Code of Conduct

Default Question about fragrance storage

Ok, so i've used the search feature and am pretty well versed on the communities thoughts on the best way to store fragrances. I would just find a cool/dark place but my situation may require a bit more.

I live in Los Angeles in an older, uninsulated house, so when I'm gone during the day and the house is all closed up during the spring/summer, the temperature can get up to 90-100 degrees inside, and then it cools back down at night. I'm worried that this significant temperature fluctuation will toast my new fragrances.

So, I then looked into wine coolers, but from the sounds of it, they lack compressors and use some other cooling technology which I though I remember reading somewhere (maybe here?) that they aren't strong enough to offer enough cooling power (which I'd probably need if I need to get it from 90 degrees down to 50 degrees. So I started looking at regular mini-fridges (without freezers), something around 2 cubic feet, but find that many use voodoo technology as well like "thermoelectric cooling technology."

So I guess my question is two fold:
    1. Is my assumption correct that I need a cooling unit with a compressor?
    2. Does anyone have any recommendations for fridges that have worked for them?

My apologies if something along these lines has been asked before or if its posted in the wrong spot, but thanks in advance for any help.

Default Re: Question about fragrance storage

Very curious as well in responses -- I'm in a similar situation.

I live in Orange County, CA and have no concerns whatsoever about weather/ climate factors and my fragrance. A few pieces are kept out on a dresser. Others are kept in a drawer. Keeping them out of direct sunlight is more critical, IMO. YMMV.

Martin

I've got to agree with Martin. I think you'll be fine with them kept in darkness and in something (like a box) on the floor of a closet, say.

I'm sure it isn't a perfect substitute for a 50-degree fridge, and I don't mean to suggest it's as good/safe as that ideal, but it'll probably take care of you fine. Sunlight and ovens are the biggest dangers. Much of my collection is in boxes on the floor of a closet and I don't have problems with scent damage. It gets hot here in the summer too.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Sur la Plage

No need for a refrigerator. Just store in closet/drawer.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

For those of us who believe in fragrance refrigeration, I would recommend the Danby small refrigerator line with no freezer section and is frost free. Set a lowest setting it works very well keeping temperature at about 50 to 53 degees F. even in hot weather. Not too expensive, I have found this brand to be the most reliable after having gone through three other brands. I hope my experience is helpful.

Dependent

I use a temp controlled wine cooler, I try to get the most economical one. Even if you don't get one with temp indication just throw in a thermometer and you can adjust accordingly. N_tesla's got the temp pretty much right, according to Osmotheque, and Malle, with a slight variation between them (you won't have to fuss too much).

Then again, our good folks from India don't seem to have a problem with their juices. I guess I can attest to that unless they chime in and say otherwise!