Code of Conduct

Default When/how do YOU wear Rive Gauche?

What is your attire, and what is your application method? I have and like RG, but never really reach for it. To me, it's a fragrance that seems well suited to wear with my darker colors. In my mind, it is perfectly suited for dark sweaters. lol That's what I get from the smell.

I would like to wear it more, but it seems too dry and "mature" for my clean and bright days (white shirt and khakis), and I sometimes fear I won't smell "fresh" but just spicey and masculine in it. I guess sometimes, spicey and masculine is nice to go for, but I would rather smell fresh (think citruces) or just oriental/gourmand nice.

Also, do you get compliments in this one? I would also be interested to know if/how my sub 30 year old pull this off...

Default Re: When/how do YOU wear Rive Gauche?

I see it as more of a suit, shirt and tie fragrance. However, today I am wearing it to work (personal trainer) in a track suit...2 sprays to the chest only. To be honest, it smells great either way. I have been on the fence with RG for a while, but the temps are cool enough here that it is working real well for me right now. I am 34 years old and can pull it off with confidence.

I wear a lot of dark blue jeans and black sweaters/shirts/pullovers. RV works great. Just follow the suggestions in the other thread and you're good to go.

I wear one spray of RG and wear it for any time or situation. It always works for me.

I wear a suit everyday and feel comfortable wearing Rive Gauche anytime. I do advise the chest spray and not on the neck. I just bought it 3 days ago and its one of those where have you been all my life fragrances. Rive Gauche is really nothing special and very inexpensive. However I will always wear this one.

Sur la Plage

I wear it anytime (work, weekends) - no particular dress code required. A lot of women I work with love it, and compliment me on it. I apply it like I do with any other fragrance - no "special" application required.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 12th January 2011 at 02:50 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I bought RG for my Dad recently because his Father owned a barbershop and I thought that "barbershop" note might appeal to him.

Having smelt it myself, I concluded that as a 23 year old, I could not pull this fragrance off personally.

I do believe it works well for the older gentleman though, it would go well with a suit and tie in my opinion.

Anytime and like all other fragrances - neck and chest

Do younger women (under 30) appreciate the smell as well? Thinkin about wearing this to church this weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Do younger women (under 30) appreciate the smell as well? Thinkin about wearing this to church this weekend...
    YES!!! I"ve received compliments on RGPH from women of all ages. I've had several 21-22 year old girls who went gaga over it. I once dated a 24 year old girl who accidentally got some of my RGPH on her scarf and confessed taking the scarf to bed with her for a week, confessing to me how "horny" it made her. And I do believe the girl who bit me was probably 23 years old.

And on the other hand, RGPH has netted me a lot of compliments from older women too.

Guys should not look at this scent as "too old/etc". A teenager could pull this off if he wore it right. True, each year I get older I have no fear of ever outgrowing RGPH-- It's just a man's scent and it works for a man of any age.

Sur la Plage

Do younger women (under 30) appreciate the smell as well?
    In my experiences, yes.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I wear this one on any occasion, during any season

god damn it. im wanting to get this one more and more everyday

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    god damn it. im wanting to get this one more and more everyday
    ay

Sell your Le Mallay and La Nuit de L'homeee and get 4 bottles of Rive Gauche. Its dirt cheap and smells terrific.

Do younger women (under 30) appreciate the smell as well?
    Oh yeah.

Daywear, especially summer daywear. RGPH is very refreshing and when it's hot you can't stop to smell yourself.
    I don't use it for evening and in winter. I prefer other.

I wear all my frags for any occasion. However, I do split them into cold/warm weather. I only wear RG in cooler weather.

I wear skin-tight jeans and t-shirts most of the time and a leather jacket or something militaristic looking when it's cold. If I feel like wearing Rive Gauche, I will wear it. Really, I don't see the connection between Rive Gauche = suit and tie at all.

Yeah, this is probably the 20th time I've posted this, but it's such an entertaining review.

Blog Entries

I used to wear Rive Gauche Pour Homme when I went out on weekend nights and got a lot of compliments, but then I rediscovered Azzaro Pour Homme and it's virtually the same thing (or rather Rive Gauche Pour Homme is the same thing to it), just stronger and I think Azzaro smells better and has more character.

Just my opinion!
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Thanx you guys! I'm gonna wear it atleast tommorow and/or Friday as sort of a test run to see if I feel confident enough in it to wear in this Saturday for church. I expect to see two young ladies that I kinda fancy, and expect hugs from both, so I want to make sure when they smell me, they will like what they smell. :-) One is 25, and the other is 27. The 27 year old already complimented me on Reflection, so I am tempted to wear that again, but I dunno. Y'all kinda have me convinced that this is a go!

Blog Entries

Rive Gauche is a real "meat n' potatoes man" fragrance - I would most certainly wear it to church, or meeting a girl's parents.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

I wore this to class the other day. It was the first day of this class and I found that we were squeezed into a small room in close quarters; every seat was taken. I did 2 sprays to my chest and 1 on my left wrist. That may have been too much, I got the impression it was emitting monster sillage and I was afraid I was overpowering everyone around me. I like this fragrance, but 1 or 2 sprays is enough for me, especially in crowded situations.

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin View Post
    I wore this to class the other day. It was the first day of this class and I found that we were squeezed into a small room in close quarters; every seat was taken. I did 2 sprays to my chest and 1 on my left wrist. That may have been too much, I got the impression it was emitting monster sillage and I was afraid I was overpowering everyone around me. I like this fragrance, but 1 or 2 sprays is enough for me, especially in crowded situations.
    Oh man, that must have been uncomfortable. At least you had on something good. Ballsy of you.

screw you guys for making me so interested in this looks like im going to be looking for a bottle now

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Never. There is something in RGpH that I'm particularly sensitive to. A raw-eggy vibe that gives me nausea & makes me retch. On that account alone I wouldn't call this a safe buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grottola View Post
    I used to wear Rive Gauche Pour Homme when I went out on weekend nights and got a lot of compliments, but then I rediscovered Azzaro Pour Homme and it's virtually the same thing (or rather Rive Gauche Pour Homme is the same thing to it), just stronger and I think Azzaro smells better and has more character.

Just my opinion!
    I agree these two are very similar, Azzaro might be a tad more dirty.

As for RG, I generally wear it in more casual situations, likely due to it being inexpenisve. Certainly more a cold-weather scent in my mind. I do one on my chest, one on my wrists, and one on my fingers which I dab behind each ear.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I wear it anytime (work, weekends) - no particular dress code required. A lot of women I work with love it, and compliment me on it. I apply it like I do with any other fragrance - no "special" application required.
    as always ..This one

Rive is very versatile , despite their formal appearance has a nice and very wearable character.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garšons man 2