Code of Conduct

Cool parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons --Are there cheaper alternatives?

I absolutely love the frankincense based scent but my decant is quickly running dry.
    Any ideas for alternatives fellas?
    John aka Easykiller

Default Re: parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons --Are there cheaper alternatives?

Heeley's Cardinal! Not that much cheaper though.

Blog Entries

Default Re: parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons --Are there cheaper alternatives?

If I "like" a fragrance, substitutes may do, but if I "absolutely love" it, no substitution works for me. Avignon is marvelous...I say bite the bullet.

Sur la Plage

Avignon - there is no substitute.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

There are no cheaper ones, but there are many more expensive ones (e.g. Heeley Cardinal, as mentioned above - and even that, to my nose, is a pale imitation of Avignon.)

I feel your pain re: a dwindling perfume budget! Maybe you can console yourself with the fact that CdG's Incense series isn't really *that* expensive? ($80/50ml @ Luckyscent; maybe cheaper if you shop around)? I mean, it could be a lot worse - you could be facing (as I am) the end of one of your Frederic Malle decants and the prospect of shelling out $200+ on a new bottle!

I was wondering after the title, what Avignon costs in the US, since at 50 € per 50 ml over here it's cheaper than many designers. Seeing that it's similarly priced over there and considering that it's probably as niche as it gets I say go for it.
    Nothing like it.
    If my memory doesnt fail me Attitude by Armani features some kind of pepper/incense mix but no competition for Avignon.
    Make sure you stay away from the rest of the line then, if you havent tried them already, since I find them as well more than FBW.
    Smellin good

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    [...] what Avignon costs in the US, since at 50euro per 50 ml over here it's cheaper than many designers.
    BTW, would you know any european-based website who carry some CdG fragrances ?
    The price on the US ones is decent, but the cost of shipping is discouraging (something like 30$).

Substitutes? Maybe the new Montale Incense Full or perhaps Ava Luxe Incense Noir (Avignon + wood smoke).

Quote Originally Posted by Scentational View Post
    The price on the US ones is decent, but the cost of shipping is discouraging (something like 30$).
    CDG's Dover Street market e-shop ship within the EU, but the shipping as about as much. First In Fragrance have much more reasonable rates and I think if it's going to Switzerland the German VAT is removed.
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentational View Post

PM sent
    Smellin good

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Ichor View Post
    CDG's Dover Street market e-shop ship within the EU, but the shipping as about as much. First In Fragrance have much more reasonable rates and I think if it's going to Switzerland the German VAT is removed.
    Thanks for help. Dover Street carry Avignon, but the shipping cost is indeed overpriced (~25-30$). "AusLiebeZumDuft", however, seems very reasonable and even have samples, good thing.

PS: sorry for thread-jacking

Blog Entries

To be blunt, Avignon IS the cheaper, better alternative to dozens of other frags. At $78, the whole CDG incense series is probably the best value in all of niche perfumery (with the possible exception of the Ava Luxe brand, but they don't have one like Avignon).

When you compare Avignon to similar scents like Jubilation XXV at $300 or Silver Factory for $240 or Cardinal for $150 or Armani's Bois d'Encens for $185, that $78 starts to look pretty great... Oh, and it's better than all of those, too.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I know this isn't much help, but I think M. Micallef's Shanaan is a much better frankincense than Avignon, although it's much more expensive and only seems to be available in a 100ml.