Code of Conduct

Question Millesime Imperial / Unforgivable Question

Hi fellow Basenoters, I have a question that I imagine will be a fairly easy answer. I have no doubt that I will like Millesime Imperial and I'm very much interested in buying a bottle but I see Unforgivable is often compared as a ripoff of MI. I own a bottle of Unforgivable which I enjoy (don't shoot me down, I hadn't even heard of MI when I bought the stuff) and I was wondering just "how close" these two are.

Are they different enough to enjoy under their own merits or are they so close it wouldn't matter? I'm not exactly in a position to "sample" MI either. It's a buy it or don't situation for me. One thing I did notice people say is there's a melon note in MI which I smell no melon note in Unforgivable at all.

Interesting enough, I bought a bottle of Green Irish Tweed before I knew what Cool Water was. To this day I have never even seen a bottle of Cool Water with my own eyes let alone smelled it.

Thanks gang!
    .Dave J

Default Re: Millesime Imperial / Unforgivable Question

No point in having both.

Well, to me i think MI is different in a much better than than unforgivable. But i dont deny the similarities. I'm totally not a creed fan boy but i like MI much better than Unforgivable, and GIT much better than Cool Water. Yet i only own MI.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

The top notes of MI and Unforgivable are close. Sour, tangy, orange.
    The drydown is very different.
    MI is fresh and smooth, almost warm. Lasts many hours on me but is low in sillage.
    Unforgivable is bitter and sour.

As soon as I got MI, I gave Unforgivable to my nephew.

P.S. I got my MI from Fragrancenet. They are easy for us Canadians to deal with.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5 View Post
    No point in having both.
    Agreed. I own Unforgivable, and see no reason to buy MI. David Apel did a good job of copying MI for Sean John, Puff Daddy, P Diddy, CÓroc Cock ... or whatever His Royal Blowhardness calls himself these days.

Unforgiveable smells more like bond 9 wallstreet than it does MI. So i think you should get the MI,
    Last edited by Maz24; 20th September 2009 at 06:44 AM.

There's something in Unforgivable which made me throw out the bottle soon after I tried it. Not so with MI. They're somewhat close, but not that close. Wish I would have preferred the cheaper of the two, just wasn't meant to be.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Why don't you get a sample of MI and try and sniff the difference? Personally I wouldn't buy something close to what I already own. If it turns out better than the one I owned earlier, then it becomes a replacement and the earlier bottle is left unused, which is a waste imo. I've tried GIT and for the price I can't justify buying GIT as a better alternative to CW.

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    Well, to me i think MI is different in a much better than than unforgivable. But i dont deny the similarities ...
    I agree with above. Though they are similar, MI has a more substantive, punchy feel to it. Also, the opening in MI is stronger and more impressive than Unforgivable.

My advice: Treat yourself to the CREED scent ... you'll be glad you did!

I agree with Diamondflame. These are too similar to justify owning both. Purists will tell you that MI is "better" in some minute way, but this isn't eactly apples to oranges so much as a red delicious to another red delicious with a longer stem.

There's too much out there to explore. Unless this is your absolute favourite scent and want to explore every single facet of it, I suggest you move on.
    Last edited by lasta; 21st September 2009 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks for the replies gang, I appreciate the input, this is what I was looking for.
    .Dave J

MI much better quality

This fragrance smells like rotten oranges to me.. Very unnacceptable for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by 55karl View Post
    This fragrance smells like rotten oranges to me.. Very unnacceptable for the price.
    Karl, do you mean MI, Unforgivable or both?
    .Dave J

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Why don't you get a sample of MI and try and sniff the difference? Personally I wouldn't buy something close to what I already own. If it turns out better than the one I owned earlier, then it becomes a replacement and the earlier bottle is left unused, which is a waste imo. I've tried GIT and for the price I can't justify buying GIT as a better alternative to CW.
    Speaking of which, today was my first time sampling Cool Water ( i once owned GIT ) and anyone who say that they aint 98% copies ,must be Creed part owners.

