Code of Conduct

Default Where does YSL rank among designer fragrance houses?

It has so many fragrances that are loved by Basenoters : King Kouros, Body Kouros, M7, Rive Gauche pour Homme, Opium Pour Homme. And also has two of the most popular fragrances in the designer market right now in L'homme and La Nuit de L'homme.

From this line, I own L'Homme, La Nuit de L'homme, Opium Pour Homme, and just bought Body Kouros blind(waiting for it to come in the mail)

At the moment, my favorite from this line is La Nuit de L'homme, but I have a feeling from what Ive heard that that spot could be taken over by Body Kouros.

Anyways, my question is, where does this rank amongst the best designer houses, and also while were at it just for fun, what is your favorite Yves Saint Laurent fragrance?

Default Re: Where does YSL rank among designer fragrance houses?

wow...to add to this, im revisiting opium pour homme on my arm right now. its the first time im wearing it in cold weather, and wow its amazing. I really do not find it to "old" at all. Perfect and delicious for winter. I might just have to add this to my winter rotation

YSL is far superior from the others designers.
    Same level as Chanel and Guerlain, IMO.

In my world it is Number 1 as you can see from my wardrobe , followed closely by Dior and Mugler.

It's difficult to decide on a favourite, but if I had to, it will be Opium Pour Homme (EDP first and then the EDT); also M7, Opium EDT and Nu EDP. I'm still undecided about Kouros...but I think it's going to grow on me.

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    YSL is far superior from the others designers.
    Same level as Chanel and Guerlain, IMO.
    +1 /\ Exactly. YSL's old skool stuff is so great and so reasonably priced. For anyone starting out a frag hobby, this is a great place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean1973 View Post
    In my world it is Number 1 as you can see from my wardrobe , followed closely by Dior and Mugler.

It's difficult to decide on a favourite, but if I had to, it will be Opium Pour Homme (EDP first and then the EDT); also M7, Opium EDT and Nu EDP. I'm still undecided about Kouros...but I think it's going to grow on me.
    Opium is officially growing on me as we speak. I cannot stop smelling my arm. Its just an absolutely divine smell. the vanillla, the spicess. this is going to be my scent of the day tomorrow. Im pretty excited to receive Body Kouros and smell it. If i really really like it, then i guys i can say YSL is my favorite house because i love La Nuit, love L'homme, starting to love Opium.

Sur la Plage

I used to rank them quite high. But with the release of L'Homme and La Nuit de l'Homme, they have plummeted quite far - and I fear their future releases will be even more abysmal.

My favorite is Kouros.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 11th January 2011 at 10:06 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

In the past, YSL used to be a trend setter. Now, it`s just a trend follower...

Oh, i forgot to tell my favorite YSL fragrances.

I love M7, M7 Fresh, Opium Homme EDP, Nu edp, Body Kouros, Kouros Fraicheur, Cinema. Classy and quality designer fragrances. Nu edp is by far my favorite, a strong metallic incense that should be a must have for incense lovers. Only a spray or two will leave your perfumed all day, which is quite rare with the fragrances of today....

rick, nu edp is incense like obsession ph?

I like obsession (i own one bottle) but always i get a super headache with that incense!

rick, nu edp is incense like obsession ph?

I like obsession (i own one bottle) but always i get a super headache with that incense!
    If I may jump in - I own both Obsession for Men and Nu EDP. I don't get any incense from Obsession but lots of cinnamon and other stuff. If the incense in Obsession is too much for you then I suggest stay away from Nu as it's a much stronger fragrance (in all aspects) than Obsession, and I get lots of incense from Nu.

Wow, much stronger than Obsession!
    Im going to start search for this one.
    Getting discontinued, wich is a reasonable price for a 1.7oz or Nu EDP?

And the EDT, worth a try?

My opinion is the same of jellybean. Don`t get any incense from Obsession, what i get is dry woods, some spices and a fruity touch. And Nu Is really much stronger than obsession, but for me it`s not a problem. It`s just a question of controlling the sprays and wearing on colder weathers. I also had a time ago nu soap, one of the best soaps that i ever wore. It created a peppery, incensed aroma on the bath, with just a pinch of violets.
    I already owned the EDT version, and i prefer the edp. The EDT is less incensed and spicy, and more floral. I get as a dominant note orchids, and then the incense and spices. Still has a great longevity and sillage on skin.

