Code of Conduct

Default Are ALL fragrances always best kept in the fridge?

Just wondering really as my collection is starting to grow a little and i'm starting to get to the point where i'm thinking.. "But what if this bottle or that bottle isn't finished in 2-3 years?" (as I believe is around what a frag in normal conditions is ment to last). I actually at the moment keep mine on a shelf in the bathroom which I believe is particularly bad for them due to the fluctuating temps when you have a hot shower ect. Are these rules really just for your expensive niche frags or are they applicable for designer frags too? If so, is any normal fridge with every day food in suitable?.. I have plenty of room in my salad drawer!

I'm really starting to get into the frag game now and I can see my collection growing by quite a bit over the coming months and years, but I don't want to have to worry about my frags going off because I have too many to use up in the span of a couple of years!

Or can you have the same desired effect of longevity by keeping them in a cool dark cupboard? I have a virtually empty cupboard in my kitchen where I could potentially store tonnes and tonnes of them. Certainly more than in my fridge. Either way, i'm guessing that most of you would advocate me moving them from my bathroom?
    Last edited by QWERTYOP; 14th January 2011 at 02:24 PM.

Default Re: Are ALL fragrances always best kept in the fridge?

in fridge could be an obsession , IMHO only keep in wardrove in a fresh and dark place
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garšons man 2

I would be kinda worried about what people might think when they went to grab a beer and picked up Le Male! lol

I've moved them all to a cupboard now. How long should they last now? And how do I tell if and when they start to go off?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Do take them out of the bathroom; the dark kitchen cupboard is better. (Unless, of course, you cook a lot and heat up the kitchen as much as I do! In which case a spot in your bedroom closet or dresser drawer is preferable.)

If you really want to keep some on hand in the bathroom, you could buy some 10 ml atomizers to decant into, and keep those in the bathroom where they are at your fingertips. Then just refill them as needed.

As far as the fridge goes, I do use a fridge because my fragrances were going off. History, not obsession, for me. But that may be because of the specific fragrances I wear. Yours may very well last longer. In fact those of us who refrigerate are in the minority. Do what works for you. Citrus based fragrances are more sensitive to heat, so you may want to keep those cooler.

EDIT:
    Good that you moved them.

For me, the top notes went first. If the top notes start to smell weak (or just not right) when you spray it on, that will be your first clue, unfortunately.

Ok fair enough. So roughly how long should I get out of them now? They're all designer.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I don't think there is any way to know in advance; I would think it depends on the specific ingredients in your fragrances, not whether they are designer or niche.

Mine started to go after 2-3 years; they were on my dresser top, though. From there they went to drawer and quickly afterward to fridge, as there was more room there than in the drawer. None have gone bad since I moved them to the fridge about 6 years ago.

Fair enough. But I'll get longer out of them now they're in a cool dark cupboard as apposed to the bathroom shelf? Shame really, some of the bottles are really nice and it seems a shame to shut them away in the dark!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Here's the thing: this hobby is all about enjoyment; if viewing your bottles is an essential part of your enjoyment, then maybe that takes precedence over longevity.

You could also rotate one or two bottles each month to be on display while the others are in the dark. At least that way it wouldn't be the same bottles being exposed to light all the time, and you'd get the pleasure of seeing them.

I thought I might add a note on an alternative to refrigeration.

I saw the movie 'Brazil' recently, and subsequently acquired a longing for austere filing cabinets, not having realised what an Art Deco apparatus they are. Having acquired one, I discovered that, when constructed of thick metal, their interior tends to be remarkably cold, irrespective of the room's heat.

It is a simple matter to add a partition at the back of the lower drawer, and keep some bottles therein. An unconventional place to keep them, and less cold than a refrigerator - but I conjecture that no fragrance thus kept shall spoil. You can also adopt an air of precision, as though searching for a particular file, in selecting which one to retrieve.

Sur la Plage

No need for refrigeration. Just keep them in a closet/drawer.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    No need for refrigeration. Just keep them in a closet/drawer.
    Just what I wanted to hear - I reckon i've got room for about 70 or so in there. Boy oh boy is my wallet gonna hate me over the coming months and years!

I've never kept anything in the fridge. Nothing has spoiled, and I have some old scents.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

if I see condensation in my atomizers and maybe bottles... what does that mean? should I be worried? i keep my bottles on an open shelf in a walk in wardrobe.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Just wondering really as my collection is starting to grow a little and i'm starting to get to the point where i'm thinking.. "But what if this bottle or that bottle isn't finished in 2-3 years?" (as I believe is around what a frag in normal conditions is ment to last). I actually at the moment keep mine on a shelf in the bathroom which I believe is particularly bad for them due to the fluctuating temps when you have a hot shower ect. Are these rules really just for your expensive niche frags or are they applicable for designer frags too? If so, is any normal fridge with every day food in suitable?.. I have plenty of room in my salad drawer!

I'm really starting to get into the frag game now and I can see my collection growing by quite a bit over the coming months and years, but I don't want to have to worry about my frags going off because I have too many to use up in the span of a couple of years!

Or can you have the same desired effect of longevity by keeping them in a cool dark cupboard? I have a virtually empty cupboard in my kitchen where I could potentially store tonnes and tonnes of them. Certainly more than in my fridge. Either way, i'm guessing that most of you would advocate me moving them from my bathroom?

Keep it in a safe place. That might accidentally drink by others or even you.
    Viridian Energy

Just keep them in any cool, dark place.

Blog Entries

+23 to "keep in a dry cool place".

I have 'fumes that are over 15 years old that I have given no particular care to in that time other than keeping them out of direct sunlight. I have also bought parfum that seems perfect at around 30 years old and it was not kept in a fridge before being sold to me. I keep all my frags in a black shelf unit and close the wardrobe door on it. It's good to have the bottles on display, even if you have to open a door to see it. Apart from one, I have never kept any 'fumes in the bathroom.

I do have a bottle of Spellbound that was given to me when it was relased (1991 iirc) that's lost it's top notes but apart from that the juice is fine. I abused that bottle though - I left it out and about , left it lying down, tossed it around, left it in the bathroom AND sunlight - etc etc.

Different fragrances age in different ways. The thing that would worry me about keeping frags in the fridge is that they would not age as normal. Some perfumes, most notably Guerlain's, age like wine - or cheese. They just get better over time. I would be afraid that keeping them in the fridge might halt this aging process. I certainly wouldn't cellar red wine in the fridge ...

Your kitchen cupboard sounds great unless, like 30roses said, the heat fluctuates dramatically in there. Being an Aussie I can attest that heat due to the weather is not a problem with fragrances but I hear sudden and repeated changes in temp. is the killer. Best to play safe - if it's not likely to heat up in that cupboard then it sounds perfect. Choose somewhere else if it will.

Good Luck!
    He isn't poor because he lacks money but because everything he wants is unobtainable ...

My name is KaL - EL - EL - L - L - L ! D: