Code of Conduct

Default If Amouage Reflection is too sweet and heavy for me - will I like the other Amouage scents?

Hello everybody,

I just registered but have been a reader in this forum for quite a while. Great source of knowledge here!!

In search of another fragrance, I recently discovered Amouage. I ordered a sample and tried it today... well, it surely does last a long time on the skin and all, but I just canīt stand that extremely sweet, heavy and prominent scent. Plus you could clearly smell it in every room I walked in, and I donīt like that.

So is there a chance I could dig the other Amouage scents? To my knowledge, Reflection is known to be a more... "mainstream" Amouage scent, so Iīm not sure ībout that. Iīd like to order a sample, but the other ones are so expensive that I donīt want to order them without knowing if I could like them or not.

Thanks for your input!

Default Re: If Amouage Reflection is too sweet and heavy for me - will I like the other Amouage scents?

I love many of the Amouage scents but can't stand Reflection which smells of mothballs to me.

Default Re: If Amouage Reflection is too sweet and heavy for me - will I like the other Amouage scents?

First of all - Welcome to Basenotes Scent7.

How are we supposed to give you recommendations without any further specification from you what your preferences are.
    The amouage scents are mostly somewhat distinctive but a safer start than especially Reflection might be Ciel or Silver. Less pungent and easier to the nose.

Ciel is fresh, sporty yet quite sensible
    Smellin good

Mine favourites are Dia and Silver, wich are very different from Reflection. They are classy, luxurious, refined fragrances for fussy gentlemen. If you like those types of fragrances, I will absolutely recommend you to try them. I think none of the Amouage scents are "mainstream". On my skin, Reflection gives a almost nuclear power sillage and stayingpower. The trick is to go light on the trigger.
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 31st October 2011 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fumes4ever View Post
    I love many of the Amouage scents but can't stand Reflection which smells of mothballs to me.
    Now that you mention it... I think I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    First of all - Welcome to Basenotes Scent7.

How are we supposed to give you recommendations without any further specification from you what your preferences are.
    The amouage scents are mostly somewhat distinctive but a safer start than especially Reflection might be Ciel or Silver. Less pungent and easier to the nose.

Ciel is fresh, sporty yet quite sensible
    I like fragrances that are slightly spicy and woody. Not too much, just a bit. For example, I like Creeds Tabarome or Guerlains Homme. But for example, Diors Homme is already too sweet / too much vanilla for me. I know that Amouage is more arabian and exotic, I was just wondering if there might be a scent that is more compatible to my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Obvious! Reflection is the only Amouage fragrance that I realy, realy, dislike. It almost make me sick! IMO all of the others are bether than this one. I will not say that I love all of the others, but I do have some great respect for them. Mine favourites are Dia and Silver, wich are very different from Reflection. They are classy, luxurious, refined fragrances for fussy gentlemen. If you like those types of fragrances, I will absolutely recommend you to try them.
    Thatīs what I want to find out basically. I mean, I can smell that Reflection is very well made, itīs just not my cup of tea... How exactly would you compare Reflection to Dia and Silver?

Of the Amouage scents I know, I find the safest bet to be Silver. Quite a different world from Reflection, which I can't stand.

Stick with me kid, fastest nose in the west!

They are all on the sweet side. You'd hate gold for sure. Dia... you might like, but again it's rather sweet, not as much as Dior and yet it's really so special that you might be won over anyhow, especially with the most recent version of it which has a other elements that nicely counterbalance the sweetness. Epic would work for you but I don't feel it's really worth the price, at all. Silver maybe, maybe not. I love it, but it's sweet/sour eventually sweet. As for Ciel and Cirrus and Arcus they are too ordinary - you might as well something much cheaper that's just as good. Lyric...being heavy rose incense... well I'm thinking not for you.

If you haven't already I would suggest you search out some of the threads here discussiing Epic Man, Dia Man, Tribute Attar and Memoir Man to see if they are helpful in giving you more indepth opinions but of course there is no substitute for trying these (or any other) scents. Amouage are quite 'opulent' as a rule, but even so, if you find one that clicks and get the application right then who knows?

Try Epic Man, Memoir Man, or Jubilation XXV. They're not sweet.

