Code of Conduct

Default What is the Clive Christian "House Accord?"

As a huge fan of this line, I've been trying to dissect each scent and really get go know each one. The more I understand each on their own merits, the more I find a common denominator among them. There is a "house accord', similar in the way Creed weaves ambergris throughout their line, that I find in the CC fragrances (at least in their mens line).

The note, to me, is possibly floral, oily (in a good way), textural, and opulent. I have found it in the base of "C"', the middle of "X", and throughout No. 1. After reading their individual note breakdowns, I still can't identify this wonderful accord.

Any input? Thanks!

Default Re: What is the Clive Christian "House Accord?"

Iso E Super.

Sur la Plage

Mediocrity?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Urine?

I was being serious...Geza Shoen (sp?) does their scents (although I'm not sure of the newest), and that's his signature ingredient. He also did many of the Ormonde Jayne line (Iso heavy), Wode (Iso entirely...and a cheaper alternative to the CC scents btw), and of course, Escentric Molecules.

I always got something somewhat like Italian seasoning/oregano out of the scents. Very "herbalish" and green.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Money

orris butter?

Civet, maybe frankincense?

sometimes they remind me of amouage creations, just no-where as impressive. Even though ironically, I think the best Amouage fragrances were created by Guy Robert when he still worked for them.

I think each of the men's scents from Clive Christian have their own merits. Between C, X, No. 1 and 1872, the base notes all carry a common thread of cedar wood. You could say the same thing about a number of fragrances from any house. When you start examining other notes in each of these four fragrances, they do break away from each other and become either leather and tobacco, spice and wood, oriental floral ambery and spicy citrus. To me, there is quite a bit of individuality in the four scents. I am partial to "C". I enjoy the leather and tobacco notes very much. I was disappointed by "X" and thought the cardamon, ginger and cinnamon was a spicy overload and found I couldn't wear this for very long. "No. 1" is a quiet oriental ambery scent and takes some warming up to. I'm still trying to understand this one and will test it again. "1872" was a bit of a disappointment for me. it was noted as a spicy citrus scent. The heart note of freesia and cyclamen are really pleasant but seem to carry on in this fragrance almost choking any hope of citrus notes.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go on and on.
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Flaconneur View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean to go on and on.
    Nice that someone did

And to answer the original question, dunno myself, X for Men is the only one I am familiar with and I quite like it.

Thanks for the responses! I would love to smell orris butter - I think you're on to something there! Flaconneur, thank you! Great insight!

Perhaps I'll give up identifying this accord ... as long as they smell good right?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    Perhaps I'll give up identifying this accord ... as long as they smell good right?
    I thought your question about "House Accord" was an interesting one. Considering that Clive Christian's line up is currently so small, a signature house accord might be easily established. Of course, he might run the risk of turning into a one trick pony. I think there is the possibility of some great fragrances to come from CC. I believe "C" was a good break from what was previously offered.
    - Expect the unexpected

Basenotes Institution

Personal favorite is X for men and X for women. ( I'm sorry to say the first thing that came to mind when thinking about Clive Christian's house accord was - money. ) I'm still lemming X for women !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I've come to familiarize myself with Clive Christian and while they aren't innovative, they are very well crafted. I've come to realize that all of the CC's dry down to a very expensive smelling sandalwood (mysore?). I think the No. 1 series are extremely focused on sandalwood, while the X series are chypres and focus on moss; the 1872 focus on citrus and fresh accords. I'm really perplexed by the C series; C for Men is basically Tuscan Leather and C for Women is an indolic floral. No correlation whatsoever. Although both of them smell buttery. So I guess a number of ingredients contribute to the CC's; probably sandalwood and orris butter.

Mimi: X for Women is basically Gucci Rush. Yes it smells more expensive and better made, but who am I kidding...it's Gucci Rush. I wish I knew that before purchasing it! DOPE!!! On a side note, 1872 for Men goes from a spicy, aromatic fougere and then dries down to...X for Women! WEIRD!

Basenotes Institution

Mimi: X for Women is basically Gucci Rush. Yes it smells more expensive and better made, but who am I kidding...it's Gucci Rush. I wish I knew that before purchasing it! DOPE!!! On a side note, 1872 for Men goes from a spicy, aromatic fougere and then dries down to...X for Women! WEIRD![/QUOTE]

Scent - I'll go hunt down some Gucci Rush for now! I'll take your word for it re. It being twins with X!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Over indulgence?

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Iso E Super.
    THis.
    Also Ambrox and Vetiveryl Acetate.
    Geza Schoen, perfumer of CC, reveal his most favourite notes in his Escentric Molecules line
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Like Mimi, my first thought was their house note is smell of credit card plastic.

I too like X for men, but can't bring myself to pop for it. X is the reason I found Basenotes...looking for similar scents that didn't cost a kidney.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Like Mimi, my first thought was their house note is smell of credit card plastic.

I too like X for men, but can't bring myself to pop for it. X is the reason I found Basenotes...looking for similar scents that didn't cost a kidney.
    Ormonde Man is the closest I've found to X for Men. And Jaisalmer is kind of an X for Men but with incense.