Code of Conduct

Default If im a fan of Tuscan Leather

What else should I look into ?

To my amazement I have never wore a leather fragrance and today I tried Tom Ford's Tuscan leather and WOW. I have blotter tested this a couple times and thought meh, ok. But a full wear of this I found it amazing and masculine, right up there 5 stars with my favorites. I realize it may be linear but who cares. The berry note and the smooth leather/tobacco really surprised me. I actually grabbed the wrong decant today and glad I did, I meant to use Noir de Noir but this BETTER !

Am I just tapping into the leather niche ? Where have I been ?

P.S. (And I promise never to criticize and scent until I actually wear it again. Amen.)

Default Re: If im a fan of Tuscan Leather

Try Knize 10, that is if you can find it...

also Hermes Bel Ami might interest you
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 15th January 2011 at 03:11 AM.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Derby by Guerain
    Cuir Ottoman by Parfume d'Empire

P.S.
    They all smell different from each other.

Cuiron
    by Helmut Lang

I absolutely love Tuscan Leather!

My wife and I love Tuscan Leather ( and the whole nation too - malls smell like one huge TL decant).

I tried Ottoman Cuir by Parfum d'Empire and it is definitely leather but not at all like TL. The leather smells vintage. Similar to vintage leather if you've ever smelt any. Nce but much more intense. Its the evident raspberry at the top and saffron at the base that makes it so unique.

I must try (retry) derby soon.

Ambre Fetiche by Annick Goutal has a nice prominent leather note too. Not predominantly leather but enough to qualify it as a leather perfume.

Dependent

Montale's Aoud Leather might be a close relative to TL. Aoud Cuir d'Arabie's got some similarities, but quite a different creature in the end. TL is one of my favorites too. It is safe to say I'm quite a huge fan of leather scents...

For something a little more challenging, try the almost-bone-dry and smoky Rien from Etat Libre d'Orange. I love it, but it has proved quite unwearable, where I'm from. Still some days I don't care, and just wear it... though not in recent...

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Cuir Ottoman by Parfume d'Empire
    This one.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    I absolutely love Tuscan Leather!
    Me too!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Lucky scent has Knize and already ordered that sample and a few others. Im still in awe over TL and becoming enamored slowly but surely. Im going to have to try all these suggestions. Cuir Ottoman, Derby, Helmut, (Aoud Leather on its way too). Honestly im pretty embarrassed that I have judged so many fragrances based on a simple blotter test. Im even more embarrassed that I have never tried to wear a Leather frag before and thought I wouldnt like it.

Some have compared the new Clive Christian C to TL and while I see the similarities, I own and love C and think it's a much better scent for my taste.

Of course, you'll pay twice as much for the CC name.

Tuscan Leather is a good introduction to leathers because it is quite smooth and straightforward. I second most of the suggestions, but as you'll see, they tend to be more complex in various dimensions, so it's probably good that you are trying them later after you get used to the leather idea.

For bigger, more intense leathers:
    +1 certainly for Knize Ten, which I love and consider a big step up from TL. It adds a number of notes, from gasoline to berry. Very butch. For an inexpensive, complex balsamic leather, Azuree by Estee Lauder is something to try.

For drier leathers
    +1 also for Rien, bone dry and animalic, as MFJ was saying, and with a completely different feel from the plush, armchair leather of TL. Dry, direct, almost unsettling. Another nasty dry leather, in the S&M direction, is Bandit.

For plush, easy leathers:
    Cuir de Lancome, Cuir de Russie by Chanel, or 1740 by Histoires de Parfums (the latter with a sweet component).

cacio

I am assuming I that have had a bad experience with leather altogether. It just never suited me whether it be my nose or someone around me wearing artificial crap it was just never in my mind as being positive, I am a fan. I find it hard to believe that TF TL can be topped but what do I know !? Ether way is was a nice surprise this morning to find a new love. Knize 10 interests me and Montale also Derby. If you call TL an intro to leather then what can I expect in the mail ? 8)

^^^ I agree exactly. I never really liked leather scents at all, and while I found TFTL a little too full on for me, it changed my mind about the note. now K10 is actually the only one i've liked since but i do give credit to the TFTL. I think it was the contrast of a little sweetness that made it more approachable. Many of the other leather centered frags I just find too simple and boring.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Mark Birley's new Charles Street is a lot like Tuscan Leather. Maybe too much. But from my brief test, it wears a bit lighter.

I also like Knize 10 and Royal English Leather.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    Some have compared the new Clive Christian C to TL and while I see the similarities, I own and love C and think it's a much better scent for my taste.

Of course, you'll pay twice as much for the CC name.
    +1

C for Men is a non-linear Tuscan Leather that turns into the smell of a campfire deep in a redwood forest by the basenotes.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Excellent fragrance. One of the things I enjoy most about many from the TF private collection is their masculinity. A lot of niche fragrances are very unisex.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Mark Birley's new Charles Street is a lot like Tuscan Leather. Maybe too much. But from my brief test, it wears a bit lighter.
    I like it more, TL wears too heavy.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

I think the montale and clive Christian versions of TL are just not as good.

