Code of Conduct

Default Changing my colonge, any recommendations?

Hey,

New do this site and just the whole fragrance world. I've used fragrances my whole life but never really took the time to delve deeper into things such as basenotes and such. It's very interesting and explained why a lot of colognes would work for some people and not for me.

During my highschool and college years. I had used your basic set, cool water, ck1, curve. In last days of college I discovered 212. I started getting compliments all the time, so I kept using it. Not many people I know used it at the time and now 10yrs later I'm tired of it. I'm 28yrs old.

I've tried different colognes but nothing really struck me as wow or impressed me. I've tried Giorgio Armani Acqua Di Gio, but It felt like I've smelled it everywhere before, didn't really stand out. Then I tried Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey and it would just fade off and again, just wasn't anything special. Tried 212 sexy and it was to sweet, got a little dizzy after a while.

As of today, my 212 bottle is empty. I want something new. The colognes I do own at the moment are Gucci Envy and Juicy Couture Dirty English. Envy is a bit strong, which seems to work ok for evenings, never got a compliment or a comment. Juicy Couture Dirty English seems it good, I get comments or questions what I'm wearing; personally I think its ok.

I went to Sephora and got samples of the John Varvatos vintage and 2 other John Varvatos options.

I also noticed some Hermès colognes they were showcasing, they were pricey.. are they really worth it?

Sorry for the novel, but what would be some options I should check out? something that's memorable, smells fresh and ambitious.

thanks for your help in advance!

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Changing my colonge, any recommendations?

Welcome to Basenotes.

I would recommend trying Hermes - Terre d'Hermes.

Also, check online for prices of fragrances you are interested in - they will most likely be cheaper than buying at a brick and mortar store.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Yeah, Terre d' Hermes is a pretty good one. If you wear it everyday, you will certainly get your money's worth. It is a bit of a mature scent, but you may just be at the age where this one will work for you. Not a safe blind buy, unless you know that you love vetiver notes.

Other ones worth checking out for year round use:

Chanel: Bleu de Chanel and Platinum Egoiste

Calvin Klein Man
    Cartier Roadster
    Dolce and Gabbana: The One, Pour Homme

So many choices. Keep sampling and good luck!

I recommend you Mugler Cologne.
    Fresh, Long-laster and well done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Terre d'Hermes, Bleu de Chanel, Platinum Egoiste, and Mugler Cologne are all good suggestions IMO.

I'll add Allure Homme Edition Blanche or Allure Homme Sport (try them both - I like EB better), Bvlgari Aqva, and if price isn't a factor some of the "fresher" Creeds (Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, Silver Mountain Water, Erolfa, Aventus).

Post Thanks / Like

Terre d'Hermes, this is a really nice scent. Get a sample from Sephora, Nordstrom, Ulta etc and try it a few times to see if it is something you will like before you buy a bottle.

Ah thanks for the quick reply's

Of the Thierry Mugler collections, is A*Men Pure Malt a good one to go for?

Terre d' Hermes seems nice too, but very transparent.

Allure seems to be mentioned a lot as well. I will check it out.

Thanks for the names.

keep the info coming. I'm going to grab something over the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jnkhan82 View Post
    Of the Thierry Mugler collections, is A*Men Pure Malt a good one to go for?
    Give it a smell first. I wouldn't blind buy it because people seem to either love it or hate it. There doesn't seem to be much in between with that one.

To throw in two more cents, Yves Saint Laurent's "Nuit De L'Homme" and "L'Homee" are worth a look if you find yourself in a Sephora.

Post Thanks / Like

Edition Blanche by Chanel maybe fits with you.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Post Thanks / Like

Beside 212 I find Boss Bottled to be a good one other than that you can try Allure Homme Series by Chanel like Allure Homme Edition Blanche, Allure Homme Sport etc., Kenzo Power and Dior Homme, L'EAU D'ISSEY POUR HOMME INTENSE and The One by D&G and just try all the other suggestions hope you find something you like!
    Currently listening to: Counting Crows - Mr. Jones, The Last Waltz - Old Boy, The Prodigy - Firestarter, Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood, R.E.M - Losing My Religion, "He's On the Beach" - Kirsty MacColl, In-Grid - Tu Es Foutu

Full Incense

I can say that a really good one, that fits a lot of skins is Chance by Chanel. When was brand new, it was one of my favourite!!!
    very charming!
    I can also say that you should also taste yourself, a lot of perfumes changes on skin, so you should always try it...i guess you know that already!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll jump on the bandwagon and recommend Terre d'Hermes for the sophisticated man smell.