Quote Originally Posted by xdsjx View Post
    Hi fellow Basenoters, I have a question that I imagine will be a fairly easy answer. I have no doubt that I will like Millesime Imperial and I'm very much interested in buying a bottle but I see Unforgivable is often compared as a ripoff of MI. I own a bottle of Unforgivable which I enjoy (don't shoot me down, I hadn't even heard of MI when I bought the stuff) and I was wondering just "how close" these two are.

Are they different enough to enjoy under their own merits or are they so close it wouldn't matter? I'm not exactly in a position to "sample" MI either. It's a buy it or don't situation for me. One thing I did notice people say is there's a melon note in MI which I smell no melon note in Unforgivable at all.

Interesting enough, I bought a bottle of Green Irish Tweed before I knew what Cool Water was. To this day I have never even seen a bottle of Cool Water with my own eyes let alone smelled it.

Thanks gang!
    Unforgiveable smells more like Bond 9 Wallstreet to me. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    Unforgiveable smells more like bond 9 wallstreet than it does MI. So i think you should get the MI,
    Exactly.
    The Sean John has little if any of the natural aura MI has, and certainly no woody palm sap or iris notes in it's base.
    Unforgivable Multi-Platinum (a premium concentrated version of the original Unforgivable) smells very strongly of Givaudan Orange and geraniol, as Wall St. does.

MI is far up into the stratosphere unaware of these two, as good of scents as they are.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 23rd September 2009 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    Speaking of which, today was my first time sampling Cool Water ( i once owned GIT ) and anyone who say that they aint 98% copies ,must be Creed part owners.
    Be patient and let the alcohol and top notes dry off

Forgive the delayed response, but I just came across this post and wanted to reply.
    Having just worn Creed MI today, I must say it is superior to Unforgivable in every way.
    MI is honestly one of the most amazing fresh scents I have ever smelled - it's pure magic.
    Unforgivable is a cheaper alternative, but doesn't even come close to Creed MI, it's just that simple.
    If you have a nephew or younger brother you can give him the Sean John and get Creed for yourself - you won't regret it!

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
    I agree with Diamondflame. These are too similar to justify owning both. Purists will tell you that MI is "better" in some minute way, but this isn't eactly apples to oranges so much as a red delicious to another red delicious with a longer stem.

There's too much out there to explore. Unless this is your absolute favourite scent and want to explore every single facet of it, I suggest you move on.
    I agree...personally I DO think MI is better, but not enough to spend the extra $ to have both

My father and brother both own/owned Unforgivable and I've used it numerous times and recently tried it again. I just received MI recently, and it is superior, IMO. To compare them as identical or even alike in drydown is laughable. No solid base to Unforgivable. Whereas I really enjoy the strong base of MI (I like the usual salty melon top notes, but my particular batch seemed to mute this out a bit.)

That being said, Unforgivable is fine for the casual wearer. No need for them to spend more on MI if they don't pay much attention to detail. I doubt my family would appreciate the differences in the base.

How long do you guys get with MI on the skin? I have a sample, and have a hard time smelling it say 3 hours down the road. It's nice, but I think I would have longevity problems with it. Besides, it's too pricey. At one point, it was on my ONE DAY purchase list, but after another sample recently, I'm kinda having my doubts.

Last edited by silverbullet; 14th January 2011 at 01:06 PM.

You also might try a sample of Montale's Fougeres Marine to compare the similarities as well.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...es_Marine.html

I actually wound up blind buying MI and I havent touched Unforgivable since. I totally understand what the folks mean when they're saying there's "similarities" but the two really are worlds apart.
    .Dave J

I owned MI first and bought Unforgivable to see what the similarities were (plus it was 10 bucks on ebay).
    I saw where people thought it was the same...but I eventually sold Unforgivable. It really didnt sit well and smelled kinda cheap (which it was). Creed obviously smells much nicer and always sits well on me. More uplifting where as Unforgivable was dark and kinda blah.

Quote Originally Posted by chipper View Post
    MI much better quality
    Agree