I also rank YSL very high among the designers, right up there alongside Givenchy for me. I agree that their recent releases have been less interesting than their earlier ones, but the same can be said of Givenchy, Chanel, and everybody else.

Maybe the problem isnt the new releases, maybe the problem is the old users!

My fav is Opium EDP. The rest has already been said.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

M7 & Opium pour Homme are my favourites

Blog Entries

I think that YSL is an innovate designer house that broke a lot of ground, but Yves Saint Laurent himself is dead, and the glory days of the house are long gone IMO.

Enjoy Opium Pour Homme as much as you can, because every time I try it it gives me a godawful headache.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

My fav isn't in the YSL list, but except Dior there isn't another scent house with so many great fragrances: M7, Body Kouros, RGPH, Opium, etc..
    The Chanel male list is great but short.

Gauging on your other favorite fragrances which are about the same as mine - I think you will really love Body Kouros.

I would rank them equal to the ranks of Dior.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    In the past, YSL used to be a trend setter. Now, it`s just a trend follower...
    Exactly!

My favorite?- Kouros!

I have Opium and I really like it. However, there are alot of really good Designer's out there and picking a best would be hard. Gucci has some really good stuff.

+1...
    I loved La Nuit De L'Homme... (new user, 19 yrs old.)

I Rank them highly.
    They released some of my favourite fragrances.
    If possible I will never be without a bottle of Kouros, Kouros Fraicheur, Opium edt and edp or Body Kouros.

It seems like there must be a more civil and respectful way to make this point. Just my 2 cents.

I think that the new releases shouldnt be a knock on YSL. Its simply a new era, wear fragrances are "safer" and more "boring" then past fragrances. IMO YSL has released the best "boring" releases of recent times, as La Nuit de L'homme, in my opinion, is the nicest fragrance released in the last few years. I dont think its thats boring either.

I would put them pretty high. Probably the only designers I like better would be Chanel and Cartier. The only thing about YSL is they have a lot that I like (Rive Gauche, M7, Body Kouros - to a lesser extent La Nuit, l'homme, Live Jazz) , but none I truly loved.

My favorite is Rive Gauche. And FWIW, I'm willing to bet you will really like Body Kouros.

Yeah, im really predicting like i will love Body Kouros from all the descriptions i here. Even the negatives I hear, are not negatives to me.

But i'm relalllly loving my newly revisited Opium ph EDT. It smells like a spiced Vanilla cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Force of One View Post
    And FWIW, I'm willing to bet you will really like Body Kouros.
    Its inevitable, since Le Mallay is currently placed at #2 on Jonny's list, Body Kouros will surely win him over since the two are so similar. The only difference between the two I find is BK is blended so beautiful with quality ingredients. Excellent juice

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Its inevitable, since Le Mallay is currently placed at #2 on Jonny's list, Body Kouros will surely win him over since the two are so similar. The only difference between the two I find is BK is blended so beautiful with quality ingredients. Excellent juice
    This is going to be the longest 2-3 days of my life waiting for this to get shipped

Nu is fantastic stuff, and a perfect example of the kind of fragrances YSL used to make: intelligent, creative, unusual, and trend-setting (Nu predated the mid-2000s incense craze by a few years). Right around the time of L'Homme and Elle (2003-2004?), YSL started to slide, and now with the death of St. Laurent himself and the YSL fragrance license owned by L'Oreal...things don't look good for the future. They're now Just Another Design House in the fragrance world, but back in the day they ranked with the greats.

interesting. ive been on basenotes for quite a while, but this is the first i here about "Nu"

as i research it, it says its made for women, but as ive learned, fragrances doesnt have private parts?

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    interesting. ive been on basenotes for quite a while, but this is the first i here about "Nu"
    It is classified as a "woman's fragrance". So immediately I know some people will not even try it. But that is their loss.

BTW - It comes in EDT and EDP - I much prefer the EDP. It also has been discontinued, so becoming harder to find - especially at reasonable prices.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    It is classified as a "woman's fragrance". So immediately I know some people will not even try it. But that is their loss.