I love Tuscan Leather, but I can't wear it alot by itself. I would always layer it with Tobacco Vanille to make it more complex.

I do like Tom Ford White Suede. I can get more use out of it and it wears better in the warmer climates, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC View Post
    I love Tuscan Leather, but I can't wear it alot by itself. I would always layer it with Tobacco Vanille to make it more complex.

I do like Tom Ford White Suede. I can get more use out of it and it wears better in the warmer climates, IMO.

Thats just it TJMAC aside from our summer months in Phoenix but I can see wearing this until it gets hot again. I mean are there ANY leathers you can wear in the warmer months ?

Clive Christian C, no thanks. 13.75 for .5ml tester at TPC ? Come on. That is steep.

Ok, Knize 10 is now on backorder in both sizes at Lucky scent. Hope they filled my sample

I seem to collect leather fragrances. For whatever reason that note just seems to sit well with me.
    My favorites at this moment are:
    Chanel's - Cuir de Russie: I have a vintage bottle that is just wonderful, smokey, smooth leather.
    Parfum d'Empire- Cuir Ottoman: Leather and Iris. Very dirty anamalic leather. Excellent.
    Knize Ten: The reference masculine leather. If you can find a bottle, buy it.
    Helmut Lang's - Cuiron - Smooth, plum and leather. Impossible to find these days. The smoothest.
    Montale has a couple leather fragrances, both of which don't do much for me.
    Tuscan Leather is fine, but like most Tom Ford fragrances I just find it a bit flat. It smells fine, but just sort of sits there. Very little magic in that one for me.
    Bel Ami is great, but I always want the leather to be stronger. I have not tried the reformulation in a while. The vintage stuff is great.
    Enjoy,

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Knize Ten.... need to pick this up soon. Not available here. Will have to be an overseas blind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Me too!
    Me three! I am saving my $$$ to get a bottle. I absolutely love this one. Thanks to Anthony for comping me a sample.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Excellent fragrance. One of the things I enjoy most about many from the TF private collection is their masculinity. A lot of niche fragrances are very unisex.
    Except for Black Orchid, it is unisex and very complex.

It seems like after so many searches that I might be interested in these:

Mark Birley's - Charles Street (Very curious)
    Chanel's - Cuir de Russie (Sounds feminine)
    Knize Ten (Im a bit reluctant, but have to try it)
    Parfum d'Empire- Cuir Ottoman (The most interesting based on the reviews)
    Helmut Lang's - Cuiron (Why was this discontinued? sounds amazing)
    Guerlain - Derby (Have to try this being Guerlain)
    Serge Lutins - Cuir Mauresque ( May sample but dont want the ambers)
    Xerjoff - Homme

This is also a note of reference for myself and will post my findings. Thank you all for your help ! I am officially on the hunt for the holy grail of leathers !

Am I forgetting any ?
    Last edited by Nersh; 16th January 2011 at 03:15 PM.

An inexpensive and realistic leather scent that I would recommend trying is Persian Leather by Caswell Massey
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post

This is also a note of reference for myself and will post my findings. Thank you all for your help ! I am officially on the hunt for the holy grail of leathers !

Am I forgetting any ?
    Very seasoned Guerlain SA and I are convinced there is no or very little leather in Derby.

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post

Chanel's - Cuir de Russie (Sounds feminine)
    Knize Ten (Im a bit reluctant, but have to try it)
    Parfum d'Empire- Cuir Ottoman (The most interesting based on the reviews)
    Helmut Lang's - Cuiron (Why was this discontinued? sounds amazing)
    Serge Lutins - Cuir Mauresque ( May sample but dont want the ambers)
    Xerjoff - Homme
    I like TL a lot. I'll look forward to your notes on Cuir Ottoman and Derby. Derby has intrigued me but I haven't sampled yet. I tend to think like all Guerlains it will very well blended and not as leather dominant as TL or some of the others referenced.

For me, Charles Street was so close to TL in my small test owning it would be redundant, but that's just my opinion. I think many people would like this one if they tried it. Knize Ten I think will be a pleasant surprise for you. Or you'll hate us all for suggesting it.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 16th January 2011 at 09:01 PM.

As Corruptedsanity, I don't detect much leather in Derby either. Nonetheless, it is very good and worth sampling.
    cacio

I did not receive all my samples but am moving on. TF TL still takes the cake. Although Knize 10 has its moments I feel like I could order a sample and wait, and still have enough time to plan on wearing this one. "Butch" was the best example of Knize 10 that I could comment on. I can see the attraction yet if I were to compare Knize 10 to a leather shoe it would be the old pair in the back of my closet.

Cuir Ottoman was a more beautiful animal but for this leather, but what I am seeking is to Unisex for me so I will move on.

Next for leathers for me:

Chanel's - Cuir de Russie (Sounds feminine based on reviews)
    Creeds - REL (Have sniffed tis in the past but need a full wearing)
    Helmut Lang - Curion (Where do you find a sample?)
    Xerjoff - Homme (Seeking this smaple)