d Hermes: hell no!

Terre D'Hermes isn't that safe. Some people get a rotten orange note, some find it a bit 'old man' in style. The safest blind buys are sadly the really mainstream stuff or fresh/citrusy/summer scents-- those can unfortunately be the most boring types of scents too!

I was in the same position as you and absolutey hate going in to department stores and testing. They actually don't have many samples to take home either and I can't see myself buying anything based purely on the top notes. +1 to above comment, visit The Perfumed Court!

(having said that I have blindly purchased Burberry London, La Nuit de L'Homme and Millesime Imperial all in the last month lol)

Always sample before buying when possible.....This has saved me a bunch of money and time that's for sure!!!
    Gary

I'd sample all three......... I've made mistakes of blind buying and don't recommend it. You don't need an entire collection, it's best to spend money on fragrances you absolutely love (there are plenty of selection.) Good luck!

Our of those three, I own 1 million and Pure Malt. I'm assuming you are 18-25. Out of those, 1 million sometimes smells like bubble gum, very very sweet. 1 spray is enough for me, 2 if I am going out. Pure Malt is a bit love and hate, hard to get the juice out of it (squirter is garbage.)

Best blind buy = YSL La Nuit De L'Homme... I can't see anybody regretting to buy this fragrance. Some may prefer others, but nobody will hate it.

Blog Entries

Own Pure Malt and 1 Million, really like Terre...honestly I'd say go for it. The Hermes one may grow on you if you don't like it at first. It's a nice contrast to the other two

I bought Pure Malt blind recently.I have never smelled ANY Theirry Mugler frag and bought because of all of the high praise here.I bought a slightly used 3.4 oz bottle on ebay for $11.34 so at least i wouldnt be out anything if i hated it
    BTW,i really like it!!.

Quote Originally Posted by 350TPI View Post
    I bought Pure Malt blind recently.I have never smelled ANY Theirry Mugler frag and bought because of all of the high praise here.I bought a slightly used 3.4 oz bottle on ebay for $11.34 so at least i wouldnt be out anything if i hated it
    BTW,i really like it!!.
    11 dollars? That's one hell of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert View Post
    11 dollars? That's one hell of a deal.
    yeah,the lady selling didnt think anyone would want it since it wasnt brand new.I couldnt believe my luck!!