BTW - It comes in EDT and EDP - I much prefer the EDP. It also has been discontinued, so becoming harder to find - especially at reasonable prices.
    This is off topic, but since I am too dumb to figure out how to post a visitor message on your page, I want to say : Wow, 10 Thousand Posts !
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Also, Kouros is by far the biggest love or hate fragrance on basenotes IMO. Even more then A*Men. Because Kouros lovers are really strong in there love for Kouros, and same goes for the haters. I hope to one day try this.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    This is off topic, but since I am too dumb to figure out how to post a visitor message on your page, I want to say : Wow, 10 Thousand Posts !
    congrats petruccijc! one of the best posters on basenotes. I know that when YOU like a fragrance, it is at the very least extremely well made and interesting

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc
    Indeed, it's about as unisex as feminine fragrances get. Incense is one of the staple genderless fragrance notes, and Nu is one whopper of an incense.

My favorite is YSL pour Homme, launched in 1971.

Top Note: Lemon
    Middle Note: Thyme
    Base Note: Vetiver

This is still one of the best citrus fragrances ever made. Overall, YSL should be ranked highly.

by the end of the week, YSL could have three spots in my top ten, as La Nuit is in there for sure, Opium Pour Homme is making an amazing winter impression on me, and im having extremely high hopes for Body Kouros

YSL is number one. I'd put Guerlain and Hermes at 2, and Chanel at 3, Cartier at 4.

DeepSilence

Opium Pour Homme is my favourite

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSilence View Post
    Opium Pour Homme is my favourite
    Its absolutely delicious. In the begining of my obsession with fragrance, if i would have tried this, i would have quickly washed it away because the intial blast is kinda overwhelming. and by intial i mean the first 5 seconds. Let it sit for a half a minute, beautiful.

I guess I'm the odd one out here, but I don't think YSL fragrances appeal to me. I have Kouros, M7, and Rive Gauche pour Homme, and they are OK, but I rarely wear any of them. I can say they are different, but there is something about them that I don't really like that much. I don't know if gaudy would be the correct word, but that's what comes to mind when I think of them. They certainly are potent, which is good, but I also find them to have notes that are somewhat off-putting to me and a bit difficult to like. This is just my opinion, and I wouldn't want to characterize the entire line on what I have used, but I have used three of the most well-liked classic men's fragrances of the brand, and they just seem to leave me cold.

loving all these YSL offerings make me interesting to try the others, such as M7, Rive Gauche, Jazz, and the everyso infamous Kouros. It honestly seems to me that from a lineup standpoint, YSL is king. I dont know how much of you follow basketball, but i feel like YSL is the Miami Heat of fragrance. They have many big names, to the old crowd, the "basenoter's", and the modern generation.

one of my favorite designer houses for sure, i own most of their stuff :]

Blog Entries

If they brought back Kouros Fraicheur and M7 Fresh, I'd hold the YSL house in higher regard. I've been meaning to try Nu EdP.

My grandmother has been wearingParis exclusively since it was released, and she's 81, so that certainly says something....
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    congrats petruccijc! one of the best posters on basenotes. I know that when YOU like a fragrance, it is at the very least extremely well made and interesting

Thanks guys. I guess I talk a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I used to rank them quite high. But with the release of L'Homme and La Nuit de l'Homme, they have plummeted quite far - and I fear their future releases will be even more abysmal.

My favorite is Kouros.
    This...

Though my favorite is Rive Gauche PH or M7

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    This...

Though my favorite is Rive Gauche PH or M7
    From what i hear, i think i would find Rive Gauche to be a very pleasant smell.

Rive Gauche and Jazz are more mature scents. Shares the Azzaro's vibe. Not my cup of tea.
    Kuorus is by far away the more interesting.

Indeed, frags like Opium and Opium PH (including most of the flankers), M7, Rive Gauche PH seem to originate- in my humble opinion- from a niche perfumer's utmost creative and innovative dreams

Opium PH is fantastic and I like it very much also M7,which I own. La Nuit .. smells strange to me (I kinda like it),L'Homme and Kouros are nice but I probably won't buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzley View Post
    I guess I'm the odd one out here, but I don't think YSL fragrances appeal to me. I have Kouros, M7, and Rive Gauche pour Homme, and they are OK, but I rarely wear any of them. I can say they are different, but there is something about them that I don't really like that much. I don't know if gaudy would be the correct word.
    If I am not mistaken all 3 were made while Tom Ford was is charge of YSL. Maybe you're not a fan of how Mr Ford mixes the juice?

No love for Yvresse, the Champagne fragrance? I think it's one of the best and most interesting they've made. The debut fragrance Y from 1964 is definitely worth trying for anyone seriously interested in chypres. (or chypri? what's the plural form of chypre?)