Epic Man turned me off immediately. Now it's one of my favorites. Occasionally, it has a strong engine oil component to me.
    Jubilation XXV alarmed me. Now it's another one of my favorites.
    Memoir Man was awesome from the get go. It's one of my favorites notching in just underneath Epic.
    Silver was too sweet and strong for me at first. Now it's one of my favorite daytime scents.
    Reflection reminded me of diaper ointment and mothballs at first. Now it's easily my favorite end of the day scent and one of my favorites of all time.
    Opus II didn't seem like anything special to me at first. Now it occupies a very special, reserved area of our life and compliments it highly.
    Opus IV charmed right out the the box. It's very good, but slides in lower than some of the other Amouage we enjoy. However, ''lower'' with Amouage is still way up there on the list of pleasantries.
    Gold? I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
    Lyric Man? It's OK-ish and fantastic. I bought it for Mrs. J. and it smells significantly different on her than me; in fact it's awesome on her. It gives me a headache when I use it.
    Dia. I hate the first 3 hours. I love the remainder.
    Ceil. Headache land for Daryl.

So what's the point? Amouage fragrances are complex enough they take time to fully appreciate. Body chemistry seems to affect them quite a bit as well. Approaching them with patience is wise as is forming your own opinion. If I'd have listened to much of the discussion here, we'd have missed out on a significant amount of fragrance delight.

May I suggest you search out the Amouage sample set of six, try them out and then decide for your self. Online companies like Lucky Scent & Raffy stock Amouage.

Dependent

Reflection is possibly the sweetest Male Scent from Amouage. It isn't for everyone. Try Gold Man (a little dry, but you must love animalics to enjoy it), Dia Man, Lyric Man, even the new Memoir Man is a good start to something not overtly niche smelling. The thing I love about Amouage is that many of them are definitively wearable. Many of them seem like a "better quality" version of mainstreamers.

Reflection instant headache for me. My favourite Amouages are Cirrus and Arcus which are both discontinued and Jubilation XXV which is not sweet, certainly worth a sample.

Thank you very much for all your responses. Helped me a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Of the Amouage scents I know, I find the safest bet to be Silver. Quite a different world from Reflection, which I can't stand.
    Could you elaborate on the exact differences?

Quote Originally Posted by fumes4ever View Post
    Stick with me kid, fastest nose in the west!

They are all on the sweet side. You'd hate gold for sure. Dia... you might like, but again it's rather sweet, not as much as Dior and yet it's really so special that you might be won over anyhow, especially with the most recent version of it which has a other elements that nicely counterbalance the sweetness. Epic would work for you but I don't feel it's really worth the price, at all. Silver maybe, maybe not. I love it, but it's sweet/sour eventually sweet. As for Ciel and Cirrus and Arcus they are too ordinary - you might as well something much cheaper that's just as good. Lyric...being heavy rose incense... well I'm thinking not for you.
    Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
    Try Epic Man, Memoir Man, or Jubilation XXV. They're not sweet.

So what's the point? Amouage fragrances are complex enough they take time to fully appreciate. Body chemistry seems to affect them quite a bit as well. Approaching them with patience is wise as is forming your own opinion. If I'd have listened to much of the discussion here, we'd have missed out on a significant amount of fragrance delight.
    Yes, even Reflection is a complex fragrance, but I needed a starting point for the rest of them...

Quote Originally Posted by MFJ View Post
    Reflection is possibly the sweetest Male Scent from Amouage. It isn't for everyone. Try Gold Man (a little dry, but you must love animalics to enjoy it), Dia Man, Lyric Man, even the new Memoir Man is a good start to something not overtly niche smelling. The thing I love about Amouage is that many of them are definitively wearable. Many of them seem like a "better quality" version of mainstreamers.
    Thanks a lot for describing Reflections sweetness within the Amouage line! Thatīs basically what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Reflection instant headache for me. My favourite Amouages are Cirrus and Arcus which are both discontinued and Jubilation XXV which is not sweet, certainly worth a sample.
    OK, Iīll give it a try.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
    Definitely. This is actually good advice for almost any house, but especially ones with significantly differentiated styles like Amouage, Creed, Guerlain, CdG, etc. The difference of the house as a whole from prior experience is as likely to generate a WTF as art from another culture on first exposure. Appreciation takes time, even for the world fragrance traveler.

Memoir Man is my Holy Grail (one of them)
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Oops how could I have forgotten the ineffable Jubliation (men)? Top of its class and not sweet.

My suggestion from what I've tried;
    Jubilation XXV
    Epic
    Memoir
    In that order to my taste. I love Jubilation. It's one of my favorite scents.
    I'm still to try Silver, Gold, Arcus, and Ciel and of course I have not tried the attars, but hope to soon.
    Love someone today and it will come back to you ten folds