Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Gentlemen make unsafe blind buys only!

Recent Ray Charles-esque buys: Salvador Dali Pour Homme, Iquitos, Ungaro III, Jacomo de Jacomo. And I deny blind buying Playboy New York, even if I'm on store cameras doing so (not so swaggerworthy at $15).

Who wants to bankroll complete fragrance foolishness? Not me! From what I've read here and being fond of the vetiver genre, I have reason to believe I might like Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire. I'll be near a Barney's tomorrow and will drop in, squirt some VE on and mill around a bit before making a yay or nay determination. I've made enough mistakes already. 1/27/11 follow up: So glad I tried the Malle VE first! Unpleasantly shrill opening and short legs. No go. Also tried the Mark Birley Charles Street. If you'd like to smell like a pipe tobacco humidor, this scent is for you! I pass.

Martin
    Last edited by Jazznpool; 28th January 2011 at 02:56 AM.

Cooooooooooo coooooooooo cooooooooo coooooooooooo,

Foghorn J., I say, Foghorn J. Leghorn (in humanspeak),

...recently blind bought Zinh Corduroy and Cadillac....bad move. They're both up for sale.

Thanks for the "opening" DustB !
    FOR SALE CHEAP !!.....two blind buys that didn't work for me : 4.2oz CORDUROY by Zirh EDT and 3.4 oz CADILLAC EDT; both like new !

Great thread mate!

I agree, with no tongue-in-cheek at all. What makes blind buying so special is the anticipation. Whenever you buy blind, there has to be a chance it's the best stuff ever. Sometimes I even buy blind over a fragrance I like very very much, just for this slight possibility.

Now that I look at my wardrobe I would say most of my buy were blind or based upon a quick smell at the store. However, if I am putting more than $50 into it I want a sample or decant first.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Basenotes Institution

Well I don't know if I'd call unsafe blind buying gentlemanly, but it can be a lot of fun (and a lot of headache too).

The last successful blind buy I did was Scent Two: Laurel (which by coincidence was my SOTD today). However, I must admit, most my blind buys are Guerlain's.
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I don't do blind buys doooooh-dah, do-daaaah.
    i'm safe a-doooooh-dah-day
    Last edited by PerfumeCollector; 28th January 2011 at 01:49 AM.

I just bought 100ml of Ungaro II blind. What can I say? All the rumors of civet filled me with morbid curiosity, like driving by a car crash. Perhaps it will be a rude awakening.

Not sure that this counts as a fully "tackle out" manoeuvre, though. It wouldn't be hard to unload a discontinued fragrance that has a small but fervent following.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

lol I blindbought Parfum d'Habit. Turns out its a really safe frag for my nose.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I buy a a lot on eBay, and since I am always looking for a different fragrance, something unique, I take chances regularly. I am a blind-buying fool, and only 2 out of every 10 fragrances I buy work out. I resell them, but the thrill of the chase is the fun off it, the rush of it, the almost orgasmic experience of it! I will blind buy on the costly ones, but I really try to find the ones that slipped under the noses of others or flew under the radar, such as one that I just got called Tabac Man. I later spotted Tabac Original in Perfumanaia, but not Tabac Man (even though I see it's on their website). It was a surprise, and is a very good and spicy scent.

Here are my 3 levels of blind-buying:
    1. "Balls out, lights out" blind-buying: spending big cheese (money) on untested and possibly unknown fragrances (I may be late on the Jo Malone boat, but this is one of the ships I am referring to).
    2. "Patch over one eye" blind-buying: this means that you haven't heard of the frag and you are willing to take a shot, but the risk is moderate if not minimal. In other words, you hope the frag doesn't smell as chaep as what you have paid for it!
    3. "Peek-a-boo" blind buying: this is where you have some familiarity with the designer or the line- like Dior and Allure, but you've never seen or smelled Allure Edition Blanche until you run across it on the net. Hmmm...odds are in your favor (if you like Allure or other Dior fragrances), but you are still taking a risk. Its like asking out a pretty girl who should turn out to be a winner, but you are still not sure whether she is annoying or has disgusting habits! Maybe she's bad in bed!!

I love the thrill of the chase- to say that I own a great fragrance that most have never experienced or even heard of is the pure rush. Finding a great blind buy fragrance is what brings me to climax...anyone got a cigarette???!!!!

Hi. Here are 3 of my real blind-buy winners:

1."Balls out, lights out" blind buy: Jo Malone Amber & Patchouli Intense

2. "Patch over one eye" blind buy: Gingham Summit for Men by Bath & Body Works

3. "Peek-a-boo" blind buy: ck shock by Calvin Klein (which could also qualify as a patch over the eye blind buy)

I will update each successful blind buy. Thanks basenoters!!!

I have to mention this: my next BIG blind buy will either be Montale Dew Musk or Jo Malone's Fresh Mint Leaf...both well over $100.00 but I still consider them to be "Peek-a-boo" blind buys!